The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab

The Near Witch (edition 2011)

by Victoria Schwab

Member:BookishBrunette
Title:The Near Witch
Authors:Victoria Schwab
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2011), Hardcover, 288 pages
Collections:Your library, Wishlist

The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab

This was fine. Nothing outstanding, just pretty basic fair for a YA book. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Nutshell review: Beautifully written (I won't use the word "lyrical," but something close to that) fairy tale/ghost story mix. It is pretty slow-paced, more so than I like, but there are some genuinely suspenseful and SCARY bits; very moody, I guess, overall. I loved how the moor setting was its own character, and some of the human characters were very layered and interesting, eg her mom (loved watching her). I wanted to know more about the world they were in and some aspects of the ending were a little too neatly tied together. ( )
  Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |
  Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |
I've picked this book for the author's voices, conveying a dark atmosphere for the night, and a light one for the day.

Some kind of a Piper of Hamelin story. Children are disappearing. It might be connected to a strange boy on the moor, or some atrocity the village commited long ago. Lexie, a teenager, must find the children before her little sister will disappear, too.

The magical system resembles fairy tales - witches can do certain things, there are no real explanations given. Instead, the focus of the book is more on personal interaction. ( )
  hnau | Nov 28, 2014 |
The villagers warn their children of the witch of Near. Many years later the warnings become a reality as the children disappear from their beds at night. Something is luring them away.

Lexi has learned how to track from her father. She is determined to find and bring the children home. With the help of the mysterious stranger that she names Cole, they begin to find that many legends are formed from some truth. Truth is often altered by prejudice and misinformation, just as the villagers are doing to Cole.

This book is vivid and full of originality. I enjoyed the descriptions and the bravery of one young lady who is willing to make a difference and to look for the truth, not what appears to be on the surface. ( )
  Bookworm_Lisa | Jun 19, 2014 |

The Near Witch is only an old story told to frighten children.

If the wind calls at night, you must not listen. The wind is lonely, and always looking for company.

And there are no strangers in the town of Near.

These are the truths that Lexi has heard all her life.

But when an actual stranger—a boy who seems to fade like smoke—appears outside her home on the moor at night, she knows that at least one of these sayings is no longer true.

The next night, the children of Near start disappearing from their beds, and the mysterious boy falls under suspicion. Still, he insists on helping Lexi search for them. Something tells her she can trust him.

As the hunt for the children intensifies, so does Lexi’s need to know—about the witch that just might be more than a bedtime story, about the wind that seems to speak through the walls at night, and about the history of this nameless boy.

Part fairy tale, part love story, Victoria Schwab’s debut novel is entirely original yet achingly familiar: a song you heard long ago, a whisper carried by the wind, and a dream you won’t soon forget.

Sixteen-year-old Lexi, who lives on an enchanted moor at the edge of the village of Near, must solve the mystery when, the day after a mysterious boy appears in town, children start disappearing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,427,286 books! | Top bar: Always visible