Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick

Authors:Ilsa J. Bick
Info:EgmontUSA (2011), Hardcover, 480 pages
Tags:Ilsa Bick, zombies, post-apocalyptic, book 1

Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick

English (91)  Italian (1)  All languages (92)
Egalley thanks to Egmont USA

I have mixed feelings about this book. The synopsis is pretty much relevant to the first half of the book. It's amazing, scary, real and very gory.

Alex goes camping into the mountains to think about committing suicide. Alex has got brain tumor, and it's at such stage, nothing works anymore. She can't smell or taste anything and her memories are fading.

The morning before the electromagnetic impulses strike the Earth, she meets eight year-old Ellie and her grandfather. After the impulse, everything changes. Billions of people die, most of the younger generations change as their brains are scrambled and they become feral cannibals. No electricity means no cooling system for nuclear reactors around the world... Everything explodes, radiation is rampant, people flee and kill and rob you of everything. No governments, everything is falling apart.

Ilsa J. Bick draws a very believable picture of what would have happened after such a disaster. Alex takes Ellie who survives and meets Tom, a young soldier on leave from Afghanistan and they decide to head North, where there will be less people and chaos.

Their fight for survival is extremely tough, some scenes are almost too scary to read...

Then abruptly everything changes. Second half of the book is like a Changeling instead of a real baby. It slows down, Alex gets stuck in a small religious community and can't decide if she wants to leave despite lots of things which she doesn't like there.

Her indecision, the slow and murky plot was getting to me. There are plot lines which are just left hanging without any conclusion, and of course there is a huge cliffhanger (I hate cliffhangers if you must know). I had more questions in the end than answers, and I honestly don't know if I would want to read book #2. We'll see. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
I liked the first half of this book but about half way through it suddenly gets stupid. ( )
  Iceform | May 31, 2015 |
holy crap amazing. way better than even THE WALKING DEAD. can't wait to start SHADOWS! :) ( )
  ohkamikaze | Feb 11, 2015 |
I'll knock a star off for YA romance shenanigans, but other than that, this is great - an apocalypse plus zombies that is not actually a zombie apocalypse, covering everything from wilderness survival to creepy cult towns. And all in the first book of the trilogy! I ( )
  jen.e.moore | Oct 22, 2014 |
Ashes By Ilsa J Bick This book started out with me just wanting to kick an 8 year old's whiney butt. She did get better once the story got rolling so I gave in and didn't run her down.

This book was really good read for me. Had some survival skills going on and of course the kids in the story that have been "changed". Not really zombies because they are still alive but yes alive and eating other peoples is still pretty gross. But what do I do? Read every thing I can get my greedy little hands on that have to do with them.
Poor Alex's character in this book just couldn't win for losing. You would think that she was going to catch a break and bam! it would go against her every stinking time. The whole thing with the dogs though. That was pretty cool that they could sense who was about to turn or "change."

Alright;I hate giving things away in my reviews but I just put in at the library for the rest of this series and most series books just tick me off. So that's says something about how much I liked this one. ( )
  bookqueenshelby | Sep 9, 2014 |

Ilsa J. Bickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I tell you the past is a bucket of ashes...Carl Sandburg
For David, now and always.
Prolouge: "Where are you?" Aunt Hannah demanded as soon as Alex thumbed talk.
Chapter 1: Four days later, Alex perched on a knuckle of bone-cold rock and whittled an alder branch to a toothpick as she waited for her coffee water to boil.

Alex, a resourceful seventeen-year-old running from her incurable brain tumor, Tom, who has left the war in Afghanistan, and Ellie, an angry eight-year-old, join forces after an electromagnetic pulse sweeps through the sky and kills most of the world's population, turning some of those who remain into zombies and giving the others superhuman senses.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,864,316 books! | Top bar: Always visible