Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick

Info:EgmontUSA (2011), Hardcover, 480 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Ilsa Bick, zombies, post-apocalyptic, book 1

Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick

English (96)  Italian (1)  All languages (97)
This is my type of book. It has a strong female lead, it is a post-apocalyptic, survivialist story with very interesting characters and some weird cult-like community where there is a pending rebellion. I was on the edge of my seat the first half of the book and the pace slowed down the second half, but the story had me hooked and I feel like I need to know what happened to specific characters. Not really a zombie book, just some crazed teenagers. If you don't like books that leave you hanging with a lot of unexplained questions, this isn't for you. A lot happens in the book and I imagine the pending sequel will answer a lot of questions. If you are a dog lover there are lots of dogs, but there are also some sad scenes with wild dogs, so be aware. 4.5/5 ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
I have had Ashes by Ilsa W Bick on my Kindle for quite some time, in fact I have the whole trilogy waiting for me to get around to it. It got off to a very promising start and I was looking forward to reading it, but it quickly settled into a humdrum YA apocalyptic story where the romance between the various characters seemed more important than the fact that the world was in extreme crisis. Also it left off very abruptly with the main character in a precarious position which didn’t sit right with me. I don’t mind, in a trilogy, if certain aspects of the storyline are left dangling, but would rather each volume has at least one completed storyline. In this book, the main character stumbles into a clearing, realizes she is surrounded by five enemies and there the book ends.

The story started out very good indeed with a cataclysmic occurrence that leaves main character, seventeen year old Alex stranded in the woods with a eight year old child. She eventually meets a young soldier on leave, and these three bond together as they learn to survive. Halfway through the book this small party is broken up and the writing changes to a more abrupt style. New characters are introduced and the plot goes off in an entirely new direction. I found this very off-putting

I do have the other two volumes and have planned on reading them this year, so I will soon find out what happens in that clearing, but at this point I am not particularly looking forward to continuing on with this trilogy and if the second volume annoys me as much as this first one did, I may abandon volume three entirely. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jan 17, 2016 |
  lkmuir | Dec 8, 2015 |

Ilsa J. Bickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I tell you the past is a bucket of ashes...Carl Sandburg
For David, now and always.
Prolouge: "Where are you?" Aunt Hannah demanded as soon as Alex thumbed talk.
Chapter 1: Four days later, Alex perched on a knuckle of bone-cold rock and whittled an alder branch to a toothpick as she waited for her coffee water to boil.

Alex, a resourceful seventeen-year-old running from her incurable brain tumor, Tom, who has left the war in Afghanistan, and Ellie, an angry eight-year-old, join forces after an electromagnetic pulse sweeps through the sky and kills most of the world's population, turning some of those who remain into zombies and giving the others superhuman senses.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,907,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible