Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick

Info:EgmontUSA (2011), Hardcover, 480 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Ilsa Bick, zombies, post-apocalyptic, book 1

Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick

English (99)  Italian (1)  All languages (100)
Ashes? Why is the book even called Ashes? Does anyone know? When I read a book I always try to relate the title to the story and when I can't it bugs the shit out of me. The only thing I can think of is it refers to the ashes Alex carries around of her parents. She is suppose to be letting go of their ashes and the past. Maybe that's it- that makes sense I guess but the face on the cover is creepy not sure how that ties in and relates to ashes. Sorry I'm rambling...: )

Anyways, I don't really know what I think about this book. I have mixed feelings about it. Ellie, the 8 year old that travels with Alex at the beginning of the journey after the EMP event is just a complete a brat. If you listen to the audio book like I did you will get the full effect of her whining and bitching and crying which makes it even harder to listen to. I fast forwarded through a lot of her tantrums. Once she was out of the picture I started enjoying it more. Then the story really takes a huge turn. The first half of the book and the second half are really different. The second half isn't bad, I liked it probably more then the first but I just never got this "omg this is a wonderful book" feeling. I'm going to start listening to the next audio book in the series out of sheer curiosity but at this point I don't know if I'll finish it. It depends on what crazy turn the author has in store next I suppose. ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
Interesting take on the whole zombie thing. And hardly any zombies at all, I might add. The cover is my least favorite thing about this book. In fact, if I hadn't been using the library catalog to look up zombies, I never, ever would have picked up this book. Luckily Bick said the cover is being revamped on the next release, so that's good. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Wow. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Ashes
5 Stars

Seeking the peace and solitude of the Waucamaw Wilderness, Alex’s life is suddenly turned upside down when an electromagnetic pulse results in the destruction of all technological devices and the deaths of the majority of adults on the planet. Stranded in the woods with only her wits, tenacity and indomitable spirit, Alex must survive the dangers approaching from all directions whether animal, human or supernatural.

As someone who is not very familiar with the post-apocalyptic genre, the various elements come across to me as original and compelling. The story is well-written with a simple narrative structure and solid pacing; the characterization is believable and the world building engrossing with exceptional description and attention to detail that does not become tedious and/or overwhelming. That said, there are some graphic and gruesome depictions that might not appeal to all readers.

Alex is an engaging heroine. Fiercely independent and mature for her years, which is understandable given her life experience. She deals with the day to day difficulties of surviving the end of the world with strength and resilience.

The secondary cast is quite large and it takes time to become familiar with the different people and their relation to Alex and to each other. Nevertheless, they are all portrayed realistically and Bick shows tremendous insight into all facets of human nature.

The scientific explanations for the apocalyptic disaster are both original and logical. Too often authors in this genre fail to provide a credible account, but this is not the case here. Although the zombies are of the usual cannibalistic type, Bick adds an interesting twist in terms of both their age and the possibility that external forces might be in play.

In sum, a captivating read and I look forward to discovering the answers to the numerous questions evoked in the book.
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
As far as zombie apocalypse novels go, this underwhelms. It started with a bang and then really fizzled once Alex made it to the village of Rule. It didn't inspire me to read the sequels. ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |

Ilsa J. Bickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I tell you the past is a bucket of ashes...Carl Sandburg
For David, now and always.
Prolouge: "Where are you?" Aunt Hannah demanded as soon as Alex thumbed talk.
Chapter 1: Four days later, Alex perched on a knuckle of bone-cold rock and whittled an alder branch to a toothpick as she waited for her coffee water to boil.

Alex, a resourceful seventeen-year-old running from her incurable brain tumor, Tom, who has left the war in Afghanistan, and Ellie, an angry eight-year-old, join forces after an electromagnetic pulse sweeps through the sky and kills most of the world's population, turning some of those who remain into zombies and giving the others superhuman senses.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,108,102 books! | Top bar: Always visible