H Is for Homicide by Sue Grafton

H Is for Homicide (edition 1997)

by Sue Grafton

Member:TerriBooks
Title:H Is for Homicide
Authors:Sue Grafton
Info:Ballantine Books (1997), Edition: First Edition, Paperback
Collections:Your library, Audiobooks, Fiction

H is for Homicide by Sue Grafton (Author)

Recently added byprivate library, scottsdalebookgirl, IamFluff, RuthieD, dm13, LEFraser, atcolorado, paulsjsu

English (24)  Spanish (1)  All languages (25)
I’ve been reading this series for a few months and I love it. I love starting a new Kinsey Millhone novel because I know it’s going to be great. Some of them are harder to pick up and some are gripping from the first page. This one was slower to get into. It took about 50 pages before I really was into it, but then I was sucked in. The plot didn’t come out until about 25 pages in and even then I didn’t really know where or how it was going to go. I didn’t think it would be a great story and was worried this would be the first that I didn’t really like. But it ended up being in top 3 by the end. There were twists and turns along the way but the biggest blow came in a huge plot twist at the end that caused me to actually set the book down so I could process it. Grafton brought in a new type of mystery. Kinsey, for the first time in her career, did undercover work. Because of that, it was a different flow to the story and didn’t writing because she had to be someone else. Once I got used to the differences, it was a great book. I would recommend it to every mystery lover. ( )
  beearedee | Mar 18, 2014 |
The situation that Kinsey Millhone finds herself in is completely different than other stories in the series. That's one of the things that keeps it interesting! The characters are well developed. I feel like I know exactly who they are by the end of the book. The situation keeps the tension high while you try to figure out how she can extricate herself from the trouble she's found herself in.

It begins with the death of a insurance adjuster that Kinsey is familiar with. Kinsey is asked by the insurance company to investigate some traffic accident claims as there seems to be a fraud ring involved. By the time it's all over, Kinsey has gotten herself thrown in jail to stick with her suspect and then, when released, smack dab in the middle of the fraud ring herself. She needs to get away from these guys and get back to her own life but it will be a dangerous situation to try to get away from.

If you've never read a Kinsey Millhone story, I wouldn't start with this one. You need to read a few others so you know who she is but if you've read some of the others, you'll enjoy this one!

Mrsbaty | Jan 15, 2014 |
  cmakny | Aug 14, 2013 |
Audiobook. Very good series to listen to while exercising and doing housework. I will definitely continue to listen to and/or read them. ( )
  Barb_H | Apr 1, 2013 |
In this eighth book of the series, Kinsey branches out a bit, reluctantly, into undercover work. It gives us a little something different and opens up the character to us in some new ways. I really enjoyed this book--Grafton seems to be able to avoid falling into a rut with a long series with this one. Easy and entertaining, it doesn't ask a lot of the reader. ( )
  TerriBooks | Nov 25, 2012 |

Joyce Dobry

Margaret Warner
           Georgina Morin
           and Barbara Knox

sharing tears and triumphs, rage and laughter, for the last five years of Monday nights.
Looking back, it's hard to remember if the low morale at California Fidelity originated with the death of one of the claims adjusters or the transfer of Gordon Titus, an "efficiency expert" from the Palm Springs office, who was brought in to bolster profits.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0449219461, Mass Market Paperback)

"THE LADY CAN WRITE . . .

Any reader who needs a smart and sassy P.I. would do well to hire Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone. . . . H' is for Homicide continues to show the author in strong storytelling form. . . . [It] finds Kinsey Millhone working on a case involving the death of a claims adjuster for a California insurance company. The story takes her into the Los Angeles barrio in pursuit of a violent criminal, into jails and hospitals, and into a grungy bar named the Meat Locker. . . . Count on Millhone not only to corner the murderer but also to make a statement against the foibles of the insurance game."
--The New York Times

"The eighth in Grafton's bestselling series is perhaps the wildest ride yet. . . . Grafton's skill with dialogue, her vivid characterizations and California scenery are priceless. . . . There are moments when the tension becomes so unbearable that you are tempted to skip paragraphs out of self-preservation."
--USA Today

"One of the best . . . A vivid, funny portrait of life in an ethnic underworld, viewed without judgment. Suspense there is, plentifully, and a final suggestion that Kinsey will be exploring different mischiefs next time. Outstanding."
--Los Angeles Times

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:32 -0400)

Kinsey Millhone working on a case involving the death of a claims adjuster for a California insurance company. The story takes her into the Los Angeles barrio in pursuit of a violent criminal, into jails and hospitals, and into a grungy bar named the Meat Locker. . . . Count on Millhone not only to corner the murderer but also to make a statement against the foibles of the insurance game.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,523,364 books! | Top bar: Always visible