Good Enough to Eat by Stacey Ballis

by Stacey Ballis

Good Enough to Eat by Stacy Ballis
308 pages

★★★

Melanie Hoffman is nearly 40, married, owns her own business, and recently lost half her bodyweight – going from 290 pounds to 145. She thinks she has it made until one day her husband of nearly 10 years announces he is leaving her…for a woman twice her weight. She is then forced to re-evaluate her relationships and life.

This is your typical chick-lit fluff read. Woman has it made, woman’s life falls apart, woman must find her way again in the big, scary world. You know the premise. It started out strongly but at the end, I felt she hadn’t learned a darn thing. Plus, I’m always annoyed by characters who complain about money problems then continuously spend money. I wish my lack of money meant I could go out to eat daily and buy what I want when I want. Obviously these character’s sense of being poor is a little off from my own. It had too squishy of a “and the lived happily ever after…” given the issues and many problems didn’t actually seem to get resolved…just pushed to the side. A quick, fluffy read. Nothing wrong with that, not every book needs to have a deep meaning. Would have given the book a 2.5 rating but I liked all the recipes in the back of the book, often showing two recipes for the same thing – a decadent version and a more health conscious version, boosting it to a 3 star at the very end. ( )
  UberButter | Feb 9, 2016 |
Cute and easy but this genre is just not my cup of tea. I struggled with the message of the novel too as it is the opposite of accepting all body types. In that aspect, it was very disappointing. I really need to stay away from women’s fiction.
  jmchshannon | Oct 18, 2015 |
I read this for the Just For Fun Challenge which encourages reading one book that has been on the TBR shelf for a long time and without doing a review. I still rated this book though and I loved it. ( )
  Carolee888 | Jul 16, 2014 |
Mini-Review:

Melanie lost 145 pounds in two years. After successfully completing her weight loss goal, her husband tells her he wants a divorce. He's fallen in love with someone else. A woman twice the size that Melanie used to be.

Instead of allowing herself to wallow in self-pity, Melanie decides to quit her corporate job and follow her dreams: opening a gourmet shop. When the shop is up and running, Melanie soon faces a dire financial situation that forces her to take in a roommate.

Good Enough to Eat is a novel about starting over, having the courage to pursue one's dreams and the strength to love again. Sometimes we find ourselves on an unfamiliar path, but if we are patient it will lead us to where we were meant to be. Highly recommended. ( )
  scoutlee | May 26, 2011 |
I loved this book! A feel good story about what can happen to ordinary people when life decides to throw them a curve. A book about food, family and friends; recipes included! [Jackie, director]
  jackiemcd | Dec 23, 2010 |

The last thing Melanie expected to lose when she went on a diet was her husband.

Former lawyer Melanie Hoffman lost half her body weight and opened a gourmet take-out café specializing in healthy and delicious food. Then her husband left her-for a woman twice her size. Immediately afterwards, she's blindsided by a financial crisis. Melanie reaches out to a quirky roommate with a ton of baggage and becomes involved in a budding romance with a local documentary filmmaker.

In this warm and often laugh-out-loud novel, Melanie discovers that she still has a lot to learn about her friends, her relationships with men, and herself-and that her weight loss was just the beginning of an amazing journey that will transform her life from the inside out..

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:55 -0400)

Melanie loses a large amount of weight and learns to eat healthy, but when her husband leaves her for a heavier woman, she is forced reexamine her own goals and her relationships with friends, family, and men.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,319,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible