Her by Laura Zigman
157476,038 (3)3

Funny story of one woman's insecurity about her fiance's perfect ex and how obsession can turn one into a raving lunatic. The book would have been better as a short story, as a novel, it gets repetitive and predictable. ( )
  emigre | Feb 4, 2010 |
I don’t know why I keep picking up these chick books. Very rarely are they any good. This one was just plain stupid and I skimmed more than I read. Elise gets neurotic over the reattachment of Donald and Adrienne. When she gets into town, she is so gorgeous and sure of herself and perfect in every way that she takes over Elise’s friends. They think she’s being paranoid. And she is. I didn’t see any ‘evil’ in Adrienne. If it was there, the author did a lousy job of showing us. There weren’t any insights into Adrienne’s psyche because the whole book was written from Elise’s perspective. It fell kind of flat. I was hoping for a larger than life ex. Someone who was obviously and with malice going after Donald. Instead I got weird encounters where the three of them had dinner or hung out and scenes of Elise watching Adrienne’s house from her car. Maybe someday I’ll learn. ( )
  Bookmarque | Jun 13, 2009 |
My favorite Zigman. I have the first edition, hard cover...the topic is priceless. The cover has a photo of a woman's legs from the knees down in a pair of gray suede (?) boots. ( )
  THEsisterjanet | May 30, 2009 |
Funny!
  cat02886 | Dec 6, 2006 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375713220, Paperback)

The problem with most of the post-Bridget Jones fiction is that the dithering heroines tend to inspire impatience rather than sympathy, but in the novel Her, Laura Zigman skillfully avoids that common pitfall. Elise is engaged to be married to Donald. Displaced New Yorkers living in Washington, D.C., they bond over the foibles of life in the capital: pundits at the grocery store, power brokers at the baggage claim. Donald seems a truly amiable fellow, a fine fictional creation worth fighting over. Enter the titular her, Donald's ex-girlfriend Adrienne, a dark beauty who's catty and gracefully catlike all at once. When Adrienne relocates from New York to D.C., Elise fights a pitched battle over the hapless Donald, who of course has no idea of the warfare on his behalf. Unfortunately, Elise can be so insecure and jealous that the reader guiltily begins to root for Adrienne--at least she's got a little self-respect. Such is the power of romantic formula, however, that when it all comes right for Donald and Elise, we close the book with a satisfied feeling. --Claire Dederer

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:26 -0400)

A delightful and amusing romance that shows what happens when jealousy becomes an obsession.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,446,616 books! | Top bar: Always visible