Her by Laura Zigman
160574,566 (3)3

Her by Laura Zigman is an interesting read. As much as I/girls try to play it cool, I think we are often overanalyzing things and being jealous over the pettiest things that don’t actually matter. So it’s refreshing to read something that tells you No, you’re not the only one who thinks this way.

It was a bit heavy on the stalking and marriage talk. I wasn’t really connected with the main character. I know it’s harder in first person to know the narrator by name, since it’s not stated every other line like it might be in third person, but I only learned Elise’s name in the first part of the book, and was reminded of it once in the 2nd half. I’m not saying I don’t do that - I think it’s strange that I love writing first person because it’s so intimate, yet when it’s workshopped, most people don’t feel like they’re in the character’s head. That’s how I felt about Elise, and since I could identify that problem, I tried to learn from it and think of how I’d fix it.

I came up blank. Oh well. I guess I need to work on my first person intimacy...

It was a fun read though, and easy to get into once I could sit down and give it my full attention. Zigman has a fantastic way of ending the chapter on a cliffhanger without seeming overly dramatic. I read this book on my lunch breaks, and I’d be ready to close the book and get back to work when my eyes would flit over and see the next line of the next chapter. If the chapter endings were cliffhangers, the first sentence of the next chapters were even more intense. She’s very skilled with language, and can draw you in so completely it’s a rude awakening to come back.

The last few lines of the book are worth it alone; apparently I’m going to spoil it here, because I must share.
"Love, trust, faith - they are not equipped with radar devices,
sonar devices, night-vision devices, lifetime guarantees.
They are blind as bats.
But they are all we have.” ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
Funny story of one woman's insecurity about her fiance's perfect ex and how obsession can turn one into a raving lunatic. The book would have been better as a short story, as a novel, it gets repetitive and predictable. ( )
  emigre | Feb 4, 2010 |
I don’t know why I keep picking up these chick books. Very rarely are they any good. This one was just plain stupid and I skimmed more than I read. Elise gets neurotic over the reattachment of Donald and Adrienne. When she gets into town, she is so gorgeous and sure of herself and perfect in every way that she takes over Elise’s friends. They think she’s being paranoid. And she is. I didn’t see any ‘evil’ in Adrienne. If it was there, the author did a lousy job of showing us. There weren’t any insights into Adrienne’s psyche because the whole book was written from Elise’s perspective. It fell kind of flat. I was hoping for a larger than life ex. Someone who was obviously and with malice going after Donald. Instead I got weird encounters where the three of them had dinner or hung out and scenes of Elise watching Adrienne’s house from her car. Maybe someday I’ll learn. ( )
  Bookmarque | Jun 13, 2009 |
My favorite Zigman. I have the first edition, hard cover...the topic is priceless. The cover has a photo of a woman's legs from the knees down in a pair of gray suede (?) boots. ( )
  THEsisterjanet | May 30, 2009 |
  cat02886 | Dec 6, 2006 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375713220, Paperback)

The problem with most of the post-Bridget Jones fiction is that the dithering heroines tend to inspire impatience rather than sympathy, but in the novel Her, Laura Zigman skillfully avoids that common pitfall. Elise is engaged to be married to Donald. Displaced New Yorkers living in Washington, D.C., they bond over the foibles of life in the capital: pundits at the grocery store, power brokers at the baggage claim. Donald seems a truly amiable fellow, a fine fictional creation worth fighting over. Enter the titular her, Donald's ex-girlfriend Adrienne, a dark beauty who's catty and gracefully catlike all at once. When Adrienne relocates from New York to D.C., Elise fights a pitched battle over the hapless Donald, who of course has no idea of the warfare on his behalf. Unfortunately, Elise can be so insecure and jealous that the reader guiltily begins to root for Adrienne--at least she's got a little self-respect. Such is the power of romantic formula, however, that when it all comes right for Donald and Elise, we close the book with a satisfied feeling. --Claire Dederer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:15 -0400)

A delightful and amusing romance that shows what happens when jealousy becomes an obsession.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,872,602 books! | Top bar: Always visible