Here on Earth by Alice Hoffman

Here on Earth

by Alice Hoffman

March breaks up with her boyfriend, Hollis, and marries another. Twenty years later she visits her hometown, Hollis is a widower, and the romance resumes. But March forgot how violent he is.

I waited way too long for anything to get going in this book and it finally did...in the last few chapters. I am disappointed by yet another "Oprah pick". ( )
  LizBurkhart | Sep 5, 2019 |
This story mirrors that of Wuthering Heights but is set in the near past in a small town in the US. There are marshes rather than wild moors and a horse. It is the relationships that mirror those in Emily Bronte's masterpiece and these are just as disturbing and unfathomable. Essentially this is a novel about abuse and it is never going to be a pleasant read. March becomes such a ghost of herself, she is hardly present as she falls back into a relationship with Hollis, leaving her teenage daughter to navigate her own relationship. Cruel and strangely compelling. ( )
1 vote Tifi | Jul 7, 2019 |
Here on Earth is one of those rare books without a single likable character. It's a truly awful read with a boring and unoriginal plot. I don't know why people like Alice Hoffman so much; I'm always disappointed by her books. ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
Here on Earth is a modern retelling of Wuthering Heights. It is set in a small town in Massachusetts called Jenkintown that is brought to life with all the magical description Alice Hoffman is known for. I admit I was a little dubious. I love the Bronte's books, and so often retellings can go very wrong. Here on Earth is not a direct retelling; certainly, Heathcliff or Hollis is not quite the tragic and heroic figure of the original. Each character is drawn to be true to a modern setting, and that is all right. Indeed, it makes for a compelling story in its own right, even for readers not familiar with the original.
I really loved this book. I'm a fan of Alice Hoffman regardless, but this is one of her better efforts in my opinion. ( )
  N.W.Moors | Mar 24, 2018 |
This book suckered me a little, but I respect it for doing so. Most times when someone reconnects with their first love in a book, you can't help rooting for that love to triumph. Here, that's exactly what happened-- March and Hollis were young and devoted to each other, but he left town to make his fortune and she eventually gave up waiting on him. Fast-forward a couple of decades, and when March comes back to town for a funeral, she and Hollis reconnect. At first it's very much the lovey-dovey kind of thing I expected from a story about a reunion of first loves, but then Alice Hoffman does what she does best: she uses heartbreakingly beautiful descriptors to paint a world that's dark and even a little grim, but one from which you can't tear your eyes away. ( )
1 vote BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
For countless kindnesses and twenty years of generosity and support the author wishes to thank Elaine Markson.
To E.B.
Tonight, the hay in the fields is already brittle with frost, especially to the west of Fox Hill, where the pastures shone like stars.

After nineteen years in California, March Murray returns to the small Massachusetts town where she grew up. For all this time, March has been avoiding her own troubled history, but when she encounters Holis, the boy she loved so desperately, the man who has never forgotten her - the past collides with the present as their reckless love is reignited. This dark romantic tale asks whether it is possible to survive a love that consumes you. The answers that March Murray discovers are both heartbreaking and wise, as complex as they are devastating - for in heaven and in our dreams, love is simple and glorious. But it is something altogether different here on earth... (0-425-16731-3)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,539,575 books! | Top bar: Always visible