Here on Earth by Alice Hoffman

Here on Earth (edition 1997)

by Alice Hoffman

Member:DieFledermaus
Title:Here on Earth
Authors:Alice Hoffman
Info:
Rating:***
Tags:American, 20th Century, Literary Fiction

Here on Earth by Alice Hoffman

When I found out that Here on Earth was inspired by Wuthering Heights, I knew I had to read it. Most of the novels I've read by Hoffman have been really enjoyable, and Here on Earth didn't disappoint. Often, retellings are just modern versions of the same exact story that follows the same plot. What this story does, while retaining many similarities to Wuthering Heights, is maintain originality. The plot doesn't run parallel with the classic, which I really appreciated.

I enjoyed the characters, even though I wanted to smack a few of them. I found Hollis, the Heathcliff-inspired character, to be even more of a villain, yet March was definitely more subdued than Cathy. At first, I wondered if the passion would be subdued as well, but found it to be dark and destructively passionate as its muse. ( )
  LauraT81 | Jul 6, 2014 |
A well-written story about love and obsession. March Murray returns for the funeral of the woman who raised her, and finds again the love of her youth. Hollis, who was raised in March's home, has been waiting for her return, for the one thing he never found. The story of Hollis and March, and of March's daughter Gwen, the story of how love in a small town changes them irrevocably, is excellent reading.

Hoffman's characterizations are believable, but a large part of what I enjoyed about the story was the descriptions of the Massachusetts town and countryside as the seasons progressed. Hoffman can really make a picture come to life with her words. ( )
  wareagle78 | Mar 22, 2014 |
Deeply horrible, with unrealistic, unlikeable characters. Wuthering Heights has never been my favorite Brontë novel, but seeing how badly this knock-off failed has filled me with new appreciation for the original. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
I read this book years ago and it has stayed with me. It is a modern Wuthering Heights story. I love all of Alice Hoffman's books, but this one has stayed with me the most. She captures the dark intensity of emotions that so many people are afraid to acknowledge and explore. I'd love to do an adult book discussion some day comparing and contrasting this book and Bronte's Wuthering Heights. ( )
  Angelina-Justice | Feb 3, 2014 |
This book was a page turner and at times the story was emotionally engaging. However, at other times it seemed formulaic. Halfway through the book it was obvious how the main protagonist would come to his end because the author made sure mention the dangerous intersection in every other chapter. Also, I thought the ending was a bit abrupt and it left me disappointed. ( )
  artwench | Dec 18, 2013 |
For countless kindnesses and twenty years of generosity and support the author wishes to thank Elaine Markson.
To E.B.
Tonight, the hay in the fields is already brittle with frost, especially to the west of Fox Hill, where the pastures shone like stars.

After nineteen years in California, March Murray returns to the small Massachusetts town where she grew up. For all this time, March has been avoiding her own troubled history, but when she encounters Holis, the boy she loved so desperately, the man who has never forgotten her - the past collides with the present as their reckless love is reignited. This dark romantic tale asks whether it is possible to survive a love that consumes you. The answers that March Murray discovers are both heartbreaking and wise, as complex as they are devastating - for in heaven and in our dreams, love is simple and glorious. But it is something altogether different her one earth... (0-425-16731-3)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0425169693, Mass Market Paperback)

In this first-rate "tape turner" Hoffman once again proves her powers as a storyteller. Dialogue rings remarkably true in this reading by Susan Ericksen, which also brings out the incisive details and keen observations on nature, both human and otherwise, that Hoffman carefully deploys in this masterful narrative.

When March Murray travels East with her teenage daughter to attend the funeral of the beloved housekeeper who looked after her when she was growing up, March's past comes rushing up to meet her. The present is quickly dominated by the lurking presence of her former lover, Hollis, who has patiently awaited her long overdue return. The tale is populated by those for whom love brings more sorrow than happiness: a woman afraid to commit to a relationship, a husband in love with someone other than his wife, two young people who fall for each other only to find they are close relatives, and the self-destructing love of Hollis and March. While love has the power to transform those who fall under its spell--devotion to an old racehorse turns March's daughter, a sullen teenager, into a strong young woman--the love March herself suffers robs her of nearly all sense and goodness. Hoffman deftly weaves her characters' stories against a vivid New England landscape where the past always has a grip on the present. And the listener is left at the end both satisfied and longing to hear more. --Anne Depue

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:51 -0400)

A middle-aged woman, along with her fifteen-year-old daughter, returns to her small Massachusetts hometown for the funeral of the housekeeper who raised her and finds herself thrust into the lives of the people she left behind.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,391,733 books! | Top bar: Always visible