HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Here on Earth by Alice Hoffman
Loading...

Here on Earth (edition 1997)

by Alice Hoffman

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
2,417412,568 (3.47)60
Member:DieFledermaus
Title:Here on Earth
Authors:Alice Hoffman
Info:Berkley (1999), Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Your library
Rating:***
Tags:American, 20th Century, Literary Fiction

Work details

Here on Earth by Alice Hoffman

None.

Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 60 mentions

Showing 1-5 of 41 (next | show all)
This book suckered me a little, but I respect it for doing so. Most times when someone reconnects with their first love in a book, you can't help rooting for that love to triumph. Here, that's exactly what happened-- March and Hollis were young and devoted to each other, but he left town to make his fortune and she eventually gave up waiting on him. Fast-forward a couple of decades, and when March comes back to town for a funeral, she and Hollis reconnect. At first it's very much the lovey-dovey kind of thing I expected from a story about a reunion of first loves, but then Alice Hoffman does what she does best: she uses heartbreakingly beautiful descriptors to paint a world that's dark and even a little grim, but one from which you can't tear your eyes away. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
March Murray has returned to her small New England town with her teen-aged daughter Gwen to attend the funeral of the family housekeeper who helped raise March after March's mother died. March was 11 years old, her brother Alan was 21, when March's father inexplicably brings home a homeless 13 year old boy named Hollis. Alan immediately dislikes the boy and is cruelly jealous; March, however, is infatuated and as they grow older she and Hollis become inseparable and finally lovers. When March and Alan's father dies Alan finally has the upper hand and lets Hollis know that he is no longer wanted. A brokenhearted March watches Hollis leave town vowing to wait for his return. After several years with no word from Hollis March marries and moves to California. During the next 15 years Hollis returns a wealthy man and buys up most of the small New England town. When March returns for the funeral she is destined to face Hollis and the past she left behind. But Hollis has changed and March is about to enter a dangerous relationship.

I hated Hollis, I hated March and I hated this book. March easily wins the prize for the stupidest woman in fiction. Seriously, she is so blinded by lust that she forgets she has a daughter, forgets how to dress and bathe, and debases herself for a man? Hollis is a cartoon - every woman wants him and every man hates him. It's a good thing part of my job is to do book repairs at the library because I so want to tear this book from its binding. Did I say I hated it?
( )
  Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |
OBC, very dark love story. Woman comes back to boy she knew, but he's become abusive and possessive. Will she finally see the relationship for what it is, not what it was? ( )
  nancynova | Sep 12, 2015 |
Cumbres Borrascosas en el presente y con el punto de vista exacto .

Vayamos al grano ...

A la novela de Alice Hoffman , que es una visión moderna sobre el clásico de Emily Bronte .

Y acá está March Murray (Cathy Earnshaw) , y su hija Gwen (Cathy Linton-Heathcliff) volviendo a Fox Hill (Cumbres Borrascosas) sólo por un funeral , pero también por el motivo oculto de la madre de volver a ver a quien ha herido en el pasado . Y quién más puede ser que Hollis (Heathcliff) , que la ha esperado toda su vida , demasiado orgulloso para buscar pero sí demasiado malvado como para sentarse a esperar .

Ahí comienza HERE ON EARTH .

Alice Hoffman es una de las pocas autoras que ha entendido realmente la naturaleza de Heathcliff , la única quizá (de las que leí , obvio ) que ha comprendido porqué el personaje actúa como lo hace y cómo se portaría realmente en el día de hoy . Y Más bien , como lo veríamos hoy las mujeres . Porque Hollis no es más que un abusador , un hombre que escapa a la cordura y no ve más allá de tener y tener sin prestar . Ve las cosas como posesiones a conseguir y a la mujer que ama como una cosa , siendo el resultado de esa manera de verla , lo que los llevará a los dos a un futuro deprimente y solitario para ambos .

Hollis es el psicópata en el que pensamos cuando se habla de violencia de género y sus hechos son imperdonables .

Cuando Emily Bronte escribió Cumbres Borrascosas , nunca fue su idea que Heathcliff fuera tratado como lo fue (ese ídolo Byrónico que enternece a las mujeres ) . Lo demuestra en su novela , pero la mayoría parece haberse olvidado que era él quien cagaba a palos a Isabella , a su hijo , a Hareton y a Cathy Linton . Todos se olvidan de la segunda parte de Cumbres . Parecen querer quedarse con la muerte de Catherine Earnshaw y dejar de lado el acabóse que viene después . Y siendo así , todas las lectoras son como la soñadora Isabella Linton , o como las amantes de Hollis y , más que nada , como la lectora de trece años que pensaba que el amor estaba en la violencia .

EN Here on Earth no hay grises . Las cosas son como son . La violencia no es pasión y Hollis no es un héroe romántico , y esta es una de las pocas autoras que supo retratarlo con realidad , con una prosa que es un deleite para los ojos y la mente ; con profundidad y sin el romance idiota que todas le adjudican a el pasaje oscuro de Cumbres Borrascosas pero que nunca existió .

Recomendado para mujeres realistas ... y para las románticas incurables también ...

( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
I have heard a lot of good things about Alice Hoffman so I picked this book up at a book sale. I was very disappointed. This might be the lowest I have ever rated a book. I thought I had an obligation to advise people to stay away from this book. Of course I really doubt I would ever pick up an Alice Hoffman book again. Her characters make no sense and are not at all believable. The portrayal of a small town in New England where everybody knows everyone else is a cliche. The only reason I gave it 2 stars was because it held my interest and I was hoping that the ending would be somewhat creative but it wasn't. Obviously those that gave it 5 stars must have a whole different taste in book genres than I do. ( )
  nivramkoorb | Oct 29, 2014 |
Showing 1-5 of 41 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
For countless kindnesses and twenty years of generosity and support the author wishes to thank Elaine Markson.
Dedication
To E.B.
First words
Tonight, the hay in the fields is already brittle with frost, especially to the west of Fox Hill, where the pastures shone like stars.
Quotations
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (1)

Book description
After nineteen years in California, March Murray returns to the small Massachusetts town where she grew up. For all this time, March has been avoiding her own troubled history, but when she encounters Holis, the boy she loved so desperately, the man who has never forgotten her - the past collides with the present as their reckless love is reignited. This dark romantic tale asks whether it is possible to survive a love that consumes you. The answers that March Murray discovers are both heartbreaking and wise, as complex as they are devastating - for in heaven and in our dreams, love is simple and glorious. But it is something altogether different her one earth... (0-425-16731-3)
Haiku summary

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0425169693, Mass Market Paperback)

In this first-rate "tape turner" Hoffman once again proves her powers as a storyteller. Dialogue rings remarkably true in this reading by Susan Ericksen, which also brings out the incisive details and keen observations on nature, both human and otherwise, that Hoffman carefully deploys in this masterful narrative.

When March Murray travels East with her teenage daughter to attend the funeral of the beloved housekeeper who looked after her when she was growing up, March's past comes rushing up to meet her. The present is quickly dominated by the lurking presence of her former lover, Hollis, who has patiently awaited her long overdue return. The tale is populated by those for whom love brings more sorrow than happiness: a woman afraid to commit to a relationship, a husband in love with someone other than his wife, two young people who fall for each other only to find they are close relatives, and the self-destructing love of Hollis and March. While love has the power to transform those who fall under its spell--devotion to an old racehorse turns March's daughter, a sullen teenager, into a strong young woman--the love March herself suffers robs her of nearly all sense and goodness. Hoffman deftly weaves her characters' stories against a vivid New England landscape where the past always has a grip on the present. And the listener is left at the end both satisfied and longing to hear more. --Anne Depue

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:59 -0400)

(see all 7 descriptions)

A middle-aged woman, along with her fifteen-year-old daughter, returns to her small Massachusetts hometown for the funeral of the housekeeper who raised her and finds herself thrust into the lives of the people she left behind.

(summary from another edition)

» see all 3 descriptions

Quick Links

Swap Ebooks Audio
719 avail.
29 wanted
5 pay10 pay

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.47)
0.5 6
1 15
1.5 1
2 51
2.5 16
3 173
3.5 29
4 170
4.5 13
5 81

Audible.com

3 editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

See editions

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,522,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible