The Sentry (Joe Pike) by Robert Crais

The Sentry (Joe Pike) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Robert Crais

Member:Skaidon
Title:The Sentry (Joe Pike)
Authors:Robert Crais
Info:Putnam Adult (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 320 pages

The Sentry by Robert Crais (2011)

I haven't read a Robert Crais novel in a few years. This one had all the things I liked about the previous ones. Good read. ( )
  etrainer | Sep 10, 2018 |
This is not one of Crais’ better (or even average) books. The story focuses on Joe Pike and his efforts to locate Dru, a woman he befriended and feels honor bound to protect. Dru and her “uncle” disappeared shortly after the uncle was beaten by street thugs apparently intent on setting up a protection scheme. However, the reality is much more complex and sinister. Pike and his partner Elvis Cole soon find themselves dealing with a Bolivian drug cartel, a Los Angeles street gang, a Mexican drug cartel, the FBI and Los Angeles police.

It turns out that Pike is a much more interesting character as the mysterious partner of Cole rather than the lead character. I found it difficult to get into the story and it wasn’t until the second half of the book and Cole began to figure more prominently that my interest picked up. I had great hopes for a book featuring Pike as the lead character and am disappointed. ( )
  Tatoosh | May 16, 2018 |
I've just added a new man to my list of future ex-husbands, the one already headed up by Jack Reacher, and his name is Joe Pike. I loved this book and now that I've been introduced to badass Pike, I'm off to find the first in his series so I can fall hard all over again. ( )
  PKDuffy | Jan 19, 2018 |
Joe pike is such a strong character. ( )
  danojacks | Jan 5, 2017 |
Joe Pike and Elvis Cole are up to their usual tricks in the fast paced, exciting story. I have really enjoyed the series and look forward to reading more ( )
  slvoight | Jun 7, 2016 |
FOR

Clay Fourrier

From River Road to
the top of the Hollywood Sign,
my wingman chasing
the dreams

With love, admiration,
and more than a few feverish beads.
Monday, 4:28 A.M., the narrow French Quarter room was smoky with cheap candles that smelled of honey.

Dru Rayne and her uncle fled to L.A. after Hurricane Katrina; but now, five years later, they face a different danger. When Joe Pike witnesses Dru's uncle beaten by a protection gang, he offers his help, but neither of them want it - and neither do the federal agents mysteriously watching them.

As the level of violence escalates, and Pike himself becomes a target, he and Elvis Cole learn that Dru and her uncle are not who they seem - and that everything he thought he knew about them has been a lie. A vengeful and murderous force from their past is now catching up to them ... and only Pike and Cole stand in the way.

Dru Rayne and her uncle are Louisiana refugees who relocated to Los Angeles after Hurricane Katrina. Now, five years after the storm, their struggling restaurant faces a different danger. When Joe Pike witnesses Dru's uncle beaten by a neighborhood gang intent on extorting protection money, he offers his own brand of protection. But neither Dru nor her uncle want his help--and neither do the federal agents mysteriously watching their store.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Robert Crais's book The Sentry was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,800,968 books! | Top bar: Always visible