Rose in a Storm: A Novel by Jon Katz

Rose in a Storm: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Jon Katz

Rating:**1/2
Tags:bahzah, fiction, dog

Rose in a Storm: A Novel by Jon Katz

Recently added bycynthiadogmom, private library, mccbookdrive, librarymary09

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Back in 2007, I had recently read John Grogan’s wonderful adventure in the pages of his best-selling book, Marley and Me. Now, I love our cats, Zoe and Panguir Ban, but at heart, I am a dog person. So, as a youngster, I read a lot of books about dogs. Some of my favorites included Lad: A Dog by Albert Payson Terhune, and the series by Jim Kjelgaard, which I began by reading Big Red. At one time, I owned half a dozen or so of Kjelgarrd’s books, but sadly, only Big Red – my favorite – remains in my collection. While in the midst of this reading frenzy over canines, I came across The Dogs of Bedlam Farm by Jon Katz, a free-lance writer who lives on a farm in upstate New York. Bedlam Farm tells the true-life adventure of a city man who moves to the country, buys a farm, some sheep, and a sheep herding dog. I didn’t have much to say about the book back then. I had just begun my book blog, and my reviews were thin. I did like it, but occasionally, the style rankled me.
A few weeks ago, while searching for something else, I found another book by Katz, which had fallen behind others on the shelf. Unlike Bedlam Farm, narrated by the author as he learned the ways of dogs and sheep, Rose in a Storm is about the dog – her experiences, concerns, and her understanding of the world – the farm – and more importantly her relationship with Sam and the other animals. The story is captivating and heart-warming.
Katz writes about his wife’s first visit to the farm. “Sam wasn’t much for nostalgia, but he loved to remember – and tell – the story about when Katie had first come to the farm. He had watched as Katie, tall and thin with long dark-brown hair, had come up to Rose and tried to pet her. Sam had warned her that Rose, then three years old and set in her ways, did not like to be touched, or even approached by people other than him. He was right -- when Katie extended her hand to the dog, she growled and nipped, as he’d predicted. Startled, Katie pulled her hand away. But Sam was impressed by what happened next. Katie calmly stepped back, looking curiously at Rose, who lowered her ears and backed away, too. […]
“‘She’s a good dog, a great dog, but she’s a working dog.’ Sam explained to Katie that working dogs are not really pets; they don’t always like or want to be cuddled or petted. ‘She stays focused. It’s her farm,” he said, adding that Rose had little use for things that didn’t involve work, not even treats or toys” (41)
As I begin to train my Labrador puppy to retrieve a throw toy, I naturally tried to reward her for fetching the toy and dropping it at my feet. But she refused even a small liver bite. All she wanted was to chase down the toy and return it to me. The more I interact with my dogs, the respect I have for their intelligence, their loyalty, their affection – and, of course, their impish side.
I need to go back and check more of my shelves. Who knows what other treasures might be hiding there? Jon Katz’s Rose in a Storm deserves the attention of every reader who appreciates and understands the bond between people and the dogs we live with. 5 stars.

--Jim, 8/18/13 ( )
  rmckeown | Aug 18, 2013 |
A simple synopsis: The gripping story of a dog on a farm during a horrific blizzard. Rose is a Border collie/ Shepherd mix and the best working dog Sam, the farms owner, has ever known. Ever since his wife died, Sam has worked the farm alone with Rose at his side. It is difficult, but everything is running well until the blizzard hits and things go from bad to worse in a short amount of time. Told mostly through Rose’s insights, this is a captivating look into one working dogs’ thought processes and instincts. I couldn’t put the book down. One of my favorite quotes came out of Rose’s compulsion to keep the animals alive “It seemed that her world was falling to pieces, like little drops of blood scattered across the snow.”

If you love dogs, dog stories, farming, animals, and survival stories then Jon Katz has written a great one for you. I loved it: 5 stars. ( )
  PamelaBarrett | Sep 24, 2012 |
Easy to read & very descriptive. Interesting perspective - mostly from the dog's point of view. I do think the sections about Rose traveling to "dog heaven" were a bit over the top - as was the situation with the wolf. It was like this animal just was magically transported in to save Rose - and then left just as quickly. But, this is fiction after all.

I did love and was very moved by the "wild dog". ( )
  labdaddy4 | Jun 26, 2012 |
The fascinating Rose of Bedlam Farm is fictionalized here so Katz can imagine himself into her thoughts. ( )
  beaujoe | May 11, 2011 |
4818. Rose in a Storm A Novel, by Jon Katz (read 20 Apr 2011)
This book turned me off right from the start, since it was so contrary to what I know about dogs, animals, and farming. It tells of a storm in the Adirondacks which has the heroine dog, Rose, doing unlikely and impossible things, and long stretches of telling what the dog is thinking.. And at the key point in the story it becomes a fantasy. Only once, in the whole story, was there anything of interest--as the dog dug her master out of the snow which had covered him. I was glad she did the rescue. But boring is the word for this book ( )
  Schmerguls | Apr 20, 2011 |
To the real Rose
Inside the farmhouse Rose lifted her head and pricked up her ears.

From New York Times bestselling author Jon Katz comes a moving and powerful novel, the first one inspired by life on his celebrated Bedlam Farm—and perceptively told from the point of view of Rose, a dedicated working dog.

Rose is determined and focused, keeping the sheep out of danger and protecting the other creatures on the farm she calls home. But of all those she’s looked after since coming to the farm as a puppy, it is Sam, the farmer, whom she watches most carefully.

Awoken one cold midwinter night during lambing season, Rose and Sam struggle into the snowy dark to do their work. The ever observant Rose has seen a change in her master of late, ever since Sam’s wife disappeared one day. She senses something else in the air as well: A storm is coming, but not like any of the ones she’s seen over the years. This storm feels different, bigger, more foreboding.

When an epic blizzard hits the region, it will take all of Rose’s resolve, resourcefulness, and courage to help Sam save the farm and the creatures who live there.

Jon Katz consulted with animal behavior scientists to create his unique and convincing vision of the world as seen through the eyes of a dog. Poignant, thrilling, and beautifully wrought, Rose in a Storm is a wonderfully original and powerful tale from a gifted storyteller.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:47 -0400)

"Rose is determined and focused, keeping the sheep out of danger and protecting the other creatures on the farm she calls home. But of all those she's looked after since coming to the farm as a puppy, it is Sam, the farmer, whom she watches most carefully. Awoken one cold midwinter night during lambing season, Rose and Sam struggle into the snowy dark to do their work. The ever observant Rose has seen a change in her master of late, ever since Sam's wife disappeared one day. She senses something else in the air as well: a storm is coming... This storm feels different, bigger, more foreboding. When an epic blizzard hits the region, it will take all of Rose's resolve, resourcefulness, and courage to help Sam save the farm and the creatures who live there."--p. [2] of jacket.… (more)

55 wanted1 pay2 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Rose in a Storm by Jon Katz was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,326,758 books! | Top bar: Always visible