A Truth For a Truth (Ministry is Murder) by…

A Truth For a Truth (Ministry is Murder) (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Emilie Richards

Member:dhaupt
Title:A Truth For a Truth (Ministry is Murder)
Authors:Emilie Richards
Info:Berkley (2010), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages

A Truth For a Truth (Ministry is Murder) by Emilie Richards (2010)

I really enjoy this series and this was one of the better mysteries. The characters are wonderful and lets face it, the reason you read (or at least I read) cozy series are the characters.

Aggie is that the first person who comes to mind when you think of ministers wives. Yet, she's dedicated to her husband and family and tries to do her best to do right by her church and community. If only she didn't keep finding dead bodies and getting mixed up in murder.

I like each entry into this series better and better. I missed Aggie's mom and hope her sisters show up again soon. And I'm loving the, maybe, romance between Aggie's attractive police detective "partner" and her best friend. The one thing that bothered me in the earlier books was the hint more could come from her relationship with that character. So, I'm glad he's otherwise engaged. Not that Aggie would act on anything.

I was actually kept guessing for most of the story, which says a lot i a cozy series. I look forward to see what's next for Aggie. ( )
  bremmd | Mar 8, 2012 |
A Truth for a Truth is a Ministry is Murder series number five.
Welcome to Emerald Springs, Ohio. Home of the Consolidated Community Church or slanged the Triple C by the current minister’s wife Aggie Sloan-Wilcox who’s not only known by that title, no she has other hobbies that keep her (in)famous, like, having her own opinions and life aside from being married to her husband Ed the minister, like not behaving like a proper minister’s wife should (according to upstanding congretory opinions), or like seemingly always being in the vicinity when a murder just so happens to occur. Yep that’s Aggie, and this episode of the life and times of the Wilcox family is no different, when getting ready for the church’s 150th Anniversary a past pastor just happens to drop dead. From all angles it appears to be natural causes, from all angles that is except one, yup, he was murdered and Aggie is bound and determined to find the culprit. Now if she could only learn to be a proper minster’s wife, she’d be perfect.
Ms. Richards is one of those amazing storytellers that can make her readers visualize the journey that she’s taking them on and that will become obvious as she gives us a view of this small American community that appears without villainy and yet people don’t murder themselves do they. She’ll take us on this trip with dialogue filled with irreverent humor and narrative that will keep her readers glued to the novel to find the culprit and solve the crime. Her characters vary from the mundane to ridiculous and they will in turn charm and alarm you but will all fit nicely in the story and become important to the final The End. Her main protagonist Aggie wears many hats and Ms. Richards shows her confident and doubtful at the same time, yes she makes her very human as she goes through her days as a mother, wife, friend and detective but through it all she always comes through very genuine, someone I would personally love to know and interact with. She also in between solving crimes shows us the day to day problems that we all have and in turn make us laugh at ourselves as we laugh with Aggie.
If you make a list of must reads, this one has to be on it, if you love series put this one on your TBR pile, if you love contemporary mysteries or cozy mysteries this should be top choice. Be prepared to laugh in the next breath after you gasp in the next breath after you wipe your tears in this nail biting one minute, laugh out loud the next minute who-done-it. This novel stands well on it’s own, but the series is chronological and so I would suggest reading them all. If you’re a fan of Hank Phillipi Ryan or Diane Mott-Davidson you will love this series. ( )
  dhaupt | Nov 17, 2010 |
The memorial service for a beloved ex-minister is interrupted with the news that he was murdered. His wife is the chief suspect, but her successor doesn't believe it. Now Aggie is meddling again.

Light but enjoyable. ( )
  readinggeek451 | Oct 31, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425236056, Mass Market Paperback)

After a former minister dies suddenly upon his return to Emerald Springs, his memorial service is cut just as short. Aggie Sloan-Wilcox, wide of the current minister, knows why. The poor old guy was murdered. But who in this bucolic village could be capable of such a crime?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:48 -0400)

"After Godwin "Win" Dorchester, a former minister of the Consolidated Community Church, dies suddenly during a celebration of his return to Emerald springs, his memorial service is cut just as short. The coroner's office has requested an autopsy, and Aggie is the first to learn why. Win, beloved among the congregation, was murdered--and the number one suspect is his widow"--Cover, p. [4].… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,379,392 books! | Top bar: Always visible