In Her Shoes : A Novel by Jennifer Weiner

In Her Shoes : A Novel (edition 2003)

by Jennifer Weiner

3,905641,316 (3.63)1 / 50
Member:fatchicks71
Title:In Her Shoes : A Novel
Authors:Jennifer Weiner
Info:Washington Square Press (2003), Paperback, 448 pages
Tags:Bigger Girl Lit

In Her Shoes by Jennifer Weiner

The Opposite of Me by Sarah Pekkanen (upstairsgirl)
    upstairsgirl: Another funny, heartbreaking book about sisters who don't always understand or even like each other but who love each other just the same.

English (64)  German (1)  All languages (65)
A fun read about a lawyer and her spacey sister and how they turn their lives around in a chick lit welter of borrowed clothes and, of course, shoes. ( )
  wareagle78 | Mar 31, 2014 |
I won't lie, I wasn't expecting much out of this book. In fact, I didn't even want to read it, if it wasn't for my book club I never would have picked it up. I'm not big into chick-lit and the whole premise of this book sounded uninteresting. I'm glad to report that I was very wrong!

The story follows two sisters who can't be more dissimilar. Rose is the responsible older sister who went to college, landed a great job at a law firm, she has the brains. Maggie on the other hand is irresponsible, can't ever hold down a job, and has a learning disability. She may not have the brains but she has the amazing body that her frumpy sister always dreamed about. Maggie loses her job, gets evicted, and has to say with Rose until she can turn her luck around. Rose is at her wits end and finally snaps when she catches her freeloading sister having sex with her boyfriend. Rose unceremoniously kicks them both to the curb and tries to come to term with what happened. Maggie on the other hand has no place to go and sleeps from place to place until she ends up finding her long lost grandmother in Florida.

This story is about a sisters love and how much it can handle before it breaks. But does it ever truly go away? Is sister's bond for life?

Really not bad for chick lit. I look forward to watching the movie! ( )
  ecataldi | Jun 25, 2013 |
Sister's love wins the day. ( )
  winecat | May 21, 2013 |
I did read it and released but because of the sequel I decided to buy another copy so I can read both.

Read this in 2004
On September 19 I wrote:

Yesterday I had to travel and the book I was reading was to heavy to take with me so i decided to take In her Shoes with me instead.
Well I could not put it down.
I think i like this even better, or just as much as Jennifer Weiner's first novel. Good in Bed.

Like you I was also getting annoyed by maggie's selfishness.
Right now I am at page 352 out of 442 (Rose receives a letter from Maggie, telling her she is staying at her grandmother) and I will finish this book today.

I know one thing for sure: I want to read jennifer Weiner's next book I am planning to buy this book because i really want to re read.
  Marlene-NL | Apr 12, 2013 |
Saw this one sitting on the shelf at the library and thought that it might be good since I liked the movie. It was OK. The story line was a little too herky-jerky for me and I didn't feel a connection to either character (which for me is important). ( )
  sunnydrk | Nov 5, 2012 |

Jennifer Weinerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leskinen, TerhiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Baby," groaned the guy--Ted? Tad?--something like that--and crushed his lips against the side of her neck, shoving her face against the wall of the toilet stall.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743418204, Paperback)

The Feller sisters are equal but opposite. Maggie is the good-looking, dyslexic little sister who knows how to get anything she wants--but not how to keep it. She "felt as if somewhere between the ages of fourteen and sixteen she'd walked off the edge of a cliff and had been falling ever since." Rose is the plump, practical, responsible older sister who knows about law but not much about her own happiness: "What did she like, besides shoes, and Jim, and foods that were bad for her?" When Maggie's latest eviction lands her in Rose's apartment, and Maggie insults Rose by seducing one of her sister's rare boyfriends, what follows is a chain of events by turns hilarious and heartbreaking. Embarrassed Rose evicts Maggie and begins a work sabbatical leading to a new livelihood and way of living. Maggie flees and runs away to Princeton. Masquerading as a student, she learns to love poetry and saves money for a trip to Miami--and a visit to a long-lost grandmother named Ella who might offer her a last shot at sanctuary. But In Her Shoes, the second novel from Good in Bed author Jennifer Weiner, is about more than the sisters' latest sibling rivalry; Maggie and Rose must sort out the childhood vulnerabilities and family mysteries that still linger two decades after their mother's death. In less capable hands, the plot might grow corny, but Weiner's humor and affection for the characters ultimately helps them transcend both neuroses and grief and learn the redemptive power of love. --Jane Hodges

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:13 -0400)

Meet Rose Feller, a thirty-year-old high-powered attorney with a secret passion for romance novels. She has an exercise regime she's going to start next week, and she dreams of a man who will slide off her glasses, gaze into her eyes, and tell her she's beautiful. She also dreams of getting her fantastically screwed-up, semi-employed little sister to straighten up and fly right. Meet Rose's sister, Maggie. Twenty-eight years old and drop-dead gorgeous. Although her big-screen stardom hasn't progressed past her left hip's appearance in a Will Smith video, Maggie dreams of fame and fortune -- and of getting her big sister on a skin-care regimen. These two women, who claim to have nothing in common but a childhood tragedy, DNA, and the same size feet, are about to learn that they're more alike than they'd ever imagined. Along the way, they'll encounter a diverse cast of characters -- from a stepmother who's into recreational Botox to a disdainful pug with no name. They'll borrow shoes and clothes and boyfriends, and eventually make peace with their most intimate enemies -- each other.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,608,333 books! | Top bar: Always visible