Happy Hour at Casa Dracula by Marta Acosta

Happy Hour at Casa Dracula (2006)

by Marta Acosta

302None36,863 (3.49)9

TBR
  Ebeth.Naylor | Sep 30, 2013 |
This book filled me with mixed feelings. It felt like it was written clumsily and in some parts I literally cringed but in others I laughed hard. The plot was strange to say the least and went in a lot of differents that often left you wondering what the hell. At other times, the plot was so obvious it again made you cringe.

An entertaining read. I have all three books of the series so I will continue to read but would I recommend them to anyone? Not really.
  ninadangelo | May 12, 2013 |
This one didn't make much of an impression on me. I liked the heroine but found the hero oddly wishy washy.

See Abigail's Review at All Things Urban Fantasy ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
The first 50 pages of HAPPY HOUR AT CASA DRACULA were fantastic, wonderful, off-the-charts. Full of witty little literary references, really funny, featuring a smart Latina heroine - Miraglo de los Santos - who leads a charmingly ramshackle life while she tries to find some direction for herself now that college is over. I read the first few chapters and thought, "Wow! I am so sorry I didn't pick this book up the second it was released!"

And then...well, and then. A series of twists and turns deposit Miraglo at Casa Dracula. All the vampires at CASA DRACULA call vampirism a "condition" and they never, ever suck blood. Instead, they have a groundskeeper who bleeds farm livestock and bottles the blood for the vamps, who drink responsibly, in small quantities, from glasses. Aside from one shady character who pops in for a visit, nobody seems at all interested in drinking human blood.

I just don't get vampire novels about genteel, civilized vampires who don't drink blood from the vein. Change out those bottles of blood for wine, and the vamps of Casa Dracula would be regular old humans. Which means that the plot boils down to shenanigans at the country house, like a Regency romance - who is sleeping with who, and who's going to catch who first, who is a friend and who is a foe.

Meanwhile, Acosta abandons all the fun literary references and the characters become increasingly one-dimensional. In the beginning, Miraglo was a bodacious Latina who had graduated from a top-notch school with a degree in English - she was a sort of scatterbrained, intellectual sex-bomb. But the 'smart' aspects of her character dim, and that just leaves...sexy and scatterbrained, a much less interesting combo. The villains grow more cartoonishly dastardly, the good guys are less ambiguous in their treatment of Miraglo, her college friends are neatly divided into true and false.

The first few chapters had my expectations so high that I could only be disappointed by the rest. Acosta is clearly an author who could have written a great book - but didn't. ( )
  MlleEhreen | Apr 3, 2013 |
This was a birthday gift, and I expected it to be a beach read. It is fun and silly and romantic, but it's also got gardening, and vampires who like being Vampyres as well as vampires who aren't vampires, but have "an autosomal recessive disorder due to an enzyme deficiency." ( )
  Jammies | Mar 31, 2013 |
To my fabulous husband, Miguel.
If I had been a rational human being, I would have had a normal job and I never would have gotten involved with any of them.

Vampires don't exist in this day and age...or do they?

Milagro De Los Santos needs to get her career on track -- and a sexy man to come home to. At a party for her ex-boyfriend, she meets the unusually attractive Oswald Grant, who sweeps her off her feet. But when he bites her in the heat of passion and she instantly falls ill, Milagro realizes Oswald is not just any fabulous man -- he's a vampire. Whisked away to his family's estate to recover, Milagro learns the ins and outs of vampirism while falling for a wickedly inappropriate man. But when the vampires' lives are threatened, Milagro uses her wits, her wiles, and an incredibly whacky scheme to bring down a power-mad secret society that refuses to let the undead live and love in peace.

From Booklist

Hip, smart Milagro de Los Santos is minding her own business at a book party for Sebastian, the ex-boyfriend she's not quite over, when Oswald, a mysterious, handsome stranger approaches her. The chemistry between them is potent, but after they accidentally exchange blood during a powerful kiss, Milagro finds herself feeling strange. Suddenly Sebastian becomes interested in her again, though when he tries to abduct her it's clear he's more interested in her encounter with Oswald than in rekindling their romance. She's rescued by Oswald's cousin, Gabriel, who spirits her off to the family home, where Oswald, his prickly grandmother, Edna, and his other cousin, Sam, take her in for her protection. Although they are vampires, they insist on referring to their state as a "condition," and now they're worried Milagro might also be infected. Sebastian is part of a sinister group determined to investigate the vampires, and Milagro is realizing that her passion for the seductive Oswald is conquering her feelings for Sebastian. A fun, snappy read for romantic fantasy fans. Kristine Huntley