Happy Hour at Casa Dracula by Marta Acosta

Happy Hour at Casa Dracula (2006)

by Marta Acosta

The book is written by a San Francisco local, Marta Acosta, who also contributes to the San Francisco Chronicle and The Contra Costa Times. She's also Latina, which coincidentally is her main character!

You already know the story: A girl is invited to a book party when she meets her ex, Sebastian. She is led to a hotel room by one Oswald who accidentally infects her with a virus. A virus that leads the victim to desire blood, have very allergic reactions to the sun, and long-lived. Although "long lived" may be short-term because an organization is out to kill the vampire clan, CACA (get it?), and most of the story involves her narrowly escaping their clutches, moaning on and on about all the "fabulous men" she sees, still trying to stay in touch with her normal life and dealing with her new vamp "family."

The story did drag for me, mainly due to the characters all talking to each other, fixing dinner, drinking diluted blood of animals and visiting the occasional Satanic rite (not on purpose of course -- they're against that sort of thing -- but I digress).

The book really starting picking up after some apparent kidnapping, a resultant spree of animal killings and some bizarre sex (implied, not graphic). The ending left me satisfied that Ms. Acosta knows how to write -- but sadly I'm not that "into" romantic comedies.

If you like a little sangria with your lamb chops, you just might like this book. Easy to read and if you know a little Spanish, all for the best! Recommended especially for young adult women.

She's also written a trilogy on this book, "Happy Hour" being the first novel.
  jmourgos | Sep 12, 2014 |
I've been trying to get through this for a few months now and to be honest I'm not really enjoying it that much. It's not a bad book at all, just not to my taste. ( )
  sunset_x_cocktail | Aug 20, 2014 |
TBR
  Ebeth.Naylor | Sep 30, 2013 |
This book filled me with mixed feelings. It felt like it was written clumsily and in some parts I literally cringed but in others I laughed hard. The plot was strange to say the least and went in a lot of differents that often left you wondering what the hell. At other times, the plot was so obvious it again made you cringe.

An entertaining read. I have all three books of the series so I will continue to read but would I recommend them to anyone? Not really.
  ninadangelo | May 12, 2013 |
This one didn't make much of an impression on me. I liked the heroine but found the hero oddly wishy washy.

See Abigail's Review at All Things Urban Fantasy ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
To my fabulous husband, Miguel.
If I had been a rational human being, I would have had a normal job and I never would have gotten involved with any of them.

Vampires don't exist in this day and age...or do they?

Milagro De Los Santos needs to get her career on track -- and a sexy man to come home to. At a party for her ex-boyfriend, she meets the unusually attractive Oswald Grant, who sweeps her off her feet. But when he bites her in the heat of passion and she instantly falls ill, Milagro realizes Oswald is not just any fabulous man -- he's a vampire. Whisked away to his family's estate to recover, Milagro learns the ins and outs of vampirism while falling for a wickedly inappropriate man. But when the vampires' lives are threatened, Milagro uses her wits, her wiles, and an incredibly whacky scheme to bring down a power-mad secret society that refuses to let the undead live and love in peace.

From Booklist

Hip, smart Milagro de Los Santos is minding her own business at a book party for Sebastian, the ex-boyfriend she's not quite over, when Oswald, a mysterious, handsome stranger approaches her. The chemistry between them is potent, but after they accidentally exchange blood during a powerful kiss, Milagro finds herself feeling strange. Suddenly Sebastian becomes interested in her again, though when he tries to abduct her it's clear he's more interested in her encounter with Oswald than in rekindling their romance. She's rescued by Oswald's cousin, Gabriel, who spirits her off to the family home, where Oswald, his prickly grandmother, Edna, and his other cousin, Sam, take her in for her protection. Although they are vampires, they insist on referring to their state as a "condition," and now they're worried Milagro might also be infected. Sebastian is part of a sinister group determined to investigate the vampires, and Milagro is realizing that her passion for the seductive Oswald is conquering her feelings for Sebastian. A fun, snappy read for romantic fantasy fans. Kristine Huntley