Who Was Helen Keller? by Gare Thompson

Who Was Helen Keller? (edition 2003)

by Gare Thompson, Nancy Harrison (Illustrator)

3721929,102 (3.9)None
Member:tracyhintz
Title:Who Was Helen Keller?
Authors:Gare Thompson
Other authors:Nancy Harrison (Illustrator)
Info:Grosset & Dunlap (2003), Paperback, 112 pages
Tags:Biography

Who Was Helen Keller? by Gare Thompson

"Who was Helen Keller" is an Biography about the life go Hellen Keller. At the age of two Keller became deaf and blind and stuggled with silence and a life of loneliness until one teacher came to her aid and helped her learn to read and write. My personal reaction to the book was I liked reading and learning about another person life. I also liked knowing it was all true, biographies make you feel like you actually knew the person because you are learning so much about their life. A classroom extension could be for using the information of the book to have children write an essay about the person.
  lexiedelg | Apr 13, 2017 |
In the book "Who Was Helen Keller", the author writes about who Helen Keller was and about her life. Helen Keller was a woman who was both deaf and blind. Although she was deaf and blind, she accomplished a lot throughout her life. This book explains how one of her teachers helped her learn to read and write and be successful in school despite her disabilities. A central message that you can find in this book is that even if you have a disability, you can be a very successful person in your life. It does not matter what you have gone through, as long as you try your hardest and believe in yourself, you can do it. ( )
  LaurenToth | Mar 29, 2017 |
Summary: This is one of many books, chronicling the hardships faced by Helen Keller, in easy-to-understand younger-adapted verbiage appropriate for young children. It's probably not the best one I've read, but it had it's good moments.

Personal reaction: I like all books devoted to Helen Keller and Anne Sullivan. It's a lesson I LOVE to teach, so I like all books on it, as I enjoy all the different angles that I see a book come from. It gives me a different perspective.

Classroom extensions: I would love to get my hands on a Braille reader or some ability to instruct Braille....even if just for a few minutes...I do not know HOW I would do that, but if I could figure it out, and I WILL, I'd do it it in a MINUTE!

I would teach the Alphabet Sign language!
  Dowrox | Jul 24, 2016 |
Who Was Helen Keller by Gare Thompson
Summary: This story does a great job of presenting a visual and breaking down Hellen Keller’s life, along with aspects of her everyday life. She was deaf and blind, and always had a very difficult time with it. She was always different and never knew how to understand the real world. Later in life, she was inspired by her teacher to be able to read and write, she never knew where these basic essentials would take her. The book provided some of her work, and reflected back on how well her dark and lonely world reflected on a piece of paper.

Personal Reaction: I have always found Helen Keller to be fascinating! It is amazing how great some of her work is to have never even heard a word in her entire life. As I read this book to a classroom, they were amazed as well, and full of questions.
Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. I believe this would be a great book to just read to the class for all reasons. It would draw them in, help with visuals, reflecting back on common knowledge, and also be helpful for students to view themselves, and see that learning is accomplishable if you set your mind to it.
2. Great for reflecting upon Women in History. I would definitely have each student read the book, and then research her. Once that was done, it would be a great lesson in Language Arts on writing a biography.
  AlanaLedford | Apr 18, 2016 |
Summary:
This is a biography of Helen Keller. It shows the struggles she had to overcome by being deaf and blind. She studied hard to read and write.

Personal Reaction:
She was a great role model. She had many obstacles, but never gave up.

Classroom Extensions:
1.Students can play pin the tail on the donkey.
2. The students can learn sign language.
  a.houck | Apr 16, 2016 |

At age two, Helen Keller became deaf and blind. She lived in a world of silence and darkness and she spent the rest of her life struggling to break through it. But with the help of teacher Annie Sullivan, Helen learned to read, write, and do many amazing things. This inspiring illustrated biography is perfect for young middle-grade readers. Black-and-white line drawings throughout, sidebars on related topics such as Louis Braille, a timeline, and a bibliography enhance readers' understanding of the subject.

Illustrated by John O'Brien.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:28 -0400)

A biography of the woman who, with the assistance of her devoted teacher Annie Sullivan, achieved success and fame despite being blind and deaf.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,787,492 books! | Top bar: Always visible