Who Was Helen Keller? by Gare Thompson

Who Was Helen Keller? (edition 2003)

by Gare Thompson, Nancy Harrison (Illustrator)

Member:tracyhintz
Title:Who Was Helen Keller?
Authors:Gare Thompson
Other authors:Nancy Harrison (Illustrator)
Info:Grosset & Dunlap (2003), Paperback, 112 pages
Tags:Biography

Who Was Helen Keller? by Gare Thompson

This book is perfect for teaching children about Helen Keller, It talks about her childhood and how she became ill resulting in her losing her hearing and site. It then goes on to talk about how she was mute and the struggles she had to deal with. Then through touching water, Helen learned how to talk and feel peoples voices to understand and communicate with those around her. I enjoyed this book and found it to be informational and inspiring. ( )
  Cheyene | May 2, 2017 |
This is a wonderful book for children to read the true story of Helen Keller. Her story is a powerful one of triumph over adversity in the face of unlikely odds. This is a great biography for children to read because it is a true story of triumph through hardships. Children cna relate to Helen Keller through many ways because every child struggles at some point in their life. Having a role model like Helen Keller can motivate students to push through and finish what they start and conquer their hardships and reach their goals ( )
  Jennaroo82 | May 1, 2017 |
"Who was Helen Keller" is an Biography about the life go Hellen Keller. At the age of two Keller became deaf and blind and stuggled with silence and a life of loneliness until one teacher came to her aid and helped her learn to read and write. My personal reaction to the book was I liked reading and learning about another person life. I also liked knowing it was all true, biographies make you feel like you actually knew the person because you are learning so much about their life. A classroom extension could be for using the information of the book to have children write an essay about the person.
  lexiedelg | Apr 13, 2017 |
In the book "Who Was Helen Keller", the author writes about who Helen Keller was and about her life. Helen Keller was a woman who was both deaf and blind. Although she was deaf and blind, she accomplished a lot throughout her life. This book explains how one of her teachers helped her learn to read and write and be successful in school despite her disabilities. A central message that you can find in this book is that even if you have a disability, you can be a very successful person in your life. It does not matter what you have gone through, as long as you try your hardest and believe in yourself, you can do it. ( )
  LaurenToth | Mar 29, 2017 |
Summary: This is one of many books, chronicling the hardships faced by Helen Keller, in easy-to-understand younger-adapted verbiage appropriate for young children. It's probably not the best one I've read, but it had it's good moments.

Personal reaction: I like all books devoted to Helen Keller and Anne Sullivan. It's a lesson I LOVE to teach, so I like all books on it, as I enjoy all the different angles that I see a book come from. It gives me a different perspective.

Classroom extensions: I would love to get my hands on a Braille reader or some ability to instruct Braille....even if just for a few minutes...I do not know HOW I would do that, but if I could figure it out, and I WILL, I'd do it it in a MINUTE!

I would teach the Alphabet Sign language!
  Dowrox | Jul 24, 2016 |

At age two, Helen Keller became deaf and blind. She lived in a world of silence and darkness and she spent the rest of her life struggling to break through it. But with the help of teacher Annie Sullivan, Helen learned to read, write, and do many amazing things. This inspiring illustrated biography is perfect for young middle-grade readers. Black-and-white line drawings throughout, sidebars on related topics such as Louis Braille, a timeline, and a bibliography enhance readers' understanding of the subject.

Illustrated by John O'Brien.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:28 -0400)

A biography of the woman who, with the assistance of her devoted teacher Annie Sullivan, achieved success and fame despite being blind and deaf.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,449,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible