Who Was Helen Keller? by Gare Thompson

Who Was Helen Keller? (edition 2003)

by Gare Thompson, Nancy Harrison (Illustrator)

Series: Who Was...

Member:tracyhintz
Title:Who Was Helen Keller?
Authors:Gare Thompson
Other authors:Nancy Harrison (Illustrator)
Info:Grosset & Dunlap (2003), Paperback, 112 pages
Tags:Biography

Who Was Helen Keller? (Who Was...?) by Gare Thompson

I enjoyed this story for a few reasons. I liked the black and white illustrations throughout the story, especially the timeline because it helps students visualize the different dates overtime. The writing was very interesting and engaging, especially when the author tells us interesting facts such when Helen became deaf and blind and the young age of two. I like the characters and I think that they were well-developed. As a reader, we want Helen Keller to learn how to write and read and can feel the frustration that she and her teacher, Annie Sullivan, encounter throughout the process. The big idea of this story is to teach the reader the importance of Helen’s life and how she was able to accomplish things after practicing over and over again. ( )
  kbrehm1 | May 5, 2014 |
This book is an easy read describing the life of Helen Keller from birth till death, the hardships and obstacles she faced with her disabilities. It illustrates her determination and will power to not let her disabilities determine who she was but to overcome the obstacles and become all that she could. It is nicely illustrated and has a great timeline in the book that helps children to understand what they are reading and the significance of her life.

Classroom Extension: Do activities while preventing the children from seeing or hearing like use a blindfold or ear plugs and then perform a task. This will show them what it would be like and how difficult it would be to have certain disabilities. Then have them write about the struggles they had in performing said task. ( )
  Nicolec78 | Apr 29, 2014 |
This was a good book and a pretty easy read. The language was simple, telling me that it is meant for a younger audience. The book told the story of Helen Keller from the time she was born to when she died. It did a great job including all the hardships and obstacles she faced in her life, from her handicap to her time in school to her life beyond and how she made a living. It is very inspirational for kids ages seven through twelve. The illustrations fit nicely with the text as well and go great with the book's tone. The table of contents is chronological but also gives us an idea of what each chapter is about based on the name of that chapter. At the end of the book, there are "Timeline of Helen Keller's Life" and "Timeline of the World" sections, which are great tools for children reading this book. What I did not like is that there's no "About the Author" section, no cited sources, and no index. It left the book feeling rather flat. If I wanted to have a book on Helen Keller in my classroom for outside reading, I would not choose this book. ( )
  meblack19 | Apr 17, 2014 |
This is a great book for fourth grade and up. It gives a lot of details about Helen's life, and how she learned to live with her exceptionalities. She did not let them get her down. She went on to live her life to the fullest. We could learn many lessons from Helen's determination. ( )
  SJoachim | Oct 28, 2013 |
part of the "WHO WAS" Biography series. 3rd grade and up. The life of Helen Keller, a woman who over came many handicaps- blindness, deafness.
  tracyhintz | Nov 10, 2012 |

At age two, Helen Keller became deaf and blind. She lived in a world of silence and darkness and she spent the rest of her life struggling to break through it. But with the help of teacher Annie Sullivan, Helen learned to read, write, and do many amazing things. This inspiring illustrated biography is perfect for young middle-grade readers. Black-and-white line drawings throughout, sidebars on related topics such as Louis Braille, a timeline, and a bibliography enhance readers' understanding of the subject.

Illustrated by John O'Brien.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:50 -0400)

A biography of the woman who, with the assistance of her devoted teacher Annie Sullivan, achieved success and fame despite being blind and deaf.

12 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,120,491 books! | Top bar: Always visible