Who Was Helen Keller? by Gare Thompson

Who Was Helen Keller? (edition 2003)

by Gare Thompson, Nancy Harrison (Illustrator)

Member:tracyhintz
Title:Who Was Helen Keller?
Authors:Gare Thompson
Other authors:Nancy Harrison (Illustrator)
Info:Grosset & Dunlap (2003), Paperback, 112 pages
Tags:Biography

Who Was Helen Keller? by Gare Thompson

Summary: This is one of many books, chronicling the hardships faced by Helen Keller, in easy-to-understand younger-adapted verbiage appropriate for young children. It's probably not the best one I've read, but it had it's good moments.

Personal reaction: I like all books devoted to Helen Keller and Anne Sullivan. It's a lesson I LOVE to teach, so I like all books on it, as I enjoy all the different angles that I see a book come from. It gives me a different perspective.

Classroom extensions: I would love to get my hands on a Braille reader or some ability to instruct Braille....even if just for a few minutes...I do not know HOW I would do that, but if I could figure it out, and I WILL, I'd do it it in a MINUTE!

I would teach the Alphabet Sign language!
  Dowrox | Jul 24, 2016 |
Who Was Helen Keller by Gare Thompson
Summary: This story does a great job of presenting a visual and breaking down Hellen Keller’s life, along with aspects of her everyday life. She was deaf and blind, and always had a very difficult time with it. She was always different and never knew how to understand the real world. Later in life, she was inspired by her teacher to be able to read and write, she never knew where these basic essentials would take her. The book provided some of her work, and reflected back on how well her dark and lonely world reflected on a piece of paper.

Personal Reaction: I have always found Helen Keller to be fascinating! It is amazing how great some of her work is to have never even heard a word in her entire life. As I read this book to a classroom, they were amazed as well, and full of questions.
Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. I believe this would be a great book to just read to the class for all reasons. It would draw them in, help with visuals, reflecting back on common knowledge, and also be helpful for students to view themselves, and see that learning is accomplishable if you set your mind to it.
2. Great for reflecting upon Women in History. I would definitely have each student read the book, and then research her. Once that was done, it would be a great lesson in Language Arts on writing a biography.
  AlanaLedford | Apr 18, 2016 |
Summary:
This is a biography of Helen Keller. It shows the struggles she had to overcome by being deaf and blind. She studied hard to read and write.

Personal Reaction:
She was a great role model. She had many obstacles, but never gave up.

Classroom Extensions:
1.Students can play pin the tail on the donkey.
2. The students can learn sign language.
  a.houck | Apr 16, 2016 |
This book is a perfect book for children but I really enjoyed it! I learned alot more about Hellen Keller ( )
  hannahwatkins | Apr 6, 2016 |
This book would be good to use for 3rd - 5th grade. It is a little bit longer so your 3rd graders may have a little bit more trouble reading it and it may take them a little bit longer, but your 5th graders should have problem reading this book. There are pictures as well to help break up the text that would be appealing especially to your 3rd graders since the pictures can also help explain what the book is talking about. You can use this book as a reference for students to use if you are doing a project on biographies or researching information about famous people. You can have your students pay attention to the different obstacles that Helen Keller had to face due to her disabilities. You can have your students compare and contrast Helen Keller's disabilities to those of someone else famous. You can have your students write how both people were able to overcome and work through their disabilities to accomplish many things in their life and still be very successful. This is good to use for character description and development as well because they constantly describe Helen as she ages and how she changes as she gets older. You can have your students as a class list all of the words that they think describe Helen Keller and then have them draw themselves and then write around the drawing all of the words that they think describe themselves. 3rd grade standards:3, 5, 6 4th grade standards: 1, 2 5th grade standards: 5
  SarahSchuster | Apr 5, 2016 |

At age two, Helen Keller became deaf and blind. She lived in a world of silence and darkness and she spent the rest of her life struggling to break through it. But with the help of teacher Annie Sullivan, Helen learned to read, write, and do many amazing things. This inspiring illustrated biography is perfect for young middle-grade readers. Black-and-white line drawings throughout, sidebars on related topics such as Louis Braille, a timeline, and a bibliography enhance readers' understanding of the subject.

Illustrated by John O'Brien.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:28 -0400)

A biography of the woman who, with the assistance of her devoted teacher Annie Sullivan, achieved success and fame despite being blind and deaf.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,580,716 books! | Top bar: Always visible