Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner

by Jennifer Weiner

Recently added byrena75, AER635, Tania57

Total beach read ( )
  ChrisWay | Sep 2, 2018 |
Wow - could I relate to these women! ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |
I really like the way the author writes such likeable characters, even though each one is so very different. This story appealed to me because it was about women who all come together to support one another as new mothers. I also enjoy books set in Philadelphia, as this one is. This was a nice, leisurely read, although it was a little emotional at times. ( )
  lrquinn | Jul 6, 2018 |
I read this for an online book group...who always seem to pick chick-lit. I stuffed down the last hundred or so pages, and I'll admit that a book like this is slightly easier to humour if you read it all in one go rather than stretching it out like I did the first part of it. It was a simple, predictable little story that didn't challenge any social norms or shock in any way. The characters were generic (business woman, TV presenter, mad mother-in-law, hunky husbands), as was the storyline (mad mother-in-law just needs to be loved, a guy who cheats didn't really mean to, happy endings all round), and there was nothing wonderful about the writing. The only other real chick-lit I've read in a good few years was 'Angels' by Marianne Keyes, and with her I felt her writing style could have gone further than candy floss fiction, but with Jennifer Weiner I think she's perfectly suited. That's not an insult as such, as I'm assuming that's something she's happy with. But her writing wasn't particularly insightful, poetic, emotionally touching or witty...it just told a story. Not a great read, but at the same time it wasn't excruciating...just not my thing. ( )
  SadieBabie | Jun 23, 2018 |
I enjoyed this book and read all the way to the end to find out what happened to each of the four main characters on their journey through pregnancy and new motherhood. I usually don’t like “chick-lit” and can’t remember where this book came from (Oh dear, I hope no one is expecting it back). It will make a good Lifetime or Hallmark Channel movie. (Yes, I watch them when no one is looking. Especially the super-sappy Christmas movies.) ( )
  memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |

Jennifer Weinerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Leskinen, TerhiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"What is REAL?" asked the Rabbit one day, when they were
lying side by side near the nursery fender, before Nana came to
tidy the room. "Does it mean having things that buzz inside you
and a stick-out handle?"
"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a
thing that happens to you. when a child loves you for a long,
long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then
you become real."
"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.
"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truth-
ful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."
&mdash Margery Williams
The Velveteen Rabbit
For Lucy Jane
I watched her for three days, sitting by myself in the park underneath an elm tree, beside an empty fountain with a series of uneaten sandwiches in my lap and my purse at my side.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743470109, Paperback)

Jennifer Weiner, whose novels Good in Bed and In Her Shoes earned her a place among women's book club aficionados everywhere, proves she still has the touch with Little Earthquakes, a tale of love, heartbreak, redemption, and friendship. Weiner's novel centers around four new mothers, all of whom must learn to adjust their lives and their marriages to deal with the challenges of raising children.

Ayinde is a beautiful, biracial newscaster who moves to Philadelphia after her husband, a star player for the NBA, is traded to the 76ers. She meets Becky, an overweight chef who plays the "pregnant or just fat" game every time she passes a mirror, and Kelly, an overachieving event planner who has her whole life mapped out down to the most minute details, after going into labor at a prenatal yoga class. The three become fast friends, and come to rely on each other for everything from burping techniques to intense emotional support. The group grows to include Lia, a semi-famous Hollywood starlet who leaves her husband and returns to Philly after a sudden tragedy.

While Little Earthquakes may leave little to the imagination, and some of the characters are laughably stereotypical (the Mama's boy Jewish doctor and the cheating ball player, to name a few), it is Weiner's gift for creating compelling characters with whom her readers can identify that make her such a successful storyteller. --Gisele Toueg

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:50 -0400)

Un chef, un planificador de eventos, y la esposa de un jugador de baloncesto de encontrar sus matrimonios y carreras en Filadelfia cuestionado por la nueva maternidad, horarios difciles, y la infidelidad.

Jennifer Weiner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,376,250 books! | Top bar: Always visible