Living History by Hillary Rodham Clinton

Living History (edition 2004)

by Hillary Rodham Clinton

Title:Living History
Authors:Hillary Rodham Clinton
Info:Scribner (2004), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 592 pages
Collections:Library reading
Tags:nonfiction, autobiography, politics, law, historical, Hillary Rodham Clinton, family, relationships, women writers, don't own, read 2012

Living History by Hillary Clinton

English (34)  Spanish (2)  All languages (36)
I admire the hell out of Hillary Rodham (Clinton), but this was the most tactfully dull autobiography I ever attempted. It's not so much that I was looking for anything bizarre: she's on the Wonk end of the political spectrum, which gets shit done, but tends to avoid amazing soundbites. What I miss is her sense of humor. Her first job our of school was working to impeach Nixon. Let's revel in that irony.

[If you find a copy nearby, do check out the photographs. There's a really funny one of her on the back of an elephant, where the driver looks freakishly tiny.]

As much as I enjoy reading in general, this business of presidential candidates putting out books doesn't impress me much. Some of them are well written, but the only candidate's books I've ever really enjoyed were those of Al Franken, and he was definitely a writer first. By way of contrast, check out [b:Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg|25422234|Notorious RBG The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg|Irin Carmon|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1429924065s/25422234.jpg|44611586]The Notorious RBG. Now there's a book that evokes personality and determination and so forth. Two stories about lawyers who focused their professional lives on achieving legal equality and improved conditions for women, children, and men. Only one of those books sets the reader into full-on fandom.

Library copy
  Kaethe | Oct 17, 2016 |
I read this during a rare moment when I was interested in political biographies. Fortunately the moment was short-lived. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book especially since it was read by Hillary. I totally forgot about all the investigations and it was interesting to hear what she had to say about things. You can hear in her voice what made her happy and angry. Her voice does change and she does chuckle a few times. I can't believe they almost left Chelsea in Russia! ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
Too limited in scope. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |

I never knew much about Bill Clinton's presidency since I was seven years old when he was elected, so I loved the chance to learn all about it. I already liked Hillary in the 2008 campaign and preferred her to Obama, but as I got to know her through this book, my opinion of her just continued to climb. I hope she runs again, and I hope she wins.
1 vote mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |

Is replied to in

Aan mijn ouders, mijn echtgenoot, mijn dochter - en alle goede geesten in de wereld wier inspiratie, gebeden, steun en liefde mijn hart hebben verwarmd en op wie ik in deze jaren van "mijn verhaal" altijd heb kunnen rekenen.
To my parents, my husband, my daughter - and all the good souls around the world whose inspiration, prayers, support and love blessed my heart andd sustained me in the years of living history.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743222253, Paperback)

As with most books written by politicians while in office (or at least aiming for one), Living History is, first and foremost, safe. There are interesting observations and anecdotes, the writing is engaging, and there is enough inside scoop to appeal to those looking for a bit of gossip, but there are no bombshells here and it is doubtful the book will change many minds about this polarizing figure. This does not mean the work is without merit, however, for Hillary Clinton has much to say about her experience as first lady, which is the primary focus of the book. Those interested in these experiences and her commentary on them will find the book worth reading; those looking for revelations will be disappointed.

Beginning with a brief outline of her childhood, college years, introduction to politics, and her courtship with Bill Clinton, Clinton covers a wide variety of topics: life on the campaign trail, her troubled tenure as leader of the President's Task Force on National Health Care Reform, meeting with foreign leaders, and her work on human rights, to name a few. By necessity, she also addresses the various scandals that plagued the administration, from Travelgate to Whitewater to impeachment, though she does not go into great detail about each one; rather, she seems content to simply state her case and move on without trying to settle too many old scores.

Along the way, she offers many apologies, though perhaps not the kind some would expect. She does not shy away from her "vast right-wing conspiracy" comment, for instance, though she does wish that she had expressed herself differently. Regarding the Monica Lewinsky scandal, she maintains that her husband initially lied to her, as he did the rest of the country, and did not come clean until two days prior to his grand jury testimony. Calling his betrayal "the most devastating, shocking and hurtful experience of my life," she explains what the aftermath was like personally and why she has elected to stand by her man. In all, Living History is an informative book that goes a long way toward humanizing one of the most recognizable, and controversial, women of our age. Shawn Carkonen

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:01 -0400)

[The author writes] about her upbringing in suburban, middle-class America in the 1950s and her transformation from Goldwater Girl to student activist to controversial First Lady. [This book] is her revealing memoir of life through the White House years. It is also her chronicle of living history with Bill Clinton.-Dust jacket.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,703,195 books! | Top bar: Always visible