Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley

Graffiti Moon (2010)

by Cath Crowley, cath crowley, cath Crowley

English (43)  Italian (1)  All languages (44)
This outstanding book by yet another terrific Australian young adult author is set in Melbourne, Australia, and alternates narration among several likable and talented teens who make up for lack self-confidence with a great deal of heart.

Lucy loves art, and likes people who are unusual. Her best girlfriends are Jazz and Daisy, girls who don’t “follow the rules of high school geography.” She also thinks that a mysterious, visionary graffiti artist known as “Shadow” would be her soulmate - if only she could find out who he is.

Ed is Shadow - he dropped out of school because of his dyslexia. Although he can’t read and can barely write, his head is full of ideas, and his pictures are full of expressiveness and beauty. Sometimes they are accompanied by verse by his friend Leo, who goes by the sobriquet Poet. Chapters narrated by Leo are in the form of poems.

Lucy doesn’t realize that she actually went out with Ed two years before, and broke his nose on their one and only date.

As the story begins, Lucy and Ed are thrown together again because Lucy’s friends, Daisy and Jazz, want to hang out with Ed’s friends Leo and Dylan. So Lucy and Ed end up paired off, much to their mutual chagrin.

Lucy tells Ed about her admiration for Shadow, and how much she wants to find out who he is, and Ed offers to take her places where he might show up. As they travel by bicycle around the city, Ed takes Lucy on a tour of hidden sites where he has painted graffiti. The haunting and stunning pictures lay bare Ed’s emotional landscape. Lucy sees that Shadow feels there are doors in his head that let in sound but not meaning; that he feels trapped; that he his heart has been “rocked by earthquakes and disappointed seas.” The story of Shadow's pain and fears is expressed by graffiti moons and bricked-in birds; he thinks no girl would want him if she knew who he really was, with his limitations.

But Lucy, who works as a glass-blower, knows that even some of the most beautiful pieces of glass have cracks running through them. If ever she and Ed could be honest with themselves and each other, maybe they could figure out how to open some of those locked doors.

Discussion: The writing in this book is exceptional. The prose is very often poetic without falling into the trap of being “bore-geous” as author Ayelet Waldman calls writing that’s gorgeous but pointless or meaningless. ( )
  nbmars | Jan 5, 2015 |
This book totally earns every star. Because Crowley writes in a way I never seen before and the characters and the situations they've been through are the real deal.

Just...god.... ( )
  ku. | Sep 20, 2014 |

Just...god.... ( )
  ku. | Sep 20, 2014 |
Dad .. Dad please I want to study in Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology :'(
I want to write a book like this !

If you ask me how you reach this book , I don't know what I'll answer but it was Great
the style of writing ,the characters and the dialogue.
and what encourages this is that I'm in love with Australia and I really saw the difference between the American atmosphere in the story and the Aussie one.
here we can say that the centering is on the feelings on the mind's of the heroine and the differences in each others Point of view while in the American Style we see the description of bodies , desires , kisses and it is too much !!!
after I read the Aussie one I prefer it :D

I like like like the unknown-guy relationship she just love what he draws , understand his feeling, his personality hisgoal behind every brush path without seeing him or without even talking with him !
that's so ideal ! you may like people by their appearance , their body type or their smile that's could be but when you like someone's own personality it's the Best of the BEST ;) and it is assured

"I get this
heavy feeling when I daydream about him. I’m not awake and I’m not asleep. I’m in a soft blue
corridor that runs between the two."

"I feel very sure about that. He’ll be a guy who talks about art,
not an arse grabber. And like Dad says, love and romance are things worth waiting for."

yes that's a prove

Note: the cover is GREAT :"D ( )
  Soplada | Feb 27, 2014 |
I knew within a few chapters that I was going to love this book. I was so confident I'd already reserved another of Crowley's books to read. And my instinct was sound.

The two main characters are genuine on every level, the supporting cast is dynamic and the plot is just unique enough to escape the moniker of "formulaic". At a time when books for girls flood the market, this is a romance that a guy could pick up and not hate immediately. That's quite an accomplishment.

I appreciated how Crowley approached the soul of artists from multiple perspectives and crafts. Many books that address art focus on just one medium, this compares and contrasts between several. It creates introspection about the emotional and creative life of artists.

This story will resonate with anyone who views the world differently than the mean (that's my way of describing what others usually call the norm or average, because when people say the average or norm they are really talking about the people who fall in the middle of the continuum of whatever is being contemplated, discussed or experienced.) ( )
  Angelina-Justice | Feb 3, 2014 |

Cath Crowleyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
crowley, cathmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Crowley, cathmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Teresa and everyone in the room.
And to Esther, who read it first.
I pedal fast.

Told in alternating voices, an all-night adventure featuring Lucy, who is determined to find an elusive graffiti artist named Shadow, and Ed, the last person Lucy wants to spend time with, except for the fact that he may know how to find Shadow.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,247,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible