The Pleasant History of Lazarillo De Tormes…

The Pleasant History of Lazarillo De Tormes (original 1554; edition 1991)

by D. Rowland

Title:The Pleasant History of Lazarillo De Tormes
Authors:D. Rowland
Info:Gwasg Gregynog Ltd (1991), Hardcover, 116 pages
Tags:Limited Edition, Gwasg Gregynog, Fiction, 2012

The Life of Lazarillo de Tormes by Anonymous [Spanish literature] (1554)

Recently added bycamila16, Filzero, rmarathe, martosaitor, private library, Laurent_DM, R2F, Rudolfastur
Legacy LibrariesThomas Mann, Marie Antoinette
    The Golden Ass by Apuleius (caflores)
    El Buscón by Francisco de Quevedo (Sergio88, caflores)
    Sergio88: Tercera gran novela picaresca de la literatura española. Esta vez nos encontramos con la visión irónica del pícaro Don Pablos.
    Guzmán de Alfarache, Part 1/2 by Mateo Alemán (Sergio88)
    Sergio88: La segunda gran novela picaresca de la literatura española (1599 Primera Parte, 1604 Segunda Parte). A diferencia del Lazarillo, el Guzmán se desprende de gran parte de la crítica erasmista para convertirse en casi un manual doctrinario de la Contrarreforma.… (more)
    The Satyricon by Petronius (henkl)

English (12)  Spanish (11)  French (3)  Dutch (1)  All languages (27)
I found this classic work of Spanish literature mildly entertaining, definitely satiric, and undoubtedly much more shocking when it was written (hence, the anonymous authorship) than it is today. Narrated by Lazaro himself, it tells the tale of his work as a servant for various, mostly harsh and, indeed, abusive, masters, starting with a blind man when he was but a boy, and progressing through working for a penniless squire who nonetheless acts as if he has money but doesn't deign to work, various, largely corrupt, representatives of the church, and a constable, eventually achieving a position of his own in government. This allows the anonymous author much opportunity for satire, as well as the opportunity to show the hardships prevalent in 16th century Spain. I found the chapter in which Lazaro works for a seller of indulgences especially funny, but overall I didn't enjoy this book as much as the introduction by Juan Goytisolo led me to believe I would. As an added note, this is said to be the first picaresque novel.
1 vote rebeccanyc | Apr 5, 2015 |
Een van de eerste echte romans, bij momenten best boeiend, maar de thematiek is eerder voorbijgestreefd. ( )
  WorldInColour | Oct 12, 2013 |
It was a really short reading. The author, anonymus, was really able to let me visualize Lázaro's life and sufferings. Also the footnotes of this edition really helped me to grasp the deeper meaning many of the passages have. ( )
  Kirmuriel | Sep 19, 2013 |
The past few months have been craptastacular in the life department, a yo-yo of highs and lows that sort of swung out of control and clocked me in the head at concussive force. Duck? Too late. Then at the beginning of the holiday vacation week, I started to get sick and sicker. I watched Forrest Gump through sneezing and mucous and ended up bawling out even more mucous. I tried to watch the Matrix movies but those made me cry, too! Every scene where two people met eyes meaningfully would set me off. And let me tell you, there were so many of those scenes in those movies, it could probably be a drinking game.

In my weakened and pitiful state, I read this very short novella. It did not lead to crying.

At my advanced age, the brain has gotten pretty inflexible. Learning takes noticeable effort. But thanks to exposure to a very wide range of books on gr and the analytical brilliance & knowledgable depth of fellow readers, I think I may be developing an appreciation for books beyond the immediate payoff. Maybe. Because this reads like a story I wrote in middle school, one that I had a lot of fun writing and I remember imagining how my teacher would read it and be stunned by how amazing I write. Hah. I cringe to recall that. A little clumsy, a little stilted, the humor a little slapstick-y, the main character a little bit of a dunce. Unlike my attempt, however, this book reaches across cultures and hundreds of years and manages to expose the hypocrisies of quite a few classes and still be humorous. I can appreciate how this blazed new ground where my middle school efforts did not. This is a breakthrough! I can relate to this but there is recognition that there are different measuring sticks. I pat myself on the back.

If you are reduced to shedding tears at Matrix, snap out of it and give this book a try. It may be able to tickle you back to normal. ( )
  EhEh | Apr 3, 2013 |
I read this book because it is cited as possibly the first modern novel. It was written in the 1560s. Like many early books, it is written in the first person, somewhat like a letter addressed to the reader. This book tells the story of Lazaro, a poor young man who serves several different masters as he attempts to make his way in the world. It is, at times, critical of the clergy and government -- in the way Lazaro describes what is happening. It's a short book, worth reading if you appreciate the development of literature. It reminded me a little of Candide. ( )
  LynnB | Oct 22, 2012 |

Rico, FranciscoEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robert, AdrienEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rossi, RosaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vazquez Montalban, ManuelIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is only right, to my mind, that things so remarkable, which happen to have remained unheard and unseen until now, should be brought to the attention of many and not lie buried in the sepulcher of oblivion.

The first picaresque novel, and one of the gems of Spanish literature. A brief, simply told tale of a rogue's adventures and misadventures — full of laconic cynicism and spiced with puns and wordplay. Introduction, Notes, and new English translation by Stanley Appelbaum.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:48 -0400)

Durante los ltimos aos del emperador Carlos I, el Lazarillo es un pcaro. Lejos de amargarse por la triste circunstancia que le toca vivir, observa la realidad con agudo espritu crtico y sentido de humor. Este libro de texto y su disco compacto son diseados para el desarrollo de las cuatro destrezas: leer, escribir, escuchar y hablar.Provides instruction in Spanish by using texts from literature as a textbook, with the story recorded in a Castilian Spanish accent on the accompanying disc. Each chapter has activities especially designed to develop the four skills of reading, writing, listening and speaking. Also included is information about the history, geography, art, science, etc. of the time and place in which the work is set.… (more)

NYRB Classics

An edition of this book was published by NYRB Classics.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

An edition of this book was published by McFarland.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,882,804 books! | Top bar: Always visible