Black Diamond by Martin Walker

Black Diamond (2010)

by Martin Walker

English (16)  German (1)  All languages (17)
This is the thrid book in the Police Chief Bruno series and I loved it as much as the previous two. In this one we find out all about the international truffle market, and we find Bruno embroiled in a bloody war between the Vietnames and the Chinese. The Vietnamese have a long shared history with France, and lots have moved away from Vietnam and located in various places throughout France. They also have a long-standing hatred with the Chinese, and this old rivalry breaks out in lovely little Saint-Denis. Bruno is right there, in the middle of things, trying to protect his people with no thought for his own safety. I love this series so much. The pace is fast, the mysteries are always very tricky and through it all we have wonderful Police Chief Bruno guiding his friends and neighbours through the dangerous and criminal mazes. I just can't wait to read the next in this wonderful series! ( )
  Romonko | Mar 18, 2016 |
The best Bruno book yet! ( )
  cygnet81 | Jan 17, 2016 |
Bruno is called in by a friend to investigate discrepancies in the truffle market of a neighboring town. In the meantime, a very charismatic man has drawn the attention of the Mad Englishwoman Bruno is seeing. As expected, the situation escalates quickly.
How I enjoyed this story! It just so happens that getting a fresh truffle to cook with is the only thing on my bucket list, so this story was extremely interesting to me. All the truffle lore, workings of the selling of truffles, and the wonderful descriptions of how the locals were cooking them made this a terrific read for me. I do love the characters in this series, and I found the story itself poignant and touching. I still do not understand the attraction to Isabelle by Bruno, but perhaps one must be male to understand this. To me she has never been more than a cardboard cutout of a woman as a character, and not suitable at all for Bruno. I am anxious to know where the author is going with this whole relationship business because I love Bruno for the Andy Griffith character he is and don't want him turned into an angsty noir character. Only solution is for me to keep reading the series! Amazon, here I come. ( )
  MrsLee | Jun 4, 2015 |
Another good Bruno mystery. Bruno's tales continue to entertain. A fun, light read. I recommend if you like nice stories with an interesting twist and a little Bruno-style romance thrown in for flavor. And don't forget to enjoy the fabulous French meals and wines along the way! ( )
  suztales | May 1, 2015 |
As always, Bruno chef de police is in his formidable mission. This time he and his friends are struggling with human trafficking and money laundering. Sadly, he lost a very good hunting friend and got himself into danger but fortunately the harms are only material damages as his car and more than one uniform and the physical harms were some bruises. The food descriptions made my mouth waters.
I love this serie and will continue reading it. ( )
  Ameise1 | Mar 15, 2015 |
To Commandant Raymond Bounichou, old barbouze, great cook, good friend, one of the few to be given the honour of lighting the sacred flame at the Arc de Triomphe.
There weren't many times that Bruno Courreges disliked his job, but today was one of them.

France's Perigord region is the home of the exquisite black truffle, and at 5,000 euros a kilo, it's a treasured local asset. When reports come in that this unique delicacy is being adulterated with a cheaper Chinese version, chief of police Bruno Courrèges is asked to investigate the scam. In St. Denis market, a Vietnamese family runs a popular stall selling their country's dishes, until one morning their stall is overturned and wrecked by attackers who look Chinese. Bruno wonders if these are the opening shots of a Viet-Chinese triad war. When a horrific murder is added to the mix, Bruno has his work cut out to find the connection between present crimes and long-buried ones that are linked to France's colonial past. In this gripping new investigation, Bruno needs all his local knowledge, acumen, courage and charm to work his way towards the truth.

In the wake of attacks on local Asian vendors and an increase in black-market ingredients that threaten the Dordogne's lucrative truffle trade, Chief of Police Bruno finds the case taking a personal turn when one of his hunting partners, a former high-profile intelligence agent, is murdered.… (more)

49 wanted4 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,354,265 books! | Top bar: Always visible