Master of the Game by Sidney Sheldon

Master of the Game (original 1982; edition 1983)

by Sidney Sheldon

1,354None5,669 (3.87)11
Member:Willarki
Title:Master of the Game
Authors:Sidney Sheldon
Info:Pan Books (1983), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 430 pages

Master of the Game by Sidney Sheldon (1982)

Recently added bySherry_Haut, robertawilder, private library, Akanksha_Ambolkar, sojo817, vbansal, Christyw2323
Legacy LibrariesJuice Leskinen
adventure (3) American (2) Bookcrossed (2) books to read (2) Box 5 (2) crime (5) diamonds (5) drama (9) ebook (3) family (3) family saga (5) fiction (88) hardcover (2) intrigue (3) mystery (15) narrativa (2) novel (12) own (3) paper (4) read (12) Roman (9) romance (9) Sheldon (5) Sidney Sheldon (10) South Africa (10) suspense (20) thriller (32) to-read (6) unread (4) wealth (2)

Sheldon at his best. He is a master at his game. ( )
  potterhead9.75 | Jan 5, 2014 |
Sidney Sheldon is the master story teller! Its a beautifully woven story of 5 generations with enough twists and turns! kept me hooked! ( )
  ShreeJan | Jul 29, 2013 |
I happened to chance upon this book discussion and couldn't resist sharing my own experience.

I read this book quite a few years back,17 years to be precise, I was in my first year of graduation living in the college boys hostel. It was the time of the very first of our exams - the first semesters. Understandably, we are apprehensive and anxious.

The exams stretched over a period of about 15 days. Everyday ( or rather night, since nothing could induce us to take up study books during the day!!!) after having cajoled myself that i have crammed everything seemingly important ( and that whats left is definitely not appearing the next day in the paper), I would take up this novel, switch off all the room lights, open the door and only switch on my bedside small lamp, and start reading for about half an hour or so before lights off!

I don't exactly know what it was - the fact that it acted as a great stress buster or that the story itself was riveting or simply the reckless and foolhardy, and therefore immensely appealing, act of reading novel before exam night - but I thoroughly and vastly enjoyed reading this novel.

I wouldn't say this is the best novel I have read, but certainly the most enjoyable one ever!!!!! ( )
  piyushgoyal | Sep 21, 2012 |
Fun summer novel about big business (starts in 1880's - South African diamonds) and power, wealth, cunning, intrigue, manipulation, deceit, and lust. Several engaging characters and many exciting plot twists. Toward its end, I couldn't put it down and stayed up til 3 am to finish it! Slightly underwhelming ending, but definitely worth the journey. ( )
  KenBour | Aug 18, 2010 |
Sheldon is my absolutely favorite author. ( )
  Siusaidh | Jun 1, 2008 |
"And hence one master-passion in the breast,
Like Aaron's serpent, swallows up the rest."
~ Alexander Pope,
Essay on Man Epistle II
"Diamonds resist blows to such an extent that an iron hammer may be split in two and even the anvil itself may be displaced. this invincible force, which defies Nature's two most violent forces, iron and fire, can be broken by ram's blood. but it must be steeped in blood that is fresh and warm and, even so, many blows are needed."
~ Pliny the Elder
For my brother
Richard
The Lion-Hearted
The large ballroom was crowded with familiar ghosts come to help celebrate her birthday.

Spanish
-------------------------------------
    WHO IS KATE BLACKWELL?

THeh symboL of success, the beautiful woman whO parlayed her inheritance into an international conglomerate. Winner of a unique position among the wealthy and world-renowned.

WHO IS KATE BLACKWELL?

Survivor, indomitable as her father, the man who returned form the edge of death to wrench a fortune in diamonds from the bleak South African earth.
now, celebrating her ninetieth birthday, Kate surveys the family she has manipulated, dominated and loved; the fair and the grotesque, the mad and the mild, the good and the evil - her winnings in life.

Is she the Master of the Game?

Who is Kate Blackwell? She is the symbol of success, the beautiful woman who parlayed her inheritance into an international conglomerate. Winner of a unique position among the wealthy and world-renowned. And she's a survivor, indomitable as her father, the man who returned from the edge of death to wrench a fortune in diamonds from the bleak South African earth. Now, celebrating her ninetieth birthday, Kate surveys the family she has manipulated, dominated, and loved: the fair and the grotesque, the mad and the mild, the good and the evil -- her winnings in life. Is she the... MASTER OF THE GAME?… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,430,311 books! | Top bar: Always visible