Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus: The…

Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus: The Classic Guide to… (original 1992; edition 1992)

by John Gray

Member:Daniel.Estes
Title:Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus: The Classic Guide to Understanding the Opposite Sex
Authors:John Gray
Info:Thorsons (2002), Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Archived
Tags:How-To, Audiobook

Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus by John Gray (Author) (1992)

English (48)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Arabic (1)  All languages (53)

No-recomendado por Lussita

Propósitos de este desafío:Leer de principio a fin libros considerados "malos". Mi intención es encontrar al menos UNA cualidad buena en ellos y reseñarlos objetivamente siguiendo 20 puntos a desarrollar brevemente. (Los puntos varían según el género del que se trate.)

Si tienen ganas de No-recomendarme otros libros pueden comentar
por acá o ACÁ. ¡Cualquier género es bienvenido! Cuanto más variado, mejor :)
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
As an author, I'm trying to read books that would give me insights for me to develop my female characters.
It's really hit and miss, and unfortunately this book was a miss.

My first impression on reading this book was that it was outdated and probably written in the 1940's-1950's, and so I was surprised that it came out in 1991. The title, as well as much of the content was a bit gimmicky, full of childish metaphors. It also seems to be an exercise in self-promotion, with the back pages filled with advertisements of his other books, 'teaching' aids, tapes, DVD's and seminar offerings.

It is so repetitious, obviously to fill the pages, as he says the same thing over and over again. The whole book of 323 pages could have been reduced to thirty pages.

Of course, I am not in the best position to judge the book, as my wife is Cambodian, and a lot of stuff just doesn't apply to her culture.

For example, in our house the toilet seat is almost always up. And she is in charge of the money - I'm the one that has to ask for pocket money ( )
  BBcummings | Dec 24, 2014 |
Good starter kit for the average man- If you get him to read it that is... A little simplistic but effective for what it sets out to do i.e. give us some insight as to the phenomenon of the species. ( )
  Brumby18 | Dec 21, 2014 |
Critically important message, obscured by repulsively condescending tone. Excellent presentation of same ideas in DeborahTannen's "You Just Don't Understand: Women and Men in Conversation."
  AnamcaraPress | Nov 24, 2014 |
Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus by John Gray
Love the series of books as I find some parts of it directly relate to what I'm going through or have recently solved on my own.
My problems are put into his words with solutions that will work for everybody.
  jbarr5 | Oct 30, 2014 |
This book is dedicated with deepest love and affection to my wife, Bonnie Gray. Her love vulnerability, wisdom and strength have inspired me to be the best I can be and to share what we have learned together.
Imagine that men are from Mars and women are from Venus.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 006016848X, Hardcover)

Relationship counselor John Gray focuses on the differences between men and women--men are from Mars, and women are from Venus, after all--and offers a simple solution: couples must acknowledge and accept these differences before they can develop happier relationships. In this unabridged version, Gray gives a spirited delivery of his message, especially when role-playing typical male/female interactions. Although it takes some time to adjust to his slightly nasal tone, the information is sound and gives both men and women helpful hints on improving themselves and their union. (Running time: 9.5 hours, 6 cassettes) --Sharon Griggins

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:22 -0400)

Popular marriage counselor and seminar leader John Gray provides a unique, practical and proven way for men and women to communicate and relate better by acknowledging the differences between them. Once upon a time Martians and Venusians met, fell in love, and had happy relationships together because they respected and accepted their differences. Then they came to earth and amnesia set in: they forgot they were from different planets. Using this metaphor to illustrate the commonly occurring conflicts between men and women, Gray explains how these differences can come between the sexes and prohibit mutually fulfilling loving relationships. Based on years of successful counseling of couples, he gives advice on how to counteract these differences in communication styles, emotional needs and modes of behavior to promote a greater understanding between individual partners. Gray shows how men and women react differently in conversation and how their relationships are affected by male intimacy cycles ("get close", "back off"), and female self-esteem fluctuations ("I'm okay", "I'm not okay"). He encourages readers to accept the other gender's particular way of expressing love, and helps men and women learn how to fulfill each other's emotional needs. With practical suggestions on how to reduce conflict, crucial information on how to interpret a partner's behavior and methods for preventing emotional "trash from the past" from invading new relationships, Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus is a valuable tool for couples who want to develop deeper and more satisfying relationships with their partners.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,889,358 books! | Top bar: Always visible