Black Wings by Christina Henry

Black Wings

by Christina Henry

This is another good new urban fantasy series. There may be many out there, and because of that there is sure something for everyone to enjoy.

What I liked about this book is that it took a hold of me at once and would not let go. I wanted to know what happened, I needed to knew what the secrets were and it was just such an enjoyable ride while it lasted. There was one thing though that was not that good, but in the end it did not matter since I truly liked this book. But for the record, it was something about the writing sometimes, the way she wrote conversations. They did not feel genuine a few times. But I did not let that bother me because the story won me over.

Maddie is an agent collecting souls. She does not have much time for anything else, I can understand that. Her friend (if you can call it that, more like a pet ;) is a gargoyle who I absolutely loved. A great comic relief for sure. And then a mystery man moves into the building and here is where the book starts to get good. Who is this guy, what is he? And why are demons trying to kill her? The questions are many but we do get the answer we want and more comes as the book ends. And there were some very good answers.

The pages kind of just fly by and since there is always something it makes it a book that I did not want to put down. Which makes this a recommended urban fantasy series and I will sure read book 2. Because even if it ends all good and nice there are still many things that needs to be set straight, and who knows, maybe we will get some romance too. ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
Interesting start to what I think is a new series with an Agent that is the daughter of a demon. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
I am finding more and more urban fantasy stories that are falling more and more into a cookie cutter mold, this book definitely fell outside of it, and I liked it! First off, I appreciated the fact thats he wasn't half naked on the cover of the book. Further, I appreciated the fact that she has a healthy sense of self-preservation, well to a point. This book delved further into angelic mythology than I have ever found need to venture but it wasn't that difficult to understand. I had a tiny bit of a problem understanding the fallen change of command at first but I got it eventually.

I enjoyed the dynamic between Maddy and her men, since she has no female friends, but I especially loved the forbidden chemistry between Maddy and Gabriel. I want to see them together, one because he is a hunk, and two because Nathanial is an ass. I think the plot moved relatively quick with a slight lull in the second quarter of the book, but it picked back up and has sufficient twists to keep me reading. I finished this book in one sitting and will definitely look out for more by this author. ( )
  rosetyper9 | Nov 12, 2015 |
Link to Original Review: http://thepassionatebookworm.blogspot.com/

Black Wings is a fresh take in the fantasy genre. Madeline the main character is an agent of death whose job it is to escort souls into the afterlife. I have not decided if she should be considered a grim reaper or an angel of death. It doesn't really matter because I have not read much mythology/paranormal like this in the current YA fiction genre so I thought this would be a great Stepping out of Your Element book. It is a quick read with some witty parts and does not contain a love triangle! Sometimes just one man is enough!

The setting of this novel is in Chicago! It is so fun knowing the area where the book takes place. It provides a unique connection that I do not usually get with other books. There are so many times that I have wanted to visit Shreveport, Forks, or even Hogwarts! Well duh, who doesn't want to visit Hogwarts.

The main character Maddy is thirty-two years old but acts like a teenager. While most might be unnerved with this, her character felt normal because I read so much YA. She is impulsive and does not take herself seriously, sounds like a YA character to me! However, I am sure that she will mature in the next books!

My only negative with the book is the names of the bad guys. The names are all really unique and I got confused each time a bad guy attacked someone. It took me to near the end to connect the bad guy dots. I am not saying bad guys need to have easy names like BOB but the names definitely slowed me down a bit. ( )
  BrittanyElsen | Sep 24, 2014 |
I listened to the audiobook of this one and found it to be witty, fast paced and exciting. Ms. Henry adds some very nice twists to the lore of "The Fallen Angel" ( )
  TheiBookEmporium | May 21, 2014 |
For Chris and Henry, who make everything worthwhile.
I hate it when a soul goes all stubborn on me.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441019633, Mass Market Paperback)

Escorting souls into the afterlife leaves Maddy little time for socializing-until devilishly handsome Gabriel Angeloscuro agrees to rent the empty apartment in her building. But when demons start appearing on Maddy's front lawn, she realizes there's more to her new tenant than meets the eye.

View our feature on Christina Henry's Black Wings

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:43 -0400)

As an Agent of Death, Madeline Black is responsible for escorting the souls of the dearly departed to the afterlife. Maddy's position may come with magical powers and an impressive wingspan, but it doesn't pay the bills. And then there are her infuriating boss, tenant woes, and a cranky, popcorn-loving gargoyle to contend with. Things start looking up, though, when tall, dark, and handsome Gabriel Angeloscuro agrees to rent the empty apartment in Maddy's building. It's probably just a coincidence that as soon as he moves in demons appear on the front lawn. But when an unholy monster is unleashed upon the streets of Chicago, Maddy discovers powers she never knew she possessed. Powers linked to a family legacy of tarnished halos. Powers that place her directly between the light of Heaven and the fires of Hell.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,359,822 books! | Top bar: Always visible