Black Wings by Christina Henry

Black Wings

by Christina Henry

Recently added byCristinaLogg, private library, RowingRabbit, Tala2cubs, raselyem7, Irena., issy05

Link to Original Review: http://thepassionatebookworm.blogspot.com/

Black Wings is a fresh take in the fantasy genre. Madeline the main character is an agent of death whose job it is to escort souls into the afterlife. I have not decided if she should be considered a grim reaper or an angel of death. It doesn't really matter because I have not read much mythology/paranormal like this in the current YA fiction genre so I thought this would be a great Stepping out of Your Element book. It is a quick read with some witty parts and does not contain a love triangle! Sometimes just one man is enough!

The setting of this novel is in Chicago! It is so fun knowing the area where the book takes place. It provides a unique connection that I do not usually get with other books. There are so many times that I have wanted to visit Shreveport, Forks, or even Hogwarts! Well duh, who doesn't want to visit Hogwarts.

The main character Maddy is thirty-two years old but acts like a teenager. While most might be unnerved with this, her character felt normal because I read so much YA. She is impulsive and does not take herself seriously, sounds like a YA character to me! However, I am sure that she will mature in the next books!

My only negative with the book is the names of the bad guys. The names are all really unique and I got confused each time a bad guy attacked someone. It took me to near the end to connect the bad guy dots. I am not saying bad guys need to have easy names like BOB but the names definitely slowed me down a bit. ( )
  BrittanyElsen | Sep 24, 2014 |
I listened to the audiobook of this one and found it to be witty, fast paced and exciting. Ms. Henry adds some very nice twists to the lore of "The Fallen Angel" ( )
  TheiBookEmporium | May 21, 2014 |
RATING: 2 stars

I must admit I skipped a few pages on this one (about 20, towards the end). I was bored by the whole Gabriel thing (I should have known... his last name is "Angeloscuro", so he would be brooding and tortured) and Madeline was too much of a powered-up Mary Sue. The plot was thin and the writing wasn't great. Sure the idea was mildly interesting and I was liking the story up until Gabriel appeared, but overall it could have been much better. :P ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
This was actually pretty good. Gabriel was kind of a wimp, definitely not Alpha but the characters were interesting and Maddy was a good heroine. She had all this power but it freaked her out and she couldn't control it, not like your usual PNR heroine. ( )
  LaCello | Sep 21, 2013 |
decidedly meh ( )
  emcnicho | Aug 25, 2013 |
For Chris and Henry, who make everything worthwhile.
I hate it when a soul goes all stubborn on me.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441019633, Mass Market Paperback)

Escorting souls into the afterlife leaves Maddy little time for socializing-until devilishly handsome Gabriel Angeloscuro agrees to rent the empty apartment in her building. But when demons start appearing on Maddy's front lawn, she realizes there's more to her new tenant than meets the eye.

View our feature on Christina Henry's Black Wings

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:50 -0400)

As an Agent of Death, Madeline Black is responsible for escorting the souls of the dearly departed to the afterlife. Maddy's position may come with magical powers and an impressive wingspan, but it doesn't pay the bills. And then there are her infuriating boss, tenant woes, and a cranky, popcorn-loving gargoyle to contend with. Things start looking up, though, when tall, dark, and handsome Gabriel Angeloscuro agrees to rent the empty apartment in Maddy's building. It's probably just a coincidence that as soon as he moves in demons appear on the front lawn. But when an unholy monster is unleashed upon the streets of Chicago, Maddy discovers powers she never knew she possessed. Powers linked to a family legacy of tarnished halos. Powers that place her directly between the light of Heaven and the fires of Hell.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,350,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible