Black Wings (Black Wings, Book 1) by…

Black Wings (Black Wings, Book 1) (edition 2010)

by Christina Henry

245None47,748 (3.58)3
Member:SunnySD
Title:Black Wings (Black Wings, Book 1)
Authors:Christina Henry
Info:Ace (2010), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, urban fantasy, fantasy, angels, Death, reapers, wings, demons, gargoyles, assassins, magic

Black Wings by Christina Henry

Loved it. Fantastic characters and fascinating world building and a very interesting and different take on angel/demon mythology I haven't seen before. Very impressed. ( )
  sunsetxcocktail | Jan 20, 2014 |
RATING: 2 stars

I must admit I skipped a few pages on this one (about 20, towards the end). I was bored by the whole Gabriel thing (I should have known... his last name is "Angeloscuro", so he would be brooding and tortured) and Madeline was too much of a powered-up Mary Sue. The plot was thin and the writing wasn't great. Sure the idea was mildly interesting and I was liking the story up until Gabriel appeared, but overall it could have been much better. :P ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
This was actually pretty good. Gabriel was kind of a wimp, definitely not Alpha but the characters were interesting and Maddy was a good heroine. She had all this power but it freaked her out and she couldn't control it, not like your usual PNR heroine. ( )
  LaCello | Sep 21, 2013 |
decidedly meh ( )
  emcnicho | Aug 25, 2013 |
I picked up this book for a number of reasons, one I do like books about angels, and two, the whole agent of death concept brings me back to one of my favorite shows, Dead Like Me, so I figured I would give it a try. I'm not exactly sure what I was expecting, but by the end of the book I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed the book.

I like the character of Maddy, she has a pretty good head on her shoulders, and to her credit she doesn't back down. I think part of the reason I really liked Maddy in this book is that while she is powerful, she is just coming in to her power and so she doesn't really know how use it, which leads to the action in this book being unpredictable I also like that Maddy is the type of girl who runs into the fire to help people.

Another thing that makes Maddy all the more enjoyable to read is her cast of sidekicks. Well, technically she only has the one sidekick, her gargoyle, who is pretty hilarious with his antics and eating habits. Gabriel is kind of a big question mark throughout the book, he knows a lot more than he is telling, and the rules regarding Maddy and Gabriel's interactions are rigid to say the least.

And speaking of rules, the world Maddy was born into is more than complex. The rules are rigid and disobeying the rules almost always seem to end in beheading, so talk about incentive to "behave". Unfortunately for Maddy, she has no idea what the rules are, and she ends up putting her foot in her mouth on more than one occasion To say Maddy has a complex and some crazed family situation would be an understatement.

I would recommend this book. The descriptions are pretty good, the characters a pretty good, and once the action takes of it doesn't really ever stop. I read this book pretty quickly and enjoyed it from beginning to end. I look forward to reading the sequel. This book isn't heavy on the romance, so if you are looking for that I have a feeling you will find it in book two. But if you are an urban fantasy lover who wants serious action then you will probably enjoy this book. ( )
  UFReviews | Apr 29, 2013 |
For Chris and Henry, who make everything worthwhile.
I hate it when a soul goes all stubborn on me.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441019633, Mass Market Paperback)

Escorting souls into the afterlife leaves Maddy little time for socializing-until devilishly handsome Gabriel Angeloscuro agrees to rent the empty apartment in her building. But when demons start appearing on Maddy's front lawn, she realizes there's more to her new tenant than meets the eye.

View our feature on Christina Henry's Black Wings

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:50 -0400)

As an Agent of Death, Madeline Black is responsible for escorting the souls of the dearly departed to the afterlife. Maddy's position may come with magical powers and an impressive wingspan, but it doesn't pay the bills. And then there are her infuriating boss, tenant woes, and a cranky, popcorn-loving gargoyle to contend with. Things start looking up, though, when tall, dark, and handsome Gabriel Angeloscuro agrees to rent the empty apartment in Maddy's building. It's probably just a coincidence that as soon as he moves in demons appear on the front lawn. But when an unholy monster is unleashed upon the streets of Chicago, Maddy discovers powers she never knew she possessed. Powers linked to a family legacy of tarnished halos. Powers that place her directly between the light of Heaven and the fires of Hell.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,458,838 books! | Top bar: Always visible