Kiss at Your Own Risk by Stephanie Rowe

Kiss at Your Own Risk

by Stephanie Rowe

Series: Soulfire (1)

Stephanie Rowe has been on my Authors-to-check out list for years, so when Sourcebooks offered this one for free, I snagged it up.
And I am glad I did. This book starts with action, and it doesn’t slow down. But the reason I loved this book was the characters. The characters were a mix of good sides, and bad sides. Their goals were grounded in their pasts. In a way, all the goals made sense, even though their methods might be frowned upon. Both Blaine and Tracy were a bit homicidal, but they fit. In fact, I loved how Blaine saw Tracy’s homicidal tendencies as a sign of love.
I am really glad that I picked up this book, and I’ll definitely pick up the next book in the series.
  Mikaela_l | Sep 21, 2013 |
This was a fun, quirky book that will have you laughing out loud in several spots. Every time I start one of Stephanie Rowe's books, I know I am going to get transported to a completely different world from anything I have read before. The characters are each so unique that I couldn't wait to turn to the next page to see what awaited me. This story is action packed, humorous and addicting! I can't wait to read the rest of the series!! Definitely recommend for anyone who likes paranormal and fun reads! ( )
  hcollins | Aug 10, 2013 |
The hint that this is not going to be the book I usually come across was right there in the first sentence I read: "he knew tonight wasn't the night he was going to get his newest cross-stitching tapestry finished..."

No, you did not understand it wrong. Alexander Blaine Underhill III, our main hero, likes to cross-stitch.
Why? There has to be some rational expalantion?
Well, of course there is. :p
He was imprisoned by the black witch in the Den of Womanly Pursuits for more than three hundred years. The evil witch (who by the way is Death's granma also) tried to emasculate him so she could control him.
But did learning to cross-stitch hinder Blaine? No, he is one mean-lean-killing machine.
And the first thing he plans to do now that he is free, is to kill the witch who kept him prisoner. To be able to do that he needs to enlist a help of reluctant black widow Trinity Harpswell, defeat hordes of schnoodemgons (poodles demons dragons mix monsters), act like a brute so Trinity does not fall in love and kill him, escape the witch who is trying to catch him again, defeat hired assain Oh Shit It's Augustus, catch cameleon monster that is killing people in the city and save his best friend from certain death.
Peace of cake!

If Monty Python's ever decided to write a paranormal romance novel, this is how I imagine it would turn out. Situations and characters are border-line absurd most of the time, but somehow [a:Stephanie Rowe|19729|Stephanie Rowe|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1331008736p2/19729.jpg] managed to make it work. ( )
  bookwormdreams | Apr 10, 2013 |
Trinity has a difficult time with love. Whenever a certain someone comes along and strikes her fancy, the Black Widow within kicks into high gear, and before she knows it … they’re dead. Luckily, Trinity has discovered a way to break this frustrating curse and reclaim her life: simply do not kill for five years. Sounds simple enough right? Unfortunately, with one week to go, Trinity is pulled into chaos by Blaine Underhill. Blaine is looking for a Black Widow to kill Angelina. Angelina runs the Den of Womanly Pursuits, a place where men are tortured and demeaned in order to train them to be good men. This den has been running for over 100 years but it’s time for its doors to close…

Kiss At Your Own Risk is hilarious, thrilling, incredibly interesting and very well thought-out. This is not your typical paranormal romance. 4/5.

http://www.read-all-over.net/fiction/paranormal-romance/kiss-at-your-own-risk-by... ( )
  eireannoir | Apr 14, 2011 |
Plot:

Trinity is cursed, and if she kills for the 5th time she will be unstoppable, every time she falls for a guy she kills him, but if she only makes it one more week she will be free. But then her dad gets into trouble, and there is a serial killer in town, on top of it all sexy Blaine shows up and offers her a deal. Now she must try to hate him for a week so she wont kill him by accident.

My thoughts:

There was sure a lot going on in this book, and I liked that. It was strange, funny and utterly weird sometimes.

Trinity is really sweet and she hates her curse. Every time she falls for a man she goes into killing mode. While Blaine is angry tormented and hate women. He has been tortured for 150 years by an evil witch. Here is the funny part, I kind of understood Angelica, the evil witch doing the torturing. She just wants to create nice men that are kind to women. Ok wrong method, but still, not even when she sent her cute killer dogs after Blaine and his friends I could hate her.

It was a strange world that I would have liked to explore more. There seems to be magical dimensions, and our world. Death, or Prentiss that is his real name, took over the Death contract and got that job that way. There are nasty assassins running around killing, there werewolves, vampires, trolls, it's a full world. By the way, I liked Death, sure he was an utter ass-hole that had a harem of women, and they never got any satisfaction from him, but still he was so funny.

Among all this magic, there is humour and that really sets the tone for the book. It is just so amusing.

One problem I had thought was that Blaine was so angry and male, did he learn nothing while tortured *coughs* silly question. But the whole I will kill you think, meh, then again it had to be that way. But he did lose a few points there.

Recommendation and final thoughts:

I was so amused, I do like funny paranormal romance, so I would recommend this to others. It's a 3,75, that could have been a 4. I would sure like to read more from this world and explore it, and meet Death again. Perhaps he will learn a lesson about dealing with women.

Reason for reading:

Sounded fun ( )
  blodeuedd | Jan 13, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 140224195X, Mass Market Paperback)

He needed a killer woman...

Blaine Underhill is one lucky man after having recently escaped a century and a half of imprisonment at the hands of an evil witch. Now he's determined to save his still-enslaved friend, but in order to do so, he'll need the help of one of the world's most lethal women.

She was drop dead gorgeous, literally...

Trinity Harpswell is sick and tired of being a Black Widow. Having managed to go three years without accidentally killing anyone she loves, she's one short week away from freeing herself from this killer curse forever.

When Blaine tracks her down and convinces her to help him, little does Trinity know that the next seven days are going to be murder!

Praise for Stephanie Rowe's paranormal Romances:

"A hilarious underworld romp filled with mayhem, sass, and romance to die for." -Katie MacAlister, New York Times bestselling author of Love in the Time of Dragons

"Snappy patter, goofy good humor, and enormous imagination... [a] genre-twister that will make readers... rabid for more." -Publishers Weekly

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:38 -0400)

Trinity Harpswell is a cursed Black Widow--death and mayhem are all part of the job description. If she can manage to go just one more week without accidentally killing someone, she'll break this killer curse and put her Black Widow days behind her. When sexy Blaine Underhill III shows up at her door and asks for her help rescuing his friend from the clutches of Death's evil grandma, Trinity gets pulled into a daring high stakes adventure. As Blaine and Trinity join forces to take down a series of underworld assassins, they may just learn that love is the deadliest game of all.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,864,862 books! | Top bar: Always visible