The Witch's Daughter by Paula Brackston

The Witch's Daughter

by Paula Brackston

A great book! Not quite as intense as I was expecting. The story line is well developed. The end could be viewed as predictable the closer you got to finishing the book.
  aaproper1 | Jul 25, 2017 |
There's no Time Travel or real romance in this story, there is hatred, evil and good fighting evil. In 1628 Bess Hawksmith in caught up in plague and witch hysteria and an exit is offered by Gideon Masters, a Warlock who has a price, a price that Bess isn't willing to pay, she wants to live a good life and she does her best to do so while being hunted by Gideon Masters, who takes on different appearances over time while he chases her. Now she's in present-day England, she works as a hedge witch, selling at fairs and markets and a teenager befriends her, Tegan, she teaches Tegan the ways of a hedge witch and she finds that she is a worthy student, but Gideon is still hunting her. She has to try to protect Tegan and finish this fight.

I know there were some issues with it but I enjoyed it. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jan 16, 2017 |
Quite liked this book!! Pleasant surprise :) ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |
I thought I would like this book more than I did. I still liked it, don't get me wrong, but I didn't love it. I can see why so many people like it though and I am excited to read the sequel and see where this story goes. I do like the author's way of telling a story. I would recommend this book. 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  Beammey | Jul 23, 2016 |
This was a different book than what I usually read. It was well written. Seemed like there was a lot of history and story to cover in a short time. I'm still a little confused why she decided it was okay to teach Tegan stuff.

The descriptions were really good, you could really visualize the characters and locations. Well done. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031262168X, Hardcover)

My name is Elizabeth Anne Hawksmith, and my age is three hundred and eighty-four years. Each new settlement asks for a new journal, and so this Book of Shadows begins…

In the spring of 1628, the Witchfinder of Wessex finds himself a true Witch. As Bess Hawksmith watches her mother swing from the Hanging Tree she knows that only one man can save her from the same fate at the hands of the panicked mob: the Warlock Gideon Masters, and his Book of Shadows. Secluded at his cottage in the woods, Gideon instructs Bess in the Craft, awakening formidable powers she didn’t know she had and making her immortal. She couldn't have foreseen that even now, centuries later, he would be hunting her across time, determined to claim payment for saving her life.

In present-day England, Elizabeth has built a quiet life for herself, tending her garden and selling herbs and oils at the local farmers' market. But her solitude abruptly ends when a teenage girl called Tegan starts hanging around. Against her better judgment, Elizabeth begins teaching Tegan the ways of the Hedge Witch, in the process awakening memories--and demons--long thought forgotten.

Part historical romance, part modern fantasy, The Witch’s Daughter is a fresh, compelling take on the magical, yet dangerous world of Witches. Readers will long remember the fiercely independent heroine who survives plagues, wars, and the heartbreak that comes with immortality to remain true to herself, and protect the protégé she comes to love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:34 -0400)

Witnessing the death of her witch mother in the spring of 1628, Bess Hawksmith turns to secluded warlock Gideon Masters for protection and learns formidable powers, including immortality, skills she begins teaching to a new apprentice centuries later.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Paula Brackston's book The Witch's Daughter was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,222,125 books! | Top bar: Always visible