American Vampire by Jennifer Armintrout

American Vampire (edition 2011)

by Jennifer Armintrout

Title:American Vampire
Authors:Jennifer Armintrout
Info:Mira (2011), Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages

American Vampire by Jennifer Armintrout

This is the first Jennifer Armintrout book I've read and I think it's a good book to start with. It has romance, adventure, mystery, suspense and, dare I say, a little coming of age theme. I do believe it's the first novel with that combination that I've read.

Graf isn't your typical hero. Yes, he's a vampire and he loves vintage cars and leather, but he's not what I'd call a hero. He's not very mature, on the contrary, he acts like a thirteen year old all the time. He has that "mine is bigger than yours" attitude. But, as the story progresses, you can see him maturing. He stops acting like being a vampire makes him king of the world and starts thinking of others before himself. I do believe he was very unfortunate to end up stuck in Penance, but I also think he deserved it. Even the town's name says it: he had some sins he needed to atone for and grow up at the same time. The Graf at the beginning of the story wouldn't have put himself between the angry townsmen and Jessa and he wouldn't have saved her life.

Jessa is one of those women who don't accept their age and can't let go of the past. On the night 'It' appeared, she lost her family, leaving her all alone in a town that didn't have anything to offer her. Her ex-boyfriend married her best friend, though he couldn't let go of their "high school sweetheart" relationship. I don't think Jessa likes that kind of life, but she clearly isn't making any move to change it. Maybe she's waiting for a sign or maybe she believes everything that happened is her fault. She is a little bitchy at times and that kind of annoyed me at some point. But she too grows up as the story is told and she manages to let go of the past.

The book was funny. I laughed at some parts and the snarky remarks between Jessa and Graf made me smile a lot. Some parts of the book were a bit too much for my tastes, but the book kept me in its grasp from start to finish. I will definitely try other novels by Ms. Armintrout. ( )
  Rubys.books | Oct 15, 2016 |
Dark & gritty, not the typical vampire novel out today. A frightening look at how dangerous a closed minded society can be. Graf MacDonald is a metro vampire, he dresses well and likes the city life. He is also rude, arrogant, uncaring, judgmental and easily irritated. He is traveling when he is caught in some kind of nightmare, being trapped in a town of simple country folk. A great beast keeps them afraid and separate from the rest of the world. He must hide what he is and deal with the drama around him while trying to escape. He asks "Does it rain white trash in this town ?" He stays with a young women, with enough drama in her life for a soap opera, She is untrusting and her past haunts her, Graf is not welcome. He has to fight with everything he has to stay alive with little hope of escape. Things get really ugly with the town folk. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
American Vampire --- one of those stories where NO ONE is quite the good guy, and there are a few bad guys...and yet you find yourself rooting for one of the not quite good/not quite baddies, just because....

I had fun reading this one. One of the reviews I read said there was little to distinguish this from other paranormal romances. I disagree.

The basics - Graf is a vampire. Graf is on his way to a party, looking forward to it. He has a kick-ass car but isn't so good on GPS, or finding his way around, and he's lost. So seeing it's getting close to dawn, decides to pull over at a gas station - even though it looks closed...might be a place to hide for the day. But what's this? he sees a light inside the building, so he investigates....

And comes across not only a monster, but a girl who's trying to hide from monster. He saves her and drives her home and finds out he's ended in in.....PENANCE, Ohio. A place people haven't been able to come in or out of for FIVE years. What are the odds?

Jessa (the girl) isn't too happy to have a guest, being stuck in a town for five years wreaks havoc on your supplies, etc....

So she's continuously trying to find a way to get rid of this guy, he's one bite away from "eating" her (for reals, needs to eat ....SOON) and on top of that the townspeople are weird...and not so great things begin to happen...

so...not your average love story. Both main characters have some flaws and character defects, one of them isn't very concerned with his....

Fun story, great dialogue and some weird ass shenanigans. I liked it. :) ( )
  Mardel | May 3, 2013 |
I read this book because of the author's recaps of "50 Shades of Grey" on her blog. Paranormal vampire romance is not my thing but this book was great. ( )
  matamgirl | Apr 3, 2013 |
Graf McDonald is a vampire. He is also stuck in a small town with people who haven’t been able to leave or have seen anyone new in five years, and they don’t like strangers. To make matters worse, there is a monster more powerful than he is somewhere in the woods.

When he first arrives in Penance, Ohio he meets Jessa. Graf saves her life and she takes him in before she knows what he is. Though they argue a lot, Jessa is the only one in the town that trusts him.

I could not put this book down. It’s been a very long time since I’ve been pulled into a story this much. If I did put the book down it wasn’t for long because it was all I could think about. I had to pick it back up and keep reading. I needed to know what was going to happen next.

The plot is fast-paced. The Writing is incredible and the characters are very real. Jennifer made being stuck in a small town with a vampire and a monster believable. I will definitely be reading more by this author. ( )
  TheBookHoarder | Jan 19, 2013 |

Buried in the heartland is a town that no one enters or leaves. Graf McDonald somehow becomes its first visitor in more than five years, and he was only looking for a good party. Unfortunately, Penance, Ohio, is not that place. And after having been isolated for so long, they do not like strangers at all. Jessa's the only one to even remotely trust him, and she's desperate for the kind of protection that only a vampire like Graf can provide. Supplies are low, the locals are ornery for a sacrifice and there's a monster more powerful than Graf lurking in the woods. New men are hard to come by in this lonesome town, and this handsome stranger might be Jessa's only hope for salvation. Even if she has to die first...--From back cover.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Harlequin.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,749,868 books! | Top bar: Always visible