American Vampire by Jennifer Armintrout

American Vampire (edition 2011)

by Jennifer Armintrout

8820137,094 (3.54)4
Member:TheBookHoarder
Title:American Vampire
Authors:Jennifer Armintrout
Info:Mira (2011), Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:*****

American Vampire by Jennifer Armintrout

American Vampire --- one of those stories where NO ONE is quite the good guy, and there are a few bad guys...and yet you find yourself rooting for one of the not quite good/not quite baddies, just because....

I had fun reading this one. One of the reviews I read said there was little to distinguish this from other paranormal romances. I disagree.

The basics - Graf is a vampire. Graf is on his way to a party, looking forward to it. He has a kick-ass car but isn't so good on GPS, or finding his way around, and he's lost. So seeing it's getting close to dawn, decides to pull over at a gas station - even though it looks closed...might be a place to hide for the day. But what's this? he sees a light inside the building, so he investigates....

And comes across not only a monster, but a girl who's trying to hide from monster. He saves her and drives her home and finds out he's ended in in.....PENANCE, Ohio. A place people haven't been able to come in or out of for FIVE years. What are the odds?

Jessa (the girl) isn't too happy to have a guest, being stuck in a town for five years wreaks havoc on your supplies, etc....

So she's continuously trying to find a way to get rid of this guy, he's one bite away from "eating" her (for reals, needs to eat ....SOON) and on top of that the townspeople are weird...and not so great things begin to happen...

so...not your average love story. Both main characters have some flaws and character defects, one of them isn't very concerned with his....

Fun story, great dialogue and some weird ass shenanigans. I liked it. :) ( )
  Mardel | May 3, 2013 |
I read this book because of the author's recaps of "50 Shades of Grey" on her blog. Paranormal vampire romance is not my thing but this book was great. ( )
  matamgirl | Apr 3, 2013 |
Graf McDonald is a vampire. He is also stuck in a small town with people who haven’t been able to leave or have seen anyone new in five years, and they don’t like strangers. To make matters worse, there is a monster more powerful than he is somewhere in the woods.

When he first arrives in Penance, Ohio he meets Jessa. Graf saves her life and she takes him in before she knows what he is. Though they argue a lot, Jessa is the only one in the town that trusts him.

I could not put this book down. It’s been a very long time since I’ve been pulled into a story this much. If I did put the book down it wasn’t for long because it was all I could think about. I had to pick it back up and keep reading. I needed to know what was going to happen next.

The plot is fast-paced. The Writing is incredible and the characters are very real. Jennifer made being stuck in a small town with a vampire and a monster believable. I will definitely be reading more by this author. ( )
  TheBookHoarder | Jan 19, 2013 |
Graff McDonaldnever intended to end up in Penance, it wasn't part of the plan, the plan was to head for his sire, Sophie's, party and party hard. However Penance is cursed and he's stuck in it, there he finds Jessa who has been surviving in this town for the five years it has been cut off from the rest of the world as best as she can, they're attracted but can they survive the stress everyone is under.

I found it an interesting read, the characters were well-drawn and the situations believable (for certain limits of believability). I enjoyed the read, it kept me engaged. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jul 4, 2012 |
Jennifer Armintrout should be a better known author than she is. A few years back she wrote a fabulous vampire series called "Blood Ties". She shocked me by the depravity of some of the characters. Morality wasn't a black and white concept to those vampires, more like shades of grey. I didn't always like the characters or their choices but I was hooked on the storytelling. Her next effort was a fae type of trilogy that was extremely well told and also highly underrated. Of course I had to read her newest effort, "American Vampire", a single title novel.

The story is about a vampire named Graf who is minding his own buisiness, headed to a party hosted by his maker, when he finds himself stuck going in circles. Instead of hot women and some hot blood to quinch his thirst, Graf finds a town cut off from the outside world and the monster which inhabits that town. Since the monster has mysteriously shown up in Penance, Ohio no one else has been able to leave the town, nor has anyone outside the town been able to find a way in. So it is strange when Graf shows up. The town is immediately wary of the newcomer.

Jessa's been alone since her family has died. Most of the town doesn't look too fondly on Jessa either. When Graf can't find shelter and dawn in fast approaching, the two make a bargain that ensures him Jessa's roof over his head. From this point the plot is pretty simple. Graf and Jessa try to uncover the mystery of the monster and hopefully discover a way to leave town.

I liked the plot and I suspected what was behind the mystery but never knew with 100% certaintly until the end. I liked Graf because I didn't think he fell easily into either good guy or bad guy status. Jessa also is unique in that she is a heroine who is pretty but not gorgeous and she has a reputation, even somewhat deservadly, of being the town easy. I was able to root for them and I also thought the monster or "IT" as the town people referred to the monster, was quite entertaining.

Some of the story was slow moving and I wasn't thrilled with the novel's resolution. The book ended up being just so so for me and not amoung Armintrout's standouts. Still with this author's track record, I remain eager to see what she creates in the future. ( )
  pacey1927 | Nov 5, 2011 |

Buried in the heartland is a town that no one enters or leaves. Graf McDonald somehow becomes its first visitor in more than five years, and he was only looking for a good party. Unfortunately, Penance, Ohio, is not that place. And after having been isolated for so long, they do not like strangers at all. Jessa's the only one to even remotely trust him, and she's desperate for the kind of protection that only a vampire like Graf can provide. Supplies are low, the locals are ornery for a sacrifice and there's a monster more powerful than Graf lurking in the woods. New men are hard to come by in this lonesome town, and this handsome stranger might be Jessa's only hope for salvation. Even if she has to die first...--From back cover.… (more)

Harlequin

An edition of this book was published by Harlequin.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,476,009 books! | Top bar: Always visible