Gentlemen prefer blondes : the illuminating…

Gentlemen prefer blondes : the illuminating diary of a professional lady (original 1925; edition 1992)

by Anita Loos

5652017,607 (3.75)64
Member:bertilak
Title:Gentlemen prefer blondes : the illuminating diary of a professional lady
Authors:Anita Loos
Info:London ; New York : Penguin Books, 1992.
Collections:Your library, Read in 2012
Tags:source=Impact, cost=35, retail=895, origpub=1925, 1920s, jazz age, flappers, encyclopediacs, diary, thinking, Button King, Paris, Etiquette, Mr Ginzburg, Mr Mountginz, self-improvement, Little Rock AR, girl with brains like I, veecount, Eyefull Tower, advocat, sharmant, Rue de la Paix, oriental express, nothing but sunshine, gold diggers, marry a millionaire

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes by Anita Loos (1925)

Review of the audiobook edition:

This Audible edition starts with an introduction and a preface (I guess) which are labelled as Chapters 1 and 2. If, like me, you prefer to skip introductions, then start with Chapter 3!

Patrice O'Neill's voice was excellent for this novel; a bit reminiscent of Marilyn Monroe in the film version but not overly so.
  leslie.98 | Aug 25, 2016 |
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes is a humorous novel written by Anita Loos and first published in 1925. Although many are familiar with the 1953 movie version starring Marilyn Monroe, the novel is a satire and was probably one of the first introductions of the ditzy blonde. Lorelei Lee is a fantastic character and the book is set up to read as her diary. We follow Lorelei as she travels from New York to London and Paris, entertaining and gathering gifts from her gentlemen friends along the way. Of course, the author has created a memorial character and one who is a lot smarter than her appearance would lead you to believe. Gold-digger Lorelei knows both her own worth and the worth of the expensive gifts she expects and receives from her admirers.

In Gentlemen Prefer Blondes Anita Loos cleverly pokes fun at class, religion, politics and culture. And as Lorelei goes about manipulating her gentlemen callers, her diary spares no one and is very funny. This is a very short novel or novella but it is crammed with memorable and highly quotable lines. Marilyn Monroe and her iconic performance in the movie immediately spring to mind when I read lines such as “Kissing your hand may make you feel very good, but a diamond bracelet lasts forever” .

I found this a light, delightful and entertaining story. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jul 1, 2016 |
I ended up liking this more than I thought I would, it is startling to realize that it was written more than 90 years ago. There were several moments that I laughed out loud. I need to re-watch one of the movies. ( )
1 vote kcshankd | Jun 11, 2016 |
I found this book to be very entertaining and extremely silly. Although i its short I had to read it in chunks because it started to grate on me after too much time, so it took a while. That said, the voice of the protagonist was endearing and funny and it was a great fun read. ( )
  GraceZ | Sep 6, 2014 |
While at times it was entertaining and hilarious, I was mostly bored as I read the book. Lorelei is extraordinarily brainless and the best parts are where she is being insulted and takes it as a compliment. Loos does a brilliant job of capturing Lorelei's character in the words and how she uses them on the page (intentionally rife with misspellings and repeated words (very 90s Valley Girl esque only "so" and "and" and "really" instead of "like" and "totally"). ( )
  CSTaylor24 | Mar 5, 2014 |

Anita Loosprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
ffolkesIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vickers, HugoIntroductionmain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Barton, RalphIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bushnell, CandaceIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To John Emerson
March 16th:
A gentleman friend and I were dining a the Ritz last evening and he said that if I took a pencil and paper and put down all of my thoughts it would make a book. This almost made me smile as what it would really make would be a whole row of encyclopediacs. I mean I seem to be thinking practically all of the time.

The delirious 1925 Jazz-Age classic that no less an authority than Edith Wharton called "the great American novel."

If any American fictional character of the twentieth century seems likely to be immortal, it is Lorelei Lee of Little Rock, Arkansas, the not-so-dumb blonde who knew that diamonds are a girl's best friend. Outrageous, charming, and unforgettable, she's been portrayed on stage and screen by Carol Channing and Marilyn Monroe and has become the archetype of the footloose, good-hearted gold digger, with an insatiable appetite for orchids, champagne, and precious stones. Here are her "diaries," created by Anita Loos in the Roaring Twenties, as Lorelei and her friend Dorothy barrel across Europe meeting everyone from the Prince of Wales to "Doctor Froyd"-and then back home again to marry a Main Line millionaire and become a movie star. In this delightfully droll and witty book, Lorelei Lee's wild antics, unique outlook, and imaginative way with language shine.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:11 -0400)

MODERN & CONTEMPORARY FICTION (POST C 1945). This delirious 1925 Jazz Age classic introduced readers to Lorelei Lee, the small-town girl from Little Rock, who has become one of the most timeless characters in American fiction. Outrageous and charming, this not-so-dumb blonde has been portrayed on stage and screen by Carol Channing and Marilyn Monroe and has become the archetype of the footloose, good-hearted gold digger (not that she sees herself that way). Masquerading as her diaries, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes follows Lorelei as she entertains suitors across Europe before returning home to marry a millionaire. In this delightfully droll and witty book, Lorelei's glamorous pragmatism shines, as does Anita Loos's mastery of irony and dialect. A craze in its day and with ageless appeal, this new Liveright edition puts Lorelei back where she belongs: front and center.… (more)

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,241,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible