Gentlemen prefer blondes : the illuminating…

Gentlemen prefer blondes : the illuminating diary of a professional lady (original 1925; edition 1992)

by Anita Loos

Member:bertilak
Title:Gentlemen prefer blondes : the illuminating diary of a professional lady
Authors:Anita Loos
Info:London ; New York : Penguin Books, 1992.
Collections:Your library, Read in 2012
Tags:source=Impact, cost=35, retail=895, origpub=1925, 1920s, jazz age, flappers, encyclopediacs, diary, thinking, Button King, Paris, Etiquette, Mr Ginzburg, Mr Mountginz, self-improvement, Little Rock AR, girl with brains like I, veecount, Eyefull Tower, advocat, sharmant, Rue de la Paix, oriental express, nothing but sunshine, gold diggers, marry a millionaire

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes by Anita Loos (1925)

While at times it was entertaining and hilarious, I was mostly bored as I read the book. Lorelei is extraordinarily brainless and the best parts are where she is being insulted and takes it as a compliment. Loos does a brilliant job of capturing Lorelei's character in the words and how she uses them on the page (intentionally rife with misspellings and repeated words (very 90s Valley Girl esque only "so" and "and" and "really" instead of "like" and "totally"). ( )
  CSTaylor24 | Mar 5, 2014 |
Stanford's "Another Look" Book Club got me to read Anita Loos comic masterpiece "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" in Kindle format since I was too embarrassed to put the actual book on my shelf. The Marilyn Monroe film version is wonderful in a very different way, placed in a 1950s context, while the book is pure 1920s flapper jazz age. The 1925 book is told in the voice of a young female con artist-grifter whose blythe spirit, sexy looks, and commercial cunning raise her out of a background of rape and violence into moneyed luxury and even marriage to a millionaire. But she is no ordinary gold-digger, she is writing this diary (with inspired malapropisms) as she travels to the Central of Europe and encounters Munchen with its High Brow Kunst and Half Brow beer. She encounters Dr. Froyde in Vienna, and he tells her she needs a few more inhibitions, and to get some sleep. While she writes she starts to script her life and writes herself a highly improbably happy ending worthy of Disney Hollywood: she marries a boring millionaire but links up with another low life to write movie "scenarios." Her Presbyterian husband underwrites the films and works as the censor to edit out the steamy scenes, something he enjoys doing. As Lorelei says it's all devine. It would seem like total fantasy except that at the same time Anita Loos was writing it, Clare Boothe (the other loose woman) lived the story in real life as a showgirl turned writer and married her first millionaire at age 20...
  ElenaDanielson | May 29, 2013 |
This was a positively silly book and it almost embarrassed me to be reading it. Luckily, it was incredibly short (less than 200 pages) so I was able to get through it in one weekend. It is the journal of Lorelei Lee, a Midwest girl making her way in the New York City with gal pal Dorothy. Lorelei's idea of making her way is to see how many men she can charm into "educating" her with their wallets. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes is Lorelei's diary from March 16th to July 10th and chronicles (complete with spelling and grammatical errors) her trip to Paris, France and Europe beyond all the while juggling many different male suitors. She starts nearly every sentence with "So" to the point where it got on my nerves the way someone says "like" all the time (and not the "like" on FaceBook, although that can get annoying as well). Lorelei uses shopping as her weapon and is quite good at it. I had a few laugh out loud moments. My recommendation is to find the 195 version. The illustrations are priceless. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Apr 3, 2013 |
1925: Meanwhile, Edith Wharton says this is the Great American Novel. Is she also being an asshole? Am I supposed to read this? Should I also rent the first season of Sex in the City?
  AlCracka | Apr 2, 2013 |
Giving up. Simply isn't funny to me. may try again some day
  Murphy-Jacobs | Mar 30, 2013 |

Anita Loosprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barton, RalphIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bushnell, CandaceIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To John Emerson
March 16th:
A gentleman friend and I were dining a the Ritz last evening and he said that if I took a pencil and paper and put down all of my thoughts it would make a book. This almost made me smile as what it would really make would be a whole row of encyclopediacs. I mean I seem to be thinking practically all of the time.

The delirious 1925 Jazz-Age classic that no less an authority than Edith Wharton called "the great American novel."

If any American fictional character of the twentieth century seems likely to be immortal, it is Lorelei Lee of Little Rock, Arkansas, the not-so-dumb blonde who knew that diamonds are a girl's best friend. Outrageous, charming, and unforgettable, she's been portrayed on stage and screen by Carol Channing and Marilyn Monroe and has become the archetype of the footloose, good-hearted gold digger, with an insatiable appetite for orchids, champagne, and precious stones. Here are her "diaries," created by Anita Loos in the Roaring Twenties, as Lorelei and her friend Dorothy barrel across Europe meeting everyone from the Prince of Wales to "Doctor Froyd"-and then back home again to marry a Main Line millionaire and become a movie star. In this delightfully droll and witty book, Lorelei Lee's wild antics, unique outlook, and imaginative way with language shine.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:36 -0400)

MODERN & CONTEMPORARY FICTION (POST C 1945). This delirious 1925 Jazz Age classic introduced readers to Lorelei Lee, the small-town girl from Little Rock, who has become one of the most timeless characters in American fiction. Outrageous and charming, this not-so-dumb blonde has been portrayed on stage and screen by Carol Channing and Marilyn Monroe and has become the archetype of the footloose, good-hearted gold digger (not that she sees herself that way). Masquerading as her diaries, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes follows Lorelei as she entertains suitors across Europe before returning home to marry a millionaire. In this delightfully droll and witty book, Lorelei's glamorous pragmatism shines, as does Anita Loos's mastery of irony and dialect. A craze in its day and with ageless appeal, this new Liveright edition puts Lorelei back where she belongs: front and center.… (more)

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,121,009 books! | Top bar: Always visible