Much Ado about Nothing (A Signet classic) by…

Much Ado about Nothing (A Signet classic) (original 1598; edition 1964)

by William Shakespeare (Author)

Member:PSII
Title:Much Ado about Nothing (A Signet classic)
Authors:William Shakespeare (Author)
Info:Signet Classics (1989), 192 pages

Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare (1598)

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Beatrice and Benedick and Lizzie and Darcy- there are some similarties! This is my favorite of Shakespeare's comedies! Two characters who love to spar with words, 2 couples who love each other, and a bad guy! Perfect mix...

English (65)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (69)
Although it's satire at its highest points and farce at its lowest, the emotional brutality leaves you gasping for air. His best comedy. ( )
  camillawb | Nov 6, 2018 |
Much Ado About Nothing is one of Shakespeare’s comedies. I didn’t have any previous familiarity with the story, and this was only my second Shakespeare read since highschool about 25 years ago, the first being Hamlet last year.

This play is sort of a two-for-one deal on romance. You have one couple who other people are trying to tear apart, and a different couple who a different set of other people are trying to bring together. I enjoyed it, but not quite as much as Hamlet. I found the story to be a little predictable, and I was also less invested in the characters.

Claudio got on my nerves a bit and Hero barely seemed to have any personality, but I did like Beatrice and Benedick. The scenes with Dogberry were a hilariously fun surprise. I was laughing hysterically at some of the things he said. If it hadn’t been for the commentary that I was reading simultaneously with the play informing me that he was mistaking his words, I think I would have been much more confused by his scenes and might have missed out on that fun. I could have thought it was my understanding that was at fault, since I’m still a bit shaky on understanding all the language, especially those words that have a different meaning today than they did in Shakespeare’s day. The unfamiliar words are actually easier to understand, because I have many years’ practice in understanding unfamiliar words based on context. The familiar-but-different words are trickier for me since I’m more likely to automatically read them with the modern meaning without thinking about it.

Almost immediately after I finished reading the play, I watched the Kenneth Branagh version of the movie. After I read Hamlet last year, watching a couple of the movies afterward added a lot to the experience. This movie was pretty fun. My main complaint is that the scenes with Dogberry, while somewhat funny, weren’t nearly as hilarious as they were in my mind while I read the play. I was disappointed in that because I’d really been looking forward to seeing how that was played in the movie. Don John was also played too over-the-top for my tastes. Otherwise, my reactions to the characters in the movie were similar to my reactions while reading the play, except that I liked the prince, Don Pedro, very much in the movie whereas he didn’t make much of an impression on me in the play. The actor gave him much more presence. ( )
1 vote YouKneeK | Nov 4, 2018 |
Boardway theatre archive
  Lonarae47 | Nov 3, 2018 |
Phenomenal scholarly edition. ( )
  therebelprince | Oct 30, 2018 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

I learn in this letter that Don Pedro of Aragon comes this night to Messina.
He wears his faith but as the fashion of his hat.
Silence is the perfectest herald of joy: I were but little happy, if I could say how much.
I thank God I am as honest as any man living that is an old man and no honester than I.
What a deformed thief this fashion is.
Is it not strange that sheep's guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?
This work is for the complete Much Ado About Nothing only. Do not combine this work with abridgements, adaptations or simplifications (such as "Shakespeare Made Easy"), Cliffs Notes or similar study guides, or anything else that does not contain the full text. Do not include any video recordings. Additionally, do not combine this with other plays.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743482751, Mass Market Paperback)

Folger Shakespeare Library

The world's leading center for Shakespeare studies

Each edition includes:

• Freshly edited text based on the best early printed version of the play

• Full explanatory notes conveniently placed on pages facing the text of the play

• Scene-by-scene plot summaries

• A key to famous lines and phrases

• An introduction to reading Shakespeare's language

• An essay by an outstanding scholar providing a modern perspective on the play

• Illustrations from the Folger Shakespeare Library's vast holdings of rare books

Essay by Gail Kern Paster

The Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, D.C., is home to the world's largest collection of Shakespeare's printed works, and a magnet for Shakespeare scholars from around the globe. In addition to exhibitions open to the public throughout the year, the Folger offers a full calendar of performances and programs.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:29 -0400)

Presents Shakespeare's romantic comedy about a loving couple torn apart by a false accusation and a bickering couple brought together by friendly plotting.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140714804, 0141012307

Sourcebooks MediaFusion

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks MediaFusion.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,399,865 books! | Top bar: Always visible