Much Ado About Nothing by William…

Much Ado About Nothing (original 1600; edition 1994)

by William Shakespeare

Member:empress8411
Title:Much Ado About Nothing
Authors:William Shakespeare
Info:Dover Publications (1994), Paperback, 80 pages
Tags:Shakespeare, Plays, Classics

Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare (1600)

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Beatrice and Benedick and Lizzie and Darcy- there are some similarties! This is my favorite of Shakespeare's comedies! Two characters who love to spar with words, 2 couples who love each other, and a bad guy! Perfect mix...

English (56)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All (60)
Charles II wrote "Benedick and Beatrice" beside the title of the play in his copy of the Second Folio, as I have also done where Much Ado is inscribed on my heart. ( )
  MeditationesMartini | Jan 11, 2017 |
The Things and the Nothings: "Much Ado About Nothing" by William Shakespeare, Sylvan Barnet, David L. Stevenson Published 1989.

NB: Read in tandem with the Branagh, Whedon and BBC’s versions. This review draws extensively from my reading of the three movies, as well as from my re-reading of the play.

Let’s get this out of the way first. “Much Ado about Nothing” is one of my favourite Shakespeare’s plays.

Each time I re-read it, I always feel Shakespeare uses it as part of the macho banter in the male-dominated culture of this soldier band of brothers, but it also has a serious side in creating a sense of male insecurity and mistrust of women.

The entire play is underlaid with mistrust of women- Benedick's first line is, "were you in doubt, sir, that you asked her?" Leonato's jest lightly plays with the stereotype of the unfaithful wife and the masculine fear of raising another man's son and Benedick immediately takes him up on it. I think Shakespeare is creating a cast of men who are very much in a male only world and struggle to trust women on any level. It's notable that Don John is a known quantity and yet both Claudio and Don Pedro are quick to believe their eyes and fall for his trap, even though they themselves have just set a similar trap for Benedick and Beatrice and might be expected to stop and think how easily such a thing could be faked. Leonato immediately believes his daughter is corrupt, though only a second's reflection should make him realize that he (and Beatrice) could not have been unaware of a "thousand" midnight meetings between Hero and her imagined swain.

The rest of this review can be found elsewhere. ( )
  antao | Dec 10, 2016 |
Great fun. ( )
  ramon4 | Nov 23, 2016 |
The first three acts of Much Ado About Nothing are included among my favorite things written by Shakespeare--witty, crisp, and clever! However, the fourth and fifth acts reduce to a soapy whodunit, flattening the amazing characters presented previously. Nonetheless, this is still one of my favorite Shakespeare plays, and there are some fantastically quotable lines from this play that are completely underrated in favor of "wherefore art thou Romeo?" I think that "I will live a bachelor!" is much more easily slipped into normal conversation, judging by how often people complain about the sex they are attracted to XD ( )
  theCamille | Sep 26, 2016 |
I enjoyed this more than I thought I would, maybe because I read the modern translation of it. It really made the story easier to understand. I think the part I liked the most was Benedick and Beatrice's relationship. It brought some very much needed humor to the play. ( )
  KeriLynneD | Sep 20, 2016 |

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

I learn in this letter that Don Pedro of Aragon comes this night to Messina.
He wears his faith but as the fashion of his hat.
Silence is the perfectest herald of joy: I were but little happy, if I could say how much.
I thank God I am as honest as any man living that is an old man and no honester than I.
What a deformed thief this fashion is.
Is it not strange that sheep's guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?
This work is for the COMPLETE "Much Ado About Nothing" ONLY. Do not combine this work with abridgements, adaptations or "simplifications" (such as "Shakespeare Made Easy"), Cliffs Notes or similar study guides, or anything else that does not contain the full text. Do not include any video recordings. Additionally, do not combine this with other plays.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743482751, Mass Market Paperback)

Folger Shakespeare Library

The world's leading center for Shakespeare studies

Each edition includes:

• Freshly edited text based on the best early printed version of the play

• Full explanatory notes conveniently placed on pages facing the text of the play

• Scene-by-scene plot summaries

• A key to famous lines and phrases

• An introduction to reading Shakespeare's language

• An essay by an outstanding scholar providing a modern perspective on the play

• Illustrations from the Folger Shakespeare Library's vast holdings of rare books

Essay by Gail Kern Paster

The Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, D.C., is home to the world's largest collection of Shakespeare's printed works, and a magnet for Shakespeare scholars from around the globe. In addition to exhibitions open to the public throughout the year, the Folger offers a full calendar of performances and programs.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:29 -0400)

Features information on Shakespeare's life and world, a history of notable productions of this famous comedy, and new dramatic criticism.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140714804, 0141012307

Sourcebooks MediaFusion

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks MediaFusion.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,759,402 books! | Top bar: Always visible