Left Neglected by Lisa Genova

Left Neglected (edition 2011)

by Lisa Genova

Member:writestuff
Title:Left Neglected
Authors:Lisa Genova
Info:Gallery Books (2011), Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Women's Fiction

Left Neglected by Lisa Genova

English (108)  Finnish (2)  All (110)
When I first heard about this book, I thought the story line of a working mom recovering from a traumatic brain injury sounded interesting. Then I saw the author was a neuroscientist and was afraid it might have too much medical technology that would take away from the story. Obviously, I decided to give it a try anyway and am very glad I did. The story is very well written and will make you both laugh and cry. It is also an eye opener as well into the effects of “Left Neglect”, which is something I had never quite heard of before. If I hadn’t known of the author’s background, I would have thought the symptoms and hurdles within the story were fictional and overly creative. Instead, you find them believable and even more interesting. You want to be there to cheer on any little improvement and be there to pick her up when she falls. This book is far from what I consider to be “chick lit” but I do think female readers will enjoy it more, especially working moms. ( )
  lynnski723 | Dec 31, 2016 |
I picked up this book as a fan of Jodi Picoult who is a fan. It features Sarah who has a frenetic life with a high-powered job as well as three children one of whom seems to be struggling at school. One day while driving to work her life changes forever in ways she could never have envisaged.

Sarah is not a likeable person and I couldn't identify at all with someone who put her job before her family especially as she critises her own mother for being distant after a family tragedy when Sarah was young.

I did find it interesting showing her efforts to regain her life but it is very simplistic and unrealistic at times. Highlighting a little known condition it reads at times like a real life account of a woman and her realisation that things have to change. I feel that there is so much more that could have been written and developed to show how her rehabilition works. Her husband is almost an afterthough and we never really learn much about him and how he copes

The first few chapters have dream sequences which are confusing and add nothing to the story.

The ending although good in some ways was rather rushed and contrived.

What this book shows well is that we may think that we have our life all planned out but things can happen without warning which changes everything we think we know about ourself. As the saying goes 'Life is what happens when we're busy making plans' ( )
  Northern_Light | Dec 20, 2016 |
Interesting read, about a woman whose brain was damaged in a car accident, and the ramifications of that on her, her family, their money, etc. Left neglect is a condition in which there is a lack of awareness of things on the left. I had - have - a hard time wrapping my head around the mechanix of that, but it's an interesting read, and one definitely learns from it. ( )
  JeanetteSkwor | Nov 15, 2016 |
Couldn’t sleep in the middle of the night so I got up and finished reading Left Neglected by Lisa Genova. Sarah Nickerson had a high level corporate job, putting in 80 hour days and her husband was super busy in his job too. They are both very intelligent and Harvard educated. She depended on multitasking to survive her busy schedule. The couple's together time was about nil due to her career and her three young children. She wanted so badly to be with them more and felt guilty about it

She had a car accident, hydroplaned on the highway and ended up with right part of her brain missing. That is called Left Neglect. There was a secondary story about her relationship with her mother who she felt had abandoned her when her baby brother died. Her mother stayed alone in her room for years while Sarah longed for her mother's company.

Left Neglect is a syndrome that even though your eyesight is still there your brain does not register that you are seeing the left side of the room, page, etc. The author said that President Woodrow Wilson had that when he had his stroke. Sarah went through the shock of not seeing anything on the left, of not knowing where her left arm or left was, unable to button her blouses, unable to see her children when they were on the left side of the room. What is that like? Lisa Genova studied this condition and then interviewed people with this condition before writing this story. That is why what Sarah feels, says and does seems so real.

I highly recommend Left Neglect to everyone interested in brain injuries and brain syndromes and families. ( )
  Carolee888 | Oct 21, 2016 |
I really did enjoy this book about Left Neglect, which is a really weird condition where people who have had a stroke or an accident where the head is hurt, switch off the Left side of everything! A really hard concept to get your head round! They are not blind and can be in good health but don't see the left side of anything, their own bodies, a room, just about everything.
This is the story of Sarah Nickerson a high flying executive who doesn't have enough hours in the day, 3 children (one of which has ADHD) a husband and 2 motgages. She has a dreadful accident which leaves her with Left Negelct and she has to rebuild her life.
It is a really good read, written with warmth and humour, I am still not sure I have my head round the condition, but is not so terribly rare! ( )
  Glorybe1 | Sep 21, 2016 |
Lisa Genova holds a doctorate in neuroscience from Harvard. She knows her way around the human brain, and it shows....
Genova is a master of getting into the heads of her characters, relating from the inside out what it's like to suffer from a debilitating disease. How she does it we don't know, but she does, and brilliantly....This is a well-told tale from a keen medical mind. Picking up anything written by Genova is quickly becoming, well, a no-brainer.

If Lisa Genova’s objective is to shed light, from inside the brain, on rarely looked at neurological conditions, as she did in her bestselling first novel, Still Alice, then she succeeds with Left Neglected....If there’s a weakness at all in Left Neglected, it’s that the novel doesn’t feel as vital and immediate as Still Alice, which may be attributed to the first novel having been born out of Genova’s intense feelings about her grandmother’s Alzheimer’s. Or it could just be the usual sophomoric tendency to put your all into your first project. While the empathy she is intent on showing is never clunky, the story is a touch clichéd in places and it would be a shame in the future to see Genova err on the side of the formulaic.

For Chris and Ethan
I think some small part of me knew I was living an unsustainable life.

Sarah, a career-driven young mother, suffers a traumatic brain injury in a car accident that leaves her unable to perceive left-side information. The disability causes her to struggle through an uncertain recovery as she adapts to her new life.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,784,126 books! | Top bar: Always visible