Left Neglected by Lisa Genova

Left Neglected (edition 2011)

by Lisa Genova

Member:writestuff
Title:Left Neglected
Authors:Lisa Genova
Info:Gallery Books (2011), Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Women's Fiction

Left Neglected by Lisa Genova

English (89)  Finnish (2)  All languages (91)
Another book by the author who wrote "Still Alice". A fantastic book again, which deals with the characteristics of the brain that can go wrong, and cause issues. I would recommend others to read this book, and enjoy Genova's writing style. ( )
  amme_mr | May 5, 2015 |
Having recently read Still Alice, I knew this would be a good read and I was not disappointed. Lisa Genova can both address the technical nature of the illnesses suffered by the characters in her books, as well as the day-to-day feelings they experience as they struggle to cope with something that is pulling their work life and self-perception to a halt.

Unlike Still Alice's focus on Alzhemier's, I had no knowledge of the "left neglect" condition that can occur with traumatic brain injury to the right side of the brain. It was interesting to read about how that impacts someone's basic life functions, and I was almost more interested in that than in the story itself. Their were a few side stories that seemed a bit disconnected, such as the appearance of Sarah's mother after virtually being absent for most of her life. Her three children were not as much of a factor during her rehab as I imagined they would be, and being separated from them seems to be only a minor concern for her. Of course she was dealing with a lot, but if that were me and one of my children was only 9 months old, I'd be pretty worried about losing my connection with the baby who is not seeing mom much at all. Anyway, I did enjoy the book and look forward to more from her. ( )
  lynetterl | Feb 27, 2015 |
If I would have known before I started the book that the author has a PhD in Neuroscience from Harvard, I probably would not have read the book. Too much science and not enough story for me. I did, however, enjoy how Sarah's life changed from the hustle and bustle of the corporate life to appreciating the simpler things.
  Judy.Welker.Frick | Jan 1, 2015 |
Another great book by Lisa Genova. I had never heard of this condition before. It was a wonderful book about how this woman learned to come to term with her condition and learn to live life to its fullest. ( )
  MiriamMartin | Dec 12, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book and the author’s very detailed descriptions of emotions, feelings, and settings; however, I liked Love Anthony a little better – possibly due to fact I listened to the audio-Left Neglected on audio, versus reading.

A great thought provoking story about a woman who is type A career driven with a busy lifestyle and no time to spare for family and herself until one day this all changed with an accident which left her without usage of her left side. During this time she relied on her estranged mother and learned the lessons of life without the hectic schedule. Loving their Vermont home, she found a haven with a new life and learned to live on less affording her more time to do what is important to her. A very rewarding story about people with Left Neglect and a lesson for us all who live in the fast lane!
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
If Lisa Genova’s objective is to shed light, from inside the brain, on rarely looked at neurological conditions, as she did in her bestselling first novel, Still Alice, then she succeeds with Left Neglected....If there’s a weakness at all in Left Neglected, it’s that the novel doesn’t feel as vital and immediate as Still Alice, which may be attributed to the first novel having been born out of Genova’s intense feelings about her grandmother’s Alzheimer’s. Or it could just be the usual sophomoric tendency to put your all into your first project. While the empathy she is intent on showing is never clunky, the story is a touch clichéd in places and it would be a shame in the future to see Genova err on the side of the formulaic.

Lisa Genova holds a doctorate in neuroscience from Harvard. She knows her way around the human brain, and it shows....
Genova is a master of getting into the heads of her characters, relating from the inside out what it's like to suffer from a debilitating disease. How she does it we don't know, but she does, and brilliantly....This is a well-told tale from a keen medical mind. Picking up anything written by Genova is quickly becoming, well, a no-brainer.

For Chris and Ethan
I think some small part of me knew I was living an unsustainable life.

Sarah, a career-driven young mother, suffers a traumatic brain injury in a car accident that leaves her unable to perceive left-side information. The disability causes her to struggle through an uncertain recovery as she adapts to her new life.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,905,668 books! | Top bar: Always visible