Left Neglected by Lisa Genova

Left Neglected (edition 2011)

by Lisa Genova

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:stroke, illness, rehabilitation

Left Neglected by Lisa Genova

English (98)  Finnish (2)  All languages (100)
(15) This is a quickly read novel by the author of 'Still Alice,' which was a gripping read narrated by a neuroscientist who realizes she has early onset Alzheimer's Disease. This puts a similar face on the neurological condition of left-sided neglect which is usually a post-stroke phenomenon that most of us doctors only learn about n medical school but don't really ever see. Genova is a neuroscientist, who also just happens to be a decent writer in terms of plot, dramatic tension, pacing. This book clipped right along and I could certainly relate to Sarah Nickerson, our protagonist, a 30-something working mother in corporate American, living in yuppie vile, with two mortgages, two kids, student loans, and a luxury vehicle -- a lot of balls in the air and trying to project a perfect life. It all comes crashing down on her after a car accident leaves her with this bizarre neurological handicap.

In many ways, this story is much more 'Lifetime' movie of the week than 'Still Alice." It had that happily ever after kind of vibe that detracted just a bit where as her first novel was a bit more gritty, sad. But nevertheless , I thought it was entertaining, succinct, funny, poignant and an all around entertaining read. Excellent airplane, beach reading material. I hate to say it, but one can almost multi-task while reading it -- despite the disastrous consequences of such behavior pointed out in the novel.

I will read more of her novels. I like the New England settings, The demographics of her protagonists speak to me. Not great literature to be sure, but satisfying and interesting. ( )
  jhowell | Apr 8, 2016 |
This novel introduced to me a medical condition I've never heard of before, left neglect. I tried to imagine not knowing what my left side is doing, not knowing if my hand is clutching something or waving or even still there. Everything should work, but the brain just doesn't process the left side.

While interesting, this book didn't engage we quite as much as the others I've read by this author, especially Still Alice. The protagonist was stretched thin with family and career, but I didn't especially like her. She had more than a little hubris, and prided herself on multitasking. Wow, did that go wrong!

There were heartfelt moments in the book, and some funny ones, too, although at the expense of Sarah. To me, though, I just couldn't connect with Sarah. She didn't have the depth I expected from one of Genova's characters. This is still a good book, but I liked both Still Alice and Inside the O'Briens better.

I listened to an audio version of this novel, and the narrator is quite good. ( )
  TooBusyReading | Mar 27, 2016 |
Hard-working supermom Claire gets into a car accident that leaves her with brain damage. She has a condition known as Left Neglect which means she is no longer aware of anything that's in the left side of her world.

Very well-written. ( )
  jenn88 | Feb 14, 2016 |
Another excellent story by Lisa Genova, very moving and thought-provoking; a compelling read I didn't want to put down. ( )
  SabinaE | Jan 23, 2016 |
After a horrific car accident, successful business woman and mother, Sarah Nickerson, suffers a brain injury known as Left Neglect where the patient's brain is unable to acknowledge or recognise the left-side of anything. Suddenly Sarah finds herself helpless, unable to feel the left-side of her body, read the left-side of a page or see anything on the left-side of the room. Fiercely independent before the accident, Sarah suddenly finds herself relying on others to do the most basic of tasks for her.

I had never heard of Left Neglect before reading this book and I found Sarah to have a believable voice. I shared her fears, frustrations, small successes and fighting spirit. I can only imagine her heart-ache when she first realised everything she had lost and how terrifying that must have been. Gradually, however, Sarah learns to cope with her limitations and comes to appreciate what is really important in life.

Sarah's mother is another great character. With her own fears and insecurities she steps in to become Sarah's personal nurse - dressing her, helping with Sarah's physio therapy, looking after the children and taking care of the general running of a busy household.

My only negative would be that the build-up to the accident was a bit too long and the end came quickly, otherwise it was a fascinating read. I am becoming a real Genova fan. Can't wait for her next book. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
Lisa Genova holds a doctorate in neuroscience from Harvard. She knows her way around the human brain, and it shows....
Genova is a master of getting into the heads of her characters, relating from the inside out what it's like to suffer from a debilitating disease. How she does it we don't know, but she does, and brilliantly....This is a well-told tale from a keen medical mind. Picking up anything written by Genova is quickly becoming, well, a no-brainer.

If Lisa Genova’s objective is to shed light, from inside the brain, on rarely looked at neurological conditions, as she did in her bestselling first novel, Still Alice, then she succeeds with Left Neglected....If there’s a weakness at all in Left Neglected, it’s that the novel doesn’t feel as vital and immediate as Still Alice, which may be attributed to the first novel having been born out of Genova’s intense feelings about her grandmother’s Alzheimer’s. Or it could just be the usual sophomoric tendency to put your all into your first project. While the empathy she is intent on showing is never clunky, the story is a touch clichéd in places and it would be a shame in the future to see Genova err on the side of the formulaic.

For Chris and Ethan
I think some small part of me knew I was living an unsustainable life.

Sarah, a career-driven young mother, suffers a traumatic brain injury in a car accident that leaves her unable to perceive left-side information. The disability causes her to struggle through an uncertain recovery as she adapts to her new life.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible