Left Neglected by Lisa Genova

Left Neglected (edition 2011)

by Lisa Genova

Title:Left Neglected
Authors:Lisa Genova
Info:Gallery Books (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:stroke, illness, rehabilitation

Left Neglected by Lisa Genova

English (105)  Finnish (2)  All languages (107)
Couldn’t sleep in the middle of the night so I got up and finished reading Left Neglected by Lisa Genova. Sarah Nickerson had a high level corporate job, putting in 80 hour days and her husband was super busy in his job too. They are both very intelligent and Harvard educated. She depended on multitasking to survive her busy schedule. The couple's together time was about nil due to her career and her three young children. She wanted so badly to be with them more and felt guilty about it

She had a car accident, hydroplaned on the highway and ended up with right part of her brain missing. That is called Left Neglect. There was a secondary story about her relationship with her mother who she felt had abandoned her when her baby brother died. Her mother stayed alone in her room for years while Sarah longed for her mother's company.

Left Neglect is a syndrome that even though your eyesight is still there your brain does not register that you are seeing the left side of the room, page, etc. The author said that President Woodrow Wilson had that when he had his stroke. Sarah went through the shock of not seeing anything on the left, of not knowing where her left arm or left was, unable to button her blouses, unable to see her children when they were on the left side of the room. What is that like? Lisa Genova studied this condition and then interviewed people with this condition before writing this story. That is why what Sarah feels, says and does seems so real.

I highly recommend Left Neglect to everyone interested in brain injuries and brain syndromes and families. ( )
  Carolee888 | Oct 21, 2016 |
I really did enjoy this book about Left Neglect, which is a really weird condition where people who have had a stroke or an accident where the head is hurt, switch off the Left side of everything! A really hard concept to get your head round! They are not blind and can be in good health but don't see the left side of anything, their own bodies, a room, just about everything.
This is the story of Sarah Nickerson a high flying executive who doesn't have enough hours in the day, 3 children (one of which has ADHD) a husband and 2 motgages. She has a dreadful accident which leaves her with Left Negelct and she has to rebuild her life.
It is a really good read, written with warmth and humour, I am still not sure I have my head round the condition, but is not so terribly rare! ( )
  Glorybe1 | Sep 21, 2016 |
I enjoyed this as much as Still Alice, which is saying a lot. This book includes faith issues and I appreciated that. However, the family has no evidence of a worship life and there is no outside spiritual influence. I wonder if it would have been beneficial for her recovery to have outside spiritual support. I would hope so. This is a marvelous book and addresses so many issues. I especially like how it includes the family so much, because nothing major happens without impacting all members of the family. Highly recommended. ( )
  Luke_Brown | Sep 10, 2016 |
An excellent book. Genova is a master. I loved Sarah and her family. But Sarah and her husband work too hard, too many hours, in order to live a certain lifestyle and raise their 3 small children. But they are working so hard they aren't enjoying their life. Then Sarah is in a car accident, and suffers a brain injury called Left Neglect. She is completely unaware of the left side of her body, the left side of a room, the left side of a page of print, the left side of her plate--to her brain, and to her "left" does not exist. As she did in Still Alice, Genova takes inside Sarah and her life to make us feel what she is feeling and experiencing. As you can imagine, this experience means huge life changes for this family, as they come to terms with Sarah's limitations, and she works hard to live with them. ( )
  cherybear | Aug 24, 2016 |
This was a fast read- well-written and the main character's inability to recognize anything to her left after a traumatic brain injury was an interesting health condition to learn more about. Genova has a good grasp of the inner workings of an average woman's heart and thoughts. I thought the ending was wrapped up a little too neatly but overall a worthwhile read. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
Lisa Genova holds a doctorate in neuroscience from Harvard. She knows her way around the human brain, and it shows....
Genova is a master of getting into the heads of her characters, relating from the inside out what it's like to suffer from a debilitating disease. How she does it we don't know, but she does, and brilliantly....This is a well-told tale from a keen medical mind. Picking up anything written by Genova is quickly becoming, well, a no-brainer.

If Lisa Genova’s objective is to shed light, from inside the brain, on rarely looked at neurological conditions, as she did in her bestselling first novel, Still Alice, then she succeeds with Left Neglected....If there’s a weakness at all in Left Neglected, it’s that the novel doesn’t feel as vital and immediate as Still Alice, which may be attributed to the first novel having been born out of Genova’s intense feelings about her grandmother’s Alzheimer’s. Or it could just be the usual sophomoric tendency to put your all into your first project. While the empathy she is intent on showing is never clunky, the story is a touch clichéd in places and it would be a shame in the future to see Genova err on the side of the formulaic.

For Chris and Ethan
I think some small part of me knew I was living an unsustainable life.

Sarah, a career-driven young mother, suffers a traumatic brain injury in a car accident that leaves her unable to perceive left-side information. The disability causes her to struggle through an uncertain recovery as she adapts to her new life.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,695,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible