Left Neglected by Lisa Genova

Left Neglected (edition 2011)

by Lisa Genova

Title:Left Neglected
Authors:Lisa Genova
Info:Gallery Books (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages

Left Neglected by Lisa Genova

English (93)  Finnish (2)  All languages (95)
Sarah, an executive, wife and mother of three, is on the executive treadmill when she is in a car accident. Suffering from a traumatic brain injury, she is discovered to be suffering LEFT NEGLECT. Her body does not register the left side of her body. Her rehabilitation is painstakingly slow. She reevaluates her relationships, her life and her well being and discovers what is really important.

As in. I SIDE THE O'BRIENS, the author has taken an. Usual medical condition and researched it thoroughly, explaining and describing it to the reader through a fictionalized account of a person's experience with it.

Great writing and touching story. ( )
  LivelyLady | Nov 24, 2015 |
love Genova's writing style because it's so easy to get sucked into her books. All the blurbs on the cover say things along the line of "Clear your schedule" - and that's brilliant advice. It was incredibly hard to put the book down each time I had to go do something else. But above her writing style, I love Genova's subjects. She has a PhD in neuroscience, and has used that knowledge in both of her books I've read so far (Love Anthony being the other). The condition of "left neglect" that is the focus in this book is so fascinating, and I had never heard of it, so I was absolutely drawn in to learning about the condition. The characters are realistic as well, and the side story lines are really interesting, but her knowledge of neuroscience makes me eager to read more of her books and see what else she tackles. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
Someone I know had a stroke and developed Left Neglect. She knew what it was because she had read this book, so I decided to read it too.

When I began this book I didn't like Sarah. I thought she was a snooty person who cared nothing for actual people. It was all about work and success. Yes she loved her children, but were they just an extension of her ego? Her desire to be a perfect parent as well as a perfect professional? Where was my compassion? The compassion reserved for all beings, likable or not? OK, this is fiction. I'm allowed not to like someone who doesn't really exist.

Of course once she had the accident and became disabled, I felt differently. The novel unfolds and acquires more depth as Sarah discovers her limitations and struggles with fighting them vs. accepting them and moving on to have the life she desires and deserves. The effect of her increased awareness influences the lives of her children, her husband and her mother, long alienated from her by a childhood tragedy. Lisa Genova also describes Left Neglect in a way that you can really understand it. It isn't paralysis. It is lack of awareness of the left. A fascinating look into how the brain's awareness of left is coupled to the ability to see left and to move left.

I read it again and was able to feel compassion for her the second time around. In fact, I recognized a bit myself in her, especially when driving on the highway this week...

Altogether a rewarding and enriching reading experience. ( )
  krazy4katz | Oct 29, 2015 |
Sarah Nickerson has it all and juggles it beautifully until multi-tasking exacts its toll. While driving to work and making a quick call on her cell phone she is distracted from traffic just a blink of an eye too long and is involved in an accident. Although she survives the accident she has the effects of a lingering brain injury called “left neglect”. For Sarah the whole left side of her perception has disappeared.

While reading this book I couldn’t help but feel Sarah’s horror as she realizes that her life as she knows it has come to an end. Simple things we all take for granted have now become an ordeal. The reader follows along as Sarah readjusts not only how she looks at and functions in her new world, but also how her new life impacts those around her.

It was an entertaining read about an interesting subject of which I no prior knowledge.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
Another book by the author who wrote "Still Alice". A fantastic book again, which deals with the characteristics of the brain that can go wrong, and cause issues. I would recommend others to read this book, and enjoy Genova's writing style. ( )
  amme_mr | May 5, 2015 |
Lisa Genova holds a doctorate in neuroscience from Harvard. She knows her way around the human brain, and it shows....
Genova is a master of getting into the heads of her characters, relating from the inside out what it's like to suffer from a debilitating disease. How she does it we don't know, but she does, and brilliantly....This is a well-told tale from a keen medical mind. Picking up anything written by Genova is quickly becoming, well, a no-brainer.

If Lisa Genova’s objective is to shed light, from inside the brain, on rarely looked at neurological conditions, as she did in her bestselling first novel, Still Alice, then she succeeds with Left Neglected....If there’s a weakness at all in Left Neglected, it’s that the novel doesn’t feel as vital and immediate as Still Alice, which may be attributed to the first novel having been born out of Genova’s intense feelings about her grandmother’s Alzheimer’s. Or it could just be the usual sophomoric tendency to put your all into your first project. While the empathy she is intent on showing is never clunky, the story is a touch clichéd in places and it would be a shame in the future to see Genova err on the side of the formulaic.

For Chris and Ethan
I think some small part of me knew I was living an unsustainable life.

Sarah, a career-driven young mother, suffers a traumatic brain injury in a car accident that leaves her unable to perceive left-side information. The disability causes her to struggle through an uncertain recovery as she adapts to her new life.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,856,898 books! | Top bar: Always visible