I, Emma Freke by Elizabeth Atkinson

I, Emma Freke

by Elizabeth Atkinson

Ten year old Emma spent her life feeling uncomfortable in her own skin, feeling like she doesn't belong, and neglected by her flakey mom. But when she gets to meet her father's side of the family, something magical happens in her life. I loved this story. It was a great story about finding yourself! ( )
  mpettit7974 | Dec 21, 2017 |
Emma Freke (pronounced like Am a Freak) is 12 years old and just shy of six feet tall. She has flaming red hair, is exceptionally smart, and doesn't feel like she belongs anywhere. It doesn't help that her mother sets no rules or boundaries for either Emma or herself. Emma's one solid rock is her best friend Penelope. Emma never met her father and knows nothing about him.
But out of the blue, she receives and invitation to the Freke family reunion, which her mother happily sends her to, alone. There she finds she fits in quite well (nearly everyone is overly tall and red-headed) and everyone seems to like her. But there is also a weird pall that hangs over the event, as conformity seems to be enforced with an iron fist, and the one kid, also 12, who won't conform, is a complete outcast from the family.
Events transpire to make a rather abrupt and completely unbelievable happy ending.
The first half of the book I really enjoyed. I liked Emma and Penelope. But when the family reunion begins, everything becomes rather unbelievable. Characters don't behave the way real people in the same situation would behave. Then, the rushed, everyone-learns-their-lesson-and-changes-for-the-better ending was quite a stretch. ( )
  fingerpost | Aug 14, 2016 |
Really good story! I enjoyed the characters, very believable and had a positive ending. I read it all in one day, very attention grabbing! ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
For all us who have ever felt like the alien in a family, this book is for you. Emma lives with a hippy mother who owns a bead shop. In the apartment above the bead store Emma shares her space with mom, grandpa and his smelly, aging dog. Not only does she feel like the outcast in her family, she has no friends at school and no ability to make friends. Wonderful characters, very good story. Sure to please. ( )
  librarian1204 | May 18, 2014 |
Emma Freke is a bit too smart, a bit too tall, and a bit too, well, "freakish" to have a name like hers (say it outloud). She would much rather spend the day working in her mother's bead shop than attempting to socialize at school and her flighty mother would rather that too, but only so she can worry about dating instead of making a living. When Emma gets an invitation to the family reunion of her father (who she doesn't know) she sees it as an opportunity to maybe finally find her people. She isn't quite prepared for what she learns about herself.

I felt really bad for Emma throughout the first half of the book, and felt like the transformation was too big for short amount of time she spent with the Frekes. Not my favorite Caudill, or my favorite coming of age/finding yourself story, but girls who feel left out at that age might relate and love it. ( )
  agrudzien | Jul 23, 2013 |
"Let's say you were the hands on a clock with the least popular time being one o'clock all the way up to the most popular time being twelve o'clock. What time would you be? The school psychologist, Ms. Fiddle, studied me as if I were an experiment about to bubble over.

"I, Emma Freke, am not a freak. Or maybe I am. I just don't know."

What's in a name? I, Emma Freke is a charming search-for-identity story about Emma―the only "normal" member of her quirky family. Her flighty, New Age mom seems to barely have time for a daughter, especially one who annoyingly spoils her mom's youthful façade. Emma's well-meaning grandpa is clueless. And her only friends are the local librarian and a precocious 10-year old adopted by the two old ladies next door.

Smart, shy, and nearly six feet tall, Emma struggles to fit in at school, so she jumps at the opportunity to "home school" until that too turns into another of mom's half-baked ideas.

The real crisis comes when she gets an invitation to The Freke Family Reunion, and her fellow Frekes aren't at all what she expects. While Emma desperately tries to find her niche, she discovers that perhaps it's better to be her own "freak" than someone else's Freke.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:05 -0400)

Growing up near Boston with her free-spirited mother and old-world grandfather, twelve-year-old Emma has always felt out of place but when she attends the family reunion her father's family holds annually in Wisconsin, she is in for some surprises.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,816,420 books! | Top bar: Always visible