Die for Me by Amy Plum

Die for Me (edition 2012)

by Amy Plum

Member:brigneti
Title:Die for Me
Authors:Amy Plum
Info:New York : HarperTeen, c2012. ebook edition with Bonus Material
Collections:Your library, To read, ebook
Tags:bonus material

Die for Me by Amy Plum

The Eternal Ones by Kirsten Miller (megtall)
    megtall: Immortality combined with romance...you can't go wrong.

This review is also published at http://thebookaholiccat.com

Die for Me is the debut novel of Amy Plum, for her new series Revenants.

Sixteen years old, Kate Mercier finds herself orphan in America after a tragic accident in which her parents died. After some consideration with her older sister Georgia, they decided to leave their previous life behind and move to Paris to live with their grandparents.

Kate is completely heart broken for her loss. Her world crumpled at her feet and she doesn’t know how to continue living. She spends her days in her room in company of her books. She is grieving in the only way she knows. Georgia is different, she is very outgoing and deals with her loss in a different matter, she is always out at dinners or parties surrounded by people.
Kate grandparents and Georgia are worried about Kate and her self inflicted confinement; after one conversation with Georgia in which she tells Kate that she wasn’t the one who died and her parents would had wanted for her to continue living. She promises her sister to do an effort and at least start going out of the house.
Kate doesn’t enjoy parties and bars; she prefers to spend her days at museums or at a nice café reading a good book. And like that is that Kate starts spending her days. She even finds a café close to their house, making it her habitual place to read. One day at her café she sees for first time this gorgeous young guy with which she feels an instant attraction. After some sporadic encounters they start to talk and to know each other. Kate loves to spend her time with Vincent, she feels they have a special connection, and for the first time in many months she feels alive again. But Vincent Delacroix is not just beautiful and charming, he is something else entirely, the question is, would Kate be able to cope with everything that Vincent will bring to her life and does she want to take the risk to have her heart broken again?

Die for Me surprised me. I loved the cover and wanted to read it, but I didn’t have much expectations, I thought it would be another YA paranormal novel, but I was wrong, Die for Me is different from the norm, starting with the setting. This novel is set in Paris; the author’s knowledge of the city is palpable. The descriptions of the streets, places and people are as accurate and realistic as they could be. Another factor that makes this novel different is the paranormal aspect; it was refreshing to read a paranormal book that wasn’t about vampires, shifters or angels. I think Mrs. Plum did a great job with these new “beings”. I won’t say more about them, because is better is you discovered them submerge in the book.

Kate was a great heroine. I loved her normalcy and I really felt her pain for her parents’ death. It made me liked her almost immediately. I also loved the relationship she has with her sister, they are very different but they love each other immensely and are always there for each other even when they fight (it reminded me a lot of the relationship I have with my sister). I loved that she takes her time and considers the consequences of her acts. She doesn’t act rashly even though sometimes she would want to. I also loved her love for books.

Vincent is sweet and caring. He is very protective of his people. He wants to be with Kate but he is willing to let her go if she would be better off without him. I loved the relationship he has with his kindred, they are important to him and him to them, they are like a normal family.

I also liked that Kate and Vincent’s relationship wasn’t rushed. Ok, there was an instant attraction but they took their time to know each other, they went out on dates and took things slowly. I liked that Vincent didn’t expect Kate to accept his “truth” immediately and gave her the space and time she need it. I also liked he is willing to makes changes to his life to be able to have her, instead of her been the one that has to change. In general their relationship felt real and possible.

The supporting characters made this book even better. They are all strong, different and interesting. With each turn of the pages you will want to know more about them. From Kate’s grandparents that were adorable, always trying to do their best for their granddaughters, to Vincent’s kindred and their intrinsic relationship. I loved them all and their different personalities, especially Jules, Ambrose and Gaspard. And as I said before I would love to know more about them and the stories behind them.

Overall Die for Me is a very entertaining YA paranormal novel. It’s well written, well paced and with a beautiful world building. I read it in one sitting, I think that says something about how entailed I was with this book. I recommend this book not just to YA readers but also to all paranormal readers. You won’t be disappointed when you discover the new world that Die for Me presents us.
This is a series I will follow and will be looking forward to read the next installments. ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
This book had a whole new immortal love story plot, so I'd highly recommend this book to my friends. There is never a dull moment and is a cool form of immortality. 5Q5P The cover art is awesome and I'd recommend this to high school students and adults. I chose to read this book because I was in the middle of a tornado drill when I looked up and saw this book, it felt like fate. ZekeB
  edspicer | Dec 30, 2014 |
I was really looking forward to this read & was surprised to find I didn't like it quite as much as expected. Having thought a lot about it, there is really just one aspect that brought the rating down for me. I thoroughly enjoyed Amy Plum's writing and character & plot development. This story is set in Paris, a city that I absolutely adore, so it was fun to revisit in the novel. Die For Me has a unique premise and I will be reading the sequel. The one thing I didn't care for was the "instant" love between the two main characters of the book. Sometimes when you see "instant" love, it is later explained as to how that love is not really so "instant" after all. That was not the case here. The main guy falls madly, hopelessly in love with the main girl with no real explanation. Certainly not because of getting to know her. There is a small explanation given as to why he would be attracted to her after a certain event takes place, but to me at least that didn't explain his head over heels falling for her. And it bugged me. Thus the 3 star rating. However, I still recommend this book for the various reasons listed previously, and am looking forward to checking out the sequel soon. ( )
  Kelly_Mills | Dec 12, 2014 |
This was a really interesting book. I never thought I would enjoy a book about zombies (or revenants if you want to be specific). Vincent and his "family" were by far the best parts of the book. Each of them had a unique personality that was fun to read.

Plum has such a unique way of writing that really intrigued me. I really enjoyed her prose and dialogue. ( )
  forsakenfates | Aug 25, 2014 |
Just kind of fell into this one after reading the sample, since it was so much better written than the last two I read. It's a romance, no doubt about it, but it's not irritating in its cheesiness. And it's totally clean.

I rolled my eyes at the premise a little, early on, but I got over it once things started moving.

More on this and other reviews on fefferbooks.com. ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |

In the City of Lights, two star-crossed lovers battle a fate that is destined to tear them apart again and again for eternity.

When Kate Mercier's parents die in a tragic car accident, she leaves her life--and memories--behind to live with her grandparents in Paris. For Kate, the only way to survive her pain is escaping into the world of books and Parisian art. Until she meets Vincent.

Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome, Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate's guarded heart with just his smile. As she begins to fall in love with Vincent, Kate discovers that he's a revenant--an undead being whose fate forces him to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Vincent and those like him are bound in a centuries-old war against a group of evil revenants who exist only to murder and betray. Kate soon realizes that if she follows her heart, she may never be safe again.

In this incandescent debut, newcomer Amy Plum has created a powerful paranormal mythology with immortal revenants. The Paris setting comes enchantingly alive as a relentless struggle between good and evil takes place in its streets. Rich with romance, atmosphere, and thrills, Die for Me will leave readers breathlessly awaiting its sequel.

After their parents are killed in a car accident, sixteen-year-old Kate Mercier and her older sister Georgia, each grieving in her own way, move to Paris to live with their grandparents and Kate finds herself powerfully drawn to the handsome but elusive Vincent who seems to harbor a mysterious and dangerous secret.… (more)

Amy Plum is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,724,751 books! | Top bar: Always visible