Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent (2011)

by Veronica Roth

Series: Divergent (1)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    The Moon Dwellers by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    burners by Bob Mayer (LongDogMom)
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (Morteana)
    Skylark by Meagan Spooner (reconditereader)
    reconditereader: The opening of Skylark reminds me of some of the scenes with the Dauntless in Divergent. Both are YA dystopia stories.
    Legend by Marie Lu (Aleana)

English (999)  German (5)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (1,015)
I stumbled upon The Hunger Games trilogy last year, reluctantly read the first book despite the genre being one I generally don't tend towards but fell in love. It felt different and I was open to something different. I searched Good Reads for recommendations on the next book to read and the lovers of The Hunger Games consistently recommended Divergent. They were right! I read it in less than a week and was pleasantly surprised to find that it wasn't a regurgitation of The Hunger Games but something else fresh and new. I'm wondering if I'm now a true convert to this YA dystopian genre. Next up: Uglies. ( )
  kellifrobinson | Feb 10, 2016 |
  kellifrobinson | Feb 10, 2016 |
I didn't expect to, but I really loved this book. The complexities of the story and the dystopian world build as the book goes along. At the beginning I was "take it or leave it", but I became literally hooked. Enough was left open-ended for me to question the rules of the world that the author created. Time and again I was surprised, and now, I'm left wanting more. Excellent! ( )
  bjoelle5 | Feb 10, 2016 |
Exhilarating. Thrilling. Intelligent. Enough clues were dropped to make guessing fun (and sometimes I guessed right), but there were too many unexpected turns for the story to become predictable. Interesting and believable characters and good character development. ( )
  benderca | Feb 8, 2016 |
YA distopia strikes again! I quite enjoyed this, found the ideas of the factions interesting, if a little similar to the houses and the choosing hat from Harry Potter. A quick, fun read. ( )
  Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother,
who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how
strong
her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long
There is one mirror in my house.

In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,240,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible