dismiss

Divergent (2011)

by Veronica Roth

Series: Divergent (1)

In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.… (more)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana, frankiejones, al.vick)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (Morteana)
    The Moon Dwellers by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    Waterbound by Jane Stemp (MyopicBookworm)
    Secondborn by Amy A. Bartol (wordcauldron)
    burners by Bob Mayer (LongDogMom)

English (1,275)  German (6)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (1,292)
Couldn't put it down ( )
  MissLisaAnn | Jul 7, 2020 |
Divergent takes place in Chicago years after a society changing disaster. In order to survive, the isolated population has divided itself into five factions, Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Erudite (the intelligent), Amity (the peaceful), and Candor (the honest). Each faction is especially suited to serve the societal roles assigned to their faction. If someone fails to conform or be accepted to one of the factions they become ostracized and relegated to the lowest tier of society, the factionless. When a child reaches sixteen they take an aptitude test which determines which faction they are best suited to and then pledge their loyalty to the faction of their choosing.

The results of Beatrice's aptitude test are confusing because instead of identifying with one faction she somehow has traits that make her eligible for three different factions. She's told by her test procter that she may be “Divergent” and warned never to say that word to anyone or her life will be in danger. She doesn't know what this means and she doesn't have anyone she can talk to about it.

The story follows Beatrice (now renamed Tris), who like others her age must make the difficult decision to choose her faction, an irrevocable decision. If the wrong faction is chosen, there is no going home, the only option available at that point is to become factionless.

I enjoyed the multiple dimensions in Tris, the conflicts between Dauntless and Abnegation, her rebellious attitude. The characters are likable, but not as well-rounded as they could be. Their strengths and flaws are black and white, and not as complex as they could be. Since this is the first book of a trilogy, the characters may become more complex over time.

I read this as a buddy read with my seventeen year old granddaughter. She's probably more of the audience it was directed toward and she gave it five stars. Overall I thought it was a really enjoyable read filled with electrifying decisions, heartbreaking betrayals, stunning consequences, and unexpected romance. I would definitely read the next in the series “Insurgent” and plan to see the movie when it comes out in March.
  Olivermagnus | Jul 2, 2020 |
Divergent is an interesting idea with a totally flawed execution. There are so many logic gaps and purple prose that sprinkles the entire book that I ended up just giving it a 2 star rating.

Divergent is a young adult (YA) dystopian novel that follows 16 year old Beatrice (Tris) as she chooses what faction she wants to belong to. The factions are the following: Abnegation (selfless); Amity (peaceful); Candor (honest); Dauntless (brave); and Erudite (intellectual) which is not a freaking characteristic at least name it intelligence or something to fit the other factions. If you do not complete initiation in whatever faction you choose you become "Factionless", and are forced to live in poverty for the rest of your days cleaning up after the other five factions. After taking her test Tris realizes that she is Divergent (pretend I am whispering that in an ominous tone) which means she is outside the factions and can lead to her being killed.

Honestly this entire book is Hunger Game lite to me. The character of Tris's voice is quite distinctive as you go through the book but some of the dialogue that Veronica Roth has her inner monologing about made me cringe. See my reactions to the following in bold from my Kindle notes:

" A pale ring of sunlight burns into the clouds like the end of lit cigarette"

What? what does this even mean? Is she saying that sun is coming through the clouds? Just say that!

"Those who blamed aggression formed Amity. Those who blamed ignorance formed Erudite. Those who blamed duplicity
formed Candor. Those who blamed selfishness formed Abnegation. And those who blamed cowardice formed Dauntless."

And those who had common sense and realized that those five things alone don't cause war and death fled for another young adult book. This is so freaking dumb. This is Delirious dumb to me right now. I thought reading a book about how Love causes all kinds of mental and physical issues was the dumbest thing I read this year, but no this ties it..

"They will see him as a traitor from now on. His Dauntless family will have the option of visiting him in his new faction, a week and half from now on Visiting Day, but they won't, because he left them. His absence will haunt their hallways, and he will be a
space they can't fill. And then time will pass, and the hole will be gone, like when an organ is removed and the body's fluids flow into the space it leaves. Humans can't tolerate emptiness for long.

WTH? I have so many comments. First, if factions are before blood why do they even have a visiting day for family. Second, my God my eyes are bleeding at this entire paragraph.

That doesn't even touch upon the not logical factions and having a hoard of factionless living to support the other factions. If you were truly selfless would you have others doing for you? If you were truly brave would you be afraid of being honest, etc.

Eventually we follow Tris through her trials at the faction she chooses and all I have to say is that through every step you can see that this faction is just wrong. The nonsense that goes on about certain factions deciding that other factions are corrupt pretty much screams out to me that these five factions don't work, for example the Erudite hating the Abnegation faction. You are all about knowledge but you hate those who are selfless. Raise your hand if this makes no sense to you.

Additionally I have a question about whether this is the only city that is doing this? We know that the city is surrounded by a huge gate but nothing beyond that is really said. I assume this may get touched upon in other books but since I have no intention of reading them I guess I can stay in the dark (thankfully) about if Tris and others ever leave the city.

I honestly don't think that this book really needed to be a trilogy. Once you get to the end of this book so many questions are answered. Frankly one book could have completed the entire arc of this story. I think it's a thing now that all young adult fiction must be a trilogy. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
Read more of my YA book reviews on my blog here.

Summary:

One choice can transform you...

Beatrice Prior has always known the same life and when the chance for a fresh start is given to her, she takes it.

Living in a dystopian Chicago, Beatrice's world is split up into five different factions, dividing them by virtues: the selfless, the brave, the honest, the intelligent and the peaceful. All her life she's lived with her family as an Abnegation (the selfless), and it's never been enough for her. So when the day comes for her to decide which faction she will dedicate the rest of her life to, she makes a rash decision and decides to leave behind her family become one of the brave - the Dauntless.

At her new faction she has the chance to reinvent herself, so she does. At the Dauntless, she becomes Tris, one of the brave. She trains along side other initiates for the chance to become one of them, or she will become factionless. Her training is going through tough physical challanges, as well as undergoing serious psychological simulations, which bring people's worst fears to life.
As Tris fights for her place in the Dauntless world, she must learn who her true friends are, how to fit a certain exasperating yet charming boy into her life, and who she can and can't trust.
But Tris is keeping a secret, one that she has warned can mean death if anyone finds out, and as she finds more about her seemingly perfect life, she realizes that the secret she has been keeping for so long can help the ones she loves - but it can also destroy her.

My thoughts:

I think I must of been living under a rock for the last two years as I never heard the hype about Divergent (how is that possible?). But when I did (like, two weeks ago - can you believe it) I bought it from The Book Depository, and I absolutely loved reading it!

Beatrice (ok, let's refer to her as Tris) is an amazingly strong character, and I rank her up there with my favourite heroins like Rose Hathaway and Katniss Everdeen. I love how she transforms from a scared lonely girl into a badass fearsome woman in front of you in the book. I also like it that she isn't supposed to be very pretty. It does get a bit boring sometimes when the main character supposedly looks like a goddess.

I also like Four (*cough cough*... Tobias...). He's also a strong character, but he has his faults, which I think is important for any good character. I love that he has a fear of heights, and the whole Abnegation thing (not saying any more - just in case there a few of you out there who still haven't read it - which I kind of doubt, but still).

I feel sorry for Christina when she's going to find out about Will... I shipped those two.
*sad face*

I found the romance very interesting. It started about half way through the book, which I liked. So many books are insta-love, which can make it boring by the end of the series, but it was refreshing in Divergent, I loved it.

I really regret not reading this earlier. But then again, it means I don't have to wait painfully for the sequel, I've already ordered it!

Oh, and did you hear (you probably have - I'm so in the dark)? It's becoming a movie! YIPEE!!! Shailene Woodley will be Tris, Theo James - Four, Zoe Kravitz - Christina, and Kate Winslet (yes, THE Kate Winslet) as Jeanine! Who's excited? I certainly am! ( )
  angelgay | Jul 1, 2020 |
I am still trying to decide if I liked this book or not. I did not particularly like the main character, Tris. I think she is self serving and I did not find her very sympathetic. I did like it well enough to want to read the second book in the series.

The book is set in a futuristic Chicago where there are 5 factions. Each faction represents a virtue such as: bravery, honesty, selflessness, peacefulness, and intelligence. When a person turns 16 they must choose a faction in which to commit. Tris commits to The Dauntless (bravery), even though her aptitude test is inconclusive. Her test indicates she is a Divergent and that is a very dangerous thing to be. We are taken through Tris's initiation process and watch as she grows into being a Dauntless. I do have to say that the book was well written though. ( )
  Martha662 | Jun 27, 2020 |

Roth, Veronicaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother, who presented me with the moment when Beatrice perceives her mother's strength and wonders how she had not perceived it before.
There is a single mirror in my house.

AR level 4.8, 16 pts

4 1977
5 2025

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,943,203 books! | Top bar: Always visible