Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent (2011)

by Veronica Roth

Series: Divergent (1)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana, frankiejones, al.vick)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    The Moon Dwellers by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    burners by Bob Mayer (LongDogMom)
    Secondborn by Amy A. Bartol (wordcauldron)
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (Morteana)
    The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken (bell7)

English (1,210)  German (7)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (1,228)
Het orgineel van mijn review kan je vinden op mijn blog:

Wauw, in één ruk uitgelezen, en zal helaas nog even moeten wachten eer ik het volgende deel kan lezen.
Je volgt Tris, het hoofdpersonage uit dit boek tijdens haar reis van een tiener naar een dappere volwassene vrouw. In een vreselijk verscheurde wereld.Het is een dappere, onzelfzuchtige slimme meid!

Ik geloof in de simpele uitingen van moed, in de moed die ervoor zorgt dat mensen voor elkaar opkomen.

Natuurlijk blijf je achter met een hoop vragen, Daarom is het het eerste deel van een waanzinnige serie!

De Onverschrokken bewakers sluiten de poort en doen hem achter hen dicht. Het slot zit aan de buitenkant. Ik bijt op mijn lip. Waarom zouden ze de poort van buitenaf op slot doen? En niet van binnenuit? het lijkt haast alsof ze niet iets buiten willen houden, maar ons binnen.

En nu, .... snel aan deel 2, Opstand beginnen, en wachten op de film !! Welke eind maart uitkomt

LindaKwakernaat | Nov 29, 2018 |
  rabidgummibear | Nov 28, 2018 |
Divergent NEW REVIEW (under my grading system)

Plot: 4.5/5
Honestly, the plot is the STRONGEST part of this book.
The first half of this book is the worst, though. This is the third time I’ve read this book, and I have become a more critical reader since I last read it, and I really didn’t enjoy the first half of this very much. It felt very clique-y, and though there was this mystery and conspiracy building, I honestly didn’t like the first half very much. (I also didn’t like Tris for the first half of this book. I’ll talk about that more in the characters section of this review).
The second half was better. It was like, the accumulation of all the conspiracy. The clique-y stuff was left in the dirt. There were, like, explosions happening left and right and everything was moving very fast and it was all ACTION. Action is good; Veronica Roth can write action; she should stick to action.
**I use the word ‘half’ loosely. It’s more like the first two-thirds to the last third

Characters: 4/5
Tris: I really did not like her in the first half of this book. Partly (probably) because before reading it this time around, I was talking with a friend comparing this to the Hunger Games and my friend said something, and I realized it was true as I read this: Tris is not human. At least not for the first half of this book. And maybe not even that much in the second half. There is a reason I started liking this book a LOT more in the second half. It is…
Four: Or, more accurately, Tobias. I started really liking this book when we started calling Four Tobias. This is because I have a natural, irrational inclination to simply LIKE characters called Tobias better than other characters. (this is holdover from the Animorphs series). I also… once we went through his fear landscape… just… oh, the feels. Those were some well-done feels.
Christina: I actually like Christina a LOT in this book. I have a friend named Christina who is pretty much the exact same as this Christina, personality-wise.
Al: I love Al. I love him. He put me to tears when I first read this book. As a reread, knowing what would happen to him now, pretty much every time his name was said once we started nearing his character’s climax, I sobbed. And then, when it happened, I wept. I don’t often weep. I say I weep a lot, but I actually don’t often weep.
Will: Will is that character who I really like, but I don’t remember that I like him unless I’m actually reading the book.
Peter: Peter was an all right villain, for the clique-y part of the novel.
Eric: Eric was… I don’t know. He seemed somewhat creepy, and I was told by Tris that he was downright sadistic, but I didn’t really see it.
Jeanine: Now, here’s the true villain. The one who oversees the whole evil operation, who we don’t meet until the very end.

The romance: 3/5
I like Tobias. I do. He’s probably my favorite character. But I just, I don’t know what he sees in Tris. And the romance… really seemed to come out of nowhere. And, it was mostly them making out.
While we’re on the subject, I didn’t know what he saw in her when they STARTED their relationship. But at the end, where he was running the simulation and she was fighting him and decided to let him kill her over her killing him… this was where Tris became a character who I like and appreciate. (she became human to me when she did that in her simulation to get into Dauntless)

Overall grade: 11.5/15
That’s somewhere around a high C or a low B. I don’t know, and don’t ask me to know. Despite that relatively low grade, this was still an fun, quick, action-y read and I do recommend that people read it, because I do like it. And I think that the series improved with Insurgent.

Divergent OLD REVIEW

***ALERT. THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SOME SLIGHT SPOILERS***

Awesome story. This book was especially satisfying because it ended a long streak of really stinking good books for me (Wither, Fever, Delirium, Pandemonium, Divergent) Tris is an amazingly strong character, and the world is incredibly complicated and dynamic. The plot consists of petty school-yard type arguments, (She's the best in 'class' and some other ppl don't like that, a boy likes her that she doesn't like back, etc.) and some BIG problems (war,killing, etc.) There are moral quandary's with which she much deal, and also, she must literally FACE her greatest fears, in simulations, then in real life.
Awesome plot and premise, and I absolutely fell in LOVE with the characters. Especially Tobias. While reading this book, it brought back some fond memories of another Tobias from my childhood.
He was a red-tailed hawk, from the Animorphs, which I am now rereading.
But I'm getting off-topic. The point is, this is a REALLY GOOD book.
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
The population of the YA book Divergent set in Chicago’s dystopian world is divided into five subcultures called factions: Abnegation (selflessness), Amity (peacefulness), Candor (honesty), Erudite (intelligence), and Dauntless (braveness). The path of each individual is chosen through a simulation process that is administered at the age of sixteen. Each of the factions serves a purpose in this new world. Unfortunately, there are those who do not have the distinct personalities to fall completely into one of the factions. Those individuals are called Divergent. It is dangerous to be a Divergent because you are different. Beatrice happens to test as Divergent when she undergoes the simulation procedure at sixteen. Being Divergent is a secret that she must hide as she trains for initiation into the Dauntless faction.

The plot is set in a dystopian world and this is currently appealing to young readers. As with any world, there are stirrings of discontentment and unrest. Undoubtedly, there is good and evil in the population of the dystopian world. There are family ties that won't be broken and there is romance. The book has all of the elements to make a good story that appeals to the YA audience.

Usually in a dystopian book, there is no good explanation as to why the world has changed so much. I did not find that to be true with this book. I also found the factions to be so separated and so extreme that I had a difficult time envisioning how that society would function. But even though I have some criticisms of the book's plot, I am hooked on the story and will read the next installment of the trilogy because I want to know how the society is going to change and survive.
  Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |
Still into the Dystopia thing and I enjoy the characteristics of the factions. ( )
  AFaith | Nov 7, 2018 |

Roth, Veronicaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother,
who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how
strong
her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long
There is one mirror in my house.
In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.

AR level 4.8, 16 pts

In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomoly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,691,544 books! | Top bar: Always visible