Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent (2011)

by Veronica Roth

Series: Divergent (1)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    The Moon Dwellers by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken (bell7)
    Legend by Marie Lu (Aleana)
    Skylark by Meagan Spooner (reconditereader)
    reconditereader: The opening of Skylark reminds me of some of the scenes with the Dauntless in Divergent. Both are YA dystopia stories.

English (849)  German (5)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (863)
WARNING: SPOILERS

Okay, so dystopian fiction had never, ever been my forte and had never been something I usually read. In fact, the Divergent trilogy was SO FAR AWAY from the type of books I normally read, that the fact that I found myself reading all three books within the space of three days is absolutely, well, shocking.

And I loved it. Actually, I ADORED it. Set in near future America, where the city of Chicago is used as a social experiment, every sixteen year old has to go through they 'Choosing Ceremony': where they either stay within their birth 'factions' or transfer to a new faction. It goes as follows: Abnegation, the faction of selflessness; Erudite, the faction of, basically, intelligence and knowledge; Amity, the faction of produce and Dauntless, the faction of bravery.

Sixteen year old Beatrice Prior cannot contain any further the idea of moving from her birth faction of Abnegation to the Dauntless faction, where, filled with fast paced adventure, action and romance, it's completely out of her comfort zone and opens her eyes to a whole new world.

And to a whole new species of man. She finds out she is Divergent, a 'special' being, basically, and being Divergent means, consequently, you die if anyone finds out. Intense, right?

Okay, so what I liked about the novels:
1) It's a genre that is deeply difficult to master. Too much, and it's ridiculous and disgustingly unbelievable. Too little and it's ridiculous and humorously unbelievable, but Veronica Roth has managed to get it just right. So much so, that it's perfect.

2) Beatrice Prior. I fucking love her. She went from having to act selfless and put others before herself to arming herself with guns and knives, deceive those who underestimated her and her bravery is just something that I admire wholeheartedly. She's fucking awesome, okay? Like, seriously awesome. She's my heroine, if I ever had one, and if it comes down to asking this very questions, yes, I do admire her.

3) The idea of Factions. WHY HAS NO ONE EVER THOUGHT ABOUT THIS BEFORE?! It's such a perfect, flawless idea that the government would, in fact, put human beings in so-called experiments to manipulate our genes and make a better world that when I first read about the Factions, I thought to myself, "Gee. That actually makes total sense. Why WOULDN'T they do that?"

4) The action. Who doesn't love a bit of faction-on-faction massacre? Well, it turns out, I do. I FREAKING LOVE IT. It's hot, it's fast paced, it's unyielding and most importantly it's exhilarating. It keeps you on your toes, makes you delve right into the middle of a fiery battle between people that used to be friends and people who had always hated each other from the word go. Knives and guns and special serums and I better stop here before I get ahead of myself...

And lastly, 5) SERUMS. Injections designed to make you enter a simulation of all your fears. Injections to wipe or alter your memory. And there are serums for death as well. Each Faction has a designated serum, and each and every time the reader reads about a serum in action, it's just as amazing as the first time it happened.

And what I didn't like so much:

1)Four. Or Tobias. Don't get me wrong, I think I liked him just as much as Beatrice (Tris) in the first book, but by the second book I started to grow a feeling of apprehension towards him, mostly because he went from the hot, dark, broody instructor harbouring feelings for Divergent Tris to self pitying, angry, vengeful... child who didn't want to let go of Tris and let her do what she wanted. But by the end of the third book, he changes back again, which is a shame considering how the story ends.

2) David, from the Government. He's just a pain in the ass, a vengeful bastard with nothing but the will to hurt people in his heart. Basically, he's a dick. He's a fucking dick.

But what I LOVED the most was the ending of the trilogy. Unexpected and heartbreaking, it was exactly the opposite of how all these kinds of novels end. The ending itself made me clutch the book harder, squeeze my eyes shut and think no no no no no. But although painful, it was beautifully perfect.

So all in all, I give this book 5/5 stars, and recommend anyone who is willing to open their hearts and mind to read this book. Well done, Veronica Roth. You made me into the fangirl I never wanted to be. ( )
  Aly_Locatelli | Jan 26, 2015 |
My rating for this book is a little weird since I really enjoyed the book in the the few hours that it took me to read it since I had to read it for a class. However, if I had taken the time that I normally would have taken on a book, I probably would grade it lower. Basically, I went into reading this book telling myself that I was just going to have fun with this book and not analyze it. This, I believe, saved me from not enjoying the book as much as I did. Because of this, I'm going to write a review based on my initial reactions to the book, and then at the end, put down some questions that actually started bothering me once I though about the book in more depth.

I thought that the plot was fast-paced and interesting, and I liked the character of Beatrice/Tris. She has to make a tough decision between staying with her family, or taking the path that she feels is the best fit for her. And I'm glad she made the decision she did or else this book would be rather boring.

Tris decides to head to the Dauntless faction. A faction filled with supposedly brave individuals. However, by the time Tris has gotten there, the Dauntless have mostly become a group of thrill-seeking lunatics. For initiation, Tris is forced to go through a grueling series of tests and training in order to be considered worthy of Dauntless. Throughout these trials, I enjoyed watching Tris find innovative ways to solve issues, often relying on her intellect to get the better of some of the more brutal initiates. However, Tris is not immune to the brutal tendencies that others thrive on. There are times in the book when Tris forgets herself and goes too far. However, these moments made for great character building moments in which Tris examines why she did those things, and comes to the conclusion that she does not want to be the brutal Dauntless that everyone is trying to make her into, but instead be the type of person that the Dauntless used to be. Courageous, but not needlessly violent. Violence is not a sign of bravery, but cowardice.

The world is decently set up. I believe that placing the book in Chicago actually helped to ground the book a little. Otherwise, there wouldn't have been much description of the world. I at times had trouble seeing this world in my mind and was a little confused as to how the train system worked. I also wanted to know if this was just going on only in Chicago, or if this was actually a worldwide government. It almost seemed like the only place on the planet was Chicago which made it hard to picture the large scale affects of what was happening in the book.

I also thought that there is a case to be made for social commentary in the book. One of the plot points of the book is that Tris is Divergent, meaning she doesn't fit a prescribed personality that would fit into one particular faction. This is apparently dangerous in this world and Tris has to work hard to cover up this fact. One could argue that there is commentary here about the state of our own society and how, oftentimes, those who do not fit with the societal idea of 'normal' are shunned from society and sometimes even physically and emotionally harmed. It's a common theme that runs throughout the book that I thought was interesting.

Now for the nagging questions. Some of these may contain spoilers so read at your own risk.

How did the world get this way? The system of government seems so unbelievable and frankly stupid that I don't understand why anyone would think this was a good idea? I also don't think that humans could actually work this way. People are naturally diverse in their beliefs and how they choose to act. Nobody fits into one personality trait unless you are extremely boring. I can't make heads or tails of why this society even exists, or how it exists.

Why do the Dauntless feel the need to jump off of trains? This just seems like senseless risking of their own lives, not bravery.

Where are all the old people in Dauntless? It is mentioned briefly that there are no older people in the Dauntless faction, but what happens to them? Do they all just end up dying from reckless acts or is there something more sinister going on?

Where are all of the female leaders? I know that the main character can be argued to be a strong female lead, but where are all the others? There is like one Dauntless leader that is just mentioned but doesn't play a role, and the other female characters are like back-ups. The only other female leader is evil. I find this troublesome.

If being Divergent is supposed to be so rare, why is it that everybody that matters in this book ends up being Divergent? ( )
4 vote kell1732 | Jan 25, 2015 |
Yikes!
I really wanted to like this because it has clearly connected with so many young people. Not since the Hunger Games craze have I seen students so excited about a book.
However, as an adult, this was a painful experience.
Here is an example of the writing style of this book:
"The bullet hit him in the head. I know because that's where I aimed it."
That said, Ms. Roth is now a multimillionaire and I'm clipping Spaghetti-O coupons - so there you go.
  Scarchin | Jan 24, 2015 |
There are 5 factions dauntless the brave, erudite the intelligent, candor the honest, abnegation the selfless, amity the peaceful. At the age 16 you have a test to see what faction you belong. Tris got the result divergent. Divergent is not allowed because they don’t fit perfectly into society. Tris chose dauntless the day of the choosing ceremony. On the day of the Initiation ceremony Tris was accepted. Then they found out that her and her trainer/ boyfriend four were divergent and tried to kill them. Four and Tris escaped on a train with four’s father, Tris’s brother and father.

Divergent is action packed and thrilling. It is very different from most futuristic books. It pulls people in and you can't stop reading until you are done. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes action books. It is definitely not my favorite book but it is still good. I give this book 4 stars. I can't wait to read the next two. ( )
  haileyb.b1 | Jan 19, 2015 |
This book is about a girl named Tris who is in a faction. Tris was in Abnegation and she is going to take a test on which faction she is going to be in. The day during the test, the instructor said that her test was inconclusive. She means that the test said that is was Erudite, Abnegation, and Dauntless. It was the day after the test where she has to choose which faction to chose. And she chose dauntless. After the test, she met a teenage boy named Four. She has to prove if she is dauntless or not. Tris was the weakest of the rest of them. But, she got stronger. At the end of the book, Tris found out that Erudite overuled dauntless and abnegation. Tris and Four needs to try and stop Erudite by convincing the leader of dauntless by shutting down and wiping the program. The leader didn't listen, so Tris put a serum in the leader's neck and the leader wiped the program. At the very end of the book, Tris, Four, her brother, and Four's dad, got out of the program by riding the dauntless train, and they lived their lives. ( )
  KerynAB1 | Jan 16, 2015 |

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother,
who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how
strong
her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long
There is one mirror in my house.

In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,061,523 books! | Top bar: Always visible