Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent (2011)

by Veronica Roth

Series: Divergent (1)

9,320884320 (4.09)634
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    The Moon Dwellers by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken (bell7)
    Legend by Marie Lu (Aleana)
    Skylark by Meagan Spooner (reconditereader)
    reconditereader: The opening of Skylark reminds me of some of the scenes with the Dauntless in Divergent. Both are YA dystopia stories.

English (868)  German (5)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (882)
Before I heard of this book, I didn't know the word Divergent even existed. Then, I started reading the book, and the protagonist started explaining the factions. I'm pretty sure the author just made up words for the faction titles because fuck, I've never heard of those words either.

I mean, Abnegation isn't a word, is it? Or Erudite? I mean am I just completely illiterate? Well, probably, because I had to look up how to spell illiterate. But still! Every time I was reading about the factions, my brain just went bla bla bla, that's not a word, just skip it.

That being said, it was still an interesting and compelling story. Albeit, a very juvenile way of telling it. I mean the first person protagonist is just a typical moody teenage girl. Seriously, who wants to hear about some stupid teenage girl, from her point of view? Apparently me, because I still finished the goddamn thing.

It really is a good story, even though it's derivative as fuck. I mean, come on... Putting teenagers into factions is not an original idea at all. It's like nearly every goddamn young adult book puts 'em in factions. What's the deal with that? Is it because teens are rebellious, and it's just a tool to create more conflict? Probably.

But, I don't really care. It was still well worth reading. The Dauntless faction that young Tris chose, definitely sounds like fun. I don't know why any teenager would chose any of the other factions, really. Because, the rest of them sound boring as fuck. ( )
  gecizzle | Mar 5, 2015 |
4 ½ Stars ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
First I want to say I fully reccomend this Series! I read Divergent in less than a day and was leaving my house at 8:00 in the evening to get the next book in the series Insurgient. I was hooked. The characters are so easy to fall in love with and some are easy to hate. I wanted to punch Eric and Peter and a few more. I fell in love with Four and Tris. I fell in love with dauntless! I don't want to add in spoilers. I just want to say once you start this series you are in a world that draws you into the characters and a way of of life that leaves you wanting more and more! I Went out tonight to find Allegient which is third in the series. Where I live we don't have any book stores. I will have to wait to order or drive 2 hrs to get it. I will be driving two hours tomorrow to get it. That's how hooked I am. This story takes place in a futuristic Chicago. Which is my home town. The author Veronica Roth keeps you on a roller coaster of emotions as she unfolds a futuristic fiction world of five factions that our characters are brought up in and they must choose where they will remain Abnegation, Amity,Dauntless,Erudite,Candor or Factionless which for most is worse than death. ( )
  Ahopkinsbibliomaniac | Mar 1, 2015 |
It should be a testament to how well written this book is that, with having been unable to read anything new for three months, this is the novel I returned to first. I devoured the words on the page and finished the book in less than 36 hours.

I had actually bought this as a Nook book when Insurgent had first come out, and now I cannot for the life of me figure out why it took me so long to read it. Maybe too many review books to get through, not enough time to read something I wanted to read. But I am so glad that I found my way to it now.

The book is set in a futuristic, dystopian Chicago. Things are different, control and function and order are closely guarded. But there are people not happy with the current balance of power, and they set out to change that.

This novel is full of twists and turns that will keep you guessing and keep you on the edge of your seat, yearning to read the next page and unable to walk away. I found myself with a void after having seen Catching Fire in the movie theater, and this filled that void nicely.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this one. The author has a firm grasp on imagery and characterization and the characters are instantly both believable and relatable. I look forward to reading the rest of the series. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother,
who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how
strong
her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long
There is one mirror in my house.

In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,816,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible