Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Veronica Roth

In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomoly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.… (more)
Member:konallis
Title:Divergent
Authors:Veronica Roth
Info:London, HarperCollins, 2012
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:children's/young adult, science fiction, dystopia/utopia, post-apocalyptic, read 2015

Divergent by Veronica Roth (2011)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana, frankiejones, al.vick)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Insurgente by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (Morteana)
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    The Moon Dwellers by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    burners by Bob Mayer (LongDogMom)
    Secondborn by Amy A. Bartol (wordcauldron)
    Skylark by Meagan Spooner (reconditereader)
    reconditereader: The opening of Skylark reminds me of some of the scenes with the Dauntless in Divergent. Both are YA dystopia stories.

English (1,234)  German (6)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (1,251)
This was a lot of fun. ( )
  slmr4242 | Oct 16, 2019 |
A little simplistic at times but a real page turner and enjoyable. ( )
  brakketh | Oct 11, 2019 |
Was interested after seeing movie. Some of the cookie cutter dystopia set up they all have, but then more into character development. Once again book better than movie situation ( )
  drjmallen | Oct 9, 2019 |
Beatrice Prior is turning sixteen years old and she has to choose what faction she wants to dedicate her life to. There are five factions and each one of them are dedicated to a certain virtue - Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent).

Beatrice, who is commonly called a “stiff” because she originally comes from the Abnegation is tired of feeling the way she feel, she doesn’t particularly hate being Abnegation, but she simply doesn’t fit in… She can’t be selfless, because she is simply too selfish. So, when the time comes for her aptitude test, she is surprised to find out the results. Instead of being suited for merely one faction, she’s got what it takes to suit three! These results are unprecedented, but it makes her Divergent and that isn’t exactly the safest thing to be… Now though, Beatrice has to choose for herself. Does she want to stay with her family or dos she want to move on and do something for herself for a change? The decision she makes surprised even herself…

Divergent is a dystopian novel, which plays off in Chicago. It’s an interesting idea, where this “world” is secluded from the rest to such an extent that these people are self-sufficient and that each one of these five factions have a purpose. Abnegation rules the “government”, Amity grows the food, the Erudite are the folks that develops science and technology, Dauntless are the people who protect and serve and Candor… well, I suppose that Candor can only be the lawyers and judges of tomorrow. Each of these factions have a purpose to make this world run, but there are people who aren’t exactly happy about the way it’s going. That being said, while Beatrice is trying to find her own purpose she has to be very careful, because one slip-up and her Divergent status might just get her killed.

I found this novel captivating, it pulled me into this world and kept me there with its action-packed plot and the hints of romance here and there. Yes, it’s a young adult novel and sure, it’s a story about young people trying to make a difference, but when you read between the lines, you’ll notice that the theories on government are somewhat realistic. Also, get a head start on reading this trilogy, because yes, there will be a film made of it eventually and as far as speculations are going, Shailene Woodley (The Secret Life of an American Teenager) will be starring in it as Beatrice Prior. That being said, it’s a well written story and I particularly enjoyed it, heck I couldn’t put it down!

The connection between Four and Tris is also something fun and I kind of indulged on their growing romance. He’s her instructor, she’s a stubborn “little girl” who always seems to get herself into trouble… they’re two of a kind. Four’s character can’t be explained any differently than him being a broken man. He’s seen too much, lived through too much and frankly, he doesn’t even look eighteen! She’s just starting out, but she can somehow relate on a different level and that is what brings them closer together.

Okay, okay, I know I shouldn’t fall in love with characters, but they are just so adorable. Unfortunately it soon turns to big trouble when a conspiracy becomes a reality and Beatrice needs to make certain choices, which includes not only killing, but seeing those close to her being killed.

I can’t say much more without giving the book away, but you get the idea. Now, click on the cover art of the book and BUY YOUR COPY TODAY! It’s worth it. Personally I was reluctant to buy it, because I just couldn’t imagine a book with “virtues” being an enjoyable read, but then when I got into it, Divergent is really not as goody-two-shoes as it sounds. Veronica Roth did an excellent job.

(review originally posted on www.tentaclebooks.com) ( )
  MoniqueSnyman | Oct 3, 2019 |
You can find this review and others on my blog:

Hi (:

So.. I was really hesitant to read [b:Divergent|13335037|Divergent (Divergent, #1)|Veronica Roth|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328559506s/13335037.jpg|13155899]. I'm not really sure why, but it was probably because everyone was so excited about it and every time I so much as mentioned it this happened:

(Only, less adorable because these were people and not cutelittlekittehwithalldatfurandfuzzandcuteness♥♥♥)

I just wasn't feeling the love so it at all..
But then my friend approached me and politely, yet strangely firmly, asked me:

Told me about how amazing it was..

She also somehow managed to convince me to read it.

Surprising Right?

And..

*Gasp*

She was sooooooooo right!

I adored [b:Divergent|13335037|Divergent (Divergent, #1)|Veronica Roth|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328559506s/13335037.jpg|13155899]!
I understand what all the fuss was/is about now and gee I'm glad I read it!

I loved Four. A lot. I know his name is Tobias, but Four is so much.. Sexier I guess? I don't know why, I just think it is.. You agree right?

(Hope you were thinking the same :L)

Whenever he wasn't in the book I was pretty much going crazy waiting for him.. And spent most of the time looking for him or mentions of him..

And at one point I put the book down and ended up whacking my shoulder against the door frame by accident (As you do when you're as uncoordinated as me..) I ended up crying out for Four. And no, I am not kidding. At all.

Help!

[b:Divergent|13335037|Divergent (Divergent, #1)|Veronica Roth|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328559506s/13335037.jpg|13155899] was filled with suspence and left me reading until the wee hours of the morning all whilst biting my nails like crazy..

It was breathtaking!

Over & Out, T xx ( )
  RichlyWritten | Sep 23, 2019 |

Roth, Veronicaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Para minha mãe, que me presentou com o momento em que Beatrice percebe a força de sua mãe e se pergunta como não a havia percebido antes.
Há um único espelho em minha casa.

In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.

AR level 4.8, 16 pts

5 1933

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,818,426 books! | Top bar: Always visible