Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Veronica Roth

Member:wilpotts
Title:Divergent
Authors:Veronica Roth
Info:New York : Katherine Tegen Books, 2011.
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, 21st century, american, ya, dystopian, chicago, factions, bravery, arc, returned

Divergent by Veronica Roth (2011)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    The Moon Dwellers by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken (bell7)
    Legend by Marie Lu (Aleana)
    Skylark by Meagan Spooner (reconditereader)
    reconditereader: The opening of Skylark reminds me of some of the scenes with the Dauntless in Divergent. Both are YA dystopia stories.

English (906)  German (6)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (921)
This book was pure genious! A fast paced, well written Dystopian novel. I couldn't read it fast enough. I found myself captivated by the strong willed, independent heroine. Those are the heroines I look forward to when I read. This book tells us that we should never comform to anything. We are free to choose. ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |
I had previously read this book when it was first released, and now I wanted to re-read it so I could read Insurgent . I felt the same heart stopping emotions that I felt when reading it for the first time!

I can't help but feeling everything that Tris is feeling in the book. It's amazing how Veronica Roth could create a heroine so relatable as hers.

The story isn't only about a dystopian society, it contains an underlying message that I'm pretty sure Four summed up in one part of the book. There's also so many bold themes here, themes that actually could exist in our "future" society.

I always keep thinking: "In what faction do I belong?" And I've come to the conclusion that I'm equal parts Dauntless and Erudite. A deadly combination (literally! ha!).

I honestly never get tired of this book. 5 stars. ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |
Patchy writing. Some scenes are very well written; some scenes are not. A few of the metaphors were bad enough that I put the book down for a day or two, unable to believe an editor would let them get through. Four is well-drawn, but the other characters not so much. Motivations are told to the reader, not shown. Still, worth reading, if only to get you thinking about your faction. ( )
  DL_Orton | Jun 29, 2015 |
Oh Tris! shes so stubborn but I love her. Shes strong, she doesnt seem to become blinded by love like often times main characters seem to become. Shes independent to her feelings ( )
  valesbookshelf | Jun 23, 2015 |
Another YA dystopian book, with the main plotline being choosing a "career" with one of five factions at age 16. Each of the factions has a specific job within their society. Beatrice Prior is the main character, and we follow her from just before her choosing until the end of her training. There is, of course, a love interest involved for Beatrice, calling herself "Tris" when training started. I did enjoy the book, having bought it for my grand daughter, and read it mainly to prepare for the movie version. I would have liked to know what event (or events) caused the fence to be built around Chicago and the population to be divided into five factions. Perhaps it will be covered in one of the other books in the series. ( )
  NPJacobsen | Jun 19, 2015 |

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother,
who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how
strong
her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long
There is one mirror in my house.

In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,919,666 books! | Top bar: Always visible