Divergent by Veronica Roth

7,002None514 (4.15)532
Member:wilpotts
Title:Divergent
Authors:Veronica Roth
Info:New York : Katherine Tegen Books, 2011.
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, 21st century, american, ya, dystopian, chicago, factions, bravery, arc, returned

Divergent by Veronica Roth

2011 (63) 2012 (68) 2013 (92) action (47) adventure (76) Chicago (151) coming of age (40) courage (44) Divergent (50) dystopia (533) dystopian (301) ebook (79) factions (49) family (74) fantasy (113) fiction (329) identity (61) Kindle (52) read (69) read in 2011 (41) read in 2012 (48) read in 2013 (40) romance (123) science fiction (389) series (134) teen (94) to-read (217) YA (317) young adult (433) young adult fiction (59)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Legend by Marie Lu (Aleana)
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    The Moon Dwellers: The Dwellers Saga (Volume 1) by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Skylark by Meagan Spooner (reconditereader)
    reconditereader: The opening of Skylark reminds me of some of the scenes with the Dauntless in Divergent. Both are YA dystopia stories.

English (709)  German (4)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (719)
Before I begin this review, there’s some necessary exposition to endure. The book is narrated in the first person by our main character Beatrice Prior, a small, unintimidating girl from the “Abnegation” faction. Now, of course, I can’t tell you about this book without describing the division of the factions. Divergent is set in a Dystopian Chicago (and throughout the book, I never personally picked up on the fact that she was in Chicago because I don’t believe it’s directly stated anywhere that the city Divergent takes place in is Chicago, so much as a few really big hints like “the windy city” might be thrown in there once or twice) divided into categories of people known as “factions”. What divides the factions are what they value. For example, our main character, Beatrice, is from the Abnegation faction, which values selflessness above all things. The factions are taken very seriously, and affect every aspect of a person’s life; including their clothing, lifestyle, and ideals.

Our plot revolves around Beatrice sort of “coming-of-age”. In this society, once a person turns 16, they are supposed to participate in the “choosing ceremony” where, if so desired, the can switch factions. Before this happens, however, Beatrice endures a test that is supposed to tell her which faction she belongs to which results inconclusively, and providing the book with its namesake, since those who receive this kind of result are called “Divergent”. Not that many people would know, however, being as people who are divergent are told essentially to run for their lives. Not literally run, of course, but the point is that divergence is dangerous and is something you should never share with anyone….ever.

This concept is interesting, and it certainly does get you thinking. Personally, I can’t see how divergence isn’t a wide-spread phenomena already, and I love twiddling with the idea that maybe everybody in this world is divergent but simply no one knows it because they’ve seen it as dangerous for so long. What you really should read this book for, however, is the action.

Although Divergent seems like a huge brick of a book at first glance (especially in comparison to other YA novels), the book itself is so fast paced and focused much more on the things Beatrice is doing rather than her reactions to them, that it feels more like watching an action movie than reading a novel. Quite frankly, I’m not surprised that it’s getting its own film adaptation. This is the one thing I will give this book fault for; although it is an extremely enjoyable, exciting read that will genuinely catch your interest in the entire series, it could have just as easily been a script and produced that same feeling.

Overall, I’d give it 4 stars.

P.S Another thing that I’m sure everyone is thinking about; “It sounds a lot like the Hunger Games”. Quite frankly I don’t blame them, but I’d like to point that it also very much so resembles “The Giver”, which is actually also being adapted into a film. All I hope for the film is that it focuses more on the brutality of the world Beatrice lives in and her life experience and not the romantic bits of the novel. ( )
  ChaChatheSkimasaur | Apr 18, 2014 |
I am not afraid to admit that I absolutely had the wrong idea about Divergent. I'm pretty sure I didn't know what it was about. I originally thought it was going to be some sappy love story with some moderate action thrown in between a la The Hunger Games trilogy. I am so glad that I was so wrong.

Divergent is set in a dystopian society split into five factions: Abnegation, Amity, Candor, Erudite, and Dauntless. Now the actual definitions of these great S.A.T. words are essentially how everyone accordingly acts. Therefore, Abnegation are selfless, Amity are peaceful, Candor are honest, Erudite are knowledgeable, and Dauntless are brave. Each faction controls different parts of the society.

When a child reaches 16, they have to take a test which is a simulation. How they react to their simulated surroundings determines which faction they should be in. Now in the Choosing Ceremony, they can choose either to stay in their current faction or go to a different one.

The protagonist is Beatrice Prior from Abnegation. She's already having doubts about staying in her faction because she doesn't believe she's selfless enough. During her test, her results came up inconclusive. She had equal aptitude for either Erudite, Abnegation, or Dauntless. Beatrice is known as "Divergent." It's a very dangerous thing to be. At the Choosing Ceremony, Beatrice chooses Dauntless.

It is a rude awakening dealing with the Dauntless initiations and their way of life, however, Beatrice feels alive for the first time. She's getting physically and mentally stronger, has adopted a new name, made real friends, and might have a special love interest.

Not all is what it seems and one of the factions is trying to start a very bloody revolution and like or not, Beatrice might find herself caught in the middle...

I really enjoyed Divergent because it really surprised me. I didn't think it was going to as intricate as it was. I love how if any of the characters failed they're initiations they would be known as "factionless", basically homeless, and shunned. The whole process reminded me of the Amish community and the rumspringa. I love the whole aspect of facing fears and the debate of free will. Also, the bloody revolution. My only complaint was that the love story got really saccharine at times but that's just me.

Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |
Beh, perlomeno non c'erano triangoli amorosi, in questo romanzo. ( )
  Manua | Apr 10, 2014 |

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother,
who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how
strong
her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long
There is one mirror in my house.

In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible