Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Veronica Roth

Member:wilpotts
Title:Divergent
Authors:Veronica Roth
Info:New York : Katherine Tegen Books, 2011.
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, 21st century, american, ya, dystopian, chicago, factions, bravery, arc, returned

Divergent by Veronica Roth (2011)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana, frankiejones)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (Morteana)
    The Moon Dwellers by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    Anthem by Ayn Rand (shesinplainview)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (shesinplainview)
    burners by Bob Mayer (LongDogMom)

English (1,103)  German (5)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (3)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All (1,119)
Voy a dejar de lado la discusión sobre si el mundo que nos presenta Divergent es susceptible de suceder, o siquiera posible. En esos libros de sociedades distópicas mi regla es comprarme el mundo que me plantean y partir de ahí. Así que por muy poco creíble he me parezca que hayan 5 facciones en que se divide a la gente basada en UNA característica de personalidad, ese es el mundo que nos presenta la autora y listo.

También hubo un par de cosas que no me calzaron mucho con lo que te habían relatado con anterioridad, y descripciones de escenas que me parecían incompletas, pero nada que fuera tan terrible que me impidiera leer o que me enojara.

Sin perjuicio de todo eso, le doy 5 estrellas a este libro porque nunca me aburrió, me tuvo interesada desde el principio, los personajes eran entretenidos, había muchísima acción, hay un cabrito en particular que me sacó más de un suspiro y la protagonista era una mina inteligente, que aunque uno no siempre estuviera de acuerdo con sus decisiones, siempre era dueña de las cosas que pasaban, nunca es un personaje pasivo, tomaba decisiones, se arriesgaba, y "movía" el libro. El final me tenía sacándome el pelo del puro nerviosismo y pucha que es rico cuando un libro te hace eso. ( )
  Danyspike | Jan 13, 2017 |
amazing i have to read the next one ( )
  jordanakaforever | Jan 13, 2017 |
Divergent is a good book if you like something like the hunger games. Its about Tris(main character) becoming a Dauntless and trying to survive the training while also hiding the fact that shes divergent. Tris meets Four and he finds out shes divergent, four helps her keep the fact that she is divergent and they end up falling in love. I recommend this book for people who love some good action and romance ( )
  TiffanyKhuu | Jan 6, 2017 |
Divergent is a story that takes place in the future in Chicago. It is a society grouped in five factions. Children are raised in their parents factions but when their old enough they pick their own faction. Beatrice Prior is a member of Abnegation. She takes the aptitude test and is suitable for three factions. Abnegation,Erudite, and Dauntless. This is called Divergence and is very rare. It can be very dangerous if someone found out. She decides to switch factions and go into Dauntless. Beatrice makes many friends easily but also a few enemies. Beatrice starts to form a crush on Four a dauntless leader. Beatrice has many opticals to overcome.

This book is amazingly good. I strongly recommend it. It was romantic but mostly adventurous. ( )
  lucyd.bg3 | Jan 2, 2017 |
The Movie was Better!

Divergent, a book review

I picked up Divergent on the recommendation of a friend of mine. I had already seen the DVD of the story of the same name so I thought I’d give it a try. Actually, the movie was better!

Story & Plot:

Basic themes of family, groups, betrayal and self-sacrifice pepper the story. Unfortunately you have to also put up with the main character’s whiny self-deprecating, clueless dialogue throughout much of the story.

But I Digress:

A city in the Midwest, Chicago perhaps, is a remnant of its former self. To survive, a large wall was built around the city and a civilization was built based on four merits that cancel each other out. They’re divided into factions: Dauntless, Abnegation, Candor and Erudite. The words speak for themselves.

Beatrice belongs to the selfless group Abnegation and wants to be free of restrictions and go with Dauntless, which seems to be having all the fun. Airhead that she seems to be, she chooses Dauntless rather than the family group Abnegation, thus upsetting her parents and her brother (who also abdicates Abnegation and goes with the smart guys, Erudite.).

Faction before Family is a slogan that is also strewn about the novel and as in the movie is cause of tension between the factions.

Beatrice (Tris) is just a clueless 16 year old in this book. She falls for one of the leaders, “Four.” Yep, that’s his name and don’t give him a hard time about it, darn you!

He falls for her too, but when they see each other in the Dauntless cafeteria, he ignores her. She gets all introverted and wonders why he did that and then comes up with a wrong conclusion.

She does this a lot. Makes a bad call and acts on it.

This character is more frustrating than Bell on “Twilight”! (Actually, I take that back: No one is as bad as Bell on Twilight!).

Movie & Book

The movie is better. In the movie, Tris is naive but not clueless. We get to the end with her in conflict with the bad girl who wants to raise an army of Dauntless mind-controlled zombies. Tris handles it. The end, with a door open for the next film.

In the book, Tris does NOT handle it, but runs away on a train. Oh boy.

I’m leaving a lot out. The point is, you won’t be missing much by skipping the novel and watch the films. Way more entertaining.

And you don’t have to put up with the clueless conclusions of one dizzy Dauntless dame!

James_Mourgos | Dec 22, 2016 |
“Divergent” holds its own in the genre, with brisk pacing, lavish flights of imagination and writing that occasionally startles with fine detail.

Cliques writ large take over in the first of a projected dystopian trilogy.
added by wifilibrarian | editKirkus Reviews (May 3, 2011)

Roth, Veronicaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother,
who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how
strong
her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long
There is one mirror in my house.

In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,625,115 books! | Top bar: Always visible