Divergent (Divergent Trilogy) by Veronica…

Divergent (Divergent Trilogy) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Veronica Roth

Member:kmartin802
Title:Divergent (Divergent Trilogy)
Authors:Veronica Roth
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2011), Hardcover, 496 pages
Tags:YA, Dystopia

Divergent by Veronica Roth (2011)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    Legend by Marie Lu (Aleana)
    The Moon Dwellers: The Dwellers Saga (Volume 1) by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken (bell7)
    Skylark by Meagan Spooner (reconditereader)
    reconditereader: The opening of Skylark reminds me of some of the scenes with the Dauntless in Divergent. Both are YA dystopia stories.

English (803)  German (5)  Spanish (4)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (818)
This was far, far better than I was expecting and nearly as good as I had hoped. As long as the series stays away from the dreaded love triangle, I shall count it among my favorites. The main character has real flaws (and not simply "I'm not pretty!" while the rest of the characters insist otherwise) and has real struggles. I enjoyed that the scope of how disturbed the world had become wasn't simply thrown in in a lump, nor left in the dark for the entire first book like some certain other dystopian YA novels I've read recently.

I'd say my only bone to pick is that I always, always find self-description to be cringeworthy although it's almost completely unavoidable in first-person novels, so I let it slide. ( )
1 vote strongasanoak | Sep 25, 2014 |
Barring the first couple of pages I read this from start to finish in one session. It was that compelling. There were a few short pauses when I was worried about slushy romantic moments but I needn't have worried.

The heroine was strong, brave and despite what she first thought, selfless. She is by no means perfect, she grows and struggles with her nature and identity throughout as she learns to face both her own and other people's fears.

Ultimately this book can be summed up by the following quote by Tris's mother:

"Human beings as a whole cannot be good for long before the bad creeps back in and poisons us."

This is a truth that is expertly portrayed by the author. We're a flawed race. We will always want something more. Greed, jealousy, ambition, power -we always want what we don't have, or as Tris muses at one point, those in power and value it above all else will, in order to keep it, hand power to those that don't want it, to protect their own positions and aspirations.

Great book. I highly recommend it.

P.S. I'm an Erudite but not a power-hungry one so don't panic. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
Faction before blood. That's how the saying goes. On the appointed day of every year all sixteen year olds must choose what faction they will belong to. For Beatrice Prior the choice is between staying with her family or following her heart - she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

I'm not really sure this book needs much introduction. As far as teen dystopian fantasy goes, I found Divergent highly entertaining. I enjoyed following Tris through her initiation into Dauntless. There's plenty of action and a touch of romance. We're given just enough hints to wonder how Chicago ended up walled off from the rest of the world and what exactly happened outside the city that the leaders want to keep everything else out. Or is that keep their citizens in? Hmm.

This one I did see the movie before reading the book. I think they did a great job translating it to the screen. I'm glad I read it as I quite enjoyed it. This series I will continue, hopefully the books before the rest of the movies release. ( )
  Narilka | Sep 22, 2014 |
Within the first few pages i was hooked. Reading about taking aptitude test determining weather you are Selfless, Brave, Intellegent, or Honest. Made it feel like you were right there with them. ( )
  JadeR.G1 | Sep 22, 2014 |
3.5 Stars

I was a liitle hesitant to read this book as the story line seemed to have quite a bit in common with the Hunger Games (which in of itself was not necessarily a bad thing). I decided to give it a try and I was pleasantly surpised that it ws a fun read with a quite a few original and interesting plot lines. It did resonate a little with the Hunger Games but not enough to make it seem like the same story. It had interesting characters and the action scences were well written. Where it fell off from a higher rating (at least in my opinion) was an abrupt (amd somewhat confusing) ending to the the first part of this trilogy which I was disappointed in. I know the author has more story to tell but I always appreciate and ending that wraps up at least some plot points and I did not feel it here. I am looking forward to additional answers in the next two books. ( )
  ConalO | Sep 21, 2014 |

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother,
who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how
strong
her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long
There is one mirror in my house.

In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,983,005 books! | Top bar: Always visible