Divergent (Divergent Trilogy) by Veronica…

Divergent (Divergent Trilogy) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Veronica Roth

Member:kmartin802
Title:Divergent (Divergent Trilogy)
Authors:Veronica Roth
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2011), Hardcover, 496 pages
Tags:YA, Dystopia

Divergent by Veronica Roth (2011)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana, frankiejones)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    The Moon Dwellers by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    burners by Bob Mayer (LongDogMom)
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (Morteana)
    Skylark by Meagan Spooner (reconditereader)
    reconditereader: The opening of Skylark reminds me of some of the scenes with the Dauntless in Divergent. Both are YA dystopia stories.
    Legend by Marie Lu (Aleana)

English (1,084)  German (5)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (3)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (1,100)
4 stars

Very entertaining! ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
Originally reviewed at garethlewry.wordpress.com

I have never read any “Teen” fiction before, and I have never read a book before I watch the film, so this was two firsts for me
The book is mostly from Beatrice’s point of view. The world is a dystopian brutal landscape for extremes designed to make humanity work together cohesively. The majority of the book is a coming of age finding yourself title, where Beatrice has to choose which of the 5 factions she will join and it will determine her path for the rest of her life. Each of the factions is dedicated to pursuing a particular virtue, each of the virtues lends itself to particular jobs in society. The choice is either Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless) Amity (peaceful), Erudite (intelligence – knowledge) or Dauntless (the brave)

When children become 16 they take a test that shows them which of the factions they are most suited to, the majority of the time the faction they grew up in is the faction they stay with because parents obviously instil their values to their children. Changing of factions is seen as quite taboo, and there are always questions and judging if a child leaves their parents faction.

The story covers Beatrice’s test and decisions she makes around her future, the consequences of these decisions & her facing her deepest fears. It’s also about discovery, and a truth not only about her but society which could have dire consequences for the future.

The setting comes across as a prejudicial, segregated landscape, where humans are herded and expected to follow a certain sometimes brutal path all for the greater good and peace in society. However, as always with human nature it isn’t long before there is infighting and accusations about other factions being thrown around.

All in all I thought this was a great read, it was engaging throughout and the world is realised in incredible detail and was over way too soon for my liking. I was paced to perfection and characters had a depth I didn’t expect to see in a “teen” novel. As people have told me in the past, books are always better than the films. I will have to discover that one for myself & will definitely be reading the fallowing instalments very soon.
  grlewry | Sep 22, 2016 |
I was not sure what to expect.... some folks said they loved the book, others said not so much. As for me.... well, I LOVED it.... The book was well written and easy to read. The physiological tug-of-war that the characters face in this book is intriguing and at time cruel - but throughout the book, all of the characters still maintained humanist traits of love and friendship, fear and anger, cowardice and sadness. I definitely would recommend this book to anyone who loved the Hunger Games and who likes to read about dystopian societies. ( )
  Bubamdk | Sep 9, 2016 |
I enjoyed the book. I like that this dystopian book is all based on personality. Each faction has specific personality traits and there is only one faction that you are perfectly matched for, unless you're divergent. You Abnegation who are completely selfless, Amity who are peaceful and have no conflict, Candor who are completely honest and will always tell the truth, Erudite who are the ones who love to learn, and Dauntless who are brave, they protect the city.
This book is a little slow paced and if I didn't know what the second book was about, I probably wouldn't read the other two.
I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to read a dystopian book, most of the characters are likable and the 'bad people' I like a lot because they have interesting personalities. The only thing I wish is that the author gave the 'bad guys' some good qualities. Veronica Roth made them the typical bad people, where you just know right away they are the villains and are completely evil.
I made the mistake of seeing the movie when it came out, I never planned on reading the Divergent series so I say no harm in watching the movie. I never liked the way Tris was portrayed in the movies which made it difficult for me to like her in the books because all I could think about was movie Tris. All the other characters I was able to enjoy expect for her.
Overall though, I enjoyed the story line and am looking forward to see where this story goes and how it ends. This book is worth the read and deserves to be given a chance. I completely understand why people love this series. ( )
  haileymary | Sep 9, 2016 |
4.5 ( )
  Amanda105 | Sep 5, 2016 |
“Divergent” holds its own in the genre, with brisk pacing, lavish flights of imagination and writing that occasionally startles with fine detail.

Cliques writ large take over in the first of a projected dystopian trilogy.
added by wifilibrarian | editKirkus Reviews (May 3, 2011)

Roth, Veronicaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother,
who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how
strong
her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long
There is one mirror in my house.

In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,238,246 books! | Top bar: Always visible