Divergent (Divergent Trilogy) by Veronica…

Divergent (Divergent Trilogy) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Veronica Roth

Member:kmartin802
Title:Divergent (Divergent Trilogy)
Authors:Veronica Roth
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2011), Hardcover, 496 pages
Tags:YA, Dystopia

Divergent by Veronica Roth (2011)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies (Uglies Trilogy, Book 1) by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    The Moon Dwellers by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken (bell7)
    Legend by Marie Lu (Aleana)
    Skylark by Meagan Spooner (reconditereader)
    reconditereader: The opening of Skylark reminds me of some of the scenes with the Dauntless in Divergent. Both are YA dystopia stories.

English (922)  German (5)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (936)
So I raced through this book. The first few chapters are a little slow but man does the pace pick up. It sort of whips you up into the story and doesn't put you down until it's over and even then you're looking to turn the page and keep reading. I found it really enjoyable. ( )
  AdorablyBookish | Aug 29, 2015 |
Why did it take me so long to get around to reading this book? Since finishing it this morning, I went straight to Book Depository to buy Allegiant (I already have Insurgent) then when I was picking my mum up from work I bought the film.

Anyway, to my review... Divergent is a dystopian novel therefore it's quite similar but, at the same time, completely different to the likes of The Hunger Games and The Selection. I mean if you enjoy those it's safe to say you WILL enjoy Divergent. I did!

The setting and world building of Divergent is on point. I loved it and couldn't find a fault in it. The way in which the society is divided into factions is just so unique and so well thought out. There is a small insight into why society has adopted this lifestyle, but I hope to learn more when I get around to reading Insurgent. I suppose it's hard to write a "different" dystopian novel these days with the sheer number around at the moment but Veronica Roth does it so well and I am in complete awe of her.

And of course, like any good dystopian, the setting and world building ties in perfectly with the plot and the characters. Divergent has a very unpredictable plot and I never knew what to expect next. This meant Divergent was an extremely thrilling read and I struggled to put the book down. And then the ending... oh my God! Be prepared!

Divergent is told from the first-person perspective of Tris, the main protagonist. This gives an excellent insight into how Tris feels both before her faction choice and after when she is an Initiate of Daunting. It really highlights Tris' struggles with discovering who she is and wanting to feel like she belongs somewhere. I really liked Tris. She isn't your typical kick-ass protagonist though she does have her moments. Her Abnegation upbringing has made her quite quiet and "proper" at least compared to the other Initiates. She isn't used to wearing her heart on her sleeve and struggles with the different social interactions she witnesses, particularly PDA. It's quite hard for her to shake off her upbringing making her somewhat of an outcast, but she really does try.

I want Four in my life! Where can I find him? He is just... ugh, no words. At first he seems like such a "bad boy" Daunting boy with his tough attitude, probably to make an impression on the Initiates and keep them in line. But as Tris spends more time with Four, we see a softer side to him that is really rather cute. His development is one of the best I've read. It's just so gradual and woven into the story so nicely that you barely notice. He seems like a totally different person by the end, but at the same time still the same Four we first met. I think he is just as unsure of himself as Tris is of herself. I love the slow growth of his relationship between Tris. They actually get to know one another before they even contemplate the idea of a relationship and it's really refreshing to read.

I really enjoyed Divergent and I really can't believe it took me so long to read it. It's definitely a book I would recommend to all dystopian fans young and old. I will definitely be carrying on with the series - hopefully reading Insurgent next week

This review (and other) can be found at myexpandingbookshelf.blogspot.co.uk ( )
  MyExpandingBookshelf | Aug 17, 2015 |
Deze recensie is als eerste geplaatst op Carpe LibraEen paar dagen geleden heb ik de film gekeken. Wat was die verrassend genoeg goed! Dat smaakte naar meer! Meteen kwam bij mij de vraag naar boven of het boek net zo goed zou zijn of zelfs nog beter? Want hoeveel films kun je opnoemen waar de film beter is dan het boek? Ik tot nu toe geen! Superenthousiast begon ik dus met Inwijding te lezen...
Om meteen erachter te komen dat het boek... anders was. Anders dan ik me had voorgesteld. Hierdoor was ik even van mijn apropos en duurde het een tijdje voordat het verhaal me wist te vangen. Voordat ik een compleet beeld in mijn hoofd had kunnen opbouwen van de wereld zoals Veronica Roth hem beschrijft. Voordat het boek me begon te interesseren. Toen die klik er echter was, ging het opeens supervlot en verslond ik bladzijde na bladzijde. Wat een heerlijk verhaal!
Tris is niet het gangbare personage dat je tegenwoordig in YA boeken tegen komt. Nee, zij heeft balls. Ze durft, ze slaat van zich af en is niet bang om haar tanden ergens in te zetten. Ze maakt fouten en leert met de gevolgen ervan om te gaan. Ze voelde echt, geloofwaardig, aan. Veronica Roth heeft de emoties en redenaties van Tris echt super goed beschreven! Geen wonder dat de boeken door honderdduizenden worden verslonden :)
Het verhaal is ook heel spannend en zelfs ik, die de film van tevoren al gezien had, zat op het puntje van mijn stoel. Inwijding laat je ook nadenken over de zogenaamde "hokjes"-mentaliteit, zoals mijn moeder dat altijd noemt. Ieder mens is uniek en zou zo ook beoordeeld moeten worden. Dat wordt wel duidelijk in dit boek. Het boek is trouwens ook vanwege sommige oh zo super romantische scenes *zwijmelt weer even helemaal weg* een genot om te lezen. Tris en Four zijn samen een zeer goede combinatie :D

Conclusie
Inwijding is een boek dat even goed is als de film. Een boek dat je gemakkelijk in 5 uur non stop lezen kan verslinden. Met een pakkend verhaal en heerlijke zwijmel scenes. Dat je laat nadenken over hokjes waar mensen in worden gestopt en of dat nu wel zo goed is. Een boek voor iedere dystopiafan en mensen die een goed boek kunnen waarderen ;) ( )
  CarpeLibra | Aug 16, 2015 |
I found Divergent to be entertaining but not well written. There were no sentences that made me stop & say "Wow, what a beautifully crafted sentence." Nor were there any sentences that made me stop & think. I usually find at least one or two sentences in a book that are beautiful and/or really makes me think about something I'd never really thought about before.

And...of course...the entire time I was reading it I kept thinking "This is just not as good as The Hunger Games. I wish this was as good as The Hunger Games. I'm so sad The Hunger Games trilogy ended. I wonder if the author could be convinced...or blackmailed into writing a 4th book."

Anyways...back to Divergent. It wasn't horrible. It just wasn't great. It was ok, thus the 2 star rating. ( )
1 vote PiperUp | Aug 14, 2015 |
It has been a very long time since I've been as captivated by a book as I've been by Divergent. Even The Hunger Games, which of course I loved, didn't have me obsessing about it all day long, aching for odd times during the day where I could sneak off and read a few pages, surprised and actually hurt when I got to the last page. This book is phenomenal, and such a pleasure to read. The characters are relatable, likable, hatable, totally unreadable or totally predictable where and when they need to be. Chicagoans will enjoy reading about their scenery in Roth's imagined dystopian world, where Lake Michigan is a marsh, and the city's landmarks have fallen to ruins. The book centers around the concept of a society that comes to the conclusion that it is not political or national or religious differences that divide people and create evil and war, but differences in personality, and values. So society is divided into the values that people believe to be the most important in preserving peace: those who believe selflessness is most important form Abnegation, honesty form Candor, kindness form Amity, intelligence form Erudite, and courage form Dauntless. You're born into the faction of your parents, and then when you turn sixteen you choose which faction you wish to join. But the main character, Tris, turns out to be Divergent, a dangerous trait because she seems to fit into multiple factions and can't be controlled by just one. Soon, as you can imagine, the perfect society doesn't seem so perfect. Book one of the trilogy leaves you itching for book two, but don't worry, it's already on shelves. This is the most fun reading experience I've had in a very long time. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! ( )
  maggiemay12 | Aug 12, 2015 |

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother,
who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how
strong
her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long
There is one mirror in my house.

In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,070,435 books! | Top bar: Always visible