Divergent (Divergent Trilogy) by Veronica…

Divergent (Divergent Trilogy) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Veronica Roth

Member:kmartin802
Title:Divergent (Divergent Trilogy)
Authors:Veronica Roth
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2011), Hardcover, 496 pages
Tags:YA, Dystopia

Divergent by Veronica Roth (2011)

Recently added byDBReads, private library, DebNguyen, AlyPap, MABoone, GlitterFemme, eliza_jane, tsaleim
2011 (66) 2012 (70) 2013 (96) action (52) adventure (89) Chicago (166) coming of age (49) courage (53) Divergent (64) dystopia (604) dystopian (350) ebook (94) factions (58) family (92) fantasy (137) fiction (395) identity (69) Kindle (71) post-apocalyptic (53) read (87) read in 2012 (49) read in 2013 (48) romance (146) science fiction (463) series (148) teen (114) to-read (265) YA (356) young adult (504) young adult fiction (69)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Legend by Marie Lu (Aleana)
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken (bell7)
    The Moon Dwellers: The Dwellers Saga (Volume 1) by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    Skylark by Meagan Spooner (reconditereader)
    reconditereader: The opening of Skylark reminds me of some of the scenes with the Dauntless in Divergent. Both are YA dystopia stories.

English (759)  German (5)  Spanish (4)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (772)
It was good. Not Hunger Games good, but not far off. Her character develop was well-done, but the romance angle starts to wear thin (I probably wouldn't feel that way if I were the intended audience - aka 14-20 yrs old). Still, once I was hooked, I was hooked. Quick read. Lots of fun. ( )
  reginacorley | Jul 8, 2014 |
This was a fun read of a dystopian society. Set in Chicago, but not the Chicago you know now, there are 5 distinct factions who interact in a semi agreeable way. This book and series have been compared to the Hunger Games trilogy as it's centered around young people coming of age and taking their place in an adult society. In Hunger Games you didn't want to be singled out and become a Tribute. In the book Divergent the 16 year olds make choices about which faction they want to live and which philosophies suit them.

The five factions are Abnegation, for the selfless; Amity, for the peaceful; Candor, for the honest; Dauntless, for the brave; and Erudite, for the intelligent.

SPOILER:

Tris (Beatrice) is the main female character in the book. She and her brother Caleb are born and reared in the Abnegation faction. Neither of them select their home faction during the Choosing Ceremony which causes resentment and disappointment for the adults and leaders in their faction. All the 16 year olds in every faction choose where they want to spend their life during this ceremony. Tris chooses Dauntless and Caleb selects Erudite.

Immediately after the ceremony the new "recruits" move away to their respective factions. They must now perform tasks and training in their new factions, proving they are worthy of staying and jousting for certain positions within the society. If you fail, you are Factionless which means a life of homelessness and hunger.

I liked the book and can see how the author set us up for a follow up, you WANT to know what will happen to all the societies and if they can live harmoniously. You see some important characters killed in book one and you want to see justice for them in the following books.

Kept my interest all the way through. It's not Jane Austen, it's a fun and quick read about a dystopian society. A+ from me! ( )
  SquirrelHead | Jul 8, 2014 |
This book has a lot of great action. When I was reading it, I just couldn't put it down. and I loved all of the plot twists. 5Q5P The cover art is awesome and I'd recommend this book for middle school and high school students as well as adults. I chose to read this book because my little brother was reading it and I thought I'd give it a go myself. EzekielB
  edspicer | Jul 5, 2014 |
Dystopia with a capital D.

Books like these make me wish I was in a book club. I read this novel in twenty-four hours, and when we’re talking 500 pages, that says something. From the first page the reader is immersed in the life of Beatrice Prior, a sixteen-year-old on the cusp of making a life-defining decision. In Beatrice’s world every person belongs to one of five factions: Dauntless, Candor, Amity, Erudite, or Abnegation. Each of the factions has a prized trait that they seek to cultivate above all others, and factions come before blood. Beatrice and her brother are tested along with the rest of of their peers for aptitude and must publicly decide which faction to commit their lives to (each has its own community in the ruins of Chicago). A poor choice, a mistake, means becoming one of the destitute factionless. Our heroine is torn between the faction she’s always known and the one that calls to her, but changing teams may mean losing her family forever.

My summarizing will stop here because I don’t want to spoil even one choice or discovery. This novel is so tightly plotted that it sweeps the reader along without a single good place to take a break. The stakes are high from the start for Beatrice, who reinvents herself as Tris during initiation to her chosen faction, and they get higher. Tris is a complex character with a consistent core, and she remains true to herself as she makes new friends and enemies (and falls in love for the first time). The world of Divergent is richly detailed, and learning more about Tris’ faction only made me more curious about the others. Tris gradually realizes that the friction between the factions is something more than the usual grumblings, and her individual struggle goes global in the action-packed ending of the novel.

Tris is an incredible heroine. She is brave and smart and protective of others, not particularly self-aware (which makes sense considering that she was raised in the selfless faction, Abnegation). She navigates her initiation through sheer force of will, failing miserably and standing out by turns. The reader can cheer for her and be frustrated by her at the same time. She grows into a new person over the course of the novel in ways both horrifying and impressive.

The novel is brutally violent at times, but it is never gratuitous or gory. All of the characters are three dimensional, even the “bad guys” are intriguing enough to arouse curiosity. There is a lot to dig into when it comes to the world of Divergent. Should government positions only be filled by the selfless (and just because someone identifies as selfless, does that mean they actually are?). Do the pet causes of the selfless actually address the needs of a whole society? Can a group of people all work toward cultivating a single trait without becoming corrupted by that pursuit? I suspect picking your faction will become the new sorting-hat-style craze (the author even provides a helpful quiz to that end in the novel’s extras).

Speaking of the extras, they are fantastic. There are the usual discussion questions along with an interview with Veronica Roth, the aforementioned quiz, manifestos from each faction, and an excerpt of Insurgent (the next novel in the series). A novel which I just so happened to purchase today.

I told my Facebook friends that Divergent was better than The Hunger Games, and it is. Not a million times better; but the writing is tighter, the story fuller, the foreshadowing never heavy-handed, and the characters run deeper. I cannot recommend it more highly than that. ( )
  ArmchairAuthor | Jul 3, 2014 |
It was entertaining is a fun read but I believe it is a popcorn read there isn't a great deal of depth in it. ( )
  Rembacz | Jul 2, 2014 |

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother,
who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how
strong
her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long
There is one mirror in my house.

In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,244,801 books! | Top bar: Always visible