Divergent (Divergent Trilogy) by Veronica…

Divergent (Divergent Trilogy) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Veronica Roth

Member:kmartin802
Title:Divergent (Divergent Trilogy)
Authors:Veronica Roth
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2011), Hardcover, 496 pages
Tags:YA, Dystopia

Divergent by Veronica Roth (2011)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana, frankiejones)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    The Moon Dwellers by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    burners by Bob Mayer (LongDogMom)
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (Morteana)
    Skylark (The Skylark Trilogy) by Meagan Spooner (reconditereader)
    reconditereader: The opening of Skylark reminds me of some of the scenes with the Dauntless in Divergent. Both are YA dystopia stories.
    Legend by Marie Lu (Aleana)

English (1,112)  German (6)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (3)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All (1,129)
This series was one that I couldn't put down. I loved the action and the love story. The storyline and background was similar yet so unique in its own way. I loved the different factions. ( )
  maddiesullivan223 | Apr 28, 2017 |
This book is a sic-fi fantasy novel targeted towards teens and young adults. It is about a girl named Tris who is in a faction but then needs to make a decision that will changer life forever.
  brittanysmith | Apr 27, 2017 |
This book is about a society that believes that you are smart in one thing and you get tested for it, but when one throws a wrench in the system things begin to go haywire. This could be a great tool in the classroom showing how we all have our strengths and we may have strengths in all things or just some things. its okay to be different.
  Lisamegis | Apr 25, 2017 |
Everybody us making a big deal about this book, so I was a little afraid I would be disappointed with it. I was mostly correct. It's not a bad book by any means. It's just that of all the YA dystopian books I've read, this is definitely not near the top of my list of favorites, and wouldn't be my choice for a movie adaptation. ( )
  brideofsevenless | Apr 18, 2017 |
A female named Beatrice prior must choose between 5 factions, but wants to make her family happy. She ends up choosing the Dauntless and later finds out that her mother came from that faction. Beatrice is going through training to see if she can make the cut for the Dauntless and meets four, an instructor for the Dauntless. When she goes through a fear scape she finds out that she is actually divergent, which is a faction that can conquer the serum that the Erudite put in the dauntless. When the training is done the Erudite take over the Dauntless and decide to attack the Abnegation, because of false information. Tris is then forced to act like she is being controlled by the serum. When she gets to abnegation base she then tries to stop the Erudite. She the gets captured and almost drowns but her mother saves her, but when they escape tris' mother dies. Tris finally escapes to a bunker where she finds her father which then dies trying to save Tris. It is a very sad book but also very interesting. I recommend
  Landonl.B4 | Apr 10, 2017 |
Cliques writ large take over in the first of a projected dystopian trilogy.

“Divergent” holds its own in the genre, with brisk pacing, lavish flights of imagination and writing that occasionally startles with fine detail.

Loved this book!!

Roth, Veronicaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother,
who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how
strong
her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long
There is one mirror in my house.

In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,905,231 books! | Top bar: Always visible