Divergent (Divergent Trilogy) by Veronica…

Divergent (Divergent Trilogy) (edition 2011)

by Veronica Roth

Member:kmartin802
Title:Divergent (Divergent Trilogy)
Authors:Veronica Roth
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2011), Hardcover, 496 pages
Collections:Your library, 2011
Tags:YA, Dystopia

Divergent by Veronica Roth

2011 (63) 2012 (68) 2013 (92) action (47) adventure (76) Chicago (151) coming of age (40) courage (44) Divergent (50) dystopia (533) dystopian (301) ebook (79) factions (49) family (74) fantasy (113) fiction (329) identity (61) Kindle (52) read (69) read in 2011 (41) read in 2012 (48) read in 2013 (40) romance (123) science fiction (389) series (134) teen (94) to-read (217) YA (317) young adult (433) young adult fiction (59)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Legend by Marie Lu (Aleana)
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    The Moon Dwellers: The Dwellers Saga (Volume 1) by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Skylark by Meagan Spooner (reconditereader)
    reconditereader: The opening of Skylark reminds me of some of the scenes with the Dauntless in Divergent. Both are YA dystopia stories.

English (712)  German (4)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (722)
First in the Divergent Series. 16-year-old Beatrice 'Tris' Prior has grown up Abnegation in dystopian Chicago. The population is divided into five factions: Abnegation (selfless); Amity (peaceful), Candor (honest), Dauntless (brave and fearless) and Erudite (intelligent and studious). On Choosing Day every 16-year-old decides which faction they will join as a result of their simulated aptitude test - which starts off asking them to choose between a knife and some cheese! Beatrice's results are inconclusive - a dangerous state to be in if authorities ever find out as she could become factionless and left to fend alone. She must decide between staying with her family and choosing where she best fits - and when she chooses Dauntless she must try to survive the initiation training...

A strong kick-arse heroine, an extremely flawed society and a slow building romance (Four/Tobias) combine to craft a story that engages readers. Only towards the end of the book do we discover what the growing political tension between the factions has been leading to. A few flaws but quite good - will read the next in the series. ( )
  boppisces | Apr 21, 2014 |
Divergent by Veronica Roth. Published by HarperCollins children's books. Copyright 2011. pg. 487

Type of Book: Modern Fantasy.

Summary:Years after a war destroyed the U.S. Chicago survived and was divided into five groups called factions. They are Erudite, Amity, Candor, Abnegation and Dauntless. In the factions you display different aspects such as honesty, bravery, nice, selfless, or smart. The main character Beatrice or Tris for short, is in Abnegation with her parents and brother, Caleb. When the children turn 16 they take an aptitude test to determine where they belong. Tris and Caleb are both taking it this year. It is a series of tests and Beatrice's test comes back "incomplete," her results say she belongs into Abnegation, Erudite and Dauntless. This is very rare and seen as a threat to everyone. You are not supposed to get more than one result back so she is called a Divergent but these types are seen as dangerous to everyone else. On choosing day, where the 16 year olds get to chose where they want to join, Beatrice chooses Dauntless. Nobody knows she is divergent besides her and her test official who told her not to tell anyone. Once the members have chosen their new home they can not back out or they will become factionless. Caleb ended up choosing Erudite, which was the smart faction. Tris chose the bravery faction. In the first few hours of her new faction she has to jump onto a train, jump onto rooftops, and jump off a building into a hole. They do not know what they are jumping into. Tris decides to show bravery and be first. There was a net at the bottom where Tobias Eaton, Dauntless named Four, was there and this is where she changed her name to Tris. The new members have to go through several weeks of intense training of physical, mental and emotional training. They go through multiple tests and the lowest scores end up leaving Dauntless and being Factionless. The first tests are physical ability. Tris is not very tough but she shows bravery and doesn't back down. The final tests are fear landscape, which proves if they are dauntless or not. This highlights their greatest fears and they have to figure out how to control their heartbeat and how to get through it like a Dauntless would. Most of the time the individuals are in this stimulation for several minutes. Tris does hers and gets through it in three minutes which was the fastest ever. Four mentions about being Divergent and wondering how she got through it so fast. He changes the results because Jeanie Mattews, head of Erudite cannot find out that Tris is Divergent. Four and Tris start to fall for each other and Tris finds out that Four is Divergent. They have to blend in so Four teaches Tris how to overcome fears without looking like you are Divergent. The leaders announce who is in dauntless. Each person gets a "tracking device" but it is actually serum for a stimulation. Jeanie Mattews created it so she can use dauntless as soldiers to take over abnegation and become the ruling faction. Tris and Four have to pretend they are under this control because they are divergent. Jeanie ordered them to go to Abnegation where Tris's parents are, they are to kill everyone. Tris and Four look for her parents but cannot find them but Jeanie finds out that they are both divergent. They take Four and run experiments on him and make him under their control. Tris escapes and finds her parents but her mother is killed and her brother and father are with Tobia's father. Tris takes them into Dauntless so they can stop the simulation. Tobias almost kills Tris but she holds the gun to her head and the love connection makes him realize what he is doing. They then force Jeanie to stop the simulation. After this the dauntless soldiers come back to themselves and then there is no more dauntless or abnegation. Tris, Four, Caleb and Tobia's father are trying to find a different faction because they think there is more to come and it is hard to trust people now.

Summary: I really enjoyed this book. I think that it was suspenseful and a good read. You get to see the love connection between Tris and Four. It was a page turner for me. I think it would be good for young adults.
  singleton2012 | Apr 20, 2014 |
This is a difficult book to gauge, except in comparison to other books within the same genre and audience, so I guess I'll approach it on that level. In many ways, the book read as though it wanted to be the next "Hunger Games," with a heroine reluctantly pulled into a struggle against a seemingly unbeatable system that ultimately seeks her destruction. Yet, it does not have quite what it takes to pull it off. I do enjoy the world that Roth created here. It reminds me very much of the best dystopian novels that I have read, while having a uniqueness to it which captured my attention. The central plot, however, is extremely slow to develop, leaving the whole book building up to the very end, when we finally catch on to what the trilogy apparently is meant to revolve around. This made it feel slow, and the writing did not help, though that did improve a bit at the end. Yet, I did feel that, in terms of my ultimate level of enjoyment, the book rightfully deserves four stars, mainly because it did leave off with what I hope to be a fair bit of potential (fair disclosure: I did start the second book already, and that has helped to form my opinion). Overall, it does not hold up to the greatest young adult works, in excitement or writing, but with it apparently being her first published book, I see potential talent here, and a story that has a lot of room to grow. After all, if even J.K. Rowling grew a lot as a writer as her series progressed, I cannot blame other authors for needing to do so too. ( )
  TiffanyAK | Apr 19, 2014 |
Before I begin this review, there’s some necessary exposition to endure. The book is narrated in the first person by our main character Beatrice Prior, a small, unintimidating girl from the “Abnegation” faction. Now, of course, I can’t tell you about this book without describing the division of the factions. Divergent is set in a Dystopian Chicago (and throughout the book, I never personally picked up on the fact that she was in Chicago because I don’t believe it’s directly stated anywhere that the city Divergent takes place in is Chicago, so much as a few really big hints like “the windy city” might be thrown in there once or twice) divided into categories of people known as “factions”. What divides the factions are what they value. For example, our main character, Beatrice, is from the Abnegation faction, which values selflessness above all things. The factions are taken very seriously, and affect every aspect of a person’s life; including their clothing, lifestyle, and ideals.

Our plot revolves around Beatrice sort of “coming-of-age”. In this society, once a person turns 16, they are supposed to participate in the “choosing ceremony” where, if so desired, the can switch factions. Before this happens, however, Beatrice endures a test that is supposed to tell her which faction she belongs to which results inconclusively, and providing the book with its namesake, since those who receive this kind of result are called “Divergent”. Not that many people would know, however, being as people who are divergent are told essentially to run for their lives. Not literally run, of course, but the point is that divergence is dangerous and is something you should never share with anyone….ever.

This concept is interesting, and it certainly does get you thinking. Personally, I can’t see how divergence isn’t a wide-spread phenomena already, and I love twiddling with the idea that maybe everybody in this world is divergent but simply no one knows it because they’ve seen it as dangerous for so long. What you really should read this book for, however, is the action.

Although Divergent seems like a huge brick of a book at first glance (especially in comparison to other YA novels), the book itself is so fast paced and focused much more on the things Beatrice is doing rather than her reactions to them, that it feels more like watching an action movie than reading a novel. Quite frankly, I’m not surprised that it’s getting its own film adaptation. This is the one thing I will give this book fault for; although it is an extremely enjoyable, exciting read that will genuinely catch your interest in the entire series, it could have just as easily been a script and produced that same feeling.

Overall, I’d give it 4 stars.

P.S Another thing that I’m sure everyone is thinking about; “It sounds a lot like the Hunger Games”. Quite frankly I don’t blame them, but I’d like to point that it also very much so resembles “The Giver”, which is actually also being adapted into a film. All I hope for the film is that it focuses more on the brutality of the world Beatrice lives in and her life experience and not the romantic bits of the novel. ( )
  ChaChatheSkimasaur | Apr 18, 2014 |
I am not afraid to admit that I absolutely had the wrong idea about Divergent. I'm pretty sure I didn't know what it was about. I originally thought it was going to be some sappy love story with some moderate action thrown in between a la The Hunger Games trilogy. I am so glad that I was so wrong.

Divergent is set in a dystopian society split into five factions: Abnegation, Amity, Candor, Erudite, and Dauntless. Now the actual definitions of these great S.A.T. words are essentially how everyone accordingly acts. Therefore, Abnegation are selfless, Amity are peaceful, Candor are honest, Erudite are knowledgeable, and Dauntless are brave. Each faction controls different parts of the society.

When a child reaches 16, they have to take a test which is a simulation. How they react to their simulated surroundings determines which faction they should be in. Now in the Choosing Ceremony, they can choose either to stay in their current faction or go to a different one.

The protagonist is Beatrice Prior from Abnegation. She's already having doubts about staying in her faction because she doesn't believe she's selfless enough. During her test, her results came up inconclusive. She had equal aptitude for either Erudite, Abnegation, or Dauntless. Beatrice is known as "Divergent." It's a very dangerous thing to be. At the Choosing Ceremony, Beatrice chooses Dauntless.

It is a rude awakening dealing with the Dauntless initiations and their way of life, however, Beatrice feels alive for the first time. She's getting physically and mentally stronger, has adopted a new name, made real friends, and might have a special love interest.

Not all is what it seems and one of the factions is trying to start a very bloody revolution and like or not, Beatrice might find herself caught in the middle...

I really enjoyed Divergent because it really surprised me. I didn't think it was going to as intricate as it was. I love how if any of the characters failed they're initiations they would be known as "factionless", basically homeless, and shunned. The whole process reminded me of the Amish community and the rumspringa. I love the whole aspect of facing fears and the debate of free will. Also, the bloody revolution. My only complaint was that the love story got really saccharine at times but that's just me.

Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother,
who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how
strong
her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long
There is one mirror in my house.

In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,560,096 books! | Top bar: Always visible