Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Veronica Roth

Member:moggetcat
Title:Divergent
Authors:Veronica Roth
Info:HarperCollinsChildren'sBooks (2011), Paperback, 487 pages
Collections:read
Rating:***
Tags:dystopian

Divergent by Veronica Roth (2011)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana, frankiejones, al.vick)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (Morteana)
    Secondborn by Amy A. Bartol (wordcauldron)
    The Moon Dwellers by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    Waterbound by Jane Stemp (MyopicBookworm)
    burners by Bob Mayer (LongDogMom)

English (1,226)  German (7)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (1,244)
This was a standard young adult dystopian novel. It was entertaining and kept me turning the pages. I liked the main character. I thought the concept was a little clunky and unbelievable, but if I ignored that it was a fun story. The love story was typical of the genre and did result in a couple of eye rolls, but I did like the characters and appreciated the lack of a love triangle. Overall it was a fun read that was pretty typical for a young adult dystopian novel but I have read others that were more interesting and that had a more believable set up ( )
  Cora-R | May 22, 2019 |
Awesome book. Better than Hunger Games, IMHO. ( )
  kweber319 | May 13, 2019 |
Great story line. A subtle love story. ( )
  Teezie | May 10, 2019 |
Another dystopian future book, another book I got into after students got me into it. I liked this one a bit more than Hunger Games but again, I would love to see a female lead that doesn't fall in love and have really dumb plot twists centered around the love story. This book would be GREAT without the added seemingly necessary love story.
  RachelLeibiger | Apr 30, 2019 |
I like dytopian books and this was pretty good. I like the different factions and their values and the initiation was fun to read. Tris was a good main character, she's strong but not invincible. She is physically weak at the beginning but adapts and does what she needs to in order to become stronger. Tris is also kind and can be both selfless and selfish, like most people. I liked her and Four's relationship and the secrets they told each other. The fear simulator is so cool but scary. I can't imagine facing your fears like that.
Overall this was an engaging read and I'm looking forward to book 2. ( )
  AlyP59 | Apr 25, 2019 |

Roth, Veronicaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother,
who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how
strong
her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long
There is one mirror in my house.
In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.

AR level 4.8, 16 pts

In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomoly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.… (more)

5 1912

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,827,011 books! | Top bar: Always visible