Divergent (Divergent Trilogy) by Veronica…

Divergent (Divergent Trilogy) (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Veronica Roth

Member:MsTracyV
Title:Divergent (Divergent Trilogy)
Authors:Veronica Roth
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 576 pages
Collections:Your library, 7th Grade, 8th Grade, teen
Rating:*****
Tags:Chicago, dystopian, love, friends, identity, action, series, science fiction, amity, abnegation, dauntless, candor, erudite, Beatrice, Tris, Four, Tobias, factions, war, simulations, death

Divergent by Veronica Roth (2011)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    The Moon Dwellers by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    burners by Bob Mayer (LongDogMom)
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (Morteana)
    Skylark by Meagan Spooner (reconditereader)
    reconditereader: The opening of Skylark reminds me of some of the scenes with the Dauntless in Divergent. Both are YA dystopia stories.
    Legend by Marie Lu (Aleana)

English (1,054)  German (5)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (1,069)
Veronica Roth’s debut book dives into the dystopian fiction genre with a splash. If you enjoyed the Hunger Games, Divergent, the first book in the trilogy, will keep you in suspense and have you begging for more at the end.

Beatrice Prior, a sixteen-year-old girl, growing-up in a post-war, futuristic Chicago must make some difficult decisions. The city is divided into five factions based on virtue: Amity (peaceful), Erudite (intelligent), Dauntless (brave), Abnegation (selfless), and Candor (honest). These factions are meant to help keep peace within the region. But do the factions really help keep the peace? Now that Beatrice is sixteen, she and all other sixteen-year-olds must take an aptitude test which will determine the best faction for them; however, they ultimately get the final decision on the Choosing Day. When Choosing Day arrives, Beatrice must decide which faction she will choose. Will she choose her own faction, Abnegation, or make a difficult decision and choose another faction based on her aptitude test? Will her decision disappoint her family? Her decision may even surprise her. Once everyone has chosen their faction, they will then be initiated into that faction. Those that do not complete initiation will become factionless which is a fate worse than death to Beatrice. Divergent, Roth’s debut book, is an exciting read, well written and sure to provoke lively discussions!
  Kay_Downing | Apr 28, 2016 |
Review Originally Posted At: FictionForesight

In a post-apocalyptic society where your faction means everything, how do you choose between the demands of your faction and the desires of yourself?

Divergent takes place in the ruins of a city after the world outside has fallen pray to a catastrophic conflict. As a means to maintain order, this last remaining society divided itself into five separate factions. Each faction has different, yet strict, norms and beliefs, and fulfill specific roles within the society. The main character, Beatrice, is faced with many difficult choices throughout the book and soon learns that every choice has a consequence.

Overall I found this book to be enjoyable and easy to read. It was not hard to relate to the characters, and the plot of the book seemed to be mostly realistic (aside form one thought, that there should have been more monitoring/screening of simulations). It's a great book to satisfy your inner dystopian. It also encourages independence and the ability to make the tough choices when they are the right ones. To me, this has become a modern-day classic. In my opinion, it is a must in any wood-be dystopian fan's library.

(www.FictionForesight.com) ( )
  FictionForesight | Apr 26, 2016 |
I love divergent. The first time I read it, I sped through it in like five hours. NO I am reading it with my class and I have noticed bits int he book that I must of skipped. This book is still as amazing as the first time I read it. ( )
  gracefranks25 | Apr 24, 2016 |
I was told if I liked the Hunger Games I would like this, and I did so someone knows me well!

In a time where society is created of factions each with their own particular ways, then there's Tris whose divergent. Certainly she can't be the only one and off she goes to Dauntless to show what she's really made of. Making friends and enemies on the way falling in love and trying to keep her identity as divergent a secret from all.

There's plenty of action and I got through the book quite quickly, it held my attention and I liked the narrative. I've only read the first in the series but I'll be downloading the sequel for sure. ( )
  paperlesspages | Apr 23, 2016 |
My 12 y.o. daughter is discovering dystopian fiction, and this is her favourite book, EVER! Even better than the [b:The Hunger Games|2767052|The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1)|Suzanne Collins|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1358275334s/2767052.jpg|2792775], she says. You just have to read this, mom! (In about four years from now, I'm going to introduce her to a whole other level of dystopian fiction and give her Atwood's [b:The Handmaid's Tale|38447|The Handmaid's Tale|Margaret Atwood|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1294702760s/38447.jpg|1119185].)
This is perfectly and most squarely aimed at teenagers/YA. What better audience for a book about a society that is divided into like groups based on common traits? (It's kind of like the stratification that is happening in middle school). They adhere to strict societal controls based on their faction (those of Abnegation wear gray and try to be inconspicuous in all they say and do, and are excellent leaders because they are selfless, etc), and their coming-of-age means they have to choose which faction they will henceforth belong to. They must choose their identity, their grown-up self. They have to choose what kind of person they will be. And in the process they will learn about the complexities of human nature.
The book is strong in these themes of identity, the roles of citizens and society, and it also touches lightly on awakening romantic interests. The choices are strongly polarised, black and white, fitting in well with the strong sense of justice that this age group is developing. Wrap it up with some cartoonish smack-em-down violence, some teenage rebellion and revolution, and the ending is then set up nicely for #2 [b:Insurgent|11735983|Insurgent (Divergent, #2)|Veronica Roth|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1325667729s/11735983.jpg|15524542]. ( )
  TheBookJunky | Apr 22, 2016 |

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother,
who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how
strong
her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long
There is one mirror in my house.

In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,256,325 books! | Top bar: Always visible