Divergent (Divergent Trilogy) by Veronica…

Divergent (Divergent Trilogy) (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Veronica Roth

Member:MsTracyV
Title:Divergent (Divergent Trilogy)
Authors:Veronica Roth
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 576 pages
Collections:Your library, 7th Grade, 8th Grade, teen
Rating:*****
Tags:Chicago, dystopian, love, friends, identity, action, series, science fiction, amity, abnegation, dauntless, candor, erudite, Beatrice, Tris, Four, Tobias, factions, war, simulations, death

Divergent by Veronica Roth (2011)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    The Moon Dwellers by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    burners by Bob Mayer (LongDogMom)
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (Morteana)
    Skylark by Meagan Spooner (reconditereader)
    reconditereader: The opening of Skylark reminds me of some of the scenes with the Dauntless in Divergent. Both are YA dystopia stories.
    Legend by Marie Lu (Aleana)

English (1,066)  German (5)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (1,081)
Divergent is about a girl called Tris. She lives in a society where everyone has to play their part by joining a faction. Tris, however, does not feel like she belongs to just one of these factions which makes her forced to live a life she doesn't want to live. When she decides to go her own way, she chooses a life in which nobody can be trusted. Along the way she meets a boy who, even though he seems dangerous, makes her feel safe.

After watching the film I just had to read the book and I must say that the book was more convincing than the film. The way Veronica Roth portrayed Tris made it easy for me to see myself in her shoes which is a real plus. Tris is a strong character and has her own mind. These traits make it interesting to read about her journey and the people she meets during that journey.
  Galeru | Jun 22, 2016 |
I think I went into this expecting another Hunger Games, which it was not. But once I got out of that mindset, it turned out to be a pretty good book. Maybe a just a smidgen more girly than I would have liked, but the story was good. Maybe the second book will have lost some of the girl and gained a little more grit. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Little slow at first, but once it got going, I couldn't stop. I hope the 2nd one comes out soon! ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
This was an enjoyable book. I liked the tests and trials Tris had to do go through. The ending seemed a tad rushed, but I look forward to continuing the trilogy. Much prefer The Hunger Games Trilogy so far bur as I previously said an enjoyable read. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
Also reviewed here: http://porcelainulairi.wordpress.com/2011/10/08/review-divergent/

In a city that was once Chicago, there are five factions. Each faction was formed to eliminate the qualities they thought responsible for the decline of civilization and embrace those which could lead to a better world. Chapter 5 has an amazing explanation of each faction, and I want to quote it here.

The peaceful, “Those who blamed aggression formed Amity.”
The intelligent, “Those who blamed ignorance became the Erudite.”
The honest, “Those who blamed duplicity created Candor.”
The selfless, “Those who blamed selfishness made Abnegation.”
The brave, “And those who blamed cowardice were the Dauntless.”

Beatrice was born into the world as Abnegation. But at age sixteen, she gets to choose to be different. Before the ceremony, each teenager is given an aptitude test to determine where they would best fit, but the ultimate decision is up to them. Beatrice is at a loss as to where she belongs, and things are only made worse when her aptitude test is inconclusive. The test giver tells her she is Divergent, but what that really means she doesn’t know. She just knows that it’s dangerous, and she must keep it a secret. Is she selfless enough to devote her life to others? Can she leave her loved ones behind? In the end, she must be herself, and that means being brave and moving on. Renaming herself Tris, she must now pass Dauntless initiation or become Factionless, a fate worse than death. She must discover who she is and who her friends are. In the process she also discovers new enemies, what it means to be Divergent, and what is really going on in the city.

The novel mostly revolves around her life in the Dauntless compound, so don’t worry about feeling like I gave you too much information. And I should warn you now that there is an “ending,” but not much of one. There is a sequel to be released in May of 2012, entitled Insurgent. After reading a little on Veronica Roth’s blog, she states that it will indeed be a trilogy, but no more.

I hope that after reading the little summary above that I have already garnered some interest. The plot and theme itself is what drew me in and kept me reading (I finished it in a day or so), but the characters are truly enjoyable. Tris is flawed, which is good, because no one likes a perfect heroine. She is believable as any sixteen year old girl. She is brave in situations that many of us would be frightened stiff, but she remains shy and awkward. Four, one of her Dauntless teachers, is mysterious and intimidating, yet she is drawn to him. Eric, another teacher, seems obsessed with violence, which seems to rub off on several initiates. There are very few characters that we get to know in-depth, but even the minor characters are intriguing, particularly her nemesis, Peter.

What is the appeal of young adult novels nowadays? When I was growing up, there was a large gap in reading material. I went from Goosebumps to adult novels. Now kids have all of these amazing options to choose from, and while at first I was wildly jealous, then embarrassed for picking them up, I now embrace them with full force. I have found myself completely drawn in to the dystopian theme that is trending in the YA section. There are many different takes and versions of a future society, and it is interesting to read the many options and compare. It is a great mix of young characters we can relate to and a science fiction/fantasy element.

As far as this book goes, I put it near the top of young adult novels out there, but like every novel, it is not without flaws. I give it 4 stars. The plot is new and interesting, although the large climax at the end seems like it is given too few pages in comparison to her training with Dauntless. Tris is a likeable main character, although I felt like I didn’t know enough about her. She seemed so shy and quiet in the first five chapters, and then she is courageous and I find myself wondering where it came from. If it was there from the beginning, it would have been better to see traces of it at least. In the end though, it didn’t matter that much. It hooks you in the beginning, and it is a quick read because it is fascinating but not too complicated. Roth is a very talented new writer. I am very much looking forward to the rest of the trilogy. If it ends well, I would gladly pick up anything else she writes in the future. ( )
  Ulairi | Jun 16, 2016 |

Roth, Veronicaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother,
who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how
strong
her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long
There is one mirror in my house.

In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,719,622 books! | Top bar: Always visible