Divergent (Divergent Trilogy) by Veronica…

Divergent (Divergent Trilogy) (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Veronica Roth

Member:MsTracyV
Title:Divergent (Divergent Trilogy)
Authors:Veronica Roth
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 576 pages
Collections:Your library, 7th Grade, 8th Grade, teen
Rating:*****
Tags:Chicago, dystopian, love, friends, identity, action, series, science fiction, amity, abnegation, dauntless, candor, erudite, Beatrice, Tris, Four, Tobias, factions, war, simulations, death

Divergent by Veronica Roth (2011)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    Legend by Marie Lu (Aleana)
    The Moon Dwellers by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken (bell7)
    Skylark by Meagan Spooner (reconditereader)
    reconditereader: The opening of Skylark reminds me of some of the scenes with the Dauntless in Divergent. Both are YA dystopia stories.

English (827)  German (5)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (841)
There are only a few words I need to describe this book. EPICLY AWESOME! AMAZING! VERY COOL. I think you get the point here. This is one amazing book and I can't wait for the next one. I read this book all the way through in about two hours and it definitely lived up to the hype. There are surprises at every corner and the author takes risks with everything from plot to characters and I love that about this book.

Obviously as many great books the crowning jewel of this book is the characters. Tris is an amazing character and goes through what people and teens especially all over the world are trying to do, not the whole thing but the trying to decide what you want in life sort of thing. I love Four, he is so amazing and I just want to hug him every time he comes into a scene.

I am intrigued by the world Ms. Roth has built and it makes me want to just keep reading so I can learn more and more about it. I had to think about what caste I would be in and couldn't decide...there needs to be like an test to see which one you might be in.

Great book. YOU HAVE TO READ IT! ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
The premise of a world factionalised according to Jungian personality indicators is full of possibilities and Roth mines just a few of them. This was the premise that drew me to reading "Divergent" although my awareness of the book was enhanced by knowledge that someone had made a film based upon it.

The novel is written for young adults. Or perhaps one should say young teens. The romance in it, one of the two major plotlines, is sweet and tentative and as inoffensive as it is unreal. Contrasting with this innocence is graphic violence laid on with a trowel. One should not, I suppose, be amazed that modern YA readers can be allowed to wallow in so much sadistic blood and gore while being titillated by sexual explorations worthy of Amish approval.

The book is dead easy to read (a day or two will get you through its light 500 pages), its future dystopic world keeps your interest up, and its "Hunger Games" violence suspiciously hinting a CGI interpretation. ( )
  PhilipJHunt | Nov 15, 2014 |
LOVED this book!!! I absolutely BURNED through it. Can't wait to read the next two. Definitely going to read the next two major books in the series, as well as the sub-stories and other things she's written. ( )
  trayceetee | Nov 15, 2014 |
The pacing in this is awesome, but I feel like the character's reaction to the events at the end was not believable at all.
Faced with a similar event, most people wouldn’t be able to function or continue on as if very little had happened.
It threw me off as a reader.
Read the full review here: www.ravenoak.net ( )
1 vote kaonevar | Nov 12, 2014 |
Takes place in a dystopian future. It's ok but not great. ( )
  DeanClark | Nov 9, 2014 |

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother,
who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how
strong
her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long
There is one mirror in my house.

In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,964,364 books! | Top bar: Always visible