Divergent (Divergent Trilogy) by Veronica…

Divergent (Divergent Trilogy) (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Veronica Roth

9,721912297 (4.09)643
Member:MsTracyV
Title:Divergent (Divergent Trilogy)
Authors:Veronica Roth
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 576 pages
Collections:Your library, 7th Grade, 8th Grade, teen
Rating:*****
Tags:Chicago, dystopian, love, friends, identity, action, series, science fiction, amity, abnegation, dauntless, candor, erudite, Beatrice, Tris, Four, Tobias, factions, war, simulations, death

Divergent by Veronica Roth (2011)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    The Moon Dwellers by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken (bell7)
    Legend by Marie Lu (Aleana)
    Skylark by Meagan Spooner (reconditereader)
    reconditereader: The opening of Skylark reminds me of some of the scenes with the Dauntless in Divergent. Both are YA dystopia stories.

English (896)  German (6)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (911)
Solid story intended for YA but enjoyable for all ages, first of a trilogy. Roth's dystopic Chicago is recognizable and thought-provoking, the story fast-paced, the characters developed well. The main character, Beatrice, is smart, thoughtful, and a treat to get to know. This book needs no long review - if I looked there are probably a hundred or more already. It earned its reputation and I look forward to the rest of the trilogy. ( )
  wareagle78 | May 23, 2015 |
I'll carry over the way I review Divergent with the way I read it; as fast as I can. From the beginning I realized that the author, Veronica Roth, had conceived an ironclad excuse against any accusation of bad writing that can be leveled at her. Everything can be simplified to the dystopian society that is the stage for Divegent. E.g Tris doesn't seem to miss her family. Defense? She doesn't because the faction is not a loving one. But, we see, in the very first scene, that Tris and her mother are being loving and caring in front of the mirror. How does that fit in? Response? It's a dystopian future and appearances deceiving and love is only skin deep.

The worldbuilding in Divergent is the definition of paucity. The infrastructure is hazily hinted at, the technology is erratic, little things like the training of the Dauntless, where the militarism is sketchy at best(people are taught to shoot a gun before learning how to clean or load them). And the characters in the book fall flat to me. To generate the illusion of development, the first half of the book gives us a heroine who says quite boring things, like a slightly challenged person. Tris becomes more normal and outspoken in the second half, but it's too late. The book has lost me as a reader. Funny thing is, if you take a paragraph where Tris both thinks and speaks, and you reverse those two things (i.e put quotation marks on her thoughts and vice versa), you see that she doesn't really change.

There are many books that I don't like. Among them are many that I don't 'get'. I'm fine with that. I'll never say that I have great taste in books. Many books that I don't like are incompatible with me. Divergent, however, belongs to another category. Divergent is the kind of book where the story is a kind of placeholder. You, whoever you might be, must need to invest and project your own emotions and experiences onto the book to make it meaningful and familiar. We do that with most examples of art, to some extent. But here, I feel that we are taking the pieces of our own thoughts and cutting them to fit the jigsaw picture of Divergent. What is healthy is to try to fit existing pieces of the story together. The writer must not make us do his/her work for her. I can't explain it better than that. Divergent is 100 % escapist fare, and I can be no more damning than that. ( )
1 vote Jiraiya | May 10, 2015 |
This is a re-read for me. The first time I read this book, in September 2012, I rated it three out of five stars. After reading it for a second time, I don’t understand how that could possibly be! I’m beginning to think that I clicked the wrong star rating when I first read this book.

The plot of this story is amazing. There is a lot of world building involved with the world Roth created for her readers. It is very unique; very original. The characters were awesome, for lack of a better word. Tris could be annoying at times I’ll admit, but for the most part, I loved her. Four, in my opinion, was probably one of the best developed characters in the story. He’s a very strong male character that I’m sure a lot of girls will be swooning over for a long.

With that being said, I couldn’t put this book down and I am looking forward to re-reading Insurgent in preparation for Allegiant. ( )
  Wonderland_Books | May 2, 2015 |
i love this book and all the others books by this author :) ( )
  tallyyoungblood | Apr 29, 2015 |
I really like dystopian books so it was pretty obvious that I was going to like this one. I must say though at first it was kinda difficult to keep track of who was who and all the different factions. After I got the swing of things though it has proven to be a excellent read and I can't wait to read Insurgent. ( )
  AngelaFries | Apr 29, 2015 |

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother,
who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how
strong
her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long
There is one mirror in my house.

In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,252,943 books! | Top bar: Always visible