Divergent (Divergent Trilogy) by Veronica…

Divergent (Divergent Trilogy) (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Veronica Roth

Member:MsTracyV
Title:Divergent (Divergent Trilogy)
Authors:Veronica Roth
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 576 pages
Collections:Your library, 7th Grade, 8th Grade, teen
Rating:*****
Tags:Chicago, dystopian, love, friends, identity, action, series, science fiction, amity, abnegation, dauntless, candor, erudite, Beatrice, Tris, Four, Tobias, factions, war, simulations, death

Divergent by Veronica Roth (2011)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana, frankiejones)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    The Moon Dwellers by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    burners by Bob Mayer (LongDogMom)
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (Morteana)
    Skylark (The Skylark Trilogy) by Meagan Spooner (reconditereader)
    reconditereader: The opening of Skylark reminds me of some of the scenes with the Dauntless in Divergent. Both are YA dystopia stories.
    Legend by Marie Lu (Aleana)

English (1,100)  German (5)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (3)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All (1,116)
I tried, Internet. I really tried to love this. But I couldn't. My two star rating might even be nicer than I want to be. So please, if you love the Divergent series, skip my review. It's cool if you feel differently, but let's not clash over this one book. I just want to lay down how I feel.

For me, the writing was weak and lacking. The world building makes no sense. The breaking up of an entire society based on one trait makes no sense. You'd think being Divergent would be more widespread! Candor sounds like they make shitty lawyers. Erudite brings a hideous anti-academic slant to YA that was never needed. Dauntless - okay, jumping out of moving trains is not brave, it's dumb. Getting a tattoo does not inherently make you brave. It makes you someone with a tattoo.

Tris spent most of her time either blacking out or being rescued or both. She suffers from being Super Special and Not Like The Other Girls and other hideous tropes to make her stand out. Four became her overly protective and physically-bordering-on-abusive BFF and is involved in her initiation to the point of being inappropriate for a man of his position. Like, how did no one in Dauntless miss the special attention Four was giving his student? You can't possibly tell me that would fly if his colleagues had known.

For a modern society, their ceremonies are very brutish and violent and dirty. CUT YOUR HAND AND BLEED ON THE FACTION OF YOUR CHOICE like are you kidding me? And naturally no one has any problem with this, which is another part of this society that bugs me. 95% of the characters have no problem blindly going along with how things work, even when it is blatantly obvious that something is going wrong. Divergent folks are the only ones who think differently and can see how things really are? Come on.

I'm not even going to get into the needless moments of "girl get away from my man" from Tris (and this is before Tris tells Four how she feels!!!) or the pointing out of the Erudite leader's fat fold like it's supposed to mean something or the fact that Tris calls one of the Dauntless candidates who commits suicide a coward (ughhhh please don't start).

I guess I'm just a bit put off because I immediately identified with Erudite - I'm a big nerd who loves books and learning and research and so forth - but the Erudite faction became the villain group and their characterization was one-dimensional and disappointing. I hope there's a revolt within the Erudite ranks from people who just want to settle in with a cup of tea and a big sexy hardcover book and not take over the world. Erudite folks like that must exist, right?

Despite my feelings on this book, I'm still going to read the sequel. Because damn it, Daniel Dae Kim is going to be in the film version of it, so I want to know what happens and how my beloved LOST actor fits into canon. And then I'll read the third and final book, because apparently it really hacked off readers and I'm curious to see what Roth did to split opinion among the Divergent fandom.

But in terms of dystopian/rebellion YA lit, The Hunger Games this is not. Tris probably wishes she was Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire. ( )
  SarahHayes | Feb 20, 2017 |
Easy read but ultimately felt too 'loose'. Plot points were picked up but . . . the timing was off. Ineffective explanations -- I felt like locations were described a lot, but somehow not in a way that pushed my head to picture them.

But there's something good going on with this writer, and I'm going to look for book 2, hoping to see if it grows. ( )
  MeiraReads | Feb 16, 2017 |
Great book, totally recommend it!

This book was fast paced, with never a dull moment and a quick, easy read. Kinda reminded me a little bit of "The Hunger Games" (another great read). I couldn't put it down and can't wait to read the next one and watch the movie. ( )
  JordanAshleyPerkins | Jan 26, 2017 |
I loved it and couldn't put it down just like everyone said I would do. I can't wait to watch the film version. And I'm on to book two now.

I liked how the book showed the faults in the characters and faults in certain beliefs.
Also the idea that people like someone more who isn't a threat to them and their glory.

I was impressed with Tris. She showed a great mix of the right traits.
And Tobias is wonderful.

This book would be great for a discussion. There are many, many points that could be made if I wanted to take the time. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |

I was impressed with Tris. She showed a great mix of the right traits.
And Tobias is wonderful.

ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
“Divergent” holds its own in the genre, with brisk pacing, lavish flights of imagination and writing that occasionally startles with fine detail.

Cliques writ large take over in the first of a projected dystopian trilogy.
added by wifilibrarian | editKirkus Reviews (May 3, 2011)

Roth, Veronicaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother,
who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how
strong
her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long
There is one mirror in my house.

In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,385,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible