Divergent (Book 1) by Veronica Roth

Divergent (Book 1) (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Veronica Roth

Member:hefruth
Title:Divergent (Book 1)
Authors:Veronica Roth
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 576 pages
Rating:***

Divergent by Veronica Roth (2011)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    Legend by Marie Lu (Aleana)
    The Moon Dwellers: The Dwellers Saga (Volume 1) by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken (bell7)
    Skylark by Meagan Spooner (reconditereader)
    reconditereader: The opening of Skylark reminds me of some of the scenes with the Dauntless in Divergent. Both are YA dystopia stories.

English (782)  German (5)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (796)
Absolutely amazing! I read it the first month my library got it, years ago, and knew it would be a hit immediately! ( )
  TeenLibrarian12 | Aug 17, 2014 |
I wanted to love this book. I love Tris, the main character. I love her strength and her weaknesses. She is well-developed, slightly flawed, believable and real. I want to be friends with her. I love the idea, the world building. I love the messages about focusing on only one part of ourselves and how balance helps us become better people. The movie was really good.

But I just can't get past the language and dialogue. It feels like the entire book is one big first draft. The dialogue is juvenile and unrealistic. There are a few plot holes and discrepancies I can't get past. (They know that they have to pass an initiation to join a different faction, they know that's how people become "factionless" so why are they all mad at Eric and Four for not telling them this before hand? Uh...)

Seriously, go see the movie. It's good.
I can't believe I'm saying that...

Maybe one day I'll pick the book back up and actually finish it, but life is too short for a book that doesn't grab me immediately. ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
From Book Obsession: http://bookobsessiongpl.blogspot.com/2012/08/kearstens-book-club-divergent-by.ht...

"Last night was loud. I don't know if we were all channeling the Dauntless, but even the librarians out at the youth desk commented on how rowdy book club was. I'm not gonna lie: I participated happily in the shouty-laughter.

The book that got us riled-up was Veronica Roth's dystopic science fiction novel, Divergent.

This is a book full of action, fear, tough chicks, evil overlords (of a sort), guilt, conspiracy and a little bit of romance - and you'll be dying to take the aptitude test to discover in which faction you belong...

Unsurprisingly, we spent a good amount of time discussing the factions, each of which value a different trait: selflessness, bravery, intelligence/knowledge, peacefulness, and honesty. Can you be brave without selflessness? Is it worth it to be honest regardless of whom it might hurt? Does an awesome female character ALWAYS have to have some pretty boy tell her how amazing she is before she'll believe it herself?! (Okay, that last one is a personal beef I've been having with teen fiction lately. I'll back off now.)

Already read Divergent? Put the second book in the trilogy, Insurgent, on hold, or try one of these book club suggested titles!

The Maze Runner by James Dashner. Sixteen-year-old Thomas wakes up with no memory in the middle of a maze and realizes he must work with the community in which he finds himself if he is to escape.

Blood Red Road by Moira Young. In a distant future, eighteen-year-old Lugh is kidnapped, and while his twin sister Saba and nine-year-old Emmi are trailing him across bleak Sandsea they are captured, too, and taken to brutal Hopetown, where Saba is forced to be a cage fighter until new friends help plan an escape.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen accidentally becomes a contender in the annual Hunger Games, a grave competition hosted by the Capitol where young boys and girls are pitted against one another in a televised fight to the death.

Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce. Eleven-year-old Alanna, who aspires to be a knight even though she is a girl, disguises herself as a boy to become a royal page, learning many hard lessons along her path to high adventure.

Not enough to satisfy your interest in tough, smart teen girls? Take book clubber Tiffany's suggestion to check out season one of the awesome TV show, Veronica Mars. Tiffany says that the main character of Divergent reminds her of Veronica, in her willingness to stand up for others and to not just go-along with the crowd. (And I agree - Veronica Mars was amazing!)" ( )
  kayceel | Aug 12, 2014 |
I loved this book! I loved the characters Tris and Tobias. I love the plot. Everything about this book was well written. I read it in like 24hrs. ( )
  Tiffy83 | Aug 11, 2014 |
Throughout the whole book, the author seemed to be avoiding romance (a choice which didn't always endear me to the characters) trope and for that reason I found the ending trite and disappointing. Other scenes felt underdeveloped as well, and some characters were a little too trope-y, but the story itself was exciting. ( )
  LaPhenix | Aug 10, 2014 |

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother,
who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how
strong
her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long
There is one mirror in my house.

In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,153,953 books! | Top bar: Always visible