Divergent (Book 1) by Veronica Roth

Divergent (Book 1) (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Veronica Roth

Member:hefruth
Title:Divergent (Book 1)
Authors:Veronica Roth
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 576 pages
Rating:***

Divergent by Veronica Roth (2011)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    Legend by Marie Lu (Aleana)
    The Moon Dwellers by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken (bell7)
    Skylark by Meagan Spooner (reconditereader)
    reconditereader: The opening of Skylark reminds me of some of the scenes with the Dauntless in Divergent. Both are YA dystopia stories.

English (829)  German (5)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (843)
I stumbled upon The Hunger Games trilogy in 2011, reluctantly read the first book despite the genre being one I generally don't tend towards but fell in love. It felt different and I was open to something different. I searched Good Reads for recommendations on the next book to read and the lovers of The Hunger Games consistently recommended Divergent. They were right! I read it in less than a week and was pleasantly surprised to find that it wasn't a regurgitation of The Hunger Games but something else fresh and new. I'm wondering if I'm now a true convert to this YA dystopian genre. Next up: Uglies. ( )
  kellifrobinson | Nov 25, 2014 |
Loved this book! The characters are lovable and Hateable but realistic. Everyone seems capable of the same skills. Still curious about the bigger picture, though, so I'm looking forward to the next book. ( )
  ladypembroke | Nov 22, 2014 |
Divergent is a doorstop of a book, clocking in at almost 500 pages of actual story (and maybe another 50 of extra features) with about three words a page. Okay, maybe that is an exaggeration, but I was able to finish this book in a day of quick reading.

Unfortunately, I'm not completely sure how I feel about it. On one hand, it was fun, action-packed, and a really fast read. I didn't invest a lot in it, thank goodness, because it does have quite a few faults. First of all, there are frequently terms or concepts that are put out there without explanation. I wasn't entirely sure what the amity faction was all about until maybe halfway through the book, and even then I apparently was mistaken because I read somewhere they were about peace, when I believed they were creative. Not a huge deal, though, in the grand scheme of things, but when I assumed things based on context clues that later turned out to be wrong assumptions, clearly the concepts were not explained enough. I get showing, and not telling, but there was a little more room for telling in this book.

Another thing is that for about 30 pages in the middle somewhere, I liked the underlying "message" of the book. Or what I thought was the underlying message. I was getting the feeling that it was making a statement about change, and how things can start out with the best of intentions, but be twisted by only a few people into something different and undesirable. And then, people started killing people, and I was kind of lost.

I don't want to give anything away, but I didn't really like the violence in the book. Sometimes violence can, when used sparingly (in my opinion), have a very meaningful effect on a story. In this case, it seemed like the fighting and violence were written in for it's own sake, not to make any sort of point. It was gross and gruesome in a way it didn't need to be.

I will say, and this is completely my own bias, that I love when books take place in Chicago, and from the few details, I really did enjoy imagining a future Chicago and what it would look like in the society created by Roth. But, since I know Chicago, I feel like it was easier for me than it would be for somebody who is not familiar with the city at all.

Roth's writing style makes it very easy to get sucked in to the book. There were times when I am sure my heart was beating faster and I was genuinely terrified for the characters. But, I was scared for the characters because I don't want anything bad to happen to anybody, not necessarily the people whom I was supposed to like. Sure, I wanted the bad guys to go down. But that didn't mean I loved the main characters. In fact, Tris drove me insane. She was reckless and immature, and didn't seem to grow at all. Like I said, there were a few moments when I thought she was getting it (when her and Four were discussing the purpose of an exercise) and then she went back to being the same annoying character she was before the conversation.

So. If you are looking for something with a lot of action, and you aren't particularly picky about tons of violence, and you don't expect amazing things, you will probably like this book. If I hadn't started thinking about it, I would definitely have enjoyed it a lot more. But I will likely not be picking up the sequel. ( )
  kateminasian | Nov 22, 2014 |
There are only a few words I need to describe this book. EPICLY AWESOME! AMAZING! VERY COOL. I think you get the point here. This is one amazing book and I can't wait for the next one. I read this book all the way through in about two hours and it definitely lived up to the hype. There are surprises at every corner and the author takes risks with everything from plot to characters and I love that about this book.

Obviously as many great books the crowning jewel of this book is the characters. Tris is an amazing character and goes through what people and teens especially all over the world are trying to do, not the whole thing but the trying to decide what you want in life sort of thing. I love Four, he is so amazing and I just want to hug him every time he comes into a scene.

I am intrigued by the world Ms. Roth has built and it makes me want to just keep reading so I can learn more and more about it. I had to think about what caste I would be in and couldn't decide...there needs to be like an test to see which one you might be in.

Great book. YOU HAVE TO READ IT! ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
The premise of a world factionalised according to Jungian personality indicators is full of possibilities and Roth mines just a few of them. This was the premise that drew me to reading "Divergent" although my awareness of the book was enhanced by knowledge that someone had made a film based upon it.

The novel is written for young adults. Or perhaps one should say young teens. The romance in it, one of the two major plotlines, is sweet and tentative and as inoffensive as it is unreal. Contrasting with this innocence is graphic violence laid on with a trowel. One should not, I suppose, be amazed that modern YA readers can be allowed to wallow in so much sadistic blood and gore while being titillated by sexual explorations worthy of Amish approval.

The book is dead easy to read (a day or two will get you through its light 500 pages), its future dystopic world keeps your interest up, and its "Hunger Games" violence suspiciously hinting a CGI interpretation. ( )
  PhilipJHunt | Nov 15, 2014 |

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother,
who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how
strong
her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long
There is one mirror in my house.

In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,988,393 books! | Top bar: Always visible