Divergent (Book 1) by Veronica Roth

Divergent (Book 1) (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Veronica Roth

Member:hefruth
Title:Divergent (Book 1)
Authors:Veronica Roth
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 576 pages
Rating:***

Divergent by Veronica Roth (2011)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    Legend by Marie Lu (Aleana)
    The Moon Dwellers: The Dwellers Saga (Volume 1) by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken (bell7)
    Skylark by Meagan Spooner (reconditereader)
    reconditereader: The opening of Skylark reminds me of some of the scenes with the Dauntless in Divergent. Both are YA dystopia stories.

English (801)  German (5)  Spanish (4)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (816)
Futuristic, Young Adult, Dystopian Chicago

Beatrice Prior lives in a world where society is divided into five factions. Each dedicated to a particular virtue. Candor is honesty, Abnegation is selflessness, Dauntless is bravery, Amity is peaceful and Erudite is intelligence. Once a year on an appointed day all the sixteen-year-olds must select the faction that they will belong to for the rest of their lives. Beatrice’s decision comes down to being with her family or being who she truly is. She can’t have both though. She makes a choice that no one saw coming not even herself.

While Beatrice goes through the highly competitive initiation she renames herself Tris and struggles to figure just exactly who her friends are and who is not. Tris also has a secret that she has to keep to herself or as she has been warned will mean her death. She then discovers a conflict that is growing and threatens the seemingly perfect society that she lives in, threatening to unravel everything. She also discovers that her secret just might be the very thing she needs to save those she loves if it doesn’t destroy her instead.

This is an excellent book that comes to life with every word that is read. It is similar to some books and yet it is very different and proves to be a book that will be one that will be hard to forget even after the very last page is read. Reading how Tris grows and overcomes the obstacles placed in her path is interesting and will hold the reader captive until the very end. This book starts the trilogy off with a bang that will have readers wanting to see just where this is headed and how it will turn out for the characters. It is easy to see why this one was turned into a movie. ( )
  lrhubble | Sep 20, 2014 |

Main Characters

Tris Prior - Beatrice "Tris" Prior is the protagonist and narrator of the Divergent series. She is a sixteen year old girl who is sarcastic and strong-willed, and dislikes showing weakness. Tris was born in the faction Abnegation but decided to transfer to Dauntless, and must face the fact that she is Divergent. When Tris arrives in her new faction, she opted for a change of name to go by, using Tris as a nickname to Beatrice, hoping for a fresh start in a new faction.

Tobias Eaton - more prominently known as Four, is one of the main characters in Divergent, and the son of Evelyn and Marcus Eaton. Alongside Eric, he is the instructor of the transfer initiates. He is the love interest of Beatrice Prior. Beatrice is a lucky woman :L

aaaand that's all I'm naming so far XD

Memorable Quotes

Quote #01:

“ I am selfish,
I am brave.
I am Divergent. ” ~ Tris

Quote #02:

“ We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another. ” ~ Dauntless manifesto

Quote #03:

“ Can you be a girl for a few seconds?"
"I'm always a girl" I frown.
"You know what I mean. Like a silly, annoying girl"
I twirl my hair around my finger. "Kay.”

and many others c:

Review The mix of suspense, and action, made this book turn out wonderful. Although many people debate it's similar to the Hunger Games, it's unique in its own way. Veronica Roth crafted this book finely, and I enjoyed reading it :) What faction would you join?

Ditergent.... one wash can cleanse you XD

I am brave.
I am Divergent. ” ~ Tris

Quote #02:

Quote #03:

“ Can you be a girl for a few seconds?"
"I'm always a girl" I frown.
"You know what I mean. Like a silly, annoying girl"
I twirl my hair around my finger. "Kay.”

and many others c:

Ditergent.... one wash can cleanse you XD

ku. | Sep 20, 2014 |
The city is divided among five factions: the selfless Abnegation, the brave Dauntless, the intellectual Erudite, the compassionate Amity and the honest Candor. Every child chooses their faction at the age of 16 after being guided by their test which shows where their tendency lies.

Abnegation-born Tris’s test was inconclusive. She has the traits of more than one faction; she is a Divergent, something she is urged to keep hidden for the sake of her life.

She joins the Dauntless and has to struggle with the vastly different culture there and hope to pass their rigorous, dangerous and arduous tests to earn her place among them – all while concealing her difference.

But in the city tensions between the factions are flaring and the very thing the factions were created to prevent – war – is looming.

At first glance, the world setting for this dystopia seems quite ridiculous to a level of parody. The factions take their “virtues” to such extremes that not only would it be nearly impossible to live according to their principles – but it wouldn’t be advisable to do so either. The factions themselves are ludicrously simplistic, have a ridiculously narrow view of humanity and frequently twist their “virtues” to mean things that are completely nonsensical (like the Dauntless apparently conflating “courage” and “cruelty” to say nothing of “suicidally reckless”); the whole concept of factions ignores the sheer complexity of humanity and the impossibility of dividing people down such simple lines. Even the test they all take is laughable in its simplicity (they picked up the cheese! That means they’re Amity… or hungry… and the poor lactose intolerant would-be Amity are out of luck).

This world setting doesn’t work – cannot work. This society is more than a little ludicrous. The flaws are huge, there are far too many people who fall through the cracks (and there are so many, huge cracks) and it would be a deeply terrible way to try and actually run things.

But I think it’s supposed to be. While the story focuses on Tris’s story and why she doesn’t fit into the world (with a heavy dollop of super-chosen-one-specialness), in the background there’s an ongoing theme that this society doesn’t really work – and that the steps that are taken to make it work are dubious to say the least. We have an entire group of people, the factionless, who are just jettisoned from the system, ignored and regarded with contempt by much of the rest of society (even if it is pitying contempt). We see how much the Dauntless faction has completely twisted and warped what it means to be Dauntless to create a twisted parody of what it once was. It’s shown repeatedly – and even told – that the reason most people fit into these simplistic factions is because they’re basically brainwashed from birth. Of course they’re going to choose the appropriate, simplistic choices on the test because that choice been hammered into their heads from the moment they’re born – hence the rarity and remarkability of faction transfers. The “Divergent” are less people who have aptitude in more than one virtue, but are more reasonably people who have resisted or avoided their familial brainwashing (then with a dollop of Chosen One on top). We see how people exploit the system – an Abnegation abusive father gets away with it because how could one of the selfless do such a thing? A Candor manages to cause all kinds of trouble without consequence because no-one believes he could possibly be lying. And, yes, the Erudite may be up to naughty shenanigans, but the fact that no other faction has a say in government other than Abnegation is deeply flawed and questionable.

We see the flaws in the system – mainly in Dauntless who, even without the twisted sadism and bullying, seem to think that “courage” means “strength” and “bravery” is synonymous with “recklessness”. Even Tris herself has moments of “bravery” which reap more like being a thrill seeker.

Not only does the system fail as a society, it utterly fails in what it was trying to achieve – peace. And that’s not just clear by the plot itself and the conflict that develops; it’s clear from the very moment any faction thinks of another faction. This society has created 5 mutually antagonistic cults who are each sure of their own unique superiority and each of which regard the others with contempt, anger and even hatred (and yes, that includes Abnegation – look at Tris’s father considering leaving Abnegation a betrayal). This system for peace contains the inherent seed of the next conflict precisely because it wasn’t created as a system. Five factions came together each with their own visions for how permanent peace can be maintained – but each of those visions only works if their vision is the ONLY vision. The system wasn’t created to have five factions, the system was created to try and bring these five factions together. They were never meant to work together – but you had five sides with irredeemable disagreements

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 14, 2014 |
I enjoy reading dystopian novels and this is one of the best I have read recently. There are so many reviews of Roth's books, that I hesitate to add another, so I will simply say that this is a well written page turner with tight plot, well developed characters, and a few twists and turns along the way. You will not regret reading this book! ( )
  Al-G | Sep 10, 2014 |

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother,
who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how
strong
her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long
There is one mirror in my house.

In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,770,623 books! | Top bar: Always visible