Divergent (Book 1) by Veronica Roth

Divergent (Book 1) (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Veronica Roth

Member:hefruth
Title:Divergent (Book 1)
Authors:Veronica Roth
Info:
Rating:***

Divergent by Veronica Roth (2011)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    Legend by Marie Lu (Aleana)
    The Moon Dwellers: The Dwellers Saga (Volume 1) by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken (bell7)
    Skylark by Meagan Spooner (reconditereader)
    reconditereader: The opening of Skylark reminds me of some of the scenes with the Dauntless in Divergent. Both are YA dystopia stories.

English (815)  German (5)  Spanish (4)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (830)
Beatrice lives in a society where the most important thing that describes you is your faction. When you turn a certain age you decide who you want to be. Beatrice is scared by this choice. After a life of selflessness she realizes that she has to do something of her own choice. But the choice she made completely changed her life forever. She did something nobody has done for a long time.
I would recommend this book for people who like sic-fi or futuristic books. I would have put all five stars but the writing wasn't that great. I also recommend this book for people who liked The Hunger Games and The Matched series. So overall i really recommend this book. ( )
  GabiJ.G1 | Oct 20, 2014 |
We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.

I first came across Divergent last year (what can I say? I’m always late to the party!) when I heard about the film of it. To tell the truth, it sounded awfully like one of those books which has spawned as a result of The Hunger Games. Now, as I’ve mentioned before, The Hunger Games really wasn’t my bag. I found Katniss incredibly obnoxious at the time and I generally found it pretty predictable. However, I think I brought a lot of prejudice in terms of my expectations of literature and particularly young adult literature at that time. To that end, I’m definitely going to give it another go at some point this year.

But this isn’t about the Hunger Games, this is about Divergent.

I absolutely adored it.

To me, this book is the ultimate “suspend your disbelief” book. No, the world-building doesn’t make a lick of sense. It’s not a 1984 kind of dystopian, in the sense that you can pinpoint areas of that society which are relevant and even comparable to ours. Divergent is the sort of book where you either accept the initial premise for what it is, or you don’t. If you can’t, then you’re probably not going to enjoy the book. That’s not a criticism. There are things, such as The Hunger Games, for which have not been able to suspend my disbelief, but many others have. However, Divergent just grabbed me. It was exactly what I needed to start my year off with: easy to read, well-paced, and just plain fun.

What really sold me on it was Tris. I really loved her. One of the great things about her characterisation is that she finds self-belief pretty rapidly over the course of the novel. Even right at the start, when she’s chosing her faction, she makes a decision based on her own inner compass and for no reason other than that. Too often, female protagonists in young adult novels suffer from either a lack of self-esteem (cf. Cath in Fangirl, which I disliked) or are pigeonholed into the strong action-girl emotionless role (which was my original problem with Katniss, though as I said, it will take a reread to discover whether I still feel the same way). To my mind, Tris is much more well rounded than this. I love that she has obviously negative traits - the impulsiveness that gives way to losing her temper, the cruelty that this engenders - and I love that she has strength in abundance, not just physically but mentally. She makes mistakes, but is pretty accepting of the fact that mistakes happen, and they can be forgiven, both by herself and others. At the same time, she has the tenacity not to forgive what should not be forgiven. She shows her strength to Four, but also allows herself to be vulnerable with him. She tells Four she isn’t pretty, but realises that whether she is or isn’t pretty isn’t the be all and end all of who she is anyway. And she never feels like she should have to apologise for what she is - Divergent - even though she has to hide it for her own safety.

That’s not to say I didn’t have any feelings for the supporting characters either. Four is a pretty decent character. I’d like to see more of what he’s like away from the construct of the Dauntless faction. I sometimes found it a little hard to get a sense of him as a fully realised person but I guess that reflects Tris’s perceptions of him as well. Christina is fantastic - again, she’s another female character who is entirely herself. And Al - the changes in his character were something I could have not predicted. Roth did a very good job of making you feel conflicted over his part in proceedings. If I had one criticism of the characterisation it’s that some of the villains - Eric, Janine, and Marcus in particular - are a bit one-dimensional. Obviously it’s hard to say at this stage whether that will continue to be the case.

Otherwise, the plot was a touch predictable, but I wasn’t really too bothered by that. The breakneck pacing was so good that any of the more straightforward plot points were easily overlooked. Like I said, the world-building is something that will probably be a problem for some people. If you think too hard about the Factions and how this came about and how this world lasted - the whole thing comes a bit unstuck. However, if you can accept that these are the rules and this is how this world is - then it’s a pretty exciting read. It helped me to think of it as a world completely divorced from our Earth, if that helps anyone else at all.

None of these little niggles managed to overcome my enjoyment of this story though. Rarely have I read something that was so unabashedly fun as this. I give Divergent nine out of ten.
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
This is one of my favorite books ever, so there will be spoilers! Beatrice is from Abnegation but she transfers to Dauntless and changes her name to Tris. She's an awesome character. I kind of wish I was more like her.

I LOVE Four! He is fantastic! He's hot,strong, brave, smart, etc. The FourTris scenes in this book were amazing. [spoiler] I also love how Four liked Tris since she arrived at Dauntless. And When he said "I'm getting a little tired waiting for you to catch on." and I was like oh my gosh! He likes her! He likes her! He Likes her!

I also love Tris's friends Christina, Will, Al and Uriah. Cristina is, like, the opposite of Tris. Christina is more outgoing and Tris is kind of keeps to herself at first. Will is one of Tris's best friends, and they sometimes argue about the politics in the factions. I love Will. I ship Will and Christina.

Al is the clumsy, shy guy who cares a lot about Tris. I like Al, I think he's a sweet guy. But out of all of Tris's friends, I love Uriah the most. He's so awesome! I love how he treats Tris like she'd been Dauntless all her life. I love him!

I also like Tori. I think she's a awesome character even though she doesn't do much in this book.

And does anyone else hate Peter? He seriously gets on my nerves.

Well, I said all I wanted to say. ( )
  barbiekait | Oct 16, 2014 |
Divergent by Veronica Roth is, as am I sure you know, the first of the Divergent series. As there are already thousands of blog posts about the book and series, I'm going to veer off from my usual review formula.

The book is set in Chicago — the remains, anyway, of the city after some cataclysmic event destroyed the nation as we know it. Although there's some back story, the big explanations are left to the imagination. The city is divided up by different factions and at a certain age, teenagers are give a test which helps them decide if they stay with their birth faction or if they switch. Then there are the divergent ones and our heroine, Beatrice Prior (aka Tris) is one of them.

And I'm one of them too. See divergent was the term schools used to describe those square peg in the round hole type students. Divergent was the catch all for the students weren't special ed but weren't exactly normal ed either. I was given the divergent tag after passing the school's IQ test with flying colors (but that's a different story for a different post). At the time, I took the label "divergent" as a badge of honor. In Tris's world, it's something to hide, even if secretly she's proud of her status.

Jeremy and Candace as Four and TrisHer being different isn't quite the point of the book. Instead, it's about her learning the ropes of her newly chosen faction, Dauntless. They're the all black wearing, warrior caste, who live in some old gravel pit or something and basically take turns trying to kill each other.

The problem is, as Tris starts earning her keep and the heart of her trainer, Four, I couldn't help but find similarities between Divergent and Phineas and Ferb Beyond the Second Dimension. Tris becomes Candace and Four becomes Jeremy. Just go with it.

The sad fact is, I prefer the Phineas and Ferb movie to Divergent. But I have Insurgent and Allegiant in a lovely box set, and I do plan to read them. ( )
  pussreboots | Oct 13, 2014 |
Divergent is a book set in futuristic Chicago. The city has been ruled by a faction system for centuries. Those who do not pass faction initiation are factionless and forced to live on the streets. The main character is a girl named Beatrice who is conflicted on which faction to join. When the time comes to pick a faction, Beatrice decides to join the Dauntless, a group of people focused on bravery, instead of the faction she was born into, a faction of selfless people called the Abnegation. This starts to change her, little by little, until she has almost completely changed. Eventually, two factions break out into war, the Abnegation, and the intellectual Erudite. Beatrice is faced with many obstacles to overcome, and multiple fears to face.

This book by Veronica Roth is excellent and I would definitely recommend it. The book is very dramatic, and shows the influence one must face and choices one must make. This book has lots of suspense and leaves you wanting more. If you want a dramatic and great book, I would recommend this. The change and pain Beatrice has to embrace makes this a very interesting book. The characters have inner conflict they need to overcome to make it through. The characters are well developed and show change and transformations that each character goes through.

. ( )
  RileyM.g1 | Oct 9, 2014 |

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother,
who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how
strong
her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long
There is one mirror in my house.

In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,392,218 books! | Top bar: Always visible