Divergent (Book 1) by Veronica Roth

Divergent (Book 1) (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Veronica Roth

Member:edspicer
Title:Divergent (Book 1)
Authors:Veronica Roth
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2012), Paperback, 576 pages

Divergent by Veronica Roth (2011)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    The Moon Dwellers by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken (bell7)
    Legend by Marie Lu (Aleana)
    Skylark by Meagan Spooner (reconditereader)
    reconditereader: The opening of Skylark reminds me of some of the scenes with the Dauntless in Divergent. Both are YA dystopia stories.

English (910)  German (5)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (924)
There is a kind of serum between the lines.

The plot is really fast paced making it an easy read.
The concept is interesting, if not entirely believable.
I went between "the book is amazing" being catch by the emotional part of the story,
feeling as would I be one of the characters to "does this make any sense?" ...
There is so much action that you don't have the time to stop and think about it.
I found problematic the use of serums and simulations with no explanation about how and how long it works,
the division into factions, the faction less people and other things...
As I could switch my rational part off and just enjoy the action I couldn't stop to read it.
I imagined that all of this happens in another world where this all could make sense and that all this "human beings" in the story are not like
"human beings" on Earth.
I give it 4 stars because there is something...something that makes you keep reading and ignore your mind or questions
Maybe there is a kind of serum between the lines that makes you flip the pages in a reading frenzy. ( )
  Haidji | Jul 21, 2015 |
Better than the Hunger Games, but didn't really like it anyway. Too predictable, and Tris is basically Katniss. The movie was close to the book at least.
  mateideyr | Jul 17, 2015 |
4.5 stars. Wow! It took some effort from a friend to get me to read this but I am soooo glad that I did! Not my usual thing but a welcome change! Usually I shy aware from fantasy that seems too "smart" for me! It can be very intimidating! LOL! Luckily I was able to catch on quickly with Divergent. Here's my simple-minded synopsis without repeating the entire book, hopefully some of you undecided people who have not read it might give it a try now...bare with me, this is a little long...

Imagine a future where people have become fed up with our government and society. These people begin to divide into groups based on their own theories as to why our problems exist. These groups then adopt a single belief and choose to live their life wholly dedicated to enforcing this belief. After time, five main groups or "factions" are formed.

1- Candor: A group of people who only tell the truth because they feel our problems are because of too many lies.
2- Dauntless: A group of people who are very brave because they feel our problems are due to cowardice.
3- Abnegation: A group of people who are nothing but selfless because they feel our problems are due to selfishness.
4- Amity: A group of people who are peaceful because they feel our problem is too much anger and violence.
5- Erudite: A group of people who are very smart because they feel that our problem is lack of knowledge.

Now these factions work pretty good for a while. They even mandate that every teen on his or her 16th birthday must take an aptitude test to discover which group they naturally fall into. Each can choose a new group based on their results and live in their true nature or they can decide to stay with the group they were raised but they must choose one and forever assimilate to that way of life. Having no group or being "factionless" is a horrible thing that includes being voiceless, living in poverty and working lowly jobs.

(BTW, based on the test examples in the book, I would have tested Dauntless which I think is interesting!)

A clear benefit to these factions is that everyone has only one value so it's easy for their leaders to predict actions and control their followers. But what happens when a person doesn't fit into just one belief? What if this person is smart, selfless and brave? What if this person is not the only one? What if these hidden people are able to see the flaws and corruption in the faction system and can secretly convince others to stand up against it. We quickly learn that faction leaders would see these people as a serious threat...the Divergent!

I hope that all makes sense and does the story justice! I really liked this book. Good food for thought! There is even a little romance in there which is enough to satisfy my requirement! There are some very heartbreaking moments, ass kicking moments, moments I wanted to strangle people and even a little swoon time, too! I'm already reading book 2! I really recommend this series! Try it! You know you want too! :) ( )
1 vote GwendolynGrace | Jul 15, 2015 |
Loved the film, and with the Insurgent movie coming out soon I figured I would try and get the books read before I see it!

The book is brilliant, and it's nice that the film as I remember it is so true to what's written.

Looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

Five stars ( )
1 vote chimocho | Jul 7, 2015 |
This book was pure genious! A fast paced, well written Dystopian novel. I couldn't read it fast enough. I found myself captivated by the strong willed, independent heroine. Those are the heroines I look forward to when I read. This book tells us that we should never comform to anything. We are free to choose. ( )
1 vote | Jul 1, 2015 | edit |

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother,
who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how
strong
her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long
There is one mirror in my house.

In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,420,397 books! | Top bar: Always visible