Divergent (Book 1) by Veronica Roth

Divergent (Book 1) (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Veronica Roth

Member:edspicer
Title:Divergent (Book 1)
Authors:Veronica Roth
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2012), Paperback, 576 pages

Divergent by Veronica Roth (2011)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    The Moon Dwellers by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken (bell7)
    Legend by Marie Lu (Aleana)
    Skylark by Meagan Spooner (reconditereader)
    reconditereader: The opening of Skylark reminds me of some of the scenes with the Dauntless in Divergent. Both are YA dystopia stories.

English (863)  German (5)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (877)
It is a really nice book.Fast paced and quite exciting.It is a thrilling experience. ( )
  durgaprsd04 | Feb 25, 2015 |
I only got to page 80. There just wasn't enough meat to hold me. By meat I mean character development and descriptive details. Usually you see less of that in YA books but this one was just bare bones, and thin bones at that. No real understanding of who the character is, and the descriptions of the individual events weren't drawn well enough to hold my interest until the character really began to develop. And by page 80, one of those things should be well enough drawn to pull readers forward...that wasn't the case here. ( )
  Laine-Cunningham | Feb 22, 2015 |
Veronica Roth’s dystopia is based on a premise that warring mankind might try to resolve their issues by stressing the benefits of a small subset of virtues. But, of course, as human beings we’re all too good as stressing faults as well, and a society that’s supposed to have eliminated conflict seethes with problems underneath.

Beatrice is a child of Abnegation, brought up from birth to look to others’ needs before her own. Her perfect brother Caleb is a prime example of abnegating youth, but Beatrice's interests tend more toward those rebelliously exciting Dauntless youth. When the choosing comes, she just might not do as her parents expect. But how will a short, fairly ordinary, self-effacing young woman cope in the trials of the not necessarily virtuous valiant?

The novel takes supposed virtues and looks at the vices they might hide. It reveals a seemingly perfect world, through the eyes of a convincing protagonist, and turns it on its side. And it offers readers that enticing glimpse of dystopia behind the present day, rebellion in the making, with simple answers proving inadequate. It’s a well-paced novel with well-placed introspection, increasing levels of action and danger, and a cool and scary ending. Maybe there are more important things than obedience, passing tests, and fitting in. And yes, I’m going to read more of this series; when almost perfect breaks, what happens next?

Disclosure: I’ve not seen the movie, but I’d seen the books, and the premise seemed intriguing, so I asked for them for Christmas. I’m glad I did. ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Feb 18, 2015 |
GREAT series! ( )
  KarenKimsey | Feb 16, 2015 |
At first, I was worried that this book would be too much like the other dystopian books I had read beforehand. Boy was I wrong! Veronica Roth has created this whole new future for us that catches your attention from the beginning. I loved the underlying romance as well as Tris' journey throughout the book. This definitely was worth reading! ( )
  stellarkateness | Feb 16, 2015 |

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother,
who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how
strong
her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long
There is one mirror in my house.

In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,770,365 books! | Top bar: Always visible