Divergent (Book 1) by Veronica Roth

Divergent (Book 1) (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Veronica Roth

Member:Supera710
Title:Divergent (Book 1)
Authors:Veronica Roth
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2012), Paperback, 576 pages

Divergent by Veronica Roth (2011)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    The Moon Dwellers by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken (bell7)
    Legend by Marie Lu (Aleana)
    Skylark by Meagan Spooner (reconditereader)
    reconditereader: The opening of Skylark reminds me of some of the scenes with the Dauntless in Divergent. Both are YA dystopia stories.

English (873)  German (5)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (887)
This has got to be one of my favourite books of all time.

In this dystopian setting, the world that remains is split into five factions, dependent on their personality and lifestyle. At the age of sixteen all young people must choose a faction to live in, they can choose the one they were brought in, or abandon their family and join a different faction. Beatrice knows she is not like her family, and her decision is between leaving them and being true to herself.

Beatrice is part of one of the most physically demanding factions, and in order to be initiated she has to undergo rigorous training. Will she be able to survive, when for the last sixteen years she has been part of a faction that preaches peace and positivity? Beatrice will have to fight with every part of her, in order to convince everyone she was put in the right faction.

Ahhh I love this book so much! It hooked me from the moment I picked it up and I could barely put it down! It’s so exciting, and fascinating and wonderful. The plot is great, it’s super fast paced and there’s tons going on – Tris is fighting to survive in a cut-throat world, as well as protect her own secrets, and deal with her romantic feelings. Tris is a very layered and complex character, and I just love her. She’s smart and stubborn and just everything a protagonist should be.

The thing I really appreciated about Divergent was that it’s unlike anything I’ve read before. It’s action-packed, but also deals with corruption, politics, relationships and how we view ourselves – a lot for a four hundred page book right?

The world building is okay – I did feel there could have been more insight into why the world was set up as it was, but as there are more books to come that might come later. Dystopian novels are currently on the increase, but I think it’s safe to say this is one of the best. The writing is very smooth, and it is so easy to get lost in the story.

The most enjoyable thing about Divergent is that it keeps you wanting more. It’s a real page-turner, gripping and exciting. It’s got great characters, a fantastic plot and excellent writing. If you haven’t read it yet, it should be top of your to be read pile. ( )
  ColeReadsBooks | Mar 25, 2015 |
Tris is born into one of the five factions, Abnegation. On the special choosing day for every 16 year old, Tris is struggling on which to chose her own faction or dauntless which she has always dreamed of being in. tris ends up in dauntless where there training is harsh. Tris has to master her fears and learn how to fight and use weapons. Tris gets a weird visit from her mom and other inside people who know about her specialness and how she is a divergent. When her mom tells her to to tell her brother to look up whats in the serum for the test of the choosing Tris ask her brother. Her bother belongs to the faction that is making fun of Tris is old faction. They also want to rules the new places. THen the faction makes their army with the dauntless who are fearless fighters so they can kill the abnegation. Tris and her boyfriend are immune to this mind control because their divergents. At the End tris escapes with some of her family to the other faction that grows the food far away from the corrupted city.
It was a good book ,but got very confusing at some parts. then it wasn't any involvement of two factions but overall it was a ok book. ( )
  anthonyh.B1 | Mar 23, 2015 |
Enjoyed this more as a book than a film. My imagination was better with the scenes where they were delving into the mind and its fears. Not as gripping as Mockingjay but an enjoyable read nonetheless. ( )
  libgirl69 | Mar 23, 2015 |
Veronica Roth has a knack for creating edge-of-your-seat suspense, however she does not stray from the young adult, dystopian formula: a new regime emerges in a crumbled America and divides everyone into some type of faction. After birth, people are put through a testing to figure out which faction they belong in--except some are...divergent. The two main divergents--Beatrice and Tobias--struggle to build a relationship amidst the chaos and danger (think Bella and Edward). ( )
  Steve.Gourley | Mar 22, 2015 |
In the dystopian future of Chicago, where society is split into five different groups, or factions, sixteen year olds must make a decision about which faction they want to spend the rest of their lives in. For many, this is a simple choice. The aptitude tests they take show which faction they are best suited to - Abnegation for the selfless, Candor for the honest, Amity for the peaceful, Erudite for the intelligent and Dauntless for the brave. But for Beatrice Prior (Tris), her aptitude test causes more problems than it solves. She has aptitude for more than one of the factions. She is Divergent. And Divergent is dangerous. Faced with the knowledge that there are people in her society that want to get rid of her, Tris leaves her home faction to find out where she fits in.
The initiation process for the Dauntless faction is merciless, but Tris survives it with help from instructor, Four, who seems torn between protecting her and pushing Tris to her limits. However, a bigger problem looms over Dauntless, throwing Tris headfirst into a civil war, where her Divergent talents make her a target.
I found the concept of being persecuted for your identity fascinating in this book, as it's especially pertinent to us in our current society, where people who have an identity (be it gender or religious identity or a person's sexuality) that doesn't conform to people's idea of normal are often persecuted. The fact that it comes from Tris - a seemingly average female narrator - makes the statement all the more relevant to me, as it shows that anyone can be targeted for how they identify themselves.
The details of the story surrounding the Dauntless initiation is something that really added to the whole experience of reading the book, because it gave the scenes another level of depth. A prime example of this was the simplistic scientific scenes before Tris' fear training, and the vivid scenes that followed while she was trapped inside her head living her fears.
Tris' narration was brilliant to read, and I found the emotions she showed throughout the story pretty realistic coming from a teenage girl. Her relationships with the other initiates is another thing that I think was portrayed really well and was representative of teenage friendships with a twist on them, accounting for brutality of the situation at times throughout the book. The budding romance between Tris and Four appealed to me as it was quite a relationship between the teacher and student. Overall I loved the book, and would recommend it to people who liked books such as 'The Hunger Games' by Suzanne Collins and 'Uglies' by Scott Westerfeld. ( )
  Jie_Zhou | Mar 22, 2015 |

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother,
who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how
strong
her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long
There is one mirror in my house.

In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,141,415 books! | Top bar: Always visible