Divergent (Book 1) by Veronica Roth

Divergent (Book 1) (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Veronica Roth

Member:Supera710
Title:Divergent (Book 1)
Authors:Veronica Roth
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2012), Paperback, 576 pages

Divergent by Veronica Roth (2011)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana, frankiejones)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    The Moon Dwellers by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    burners by Bob Mayer (LongDogMom)
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (Morteana)
    Skylark (The Skylark Trilogy) by Meagan Spooner (reconditereader)
    reconditereader: The opening of Skylark reminds me of some of the scenes with the Dauntless in Divergent. Both are YA dystopia stories.
    Legend by Marie Lu (Aleana)

English (1,104)  German (6)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (3)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All (1,121)
I started and finished in one day because i just couldn't put it down. I have an inkling for good reading material no matter what the genre. I seem to always be reading and that leads to wonderful discoveries like in Veronica Roth's novels. ( )
  RinHanase | Mar 11, 2017 |
Loved this book!! ( )
  Maggie.Chavarria | Mar 6, 2017 |
Summary: Beatrice belongs to a utopian society where once teens turn 16, they will take a test to find out what faction to belong to. Upon taking the test, Tris sees that she doesn’t belong to any of the 4 factions, but belongs to a secret faction. She sees things that others cannot see, thus she is a Divergent. This is a new journey for Tris, and throughout this journey, Tris meets new friends who fall into the same category as her.

Personal Response: A few years ago I read The Hunger Games trilogy, and I hated them. I felt that the story became so skewed that the author forgot the main story in the first place. I thought I would give this series a try because I’ve heard great things about it. I was pleasantly surprised with how this first novel went. It was eventful and exciting the whole way.

Curriculum Connection: Utopian novels are very popular these days, so this novel would satisfy the needs of those students who like this genre of books. ( )
  Lisette25 | Feb 26, 2017 |
At the Choosing Ceremony, Beatrice Prior changes her Faction from Abnegation (selfless) to Dauntless (brave) and has to leave her family behind to tackle a whole new reality, one that will soon bring her back in touch with those she has left behind. The whole thing is entertaining, albeit derivative and somewhat trope-heavy. The characters are what you expect and the world building is good, but the premise beggars belief - it's not really understandable how the division between the five factions was decided or how those particular traits were picked. It is still engaging and the audiobook reader, Emma Galvin, does a great job with the voices. The novels are short and as the trilogy is finished, I'll listen to the other books too. ( )
  -Eva- | Feb 22, 2017 |
Great series! ( )
  annabw | Feb 21, 2017 |
Cliques writ large take over in the first of a projected dystopian trilogy.

“Divergent” holds its own in the genre, with brisk pacing, lavish flights of imagination and writing that occasionally startles with fine detail.

Loved this book!!

Roth, Veronicaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother,
who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how
strong
her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long
There is one mirror in my house.

In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,241,898 books! | Top bar: Always visible