Divergent (Book 1) by Veronica Roth

Divergent (Book 1) (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Veronica Roth

Member:Supera710
Title:Divergent (Book 1)
Authors:Veronica Roth
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2012), Paperback, 576 pages

Divergent by Veronica Roth (2011)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana, frankiejones)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    The Moon Dwellers by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    burners by Bob Mayer (LongDogMom)
    The Republic by Plato (Guanhumara)
    Guanhumara: The original author of the idea of a society where citizens are sorted into roles based on aptitude, ruled by those who renounce all luxury and devote their lives to serving the well-being of their fellow-citizens...
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (Morteana)
    The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken (bell7)

English (1,126)  German (6)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (3)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All (1,143)
was an excellent 1st novel ( )
  longhorndaniel | Jul 19, 2017 |
  Samantha_D | Jul 16, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this book. More than I was expecting to considering all the hype it gets. Only thing I really have against it is how predictable the "big reveals" were. As soon as they were introduced, I knew what was going to be the reveal. And the MC was smart enough to put two and two together for them.

As long as that part of Roth's writing gets a bit stronger for the next book, I think I'll be happy to keep going. I'm excited to give Insurgent and try and then follow that up with Allegiant. I have to see what fans were disappointed in (and see if my predictions for that book were right). ( )
  Robert.Zimmermann | Jul 1, 2017 |
Much better than I thought it would be. Futuristic story about a new society divided into 5 Factions. Each Faction has a different posture on what makes a society strong or weak. Beatrice Prior, at the age of 16 makes a choice as all teens do, to either sayt in her faction for the rest of her life or switch factions, thus leaving her birth family and all firends behind, eventually cutting all ties with her prior faction. After switching factions, Beatrice takes a new name, Tris, and starts on a new life very different from what she is use to. Each are given a rigorous tests to help each teen make an informed decision. Tris and her fellow faction-members have to live through a highly competitive initiation process to live out the choice they have made. They must undergo extreme physical and intense psychological tests, that transform them all. But Tris has a secret that she is Divergent, which means she doesn't fit into any one group. If anyone knew, it would mean a certain death. As she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly peaceful society, this secret might help her save the people she loves... or it might destroy her. ( )
  gaillamontagne | Jun 28, 2017 |
Listened to audiobook and loved every minute. I'm actually really sick of the dystopian thing in YA fiction and was worried that I would be just as annoyed with thi book. I don't know that I would say it's the most unique and mind-blowing read ever, but I did really enjoy it. The one thing that I just could not understand or relate to was the virtue Beatrice chose to align herself with. That seemed awful to me. I'm really looking forward to reading the next installment! ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |

Roth, Veronicaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother,
who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how
strong
her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long
There is one mirror in my house.

In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,045,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible