Divergent (Book 1) by Veronica Roth

Divergent (Book 1) (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Veronica Roth

Member:Supera710
Title:Divergent (Book 1)
Authors:Veronica Roth
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2012), Paperback, 576 pages

Divergent by Veronica Roth (2011)

Recently added byzuzene, BookHavenAZ, amylou9195, nams55, bookwyrm_babe, afrenchreader, maya121, private library
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana, frankiejones)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    The Moon Dwellers by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    burners by Bob Mayer (LongDogMom)
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (Morteana)
    Skylark (The Skylark Trilogy) by Meagan Spooner (reconditereader)
    reconditereader: The opening of Skylark reminds me of some of the scenes with the Dauntless in Divergent. Both are YA dystopia stories.
    Legend by Marie Lu (Aleana)

English (1,109)  German (6)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (3)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All (1,126)
Everybody us making a big deal about this book, so I was a little afraid I would be disappointed with it. I was mostly correct. It's not a bad book by any means. It's just that of all the YA dystopian books I've read, this is definitely not near the top of my list of favorites, and wouldn't be my choice for a movie adaptation. ( )
  brideofsevenless | Apr 18, 2017 |
A female named Beatrice prior must choose between 5 factions, but wants to make her family happy. She ends up choosing the Dauntless and later finds out that her mother came from that faction. Beatrice is going through training to see if she can make the cut for the Dauntless and meets four, an instructor for the Dauntless. When she goes through a fear scape she finds out that she is actually divergent, which is a faction that can conquer the serum that the Erudite put in the dauntless. When the training is done the Erudite take over the Dauntless and decide to attack the Abnegation, because of false information. Tris is then forced to act like she is being controlled by the serum. When she gets to abnegation base she then tries to stop the Erudite. She the gets captured and almost drowns but her mother saves her, but when they escape tris' mother dies. Tris finally escapes to a bunker where she finds her father which then dies trying to save Tris. It is a very sad book but also very interesting. I recommend
  Landonl.B4 | Apr 10, 2017 |
A female named Beatrice prior must choose between 5 factions, but wants to make her family happy. She ends up choosing the Dauntless and later finds out that her mother came from that faction. Beatrice is going through training to see if she can make the cut for the Dauntless and meets Four, an instructor for the Dauntless. When she goes through a fear scape she finds out that she is actually divergent, which is a faction that can conquer the serum that the Erudite put in the dauntless. When the training is done the Erudite take over the Dauntless and decide to attack the Abnegation, because of false information. Tris is then forced to act like she is being controlled by the serum. When she gets to abnegation base she then tries to stop the Erudite. She the gets captured and almost drowns but her mother saves her, but when they escape tris' mother dies. Tris finally escapes to a bunker where she finds her father which then dies trying to save Tris. It is a very sad book but also very interesting. I recommend. ( )
  Landon.B4 | Mar 30, 2017 |
Beatrice Prior writes a YA dystopian novel where society is divided into five different factions - honest, selfless, brave, peaceful and intelligent. While difficult to explain exactly why the world is this way shouldn't be an impediment to actually enjoying the book.

And I did enjoy the book - although I'm not quite sure why. Her writing isn't terrific, the society she describes is difficult to believe in, but she has pushed the right buttons - small girl overcomes odds and becomes leader - that appeals to me.

To be honest I'm reading this because my 16 year old daughter is reading this - and I wanted to see what she is reading. She loves Harry Potter and the Hunger Games and because of her I've read those books as well. These books aren't as good as those two series because the world creation isn't as believable.

Regardless, I'll probably read the last two of the series just to see what happens - and I guess that means it was more successful than I give it credit for. ( )
  bhuesers | Mar 29, 2017 |
I started and finished in one day because i just couldn't put it down. I have an inkling for good reading material no matter what the genre. I seem to always be reading and that leads to wonderful discoveries like in Veronica Roth's novels. ( )
  RinHanase | Mar 11, 2017 |
Cliques writ large take over in the first of a projected dystopian trilogy.

“Divergent” holds its own in the genre, with brisk pacing, lavish flights of imagination and writing that occasionally startles with fine detail.

Loved this book!!

Roth, Veronicaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother,
who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how
strong
her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long
There is one mirror in my house.

In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,764,273 books! | Top bar: Always visible