Divergent (Book 1) by Veronica Roth

Divergent (Book 1) (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Veronica Roth

Member:Supera710
Title:Divergent (Book 1)
Authors:Veronica Roth
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2012), Paperback, 576 pages

Divergent by Veronica Roth (2011)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana, frankiejones)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    The Moon Dwellers by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    burners by Bob Mayer (LongDogMom)
    The Republic by Plato (Guanhumara)
    Guanhumara: The original author of the idea of a society where citizens are sorted into roles based on aptitude, ruled by those who renounce all luxury and devote their lives to serving the well-being of their fellow-citizens...
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (Morteana)
    The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken (bell7)

English (1,114)  German (6)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (3)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All (1,131)
There are a handful of young adult books that can make the crossover to adult reading...

...this isn't one of them. That isn't to say it isn't worth a read, but it is not all that original, with shallow, thin characters and really seemed aimed at 12 year olds rather than young adults.

I don't like dystopian novels,so why read this? Well, I got an email from Half Price Books that it was their book club choice. As I had read hunger Games, I thought, "Why not?" In addition to the dystopian thing, I also had to get over my dislike for present tense style, but that wasn't as hard as I thought. And like when I read Hunger Games, until about two thirds through, I really thought I wouldn't bother with the sequel.

I hope that, unlike HG, the sequels don't go down, because there isn't far to go. I guess I can see why someone would want to make a movie of the book - not very deep, potential for lots of action, simple character interactions. And easier to adapt than HG.

Two stars for being an okay one day read. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
My grandson loves this series so I decided to read it. It was good, but is clearly aimed at late adolescent teens. It is relatively standard dystooian fare much like The Hunger Games. I still enjoy keeping up with a few of the current, popular adolescent science fiction novels. ( )
  bness2 | May 23, 2017 |
This was, for me, one of those books that chews you up and spits you out as something different. I read it in two sittings, then I read it again because I just had to. ( )
  ChaosCaitlin | May 23, 2017 |
4.5/5 (Physical & Audio books)

Another book that I truly enjoyed! But, to be honest, if I were reading this book without the audio, I don't know if I would have been able to finish it..especially this quickly. There were many boring parts for me and kind of drawn out but still, there was a lot of action! And that's what would have made it a 5/5, but because of the boring moments, I took off a 1/2 a star.

My favorite characters were Four/Tobias, Beatrice/Tris. Christina and Will. For more reasons than I can name. There were some things I didn't like about some of the likable characters. I Didn't like the fact that when Tris was showing her stronger side, Will and Christina became flipsy with her, but when she was showing weakness, they were fine And how could I forget Uriah! He was with her regardless of who she was! And the fact Tobias saw the stronger side and pushed her to show it, but was also honest enough with her to know to tell her how to respond to certain people.

My least favorites of course were Peter & Eric! Ugh! I was wanting so many times for someone to just beat the crap out of both of them! I love how Tris was able to grow into who she was meant to be throughout the whole story. And she began to see who her true friends were to her even though she loved all of her friends but knew who to trust and who to hold back with.

I will be going on to Insurgent and hopefully I will enjoy it as much if not more than Divergent but I won't get my hopes up. When I tend to love the first book more than expected, I tend not to like the others. So we will see.

Audio Book:
I loved the Narrator, Emma Galvin, she read all the parts the way I personally felt she should have! She was amazing! I believe she reads for Insurgent too so I hope to get that book soon. ( )
  obridget2 | May 14, 2017 |
I listened to this on audiobook. I was disappointed -- it was a much inferior Hunger Games type YA dystopian novel. Nice to read and know what kids are reading and liking, but I would not push it first. ( )
  ChristianR | May 2, 2017 |

Roth, Veronicaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother,
who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how
strong
her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long
There is one mirror in my house.

In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,522,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible