Divergent (Book 1) by Veronica Roth

Divergent (Book 1) (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Veronica Roth

Member:Supera710
Title:Divergent (Book 1)
Authors:Veronica Roth
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2012), Paperback, 576 pages

Divergent by Veronica Roth (2011)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana, frankiejones)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (Morteana)
    The Moon Dwellers by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    Anthem by Ayn Rand (shesinplainview)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (shesinplainview)
    burners by Bob Mayer (LongDogMom)

English (1,105)  German (5)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (3)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All (1,121)
I loved it and couldn't put it down just like everyone said I would do. I can't wait to watch the film version. And I'm on to book two now.

I liked how the book showed the faults in the characters and faults in certain beliefs.
Also the idea that people like someone more who isn't a threat to them and their glory.

I was impressed with Tris. She showed a great mix of the right traits.
And Tobias is wonderful.

This book would be great for a discussion. There are many, many points that could be made if I wanted to take the time. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |

I was impressed with Tris. She showed a great mix of the right traits.
And Tobias is wonderful.

ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
Voy a dejar de lado la discusión sobre si el mundo que nos presenta Divergent es susceptible de suceder, o siquiera posible. En esos libros de sociedades distópicas mi regla es comprarme el mundo que me plantean y partir de ahí. Así que por muy poco creíble he me parezca que hayan 5 facciones en que se divide a la gente basada en UNA característica de personalidad, ese es el mundo que nos presenta la autora y listo.

También hubo un par de cosas que no me calzaron mucho con lo que te habían relatado con anterioridad, y descripciones de escenas que me parecían incompletas, pero nada que fuera tan terrible que me impidiera leer o que me enojara.

Sin perjuicio de todo eso, le doy 5 estrellas a este libro porque nunca me aburrió, me tuvo interesada desde el principio, los personajes eran entretenidos, había muchísima acción, hay un cabrito en particular que me sacó más de un suspiro y la protagonista era una mina inteligente, que aunque uno no siempre estuviera de acuerdo con sus decisiones, siempre era dueña de las cosas que pasaban, nunca es un personaje pasivo, tomaba decisiones, se arriesgaba, y "movía" el libro. El final me tenía sacándome el pelo del puro nerviosismo y pucha que es rico cuando un libro te hace eso. ( )
  Danyspike | Jan 13, 2017 |
amazing i have to read the next one ( )
  jordanakaforever | Jan 13, 2017 |
Divergent is a good book if you like something like the hunger games. Its about Tris(main character) becoming a Dauntless and trying to survive the training while also hiding the fact that shes divergent. Tris meets Four and he finds out shes divergent, four helps her keep the fact that she is divergent and they end up falling in love. I recommend this book for people who love some good action and romance ( )
  TiffanyKhuu | Jan 6, 2017 |
“Divergent” holds its own in the genre, with brisk pacing, lavish flights of imagination and writing that occasionally startles with fine detail.

Cliques writ large take over in the first of a projected dystopian trilogy.
added by wifilibrarian | editKirkus Reviews (May 3, 2011)

Roth, Veronicaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother,
who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how
strong
her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long
There is one mirror in my house.

In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,652,296 books! | Top bar: Always visible