Divergent (Book 1) by Veronica Roth

Divergent (Book 1) (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Veronica Roth

11,0281019255 (4.08)670
Member:Supera710
Title:Divergent (Book 1)
Authors:Veronica Roth
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2012), Paperback, 576 pages

Divergent by Veronica Roth (2011)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    The Moon Dwellers by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    burners by Bob Mayer (LongDogMom)
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (Morteana)
    Skylark by Meagan Spooner (reconditereader)
    reconditereader: The opening of Skylark reminds me of some of the scenes with the Dauntless in Divergent. Both are YA dystopia stories.
    Legend by Marie Lu (Aleana)

English (998)  German (5)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (1,014)
Divergent is my favourite YA book. EVER! I had this sitting on my shelf for a long time before I read it until one day I was sick off work picked it up at random and a few hours later I'd finished it. It had gripped me, thrilled me, ripped my heart out and I loved every freakin second of it! I kicked myself for not having picked it up before. I loved the characters of Tris and Four (*whispers* Four the most but who can blame me)and in my heart I'm Dauntless! Divergent is the kind of book Hunger Games wishes it could have been. I have also made it recquired reading for my book club girls who also love it. I can't wait for allegiant to come out and also devastated it's in the middle of my holiday so I'll have to wait till I get home to read it. It doesn't matter how old you are, what your taste in books is it just isn't possible not to utterly love this series. Here's hoping the movie does it justice. ( )
  Rogue-Phoenix | Feb 12, 2016 |
I didn't expect to, but I really loved this book. The complexities of the story and the dystopian world build as the book goes along. At the beginning I was "take it or leave it", but I became literally hooked. Enough was left open-ended for me to question the rules of the world that the author created. Time and again I was surprised, and now, I'm left wanting more. Excellent! ( )
  bjoelle5 | Feb 10, 2016 |
Exhilarating. Thrilling. Intelligent. Enough clues were dropped to make guessing fun (and sometimes I guessed right), but there were too many unexpected turns for the story to become predictable. Interesting and believable characters and good character development. ( )
  benderca | Feb 8, 2016 |
YA distopia strikes again! I quite enjoyed this, found the ideas of the factions interesting, if a little similar to the houses and the choosing hat from Harry Potter. A quick, fun read. ( )
  Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |
Love me some dystopic YA, and this is a good one! Really 4.5 stars, but still a fast-paced, intense ride. It kept me up LATE and made me want to lock myself in a room and ignore my family in order to read it. Fans of The Hunger Games and the Razorland books by Ann Aguirre will enjoy this one. Looking forward to the next installment. ( )
1 vote chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother,
who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how
strong
her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long
There is one mirror in my house.

In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,168,908 books! | Top bar: Always visible