Othello by William Shakespeare

Othello

by William Shakespeare

English (83)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All (1)  Dutch (1)  All (94)
Othello, believing the report of the lying Iago, believes his wife Desdemona was unfaithful to him. Much of the evidence rests on a handkerchief. It's definitely sad as are most tragedies. Sadly there are far too many people who tell lies with consequences just as devastating as the ones in this play. It also shows the consequences of jealousy. ( )
  thornton37814 | Mar 7, 2017 |
Another great tragedy from the Bard, part of a streak of stunning drama from his later years. It is very easy to follow – especially compared to my last Shakespeare experience, King Lear – with a very focused and contained plot. Iago is one of Shakespeare's straightest villains (as opposed to an anti-hero), and his presence dominates the play much more than the titular Othello. I was not often convinced of the affection between Othello and Desdemona – we never see the two of them together for any length of time, baring their souls in embrace as we do for, say, Romeo and Juliet – but Othello's jealousy ("the green-eyed monster" (pg. 82)) is extremely vivid and white-hot.

A lot is made nowadays of the inter-racial romance between the black Moor, Othello, and Desdemona, the fair noblewoman with skin like alabaster (pg. 121), but this is in truth only a small part of the play. It is an interesting part, especially for our modern politically-correct culture and its obsession with race relations, but Iago's distaste of Othello can just as easily be put down to Machiavellian manoeuvring as much as racism. The play Othello resolves itself in classic vengeance plotting and anguished love: it is cold, green jealousy that drives the play, not black and white.

Indeed, the play seemed more modern to me not for the racial stuff but because a lot of the harm caused in the play – from all major characters, but particularly Iago – comes from defamation. (Ironically, it is the slanderous Iago who says: "Who steals my purse, steals trash… But he that filches from me my good name/Robs me of that which not enriches him/And makes me poor indeed." (pg. 82)). In our shout-down, zero-sum, Twitter-mob society, it is the slurs and tunnel-vision and emotionally-charged misunderstandings of Othello which resonate with me. But regardless of what stands out for you, Shakespeare once again leaves a great wealth of things for us to unpick. ( )
  MikeFutcher | Feb 15, 2017 |
Iago has to be one of the nastiest villains in all of literature. Good, old, Honest Iago. In a matter of hours, he takes a happily married man and a successful general and turns him into a jealous, vengeful caricature of his former self. Iago uses innuendo to sow the seeds of distrust, then sits back to watch what he's set in motion. When it looks like things are straying off course, a gentle nudge from Iago keeps things moving in the direction he's set. I'd love to believe that people like Iago exist only in fiction, but I fear that there are too many Iagos in the halls of power, intent on corrupting any whose nature is too trusting. ( )
  cbl_tn | Feb 11, 2017 |
Review: Othello by William Shakespeare.

Some readers have a hard time understanding what Shakespeare writes. As for myself I give myself time to get into the story or play because even reading the first ten pages sometimes doesn’t describe his intent or motivation behind the story. I believe he is a great writer of masterpieces created by his vision of opportunity and authenticity.

Othello is a person who is not hard to interrupt. He is a black man and some readers think the issue is racism but that’s not the issue Shakespeare is contending. As you read on you will see that Othello’s flaw is his pride and jealousy. There are several issues acted out throughout the story which keeps the reader focused in many revelations as Othello is manipulated along the way.

Othello, a black general marries Desdemona, a white senator’s daughter who is disturbed by this marriage and thinks his daughter was taken advantage of but his daughter soon tells him she is in love with Othello. So, there is nothing that Senator Brabantio can do about the arrangement and he goes away feeling betrayed.

Than Othello begins to feel he has been cheated out of money and confronts Iago, one of his militant soldier’s and master villain in the story, and Iago weasels is way out of the issue in a cunning way. Othello believes Iago is an honest and trusting friend. However, Iago is a well portrayed villain who lies, and manipulates remarkably throughout this play. Why Othello doesn’t see though this person is unsettling to the audience. As the story goes on Iago gets more devious as each scene moves on. Now his plans are to turn Othello against his wife by planting her handkerchief in another soldier’s room. The person is Lieutenant Cassion another soldier of the militant has no idea what Iago’s evil mind can invoke until later in the play. Cassion does find the handkerchief but has no idea whose it is and why it was in his room. However, Iago who makes his wife steal the handkerchief makes sure Cassion is seen carrying it in his hand for others to see.

Iago goes back to Othello and cleverly starts relaying slowly the infidelity of Othello’s wife which is not true. Little by little he has Othello believing his wife has betrayed him for another man. Othello has an escalated jealousy streak and Iago plays on that flaw. It didn’t take long for Othello to make plans to kill his wife. Could he hurt Desdemona, he hesitates but believes she shall not live. A great tragedy takes place which Shakespeare creates as the ending of his play. I believe Othello was not the main character here, I believe it was Iago…… ( )
  Juan-banjo | Feb 7, 2017 |
Likely my favourite of Shakespeare's plays that I have read so far. Iago was a character I loved to hate, and I am glad that most of the play was written from his point of view as the antagonist as opposed to following Othello as the protagonist. And, of course, Shakespeare included many witty lines and undertones that increased my overall enjoyment of the play significantly. ( )
  sasta | Feb 1, 2017 |

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Was inspired by

Inspired

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

O (2001IMDb)
Never tell me; I take it much unkindly
That thou, Iago, who hast had my purse
As if the strings were thine, shouldst know of this.
Trifles light as air
Are to the jealous confirmations strong
As proofs of holy writ;
O, beware, my lord, of jealousy!
It is the green-eyed monster, which doth mock
The meat it feeds on. That cuckold lives in bliss
Who, certain of his fate, loves not his wronger;
But O, what damned minutes tells he o'er
Who dotes, yet doubts, suspects, yet strongly loves!
Not poppy, nor mandragora,
Nor all the drowsy syrups of the world,
Shall ever medicine thee to that sweet sleep
Which thou owedst yesterday.
Reputation
is an idle and most false imposition; oft got without merit
and lost without deserving.
Good name in man and woman, dear my lord,
Is the immediate jewel of their souls.
Who steals my purse steals trash; 'tis something, nothing;
'Twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands;
But he that filches from me my good name
Robs me of that which not enriches him
And makes me poor indeed.
This work is for the COMPLETE Othello only. Do not combine abridgements, adaptations (graphic or otherwise), modernizations and simplifications (such as "Shakespeare Made Easy"), Cliffs Notes or similar study guides, or videorecordings of performances with this work. Please separate any that you find here.

As should go without saying, please also do not combine this with any other play or combination of plays, or any of its many adaptations (audio, video, reworking, etc.).
Norton Critical Editions contain a sigificant amount of commentary and additional material along with the core text, thus, they are considered separate works. Please do not combine with the play.
[R.L. 8.4]
One of the most often staged of all of Shakespeare's plays, this is a tale of love and betrayal, secrets, passions, and intrigue. Psychology and wit pit strength and virtue against jealousy and evil agendas. The results leave no winners, only tragedy.
Self-hating black man
Goes medieval on blonde wife
OJ's fav'rite book?
(citygirl)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743477553, Mass Market Paperback)

Each edition includes:

• Freshly edited text based on the best early printed version of the play

• Full explanatory notes conveniently placed on pages facing the text of the play

• Scene-by-scene plot summaries

• A key to famous lines and phrases

• An introduction to reading Shakespeare's language

• An essay by an outstanding scholar providing a modern perspective on the play

• Illustrations from the Folger Shakespeare Library's vast holdings of rare books

Essay by Susan Snyder

The Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, D.C., is home to the world's largest collection of Shakespeare's printed works, and a magnet for Shakespeare scholars from around the globe. In addition to exhibitions open to the public throughout the year, the Folger offers a full calendar of performances and programs. For more information, visit www.folger.edu.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:38 -0400)

Folger Shakespeare Library is the world's leading center for Shakespeare studies. Each edition includes: freshly edited text based on the best early printed version of the play; full explanatory notes conveniently placed on pages facing the text of the play; scene-by-scene plot summaries; a key to famous lines and phrases; an introduction to reading Shakespeare's language; an essay by an outstanding scholar providing a modern perspective on the play; illustrations from the Folger Shakespeare Library's vast holdings of rare books. Essay by Susan Snyder. The Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, D.C., is home to the world's largest collection of Shakespeare's printed works, and a magnet for Shakespeare scholars from around the globe. In addition to exhibitions open to the public throughout the year, the Folger offers a full calendar of performances and programs.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140714634, 0141012315

Yale University Press

An edition of this book was published by Yale University Press.

Sourcebooks MediaFusion

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks MediaFusion.

Recorded Books

2 editions of this book were published by Recorded Books.

Editions: 1456103261, 144987875X

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,299,021 books! | Top bar: Always visible