Othello by William Shakespeare

Othello

by William Shakespeare

English (67)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (77)
I don't think I could hate Iago any harder! That is all. ( )
  Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |
This is perhaps Shakespeare’s darkest play – featuring characters that are flawed and damaged, but which completely captivate us. Our title character – Othello, the Moor - is a highly regarded general. As the play opens he has recently eloped with the lovely Desdemona, to the consternation of her father and others who were hopeful suitors. Egged on by Iago (one of literature’s most reviled villains), they accuse Othello of somehow bewitching Desdemona, but the couple successfully convinces everyone that their love is true and pure.

Iago is a true sociopath. Rules do not apply to him, and duplicity is second nature to him. His oily manner convinces everyone that he has only their own best interests at heart while he plants seeds of doubt everywhere, ensuring that everyone becomes suspicious and disheartened. Iago uses the other characters as his pawns some sort of game he plays for his own benefit. He particularly targets Othello, recognizes the chink in his armor is his relationship with Desdemona, and manages to turn this noble general into a homicidal, emotional wreck.

I do wonder how Othello, Cassio, and Roderigo (among others) can be so easily swayed by Iago. Othello, in particular, should be able to see through this smarmy false friend. I’m completely perplexed by Emilia’s role in this tragedy. How can she abet her husband’s evil plans? Is she really so clueless?

Shakespeare writes a true psychological drama, exploring the darkest human emotion and motivation.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
I don't think there is any point writing a formal review of Othello - there is nothing that a simple country boy such as myself can say that will add in any useful manner to the vast corpus of more worthy comment.

It is, of course, marvellous, yet simultaneously repulsive. The manipulation of Othello by the scheming of Iago is dreadful to see. Othello contributes to, indeed almost collaborates in, his own downfall, while Desdemona is left prey to malign forces entirely beyond her control, or even her understanding.

Quite frankly, I think I find it too dark and oppressive. There seems no let up, not even much in the way of Shakespeare's excruciating 'comic' roles. Iago may be my namesake (more or less) but, on balance, I think that when it comes to scheming, Machiavellian figures I prefer Bosola, Richard III or even Lorenzo from 'The Spanish Tragedy. ( )
  Eyejaybee | Jun 20, 2015 |
Love, jealousy, lust, revenge, ambition -- it doesn't get much better than this. Iago is the consummate villain, dripping in evil. Othello is, of course, an idiot -- albeit a noble one. Very tight plot and narrative. Holds up well after hundreds of years -- that still blows me away. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 22, 2014 |
I've anticipated more from this YA version of Shakespeare Made Easy. I've read a bunch of others similar Shakespeare-to-Modern English books but this is the worst modern rendition of Othello and I haven't read the original play yet.
The most powerful thing about Shakespearean plays was its clever use of language and his poetry. All of which made Shakespeare still a household name after 400 years. Even if you translate Shakespeare to make it understandable, you can still retain the essence of the story even if you sacrifice the language usage.
But this book dumb down Shakespeare for the teenage audience that its almost unbearable. There are potential in the first few chapters but then the style regressed badly. If you've read a badly translated book, this is an example. The narration actually switched unevenly between Shakespearean and a teenage pulp fiction. One time they acted like teenagers and then the next they sounded like someone from four centuries ago. The dialogues changed from a teenage drama to badly translated soliloquies. Sometimes the short teen speak feels like a substitute to a long complicated dialogue that the meaning flew out of the window. Later on the teen dialogues read like the monologues translated by each singular words. By the end, I'm not sure whether it was a retelling or a teen-speak translated Othello.
I know that there are a limitation and the difficulties in translating a hard tragedy but I wish the book had maintain its purpose as a retelling instead of a direct translation. There were no understandable complexities between the characters that all of them came out one-dimensional and the dialogues and plot was very uneven and random that the flow came out unnatural which is sad since those was the definite areas you could expand more in a retelling. Now I'm worried about Macbeth and Hamlet.
The ARC was provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  aoibhealfae | Jun 2, 2014 |

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Was inspired by

Inspired

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

O (2001IMDb)
Never tell me; I take it much unkindly
That thou, Iago, who hast had my purse
As if the strings were thine, shouldst know of this.
Trifles light as air
Are to the jealous confirmations strong
As proofs of holy writ;
O, beware, my lord, of jealousy!
It is the green-eyed monster, which doth mock
The meat it feeds on. That cuckold lives in bliss
Who, certain of his fate, loves not his wronger;
But O, what damned minutes tells he o'er
Who dotes, yet doubts, suspects, yet strongly loves!
Not poppy, nor mandragora,
Nor all the drowsy syrups of the world,
Shall ever medicine thee to that sweet sleep
Which thou owedst yesterday.
Reputation
is an idle and most false imposition; oft got without merit
and lost without deserving.
Good name in man and woman, dear my lord,
Is the immediate jewel of their souls.
Who steals my purse steals trash; 'tis something, nothing;
'Twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands;
But he that filches from me my good name
Robs me of that which not enriches him
And makes me poor indeed.
This work is for the COMPLETE Othello only. Do not combine abridgements, adaptations (graphic or otherwise), modernizations and simplifications (such as "Shakespeare Made Easy"), Cliffs Notes or similar study guides, or videorecordings of performances with this work. Please separate any that you find here.

As should go without saying, please also do not combine this with any other play or combination of plays.

[R.L. 8.4]
One of the most often staged of all of Shakespeare's plays, this is a tale of love and betrayal, secrets, passions, and intrigue. Psychology and wit pit strength and virtue against jealousy and evil agendas. The results leave no winners, only tragedy.
Self-hating black man
Goes medieval on blonde wife
OJ's fav'rite book?
(citygirl)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743477553, Mass Market Paperback)

Each edition includes:

• Freshly edited text based on the best early printed version of the play

• Full explanatory notes conveniently placed on pages facing the text of the play

• Scene-by-scene plot summaries

• A key to famous lines and phrases

• An introduction to reading Shakespeare's language

• An essay by an outstanding scholar providing a modern perspective on the play

• Illustrations from the Folger Shakespeare Library's vast holdings of rare books

Essay by Susan Snyder

The Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, D.C., is home to the world's largest collection of Shakespeare's printed works, and a magnet for Shakespeare scholars from around the globe. In addition to exhibitions open to the public throughout the year, the Folger offers a full calendar of performances and programs. For more information, visit www.folger.edu.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:38 -0400)

Folger Shakespeare Library is the world's leading center for Shakespeare studies. Each edition includes: freshly edited text based on the best early printed version of the play; full explanatory notes conveniently placed on pages facing the text of the play; scene-by-scene plot summaries; a key to famous lines and phrases; an introduction to reading Shakespeare's language; an essay by an outstanding scholar providing a modern perspective on the play; illustrations from the Folger Shakespeare Library's vast holdings of rare books. Essay by Susan Snyder. The Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, D.C., is home to the world's largest collection of Shakespeare's printed works, and a magnet for Shakespeare scholars from around the globe. In addition to exhibitions open to the public throughout the year, the Folger offers a full calendar of performances and programs.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140714634, 0141012315

Yale University Press

An edition of this book was published by Yale University Press.

Sourcebooks MediaFusion

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks MediaFusion.

Recorded Books

2 editions of this book were published by Recorded Books.

Editions: 1456103261, 144987875X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,150,580 books! | Top bar: Always visible