Ghost Country by Patrick Lee

Title:Ghost Country
Authors:Patrick Lee
Info:Harper (no date), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:ER, science fiction, time travel, action, member giveaway

Ghost Country by Patrick Lee

English (38)  French (1)  All languages (39)
Sure you can jump ahead in time ... but what are you going to do about what you find in the future? Plot twists, jumps forward and backward in time ... all add up to good fun. Be sure to read The Breach first or you'll be lost. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Dammit. I wish I had known there was a book before this one. The story/plot did stand alone, but it would have been better if I had known the background for the Breach where all the sci-fi components of the story come from. The characters do reflect on parts of the earlier story, and perhaps some of their motivations would make more sense if I had read that.

However... overall it is a nicely paced and relatively suspenseful/thoughtful action thriller. Yes, yes, it is touted as a sci-fi book but it is not, not really. There is some "alien" technology that allows the premise of the book to occur, but, other than that, everything is within the realm of current tech.

I really liked it, but, then again, I like action novels as much as sci-fi novels. If you picked this up expecting sci-fi, you might be disappointed. I will go read Breach now, and then the 3rd book in the series... it's really very engaging and decently written. ( )
  crazybatcow | Mar 16, 2016 |
Lots of action, but also in between a few things to think about.
Not much to add, read my review of the first book, sorry for that.
Will probably write a longer review of the third book [b:Deep Sky|12135086|Deep Sky (Travis Chase, #3)|Patrick Lee|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328304576s/12135086.jpg|17104926].
Highly recommended, fast-page-turner. ( )
  Ingo.Lembcke | Oct 27, 2015 |
What would you do, if you knew how the world would end? If you knew for a fact that next week, the President of the United States would press that magic button, and our whole world would end in ruin, would you try to stop it?

Not me. I'd wait that shit out, sittin' on my porch with a shotgun, hoping some zombies would come by. Because, as it is, the world is pretty dull. Nothing interesting ever happens.

I mean, how long has it been since a nuke was dropped? 60 years or so? It's been too damn long. How the hell is Iraq still a country? It should be a smouldering ruin by now, goddamnit. We've got thousands of nukes just laying around doing nothing. It's time we laid some waste.

In [b:Ghost Country|8479092|Ghost Country (Travis Chase, #2)|Patrick Lee|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1393478102s/8479092.jpg|13344068], an artifact has popped out of the Breach, which allows the user to see into the future. Or even open a portal and visit that future.

Well, being the curious fuck-stick that he is, Travis Chase opens a portal, looks around at the wasteland and thinks hey, that might be fun. So, he jumps on in, leaving his love Paige behind. Because, conflict.

So, this whole book is about Paige running around with knowledge of the future. She tries to stop the world from ending, and of course, fails miserably. She really is useless without Travis around to help.

Eventually, Paige says "Fuck this shit," more or less, and opens a portal to the future to join Travis, who has been fucking around in wasteland for 70 goddamn years. But, of course, he's had an awesome artifact with him that keeps him young.

Fuck those goddamn artifacts. They ruin everything. Every fucking time. There's this whole plot thing, where it seems impossible. There's absolutely no way this can end well. Enter a motherfucking artifact, and wham-o, problem solved. Goddamnit to hell. ( )
  gecizzle | Mar 5, 2015 |
I just finished it as the first book in this series. Very refreshing! ( )
  zhoud2005 | May 13, 2014 |
For Janet Reid.
I promise not to let on
that you're nice.
Oops.
Fifty seconds before the first shots hit the motorcade, Paige Campbell was thinking about the fall of Rome.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061584444, Mass Market Paperback)

For decades, inexplicable technology has passed into our world through the top secret anomaly called the Breach.

The latest device can punch a hole into the future . . .

What Paige Campbell saw when she opened a door into seventy years from now scared the hell out of her. She and her Tangent colleagues brought their terrible discovery to the President—and were met with a hail of automatic gunfire after leaving the White House. Only Paige survived.

Fearing a terrifying personal destiny revealed to him from the other side of the Breach, Travis Chase abandoned Tangent . . . and Paige Campbell. Now he must rescue her—because Paige knows tomorrow’s world is desolate and dead, a ghost country scattered with the bones of billions. And Doomsday will dawn in just four short months . . . unless they can find the answers buried in the ruins to come.

But once they cross the nightmare border into Ghost Country, they might never find their way back . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:53 -0400)

What Paige Campbell saw when she opened a door into seventy years from now scared the hell out of her. She and her Tangent colleagues brought their terrible discovery to the President - and were met with a hail of automatic gunfire after leaving the White House. Only Paige survived. Fearing a terrifying personal destiny revealed to him from the other side of the Breach, Travis Chase abandoned Tangent . . . and Paige Campbell. Now he must rescue her - because Paige knows tomorrow's world is desolate and dead, a ghost country scattered with the bones of billions. And Doomsday will dawn in just four short months . . . unless they can find the answers buried in the ruins to come. But once they cross the nightmare border into Ghost Country, they might never find their way back.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Ghost Country by Patrick Lee was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,823,727 books! | Top bar: Always visible