Ghost Country by Patrick Lee

Title:Ghost Country
Authors:Patrick Lee
Info:Harper (no date), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:ER, science fiction, time travel, action, member giveaway

Ghost Country by Patrick Lee

Recently added byprivate library, Debra_Burge, TomCrowley3, TomCrowley

I just finished it as the first book in this series. Very refreshing! ( )
  zhoud2005 | May 13, 2014 |
Please Note: I read and reviewed this book Feb. 2011 from a copy I received from the Amazon Vine program.

My Synopsis: This book is the sequel to The Breach. After the events in that book, Travis Chase has left Tangent in order to try to prevent future events that were predicted in The Breach. However, when events collude to cause Bethany Stewart - a member of Tangent - to call Chase back to help, he comes. She shows him a new Entity that recently came through the Breach - this one punches a hole in time to a specific point in the future. The future shown is horrific - there are no people left; the wilderness is overrunning the cities. And then there are the bones ... lots of bones. What happened to cause this future? How can they prevent it?

My Recommendation: With its nonstop action, this book is perfect for adrenalin junkies. Like The Breach, Ghost Country combines the best of thriller and science fiction into a unique style that is sure to please a wide variety of readers. This is a "don't miss"! I highly recommend it. ( )
  Katyas | Apr 21, 2013 |
Good for what it is - a fast-paced thriller with thin characters but a strong plot. ( )
  mbg0312 | Feb 14, 2012 |
I wish Goodreads did .5 ratings, because this is a solid 3.5. Page-turny, exciting, not particularly challenging sci-fi. Definitely a holiday book. I read this without having read The Breach, and it didn't demand too much prior knowledge. ( )
  goddamn_phony | Dec 10, 2011 |
I didn't enjoy this book as much as the first. The sense of discovery about the Breach was gone, and it didn't have to be. The Breach is such a fascinating idea, and in this book it gets short shrift, as the story purposely keeps the Breach in the background. What we do learn about it is very interesting, and the best parts of the story revolve around this information.

Mostly there is lot of running around in this installment with not a lot of important stuff happening. Sure, they go here and there and do things, but it's mostly with very little consequence. We are introduced to a major new character, but otherwise, little changes. In fact, things almost change at the end, but the reader is forced to wait for the next book to see the outcome of Travis Chase's actions. In other words, it ends on a cliff hanger of the character development sort.

Lee's craft work is good. The dialogue is decent, the characters stay in tune with the first book, and the action scenes are clear. I just wish something had happened in the book. The bad guy is okay, but there are actually two bad guys and we only get exposed to one of them, so the other one must show up in some later book.

Lee's writing and what little information we get about the Breach is what keeps this from being a total wash. ( )
  cdhtenn2k10 | Nov 27, 2011 |
For Janet Reid.
I promise not to let on
that you're nice.
Oops.
Fifty seconds before the first shots hit the motorcade, Paige Campbell was thinking about the fall of Rome.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061584444, Mass Market Paperback)

For decades, inexplicable technology has passed into our world through the top secret anomaly called the Breach.

The latest device can punch a hole into the future . . .

What Paige Campbell saw when she opened a door into seventy years from now scared the hell out of her. She and her Tangent colleagues brought their terrible discovery to the President—and were met with a hail of automatic gunfire after leaving the White House. Only Paige survived.

Fearing a terrifying personal destiny revealed to him from the other side of the Breach, Travis Chase abandoned Tangent . . . and Paige Campbell. Now he must rescue her—because Paige knows tomorrow’s world is desolate and dead, a ghost country scattered with the bones of billions. And Doomsday will dawn in just four short months . . . unless they can find the answers buried in the ruins to come.

But once they cross the nightmare border into Ghost Country, they might never find their way back . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:28 -0400)

What Paige Campbell saw when she opened a door into seventy years from now scared the hell out of her. She and her Tangent colleagues brought their terrible discovery to the President - and were met with a hail of automatic gunfire after leaving the White House. Only Paige survived. Fearing a terrifying personal destiny revealed to him from the other side of the Breach, Travis Chase abandoned Tangent . . . and Paige Campbell. Now he must rescue her - because Paige knows tomorrow's world is desolate and dead, a ghost country scattered with the bones of billions. And Doomsday will dawn in just four short months . . . unless they can find the answers buried in the ruins to come. But once they cross the nightmare border into Ghost Country, they might never find their way back.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Ghost Country by Patrick Lee was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,653,883 books! | Top bar: Always visible