Ghost Country by Patrick Lee

Title:Ghost Country
Authors:Patrick Lee
Info:Harper (no date), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:ER, science fiction, time travel, action, member giveaway

Ghost Country by Patrick Lee

I loved this book. Apart from being a great fast-paced thriller, it has a touch of romance too.
From the first book: some thirty years ago something like a portal opened and the scientists gave it a name - the Breach. Every now and then various objects come through it. Some of them are bad and some are good. Tangent, a secret organization, was created to collect and analyse those objects. This book deals with an object which shows a future (deliberate use of a). Paige went to show the object to the president and to tell him a horrible thing they have learned from it. Her group was killed and she was captured. Bethany, a girl Paige called for help. This is short summary of the action part. It is really fast. They don't get a moment of piece.
Now for the romance part. You get they fell in love in the first book. You get the reason why Travis left. There is no drama, no dumb love triangles. Now, the following are not exactly spoilers. They are more moments I loved regarding the romance.
Travis finds out some things in the future which help him decide to tell Paige the reason he left. In the third book he is probably back.
I loved how they didn't have to say more than necessary. Two examples:
“I understand that there’s something you really, really cannot tell me,” she said. “And I understand that it has nothing to do with how you feel about me. Because I know how you feel about me. Yesterday morning, when I stepped out of Finn’s office onto that girder and saw you standing five feet away, it didn’t surprise me in the least. I hadn’t expected it—but when I saw you, it seemed like the most normal thing in the world that you’d be standing there. That you’d be there for me. So I know. And I understand . . . even if I don’t understand. ..."
And another, even more heartbreaking, is when he decides to stay and give Bethany and Paige enough time to get away:
“The seconds drew out again. Then he felt one of Paige’s hands on his face. Her fingers tracing its contours. The closest she could get to a last look at him.
“Be there,” she said, and then her hand fell away."

I know this is s thriller and the main focus is not what happens between these two, but that is the exact reason I loved those crumbs we got.

Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
I just finished it as the first book in this series. Very refreshing! ( )
  zhoud2005 | May 13, 2014 |
Please Note: I read and reviewed this book Feb. 2011 from a copy I received from the Amazon Vine program.

My Synopsis: This book is the sequel to The Breach. After the events in that book, Travis Chase has left Tangent in order to try to prevent future events that were predicted in The Breach. However, when events collude to cause Bethany Stewart - a member of Tangent - to call Chase back to help, he comes. She shows him a new Entity that recently came through the Breach - this one punches a hole in time to a specific point in the future. The future shown is horrific - there are no people left; the wilderness is overrunning the cities. And then there are the bones ... lots of bones. What happened to cause this future? How can they prevent it?

My Recommendation: With its nonstop action, this book is perfect for adrenalin junkies. Like The Breach, Ghost Country combines the best of thriller and science fiction into a unique style that is sure to please a wide variety of readers. This is a "don't miss"! I highly recommend it. ( )
  Katyas | Apr 21, 2013 |
Good for what it is - a fast-paced thriller with thin characters but a strong plot. ( )
  mbg0312 | Feb 14, 2012 |
I wish Goodreads did .5 ratings, because this is a solid 3.5. Page-turny, exciting, not particularly challenging sci-fi. Definitely a holiday book. I read this without having read The Breach, and it didn't demand too much prior knowledge. ( )
  goddamn_phony | Dec 10, 2011 |
For Janet Reid.
I promise not to let on
that you're nice.
Oops.
Fifty seconds before the first shots hit the motorcade, Paige Campbell was thinking about the fall of Rome.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061584444, Mass Market Paperback)

For decades, inexplicable technology has passed into our world through the top secret anomaly called the Breach.

The latest device can punch a hole into the future . . .

What Paige Campbell saw when she opened a door into seventy years from now scared the hell out of her. She and her Tangent colleagues brought their terrible discovery to the President—and were met with a hail of automatic gunfire after leaving the White House. Only Paige survived.

Fearing a terrifying personal destiny revealed to him from the other side of the Breach, Travis Chase abandoned Tangent . . . and Paige Campbell. Now he must rescue her—because Paige knows tomorrow’s world is desolate and dead, a ghost country scattered with the bones of billions. And Doomsday will dawn in just four short months . . . unless they can find the answers buried in the ruins to come.

But once they cross the nightmare border into Ghost Country, they might never find their way back . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:28 -0400)

What Paige Campbell saw when she opened a door into seventy years from now scared the hell out of her. She and her Tangent colleagues brought their terrible discovery to the President - and were met with a hail of automatic gunfire after leaving the White House. Only Paige survived. Fearing a terrifying personal destiny revealed to him from the other side of the Breach, Travis Chase abandoned Tangent . . . and Paige Campbell. Now he must rescue her - because Paige knows tomorrow's world is desolate and dead, a ghost country scattered with the bones of billions. And Doomsday will dawn in just four short months . . . unless they can find the answers buried in the ruins to come. But once they cross the nightmare border into Ghost Country, they might never find their way back.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Ghost Country by Patrick Lee was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,367,154 books! | Top bar: Always visible