Ghost Country by Patrick Lee

Ghost Country (edition 2010)

by Patrick Lee

Collections:Your library, SciFi and Fantasy
Rating:***
Tags:SciFi, Action/Adventure

Ghost Country by Patrick Lee

English (41)  French (1)  English (42)
I loved this book. Apart from being a great fast-paced thriller, it has a touch of romance too.
From the first book: some thirty years ago something like a portal opened and the scientists gave it a name - the Breach. Every now and then various objects come through it. Some of them are bad and some are good. Tangent, a secret organization, was created to collect and analyse those objects. This book deals with an object which shows a future (deliberate use of a). Paige went to show the object to the president and to tell him a horrible thing they have learned from it. Her group was killed and she was captured. Bethany, a girl Paige called for help. This is short summary of the action part. It is really fast. They don't get a moment of piece.
Now for the romance part. You get they fell in love in the first book. You get the reason why Travis left. There is no drama, no dumb love triangles. Now, the following are not exactly spoilers. They are more moments I loved regarding the romance.
Travis finds out some things in the future which help him decide to tell Paige the reason he left. In the third book he is probably back.
I loved how they didn't have to say more than necessary. Two examples:
“I understand that there’s something you really, really cannot tell me,” she said. “And I understand that it has nothing to do with how you feel about me. Because I know how you feel about me. Yesterday morning, when I stepped out of Finn’s office onto that girder and saw you standing five feet away, it didn’t surprise me in the least. I hadn’t expected it—but when I saw you, it seemed like the most normal thing in the world that you’d be standing there. That you’d be there for me. So I know. And I understand . . . even if I don’t understand. ..."
And another, even more heartbreaking, is when he decides to stay and give Bethany and Paige enough time to get away:
“The seconds drew out again. Then he felt one of Paige’s hands on his face. Her fingers tracing its contours. The closest she could get to a last look at him.
“Be there,” she said, and then her hand fell away."

I know this is s thriller and the main focus is not what happens between these two, but that is the exact reason I loved those crumbs we got.

Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |
I loved how they didn't have to say more than necessary. Two examples:
“Be there,” she said, and then her hand fell away."

Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book. I didn't realize there was one before so I will need to backtrack. But it is an interesting concept. It wouldn't surprise me if someone was crazy enough to come up with a plan to destroy the world. The time travel is also something I'm interested in. Are there really ways to go into the future and see what is happening. And if you do go into the future, if you change things in the present to try to change what you saw, will it really change the future? A fast paced book that pulls you into the story. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
Sure you can jump ahead in time ... but what are you going to do about what you find in the future? Plot twists, jumps forward and backward in time ... all add up to good fun. Be sure to read The Breach first or you'll be lost. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Dammit. I wish I had known there was a book before this one. The story/plot did stand alone, but it would have been better if I had known the background for the Breach where all the sci-fi components of the story come from. The characters do reflect on parts of the earlier story, and perhaps some of their motivations would make more sense if I had read that.

However... overall it is a nicely paced and relatively suspenseful/thoughtful action thriller. Yes, yes, it is touted as a sci-fi book but it is not, not really. There is some "alien" technology that allows the premise of the book to occur, but, other than that, everything is within the realm of current tech.

I really liked it, but, then again, I like action novels as much as sci-fi novels. If you picked this up expecting sci-fi, you might be disappointed. I will go read Breach now, and then the 3rd book in the series... it's really very engaging and decently written. ( )
  crazybatcow | Mar 16, 2016 |
For Janet Reid.
I promise not to let on
that you're nice.
Oops.
Fifty seconds before the first shots hit the motorcade, Paige Campbell was thinking about the fall of Rome.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061584444, Mass Market Paperback)

For decades, inexplicable technology has passed into our world through the top secret anomaly called the Breach.

The latest device can punch a hole into the future . . .

What Paige Campbell saw when she opened a door into seventy years from now scared the hell out of her. She and her Tangent colleagues brought their terrible discovery to the President—and were met with a hail of automatic gunfire after leaving the White House. Only Paige survived.

Fearing a terrifying personal destiny revealed to him from the other side of the Breach, Travis Chase abandoned Tangent . . . and Paige Campbell. Now he must rescue her—because Paige knows tomorrow’s world is desolate and dead, a ghost country scattered with the bones of billions. And Doomsday will dawn in just four short months . . . unless they can find the answers buried in the ruins to come.

But once they cross the nightmare border into Ghost Country, they might never find their way back . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:53 -0400)

What Paige Campbell saw when she opened a door into seventy years from now scared the hell out of her. She and her Tangent colleagues brought their terrible discovery to the President - and were met with a hail of automatic gunfire after leaving the White House. Only Paige survived. Fearing a terrifying personal destiny revealed to him from the other side of the Breach, Travis Chase abandoned Tangent . . . and Paige Campbell. Now he must rescue her - because Paige knows tomorrow's world is desolate and dead, a ghost country scattered with the bones of billions. And Doomsday will dawn in just four short months . . . unless they can find the answers buried in the ruins to come. But once they cross the nightmare border into Ghost Country, they might never find their way back.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Ghost Country by Patrick Lee was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,665,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible