Fang and Fur, Blood and Bone: A Primal Guide…

Fang and Fur, Blood and Bone: A Primal Guide to Animal Magic (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Lupa

Member:sarahswampwitch
Title:Fang and Fur, Blood and Bone: A Primal Guide to Animal Magic
Authors:Lupa
Info:Immanion Press/Megalithica Books (2006), Paperback, 224 pages
Tags:Animal Magick

Fang and Fur, Blood and Bone: A Primal Guide to Animal Magic by Lupa (2006)

So, this is a bit out of the norm.

[a:Lupa|77563|Lupa|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1416906058p2/77563.jpg] is a practicioner of therioshamanism and this book is pretty much an introduction to that combined with a healthy dose of chaos magick. It's an interesting text, and I suppose a good one for a beginner? I don't really know enough about it to comment too deeply, since I've not read many occult texts of that nature. I found it informative, interesting enough to keep me reading and pondering it. From an anthropology standpoint it's fascinating that people believe in this and practice it regularly. I don't really think I could practice much of it, even out of curiosity, since I'm so darn bad at meditation. Oh well?

It's interesting, informative, but probably not for anyone above novice level, let's say. Her blog is fascinating and goes far more in depth on the different shamanic aspects of her belief and practices. I highly recommend it for the curious and she's quite fun to talk to. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Lupa’s book on the practice of animal magick was an informative and good read. This book, rather than attempting to create a complex system of belief and moralizations around animals, totems, and the use of such entities in magical operations, the approach of this book is practical and experiential. This book does not a dictionary on totems or a how-to book, which I quite liked. Instead, the book presents a variety of approaches and techniques that can be found with the use of animal magick. The book is sometimes slightly biased but the author is honest about her views and tries her best to remain neutral and informative through the book. The book does have some typographical errors here and there but this did not detract from the reading experience. A good book and read over all, it really proved influential my own beliefs and practices when I first read it. ( )
  earthlistener | May 11, 2010 |
Here at the outset of this review I have to make the disclaimer that I am not a practitioner of magic although I have always found the subject fascinating. I originally found Fang and Fur Blood and Bone while looking on Amazon for research materials relative to familiars while writing my own novel. My local library system was sorely lacking in any texts regarding practical magic. Regretfully, at that time I only reviewed the portions I felt would be important to my writing and in hindsight, a full reading of this book would have served my purposes much better.

I found this guide to be extremely interesting, and it is just that, "a guide", not a "how to" instructional manual. Lupa takes each aspect of animal assisted magic including totems, familiars, shape shifting, working with animal parts and even animal sacrifice and gives a detailed overview of each. She also gives examples how she has used and benefited from each type of working and spices the prose up with humorous comments and observations. She is not afraid to share any mistakes she may have made and is adamant throughout the book that each practitioner take the time to discover their own methods and results, stressing that every person different and as such, their results may be as well. I also enjoyed her obvious care in outlining that whenever you are using animals in your practice that they deserve to be respected and that proper care must be taken, both spiritually and physically, with these living feeling beings.

Near the end of the guide Lupa tackles some more disturbing processes including a cleansing ritual she performed when she felt she was losing her focus on the animals. I would not suggest the last couple chapters to anyone with a more sensitive disposition.

Although I am a layman and non-practitioner I still felt this guide was educational. I certainly think that it would be beneficial to any person interested in a practical lesson in learning the different aspects of animal magic. ( )
3 vote Jenson_AKA_DL | Aug 17, 2007 |
THE book about practical animal magic! I have never read a better book on actual magical experiments along these lines. It is not simply a catalog of animal symbolism and correspondences; instead, it is an actual manual of how to use animal power and totems in your own magic and self-improvement. ( )
1 vote Anituel | Sep 27, 2006 |

From the back: "Fang and Fur, Blood and Bone" is like no other book on animal magic. While covering the more common topics such as totemism and familiars, Lupa also delves into such controversial realms as shapeshifting, the magical and ritual use of animal parts, and includes pathworkings for matching totems with chakras. Aimed a magical practitioners both new and advanced, "Fand and Fur, Blood and Bone" is a must for anyone interested in this popular subject.

Lupa provides a guidebook to incorporating animal magic into your practices. She delves into the usual realms of totemism and familiars, creating animal-based entities and shapeshifting. Look for other odds and ends like cryptozoology, pop culture influences, and therianthropy.… (more)

Lupa is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,422,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible