The Accident: A Thriller by Linwood Barclay

The Accident: A Thriller (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Linwood Barclay

Member:cemclellan
Title:The Accident: A Thriller
Authors:Linwood Barclay
Info:Bantam (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Rating:***

The Accident by Linwood Barclay (2011)

English (36)  Dutch (1)  All languages (37)
Wow. Barclay does it again. Holy cow. ( )
  librarymary09 | May 24, 2014 |
Wow. Barclay does it again. Holy cow. ( )
  librarymary09 | May 24, 2014 |
Blurb..........

Glen Garber's life has just spiralled out of control. His wife's car is found at the scene of a drunk-driving accident that took three lives. Not only is she dead, but it appears she was the cause of the accident.
Suddenly Glen has to deal with a potent mixture of emotions: grief at the loss of his wife, along with anger at her reckless behaviour that leaves their young daughter motherless. If only he could convince himself that Sheila wasn't responsible for the tragedy.
But as more and more secrets begin to surface, Glen may have to face something much, much worse...

I actually enjoyed this more than I thought I was going to.
With Barclay, he has a habit of arranging his narrative so that the reader never fully understands what’s the raison d’etre is, until the big reveal close to the finish. Whilst this was an interesting tactic/practice – I can’t find the right word here - at first, I’ve grown a bit tired of the format over time. However, this book seemed slightly more straight-forward. Admittedly there was a grand finale and the protagonist(s) got their comeuppance at the end – no real surprises or spoilers there, but I wasn’t left scratching my head throughout wondering – “What the f***!”
Believable enough plot, sympathetic main character, with a reasonable ensemble of supporting cast including the annoying mother-in-law and interesting police-woman.

He manages to portray the effects of the banking crisis and economic downturn of the last few years and the effect it has had on jobs, housing and everyday folk and their finances.
Enjoyable enough, better than average, but I’m not charging down the bookstore doors to get hold of the next. My wife enjoys them, maybe a bit more than me, so I’ll no doubt be reading Trust Your Eyes at some point in the second half of this year.
4 from 5 at a push - insofar as it was better than a 3.

Bought new last year for my better half.
  col2910 | Apr 17, 2014 |
Wife has accident. A ring of counterfeit purses and drugs involves many people in murder and mayhem. Typical Barclay. Everyone gets shot, and the hero just keeps going. ( )
  latorreliliana | Oct 13, 2013 |
I'm a little behind with Barclay and glad to have gone back and caught up with this title. Barclay never disappoints me. I can always count on him presenting an unusual crime and a thriller with many twists and turns. The Accident, once again, delivers. I'll just start by saying this wasn't my favourite of the author's as I didn't find it as intense as others I've read. Oh, the twists and thrills were there but I just felt as if I knew they were coming just before they happened. There are several related crimes going on here and I figured some of it out but the ultimate reveal I hadn't guessed, though I didn't find it too surprising by that point. The whole playing out of what went down was quite the story though! One thing I really enjoyed about this book was the main character's dealing with his wife's death. He goes through the various stages of grief and he was a likable character. Mind, he was explosive and had a temper, but his reactions to the astonishing unfolding of events while dealing with grief were very real and I enjoyed reading him. So putting my ramblings together :-) another good thriller from Barclay, not his best, but good nevertheless. ( )
  ElizaJane | Aug 12, 2013 |
The Canadian-based journalist twists and turns the plot with believability and spices it with plenty of suspects and suspense. In some places, his homework does seem a bit lacking, but the book remains consistently interesting and ready to please thriller fans with both its action and pacing.

Barclay has turned in a home run with plenty of edge-of-the-seat moments.

The Accident" (Bantam Books), by Linwood Barclay: A husband is forced to confront his wife's secret life in "The Accident," Linwood Barclay's best thriller to date....Barclay channels the best of Harlan Coben and Lisa Gardner in stories of families in suburbia dealing with tragic circumstances. Readers will quickly become emotionally involved with Glen and his daughter and will flip the pages of "The Accident" to figure out the puzzle.

Former Toronto Star columnist Linwood Barclay has another page turner in his latest, a story of trouble and turmoil in suburbia, in this case, the town of Milford, Conn....Barclay tells a fine tale, with blackmail, murder, suspense and the murky world of counterfeit goods. Just when you think you’ve figured it out, well, you haven’t. Right to the end, there are twists and turns in the plot, and people who you thought were squeaky clean? Not so much.

Linwood Barclayprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berkrot, PeterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Neetha
Their names were Edna Bauer and Pam Steigerwald, and they were grade school teachers from Butler, Pennsylvania, and they had never been to New York in their entire lives.

from Amazon ca Product Description
In this mesmerizing thriller by acclaimed author Linwood Barclay, a typical American community descends into darkness, as an ordinary man is swept into one of the most violent mysteries of modern life.

It’s the new normal at the Garber household in Connecticut: Glen, a contractor, has seen his business shaken by the housing crisis, and now his wife, Sheila, is taking a business course at night to increase her chances of landing a good-paying job.

But she should have been home by now.

Waiting for Sheila’s return, with their eight-year-old daughter sleeping soundly, Glen soon finds his worst fears confirmed: Sheila and two others have been killed in a car accident. Adding to the tragedy, the police claim Sheila was responsible.

Glen knows it’s impossible; he knew his wife and she would never do such a thing. When he investigates, Glen begins to uncover layers of lawlessness beneath the placid surface of their suburb, secret after dangerous secret behind the closed doors.

Propelled into a vortex of corruption and illegal activity, pursued by mysterious killers, and confronted by threats from neighbors he thought he knew, Glen must take his own desperate measures and go to terrifying new places in himself to avenge his wife and protect his child.

Bold and timely, with the shocking twists and startling insights that have become trademarks of this new master of domestic suspense, The Accident is a riveting triumph, a book that moves at a breathless pace to a climax no one will see coming.

Glen Garber's wife Sheila is killed in a car accident and the police claim she was responsible. But Glen knows this is impossible. As he investigates he begins to uncover layers of lawlessness and secrets in his suburb. He is forced into a vortex of illegal activity, is persued by mysterious killers and confronted by threats from his neighbors. Can he avenge his wife and protect his child?… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Accident by Linwood Barclay was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,355,486 books! | Top bar: Always visible