The Accident: A Thriller by Linwood Barclay

The Accident: A Thriller (edition 2012)

by Linwood Barclay

Member:cemclellan
Title:The Accident: A Thriller
Authors:Linwood Barclay
Info:Bantam (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Rating:***

The Accident by Linwood Barclay

English (53)  Dutch (1)  English (54)
My first Barclay and I'm not sure what I really think about his writing.

What I Liked: Linwood Barclay certainly had me wondering throughout the entire book. Amongst a cast of questionable characters, Barclay masterfully crafted a whodunnit that even stumped me. Not that I'm queen of figuring out whodunnits but often times I'm more right than wrong. So with the conclusion of this book I was (pleasantly) surprised that I didn't see it coming. I also enjoyed seeing how so many plot threads came together. There was a time towards the beginning of the book that I had my doubts that he could pull all of them together but he certainly did it.

What I Didn't Like: I didn't like that Barclay used the recession as a reason for "purportedly" good people to turn to a life of crime. Most of us have been effected by the down turn in our economy but very few of us have turned to a life of crime. It seemed a bit absurd that so many people in such a small suburban area would have done this. In addition, his back and forth flipping from first person narration to third pulled me out of the story. I would have liked if it stuck to one or the other even though the way it was written made it easier to determine whose view we were reading at any given time. Also, the first 1/3 or so really dragged for me...it did pick up but I wouldn't consider this a thriller. It's a slow build and not a fast paced roller coaster ride. One last thing, I had a bit of an issue with the whodunnit. I did enjoy Barclay stumping me but I thought the actual perpetrator was a bit hard to swallow. I liked the wow of it but it seemed a bit far fetched.

In a Nutshell: Despite that I had some issues with the book I will probably seek out more Linwood Barclay books in the future.

3.5 Stars rounded down for GR purposes. ( )
  ChristinaT. | Dec 3, 2016 |
Another very good read by this author that keeps you wanting to turn the page, 4 stars. That said I still feel I prefer the other books I have read by him : Fear the Worst and No Time for Goodbye as there were one or two points I didn't feel were totally believable but I forgive him that. Rather like with Harlan Coben I know I am in for a good read when I pick up one of his books. I look forward to his next book. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
Glen Garber, a contractor, has seen his business shaken by the housing crisis, and now his wife, Sheila, is taking a business course at night to increase her chances of landing a good-paying job. But she should have been home by now. With their eight-year-old daughter sleeping soundly, Glen soon finds his worst fears confirmed: Sheila and two others have been killed in a car accident. Grieving and in denial, Glen resolves to investigate the accident himself—and begins to uncover layers of lawlessness beneath the placid surface of their Connecticut suburb, secret after dangerous secret behind the closed doors. Propelled into a vortex of corruption and illegal activity, pursued by mysterious killers, and confronted by threats from neighbors he thought he knew, Glen must take his own desperate measures and go to terrifying new places in himself to avenge his wife and protect his child.

My Review:
I really enjoyed reading The Accident which was a real page-turner and I read it in one day. Never saw the ending of this one and was greatly surprised. This was my first Barclay book but won't be my last. ( )

EadieB | Jun 4, 2016 |
The Canadian-based journalist twists and turns the plot with believability and spices it with plenty of suspects and suspense. In some places, his homework does seem a bit lacking, but the book remains consistently interesting and ready to please thriller fans with both its action and pacing.

Barclay has turned in a home run with plenty of edge-of-the-seat moments.

The Accident" (Bantam Books), by Linwood Barclay: A husband is forced to confront his wife's secret life in "The Accident," Linwood Barclay's best thriller to date....Barclay channels the best of Harlan Coben and Lisa Gardner in stories of families in suburbia dealing with tragic circumstances. Readers will quickly become emotionally involved with Glen and his daughter and will flip the pages of "The Accident" to figure out the puzzle.

Former Toronto Star columnist Linwood Barclay has another page turner in his latest, a story of trouble and turmoil in suburbia, in this case, the town of Milford, Conn....Barclay tells a fine tale, with blackmail, murder, suspense and the murky world of counterfeit goods. Just when you think you’ve figured it out, well, you haven’t. Right to the end, there are twists and turns in the plot, and people who you thought were squeaky clean? Not so much.

Linwood Barclayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Berkrot, PeterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westberg, CarinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Neetha
Their names were Edna Bauer and Pam Steigerwald, and they were grade school teachers from Butler, Pennsylvania, and they had never been to New York in their entire lives.

from Amazon ca Product Description
In this mesmerizing thriller by acclaimed author Linwood Barclay, a typical American community descends into darkness, as an ordinary man is swept into one of the most violent mysteries of modern life.

It’s the new normal at the Garber household in Connecticut: Glen, a contractor, has seen his business shaken by the housing crisis, and now his wife, Sheila, is taking a business course at night to increase her chances of landing a good-paying job.

But she should have been home by now.

Waiting for Sheila’s return, with their eight-year-old daughter sleeping soundly, Glen soon finds his worst fears confirmed: Sheila and two others have been killed in a car accident. Adding to the tragedy, the police claim Sheila was responsible.

Glen knows it’s impossible; he knew his wife and she would never do such a thing. When he investigates, Glen begins to uncover layers of lawlessness beneath the placid surface of their suburb, secret after dangerous secret behind the closed doors.

Bold and timely, with the shocking twists and startling insights that have become trademarks of this new master of domestic suspense, The Accident is a riveting triumph, a book that moves at a breathless pace to a climax no one will see coming.

ORION BOOK EDITION:
Milford, Connecticut is a quiet orderly place to live, a good place to bring up kids. But people are beginning to feel the bite of financial hard times. And even normally law-abiding folks have started getting a little creative when it comes to making ends meet.
For Glen Garber, the recession has been particularly bad for his construction business, especially after a mysterious fire destroyed one of his buildings. But Glen's troubles are about to escalate to a whole new level. His wife, Sheila has her own plans for getting them out of their financial jam, plans that seem to involve a secret network of Milford's wives and are about to pay off big-time.

And that's when the accident happens...

Suddenly , it looks as if the neighbours' 'get rich quick' schemes are mote likely to get you dead, and Glen - no longer able to trust even the people he loves - must risk everything to find out what's lurking behind the town's idyllic facade before it's too late.

Because some accidents aren't accidents at all.

Glen Garber's wife Sheila is killed in a car accident and the police claim she was responsible. But Glen knows this is impossible. As he investigates he begins to uncover layers of lawlessness and secrets in his suburb. He is forced into a vortex of illegal activity, is persued by mysterious killers and confronted by threats from his neighbors. Can he avenge his wife and protect his child?… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Accident by Linwood Barclay was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,716,922 books! | Top bar: Always visible