The Emerald Atlas by John Stephens

The Emerald Atlas (2011)

by John Stephens

Series: Books of Beginning (1)

747None12,396 (3.97)42
Recently added bycastillobooks, paolaloris, Manua, madhatr, Kat_Hooper, private library, dividedby5, aelmer, krbarton
2011 (16) 2012 (6) adventure (41) ARC (11) audiobook (8) children (6) children's (11) children's fiction (7) dwarves (17) ebook (9) family (13) fantasy (130) fiction (37) juvenile (8) juvenile fiction (7) magic (48) middle grade (10) mystery (5) novel (6) orphans (35) read (5) series (14) siblings (18) time travel (53) to-read (26) unread (5) witches (7) wizards (9) YA (19) young adult (17)

English (72)  French (1)  All languages (73)
Kate, Michael and Emma are taken from their parents and sent to live in an orphanage at a very young age. For the 10 years to follow, the children bounce from orphanage to orphanage, and are maltreated. Then they are sent to a home in Cambridge falls. This desolate, mountainous and frankly creepy city is filled with secrets and stories. They stumble across an emerald bound leather book and are accidentally transported to 15 years in the past. From there, one event leads to another, keeping us on the edge of our seats, while the children try to stick together in the search for their parents, and to keep the city from it's future destruction.

I loved this book! In fact, I just checked the sequel out from the library to read over the break. The language that Stephens used was very emotional, and I quickly created bonds with the characters. I loved the close family bond that the three children had. The imagery was great, the vocabulary was fresh and unique. I was constantly on edge, and never bored because something was always brewing in the plot. The themes were evident and relateable to real life. I was sad when the children were not reunited with their parents at the end. Can't wait to read the sequels! ( )
  aelmer | Mar 13, 2014 |
Partner Book Assignment
  sbasler | Mar 12, 2014 |
This is an amazing book for both boys and girls. It has such great action and suspense throughout the whole thing that the reader never wants to put the book down.
  krbarton | Mar 11, 2014 |
This magical adventure fantasy is a great beginning to what I hope will be a trilogy, if the hints within this book are anything to go by. Full of magical creatures, not to mention truly evil, vile villains that you really hate, each event leads to another to keep your attention and interest in the lives of these three children and their companions. Full review here: http://tahleenreads.blogspot.com/2012/04/audiobook-review-emerald-atlas-by-john.... ( )
  Tahleen | Feb 16, 2014 |
I LOVE IT! Tearjerker, best chapters. Simply AMAZING! I can't hardly wait for the second book!! ( )
  lmeza | Feb 6, 2014 |

John Stephensprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dale, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents
The girl was shaken awake. Her mother was leaning over her.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375868704, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, April 2011: With a timeless writing style that invokes thoughts of children’s fantasy classics such as Philip Pullman’s The Golden Compass and J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, author John Stephens weaves a gripping tale of mystery and magic into The Emerald Atlas. His enchanting prose and spot-on wit can only be described as both hip (Stephens was previously the executive producer of Gossip Girls) and Dickensian, a delightful combination that will both engage young readers with its relatable nature and fascinate them with its aberrant charm. If Stephens's comic finesse and archetypal writing style aren’t enough to engage young readers, they will no doubt be captivated by the plot. Stephens's complex formula for time travel and fascinating explanation for the disappearance of the magical realm is so convincing that readers might begin to believe that there is, in fact, far more to the world than meets the eye. Thought-provoking and enchanting, The Emerald Atlas has the makings of a children’s classic. --Jacqueline Segall

Amazon-Exclusive Q&A with Author John Stephens
John StephensAmazon: You started off in television, co-producing and writing for The Gilmore Girls and The O.C., and then moved on to be the executive producer (and occasional writer and director) for Gossip Girls. After establishing yourself in Hollywood, what inspired you to change your course and write a children's book trilogy?

John: Honestly, sometimes I ask myself that question in the reverse. How did I ever end up in Hollywood? The truth is that writing novels was my first ambition, and given my druthers when I finished grad school, I probably would’ve gone off and just written books. The only problem was that at the time I was pretty bad at it. I really kinda stunk. As it turned out, I needed another decade of learning the craft before I was ready to write a novel. And, fortunately, writing for Hollywood turns out to be a great training ground. You learn how to work on a schedule, tell a satisfying story, build character, construct scenes, you develop a feel for dramatic momentum…and you get to tool around the Warner Bros lot on a golf cart, which is kind of awesome. In fact, writing and producing television was so much fun I kind of forgot about writing books for a while. That is, till the day I read The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman and realized that all I wanted to do was write children’s fantasy novels. And luckily by then I had the skills to pull it off without embarrassing myself.

Though I do still miss cruising around the lot on golf carts.

Amazon: The whole time I was reading The Emerald Atlas, I kept thinking what a great movie it would make. Are there any plans for a film version?

John: I hope so! Wouldn’t that be awesome? Unfortunately, at present, if people are making plans, they haven’t told me about them.

Amazon: I loved the characters of Kate, Emma, and Michael. They were all so relatable. I felt as if they were kids I had met before. Were your three young heroes inspired by anyone in your life or from your childhood?

John: Kate not so much (though she does share a name with my younger sister). Her closest inspiration came from a character in the movie Not One Less by Zyang Yimou, where this young girl is put in charge of a schoolhouse in rural China, and the teacher tells her that she’ll be paid if all the children are there when he returns. Well, of course one of the kids, this little rapscallion, runs away, and she has to track him down to this big city. And the job of finding this kid in this huge city is OVERWHELMING and yet this girl is unbelievably tenacious. I just loved that sense of incredible strength in someone so young.

Emma is partly inspired from a friend of mine, a writer I worked with who can be incredibly combative and feisty, but also has an enormous heart. I love that combination of fury and vulnerability.

Michael, in many ways, was based on me. We’re both the middle brother of two sisters, studious, wear glasses, think dwarves are awesome, and have a need to document our worlds. However, like all characters, he grew away from me and became much braver and more resourceful than I could ever hope to be.

Amazon: The fantasy world in The Emerald Atlas is described in such detail that it really comes to life in the mind of the reader. What was your inspiration for the world that Kate, Emma, and Michael happen upon?

John: The inspiration was the Adirondacks of upstate New York. A few years ago, I spent a lot of time up near Lake Placid and I found the area to be really magical and just imbued with history, in particular, a romantic, turn-of-the-century, Edith Wharton-type of history that I found very appealing. British fantasy writers are surrounded by buildings, streets, and graveyards that are centuries old. Fantasy and magic seems to cling to those places. It’s a little bit harder to find that in the States, but I felt the Adirondacks had that quality in spades, as well as being near the old stomping grounds of Washington Irving, who sort of began the tradition of American fantasy I was trying to nod towards.

Amazon: You have a distinctly individual voice and plotline in The Emerald Atlas, but your writing style does invoke thoughts of some children’s fantasy classics. The beginning portion of The Emerald Atlas reminded me a little bit of Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events, while the main body of your work read more similarly to C.S. Lewis’s The Chronicles of Narnia and Phillip Pullman’s His Dark Materials trilogy, and the action scenes reminded me most of J.K Rowling’s Harry Potter series. Which writers would you say inspired you most as an author?

John: First off, to say that my book reminds you of those writers is a HUGE compliment, so thank you. I feel very indebted to particular writers for very specific things. Among the ones you mention…from Pullman, I love the authority of his other worlds. He believes in Lyra’s world completely and he makes you believe in it. Also, his characters live at the edges of their feelings, which makes reading the books enormously exciting. From Lewis, at his best, he can convey a true sense of magic to readers, especially young readers. And though I don’t love all his books, his prose is always great. I admire so much about J.K. Rowling’s books but just to pick a couple things, she has a Dickensian affection for side characters that I also have. Also, she shares with Roald Dahl, one of my other literary heroes, a taste for the comic grotesque. I’m deeply indebted to Edith Nesbit, most particularly for her Bastable books. I love her humor, her lightness of touch and above all the interaction of her children. And finally, I’d just say Dickens for so many things, but mostly because he proved again and again that a funny book can also be moving.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:49 -0400)

Kate, Michael, and Emma have passed from one orphanage to another in the ten years since their parents disappeared to protect them, but now they learn that they have special powers, a prophesied quest to find a magical book, and a fearsome enemy.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,483,854 books! | Top bar: Always visible