Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

You Know When The Men Are Gone by Siobhan…

You Know When The Men Are Gone

by Siobhan Fallon

Recently added bylunule, etbm2003, wscalfaro, private library, Denisodea, knownever, PDE, mtgilead, lilymorgan, lmcclive

I was looking forward to reading this book, because we have been stationed in Ft. Hood, and also, my husband has been deployed many times. However, I was disappointed that the characters in the book mainly seem to only appear for one chapter. I wish that the author had developed the characters more. It seemed more like she wrote the outline for a possible TV show where each episode is centered on a different person. My husband, who also read the the book, said it felt like the first part of a trilogy, which he would read if it was published. ( )
  yukon92 | Mar 28, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I can admit to being unsure about this book. I didn't think I would be able to connect with any of the stories because I'm not the wife of anyone, much less the wife of a soldier. However, I was hooked after the first story. Beautifully written, with many voices and viewpoints. It provides a glimpse into the lives of our soldiers and their families and allows the reader to understand (even if just as an outsider) the sacrifices the soldiers AND their wives make to protect our country. ( )
  melissarochelle | Apr 10, 2013 |
I didn't think I'd like this collection of stories. I feel so strongly against the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and have mixed feelings about the soldiers who fight there. But Siobhan's stories are beautifully written, full of complexity and humanity. I still feel the same way about the military, but I'm very glad I read these stories, and had the opportunity to hang out with these women and men for a few days. ( )
  EllenMeeropol | Apr 7, 2013 |
review to come ( )
  cait815 | Apr 1, 2013 |
I found this collection of short stories interesting but frustrating. Too many unanswered questions . . . could not finish the book. ( )
  NBLibGirl | Jan 19, 2013 |
"In an accomplished debut story collection, Fallon lays bare the lonely lives of military families when the men go to war. In these eight loosely connected tales, the families of Fort Hood, Texas, wait for their men to come home. That waiting, filled with anxiety, boredom and sometimes resentment, creates a Godot-like existence, in which real life begins only when a soldier’s deployment ends... Fallon reveals the mostly hidden world of life on base for military families, and offers a powerful, unsentimental portrait of America at war. A fresh look at the Iraq war as it plays out on the domestic front."

added by siobhanfallon | editKirkus

The crucial role of military wives becomes clear in Fallon's powerful, resonant debut collection, where the women are linked by absence and a pervading fear that they'll become war widows. In the title story, a war bride from Serbia finds she can't cope with the loneliness and her outsider status, and chooses her own way out. The wife in "Inside the Break" realizes that she can't confront her husband's probable infidelity with a female soldier in Iraq; as in other stories, there's a gap between what she can imagine and what she can bear to know. In "Remission," a cancer patient waiting on the results of a crucial test is devastated by the behavior of her teenage daughter, and while the trials of adolescence are universal, this story is particularized by the unique tensions between military parents and children. One of the strongest stories, "You Survived the War, Now Survive the Homecoming," attests to the chasm separating men who can't speak about the atrocities they've experienced and their wives, who've lived with their own terrible burdens. Fallon writes with both grit and grace: her depiction of military life is enlivened by telling details, from the early morning sound of boots stomping down the stairs to the large sign that tallies automobile fatalities of troops returned from Iraq. Significant both as war stories and love stories, this collection certifies Fallon as an indisputable talent. (Jan.) (STARRED REVIEW)

To K.C. : best friend, husband, father solider. You are always worth the wait.
In Fort Hood housing, like all army housing, you get used to hearing through the walls.

A collection of interconnected stories relate the experiences of Fort Hood military wives who share a poignant vigil during which they raise children while waiting for their husbands to return.

Siobhan Fallon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

You Know When the Men Are Gone by Siobhan Fallon was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,710,011 books! | Top bar: Always visible