Under the Mercy Trees: A Novel by Heather…

Under the Mercy Trees: A Novel

by Heather Newton

The book reminded me of The Sound and the Fury with all the different voices. The characters did not tell their own story, but an uninterested narrator explained each person. The story begins with the disappearance of the oldest of 5 siblings of a rural, mountainous town. The family and friends gather to search for the missing Leon. In the course of the narrator's ramblings, the reader learns that Martin, the youngest, is a homosexual, and that Liza, a family friend, ignores this for decades. Bertie, the wife of James, had a brief 3 day fling and no one in the town knows with whom. Sister Ivy has led a terrible life with being raped at 13 years old by a friend of Leon. And Eugenia is the "holy" woman that attends church, but has a vicious tongue. Heather Newton presents characters with all their flaws and not glossed over life Hollywood stars. As each character realizes their short comings, the story suddenly ends. ( )
  delphimo | Nov 15, 2015 |
Loved it. A great family story & mystery. ( )
  pidgeon92 | Apr 1, 2013 |
My sister-in-law insisted I read this book. I will admit that for the past many, many days I have been telling her the same thing: I like this book, but I keep finding reasons to set it aside. It's just not grabbing hold of me. She kept telling me to keep on, and I did. Today during a lull at the store I decided to pick it up and knock a little more off, and OH MY GOODNESS did it ever just reach out and yank me up. I knew from the get-go that Heather Newton's writing was marvelous but I just was not connecting with any of the characters. Until... but you will find that place in the story yourself, I promise. Do I have to sum it up? Here goes - it's all about the power of love and family and place, and how that power holds past and future and cures and curses all in its knotted glory. ( )
  BluesGal79 | Mar 31, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
LOVED!!! This was a great read! The ending was surprising and all the mysteries are tied up at the end! ( )
  buddysmom78 | Apr 8, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really can't explain why but the characters did not resonate with me. I usually like books set in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina but the Owenby family in general was hard to like. They were not a happy bunch and Martin, the main character never reaches his potential as a writer even after having the local small town doctor pay his way through the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Leon, the brother who disappears never seems like a nice person and the sister-in-law who had a brief affair with him when her marriage to his brother turned sour was in a needy place. He seemed to be the only available man around for her to fool around with. ( )
  bettyjo | May 22, 2011 |
A brilliantly crafted novel of a complex family bound by love and hate, hope and regret, a family that must come to terms with each other and in the process, forgive themselves. You’ll find a bit of your own family there and perhaps something of yourself.
added by nata_ku | editMine, Natalija Kuznecova (Nov 19, 2010)

"Thirty years ago, Martin Owenby came to New York City with dreams of becoming a writer. Now his existence revolves around cheap Scotch and weekend flings with equally damaged men. When he learns that his older brother, Leon, has gone missing, he must return to the Owenby farm in Solace Fork, North Carolina, to assist in the search. But that means facing a past filled with regrets, the family that never understood him, the girl whose heart he broke, and the best friend who has faithfully kept the home fires burning. As the mystery surrounding Leon's disappearance deepens, so too does the weight of decades-long unresolved differences and unspoken feelings?forcing Martin to deal with the hardest lessons about home, duty, and love"--Publisher's description.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Heather Newton's book Under the Mercy Trees was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Heather Newton is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,776,822 books! | Top bar: Always visible